Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Plutonis posted:

Also someone brought up to me how that goes with the order for snipers to shoot to kill anyone seeing armed in Rio. I hope they get some middle class "pai de familia" dipshit for once.

I guess it's more likely than one would think since the paper bag test doesn't work in Brazil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I guess it's more likely than one would think since the paper bag test doesn't work in Brazil.

You had me look up the paper bag test.

There's no fraternities here either but we metaphorically have it, it's just that racism has never really been coded into law here so there's been no civil rights legal fight to be had. We on the left call this the "racial democracy myth", started in the 30's by Gilberto Freyre in the book Casa-Grande & Senzala that started this myth that because we're all mixed race and society somehow functions, there's just no racism in Brazil. The country was trying to affirm it's national identity, from this time comes the national tenets like samba and football. This myth was heavily promoted internationally by the nationalist Vargas government, and has become something of a national pride issue, but it's absolutely not true.

bagual has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Dec 31, 2018

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

Gun laws coming yall

Are they trying to disarm you all?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bagual posted:

There's no fraternities here either but we metaphorically have it, it's just that racism has never really been coded into law here so there's been no civil rights legal fight to be had. We on the left call this the "racial democracy myth", started in the 30's by Gilberto Freyre in the book Casa-Grande & Senzala that started this myth that because we're all mixed race and society somehow functions, there's just no racism in Brazil. The country was trying to affirm it's national identity, from this time comes the national tenets like samba and football. This myth was heavily promoted internationally by the nationalist Vargas government, and has become something of a national pride issue, but it's absolutely not true.

What I mean by the paper bag test not working is that in the United States you can be safely assured that any white guy carrying a gun in public is a god fearing freedom loving Trump voter, but in Brazil you never know who is the child raping cultural marxist just by looking at them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What I mean by the paper bag test not working is that in the United States you can be safely assured that any white guy carrying a gun in public is a god fearing freedom loving Trump voter, but in Brazil you never know who is the child raping cultural marxist just by looking at them.

Well, kiiiiiinda, our paper bags are just a lot darker.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dias posted:

Well, kiiiiiinda, our paper bags are just a lot darker.

I guess if some olive skinned Bolsonaro voter got domed by a police sniper, they'd just repress the story and it wouldn't matter anyway.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I guess if some olive skinned Bolsonaro voter got domed by a police sniper, they'd just repress the story and it wouldn't matter anyway.

They wouldn't bