Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

juliuspringle posted:

So nothing unlocks stuff in the main game? That was my main concern.
Like I said, they're standalone. Separate character, separate plot. Just the maps are the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The complete edition will have you start with a couple of utterly broken runes though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I usually ended up replacing those, myself, because regular high-level runes are often better for utility. The DLC runes are good for straight fights, but you often don't really want to have a straight fight.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

you often don't really want to have a straight fight.

I'm learning this the hard way. I just want to Batman some orcs. One Orc is like level 14 now because he keeps just kinda being there (I swear I'm not actively looking for him) and then it turns into a massive fight I eventually lose. I still haven't seemingly done enough story to unlock any more skills yet which might be part of the problem.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

I'm learning this the hard way. I just want to Batman some orcs. One Orc is like level 14 now because he keeps just kinda being there (I swear I'm not actively looking for him) and then it turns into a massive fight I eventually lose. I still haven't seemingly done enough story to unlock any more skills yet which might be part of the problem.
Looks like you're making your first experiences with the Nemesis System! Keep telling us about Nemesis Orc, if you want. It'll only become more funny and over-the-top over time, I promise.

And yeah, some skills are story-locked, but it's really only a few. Most are level-locked, which is dependent on your experience total, I think. I've been playing more Shadow of War than Shadow of Mordor at this point, so my memories are fuzzy, but I think it's mostly the animal skills and one special thing that I don't want to tell you about yet. BTW, Shadow of War? Like Shadow of Mordor, but better in every sense. If you're still interested in the gameplay after getting done with this one, buy it. It's worth the money, especially on a sale.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 26, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shadow of Mordor was super fun when I got caught in those massive base fights where I was surrounded by dozens of orcs and named orcs would show up here and there. The one drawback was that ranged enemies forced me to the periphery of the fight too often when I would have preferred being in the thick of things.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Ok Shadow of Mordor just got better. I got far enough in the story missions to unlock wraith flash (which I haven't really used yet) long story short remember you can stun people to temporarily take them out of the fight so you can finish someone off. It is INCREDIBLY satisfying to finally murder a couple Orcs that killed you the previous 5 or 6 times they randomly showed up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

juliuspringle posted:

Ok Shadow of Mordor just got better. I got far enough in the story missions to unlock wraith flash (which I haven't really used yet) long story short remember you can stun people to temporarily take them out of the fight so you can finish someone off. It is INCREDIBLY satisfying to finally murder a couple Orcs that killed you the previous 5 or 6 times they randomly showed up.
The Nemesis system is great. Just you wait until you progress further into the story...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

There are some upcoming powers I think you'll find even more fun. The best ones of these get three or four optional variations in Shadow of War that you can switch between, too.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
Thinking about being brave and heading into Subnautica. The open ocean terrifies me so it should be a hoot. Anything I should be aware of?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

scanner rooms sound useless but they're actually a pretty neat way to get an ingame map. Once you have the resources to set up a base, pick a spot that borders two or three biomes - the edge between red grass zone, green kelp and the shallows you start in is a good spot.

Most importantly though, pick a spot that looks nice.

Also don't activate the hunger and thirst meters, it's pointless busywork.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rahzmataz posted:

Thinking about being brave and heading into Subnautica. The open ocean terrifies me so it should be a hoot. Anything I should be aware of?
The wiki's pretty comprehensive, but off the top of my head, and trying not to spoil.
- Bleached water is more space efficient, but fish filtered water is in infinite supply.
- Food spoils, but live fish stuffed in a box doesn't.
- Sulfur is in the pods that shoot out missile fish.
- There's an early base station that lets you search for the closest instances of certain resources, and it will save you hours of wandering around randomly looking for the last of whatever doodads you need to get to the next level of the tech tree.
- Bring a decoy if you're going anywhere deep enough that you can't see the bottom from the surface.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Rahzmataz posted:

The game is excellent.

-Building a single tube section with lockers and a fabricator (powered by a solar panel or two) is a good way to start the game.
-Radio signals will give you markers that generally lead to new biomes or technology. Some PDAs will actually have codes or hints in them so they're worth actually reading.
-Those tiny Aurora boxes scattered around the sea floor and wrecks generally have fragments, if you get closer to the Aurora wreck there tends to be more. Its a good way to get some early tech.
-RNG can sometimes make certain fragments very tough to find, asking in the Subnautica thread can keep you generally spoiler free. Try to avoid the wikia, it'll define the world and creatures too much and take away that fun fun terror.
-Carry a marker beacon or two on you, and drop them around the world. Name them properly and they'll be invaluable. You can also turn off markers in the pda to declutter the HUD.
-There really isn't a 'best' location for a base. Some are more handy but don't get too hung up on that. Just build wherever you want, you can have as many outposts as you want.
-Use your ears, the sounds of the various creatures are all distinct and a certain roar is one of the only ways you'll know your entire poo poo is about to get wrecked. Pausing and listening in certain areas is good way to avoid having A Bad Time.

There is actually a mod on the Nexus and the subnautica thread here that lets the fabricator automatically pull items from storage which is extremely nice QOL, but it isn't mandatory. There are also mods that add maps into the PDAs but I recommend avoiding those and avoiding actually looking at the maps online for awhile. Let the world remain unknown.

Edit: Anyone got anything for Phantom Doctrine for me?

Wrr fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 27, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
For Subnautica, I'd also highly recommend using headphones while playing. The ambient noise of that game can really pull you in.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Rahzmataz posted:

Take a leak BEFORE you start. While the game is mostly chill, some parts of it will make you shriek like a 3-year-old.

If you want to make enameled glass, the teeth you want are on the ocean floor.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't really liked Subnautica since the devs decided to remove anything even vaguely weapon-like on the basis of "we don't want you to fight and we don't care that you people dislike this" way back in the early access. I didn't even like fighting stuff to begin with, I just think it just speaks of a really crappy and self-absorbed attitude to your player base. I've kinda regretted the tenner I spent on it ever since.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Kruller posted:

If you want to make enameled glass, the teeth you want are on the ocean floor.

They can be hard as poo poo to find and they only spawn near a certain fish. The scanner room is your friend here.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

There are some upcoming powers I think you'll find even more fun. The best ones of these get three or four optional variations in Shadow of War that you can switch between, too.

I hate some of the choices that forces you to take though. Some of them make sense (e.g. choose if you want fire/ice/poison for your arrow explosion), but others are kind of frustrating (e.g. I can either get arrows back from draining orcs OR dominate orcs). There should've been a mode where you can stack all the buffs and be the most goddamn ridiculous ghost ninja batman possible.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bedurndurn posted:

I hate some of the choices that forces you to take though. Some of them make sense (e.g. choose if you want fire/ice/poison for your arrow explosion), but others are kind of frustrating (e.g. I can either get arrows back from draining orcs OR dominate orcs). There should've been a mode where you can stack all the buffs and be the most goddamn ridiculous ghost ninja batman possible.
I can recommend you a cheat engine table that allows you to do exactly this, if you're interested.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wrr posted:

Edit: Anyone got anything for Phantom Doctrine for me?

Off the top of my head, knockouts can be performed in combat and the health requirement is for *current* health, not max. That means that if you want to kidnap an enemy agent but his health exceeds yours then you can tap him once and then knock him out.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Subnautica tip that I wish I'd known:
- If your scanner gives you a name but no "pick up" option, stab it with your knife. This applies to lots of objects.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Lobok posted:

Shadow of Mordor was super fun when I got caught in those massive base fights where I was surrounded by dozens of orcs and named orcs would show up here and there. The one drawback was that ranged enemies forced me to the periphery of the fight too often when I would have preferred being in the thick of things.

Ranged enemies were my bane, too, when I played but then you have to remember, you have ranged attacks too. There's tons of runes that say "give back focus for doing whatever" and you're like why would I do that until you get a face full of spears. Shoot them in the face first

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

edit: misclicked post

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Odd posted:

Ranged enemies were my bane, too, when I played but then you have to remember, you have ranged attacks too. There's tons of runes that say "give back focus for doing whatever" and you're like why would I do that until you get a face full of spears. Shoot them in the face first
"Return focus on headshot" is literally the best rune in the game. Whenever I find one, I keep it, even if it's level 4 and I'm level 48. It's just that good. You can mow down entire squads that way.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

"Return focus on headshot" is literally the best rune in the game. Whenever I find one, I keep it, even if it's level 4 and I'm level 48. It's just that good. You can mow down entire squads that way.
Shooting people point blank in the face is totally a valid strategy in Shadow of Mordor as I'm learning.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It absolutely is. In fact, it's a really good one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oxygen Not Included
- Use the wiki and the SA thread, you've got enough trial and error ahead of you without figuring out how game mechanics work on top of that.
- The best perks are the one that increases athletics, and the ones that decrease food/oxygen consumption. Similarly, the worst flaws are the ones that are the opposite of that, and Flatulent. Everything else can be played around.
- Rush researching the first level of farming and start a mealwort farm ASAP. It's not the most efficient use of water, but it will keep your dudes fed while you figure out the early game. You'll need about five planters/farm tiles per Dup.
- Ignore the game's oxygen production suggestions, a single oxidizer is enough for 5 Dupes.
- Don't go past 5 Dupes at first, and be selective about which ones you create. Any more than that and keeping them all breathing and fed can quickly overwhelm a new player.
- Use the overlays in the top right regularly. The room overlay can help you get a lot of that crucial early game Morale, and ones like the Oxygen and Temperature overlays can help you see a problem coming before it kills your entire base.
- Decor is more important than it seems. Sweep the floors (hit K) in places your Dupes spend a lot of time and research the first two levels of furniture/art fairly early on.
- Avoid the Slime at first until you understand air purification. Slimelung can easily kill your Dupes with very little counterplay if you let it get around.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 29, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Don’t take flatulent dupes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Don’t take flatulent dupes.
Added.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Anything for Fallout 76?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The Berzerker posted:

Anything for Fallout 76?
I tried to get suggestions going a few pages ago but nobody took the bait; basically all quality of life tips from Fallout 4 still apply, as the game plays almost the same but with more weapons, armor, and creatures, and the building system is almost identical.

The most useful thing unique to this game is probably to always scrap your junk before you stash it, as it can make it weight far less (a big concern given the 600 pound stash limit at your C.A.M.P.). Oh and that all stashes in the game have your stuff in them, and that you can craft from materials in the stash rather than having to carry junk with you.

Most everything else is fairly well-explained by the quests you get when leaving the Vault I would say? Except super-specific quest pointers but, again, is that something you really need to know before you play?

Oh. Once you get power armor, always log out while wearing it, given that more than once I have logged in to find myself in a nuclear blast zone where I would have quickly died if not protected from radiation.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Dr. Quarex posted:

The most useful thing unique to this game is probably to always scrap your junk before you stash it, as it can make it weight far less (a big concern given the 600 pound stash limit at your C.A.M.P.). Oh and that all stashes in the game have your stuff in them, and that you can craft from materials in the stash rather than having to carry junk with you.

So if I find a random workbench out in the world, I can craft at it using stuff in my stash?
Good tip on scrapping before storing.

Are there any 'safe' spaces to pause if I had to take a phone call? Can I be attacked in my C.A.M.P. (by creatures, not players, I know I have to engage with them for PVP to happen)? Any early items that make things easier or improve QOL? I made an effort to trade a bunch of crap early on to buy the Endurance Bobblehead from the first town (the rescuer HQ or whatever it is called) but beyond that I've just been walking around doing the occasional quest.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The Berzerker posted:

So if I find a random workbench out in the world, I can craft at it using stuff in my stash?
Good tip on scrapping before storing.

Are there any 'safe' spaces to pause if I had to take a phone call? Can I be attacked in my C.A.M.P. (by creatures, not players, I know I have to engage with them for PVP to happen)? Any early items that make things easier or improve QOL? I made an effort to trade a bunch of crap early on to buy the Endurance Bobblehead from the first town (the rescuer HQ or whatever it is called) but beyond that I've just been walking around doing the occasional quest.
Yes, you can craft anywhere with your goods stored in your stash and/or on your person. As for safe spaces, none of them are immediately accessible, other than the interior of Whitesprings (well there are probably more I am not thinking of right now, but most that come to mind are faction-based). You can definitely be attacked in your C.A.M.P. though usually it will be by enemies certainly, I have only ever been attacked by a player once in like 200 hours of playing. Bobbleheads and magazines are much less useful than in Fallout 4, so sadly thanks for reminding me to mention that. Now they provide a temporary buff, always useful but obviously very situational.

Improving quality of life... Keep in mind that you should not keep hoarding weapons or armor way over your level, just sell or scrap them since you will no doubt find more and better by the time you get to that level. Hmm...

Power Armor is objectively more powerful than other armor; even if the stats seem similar the difference is still enormous.

There are uhh seven? different vendor caps pools, I know there is a map of them out there somewhere. Oh no gotta abruptly go

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thanks for that advice. Sounds like I wasted a lot of time scrounging junk to sell for 1 cap each to buy a Bobblehead - didn't realize they were temporary effects, goddamn.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I bought it 7 years ago, and it's 11 years old now, but I'm finally playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. I remember firing it up after getting it, having heard four straight years of "omg best thing since Fallout" only to die to the first enemy after leaving the opening camp. Is the Before I Play wiki up to date? And are there any QOL mods to make this 2007 game feel a little more modern?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It could be better formatted, but the information is good, on the whole. QoL mods will be hard to get because this is one of those "all or nothing" engines. What you can get will mostly be major collections, with wide and sweeping changes and often towards the direction of making things even harder. It might be best to just play it as-is first.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

It could be better formatted, but the information is good, on the whole. QoL mods will be hard to get because this is one of those "all or nothing" engines. What you can get will mostly be major collections, with wide and sweeping changes and often towards the direction of making things even harder. It might be best to just play it as-is first.
Any reason to play SoC first, or is it like Fallout where the games aren't connected? Reading a little more in this thread, it seems it has the sort of infuriating, "Alt-F4 and snap-uninstall" save-ruining bugs that turned me off of PC gaming for decades.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Easy Diff posted:

Any reason to play SoC first, or is it like Fallout where the games aren't connected? Reading a little more in this thread, it seems it has the sort of infuriating, "Alt-F4 and snap-uninstall" save-ruining bugs that turned me off of PC gaming for decades.
No, not really. Plot-wise, the games are basically stand-alone, they just take place in the same setting and general geographic area. You may run into the occasional reference to events in earlier games, but there is really nothing you need to know. I skipped over the middle game entirely and do not feel like I missed anything, if that's more your jam.

FWIW, I've never run into any save-breaking bugs either. So long as you keep rolling saves and don't just overwrite the same file over and over, that's really a minor concern at best, anyway.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 31, 2018

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Anyone got advice for Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance? Birth By Sleep's command melding was pretty easy to mess up, and I figure DDD's pokemon are gonna be just as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Easy Diff posted:

I remember firing it up only to die to the first enemy after leaving the opening camp.

This is incredibly normal by the way. This game is not a regular shooter where you can soak up bullets and charge headfirst into battle. You have to stay in cover, flank enemies, get headshots, use shotguns at close range, and not get shot at too much yourself. Every encounter after the first one gets easier as you both get better gear, and more in tune with how the game wants you to play.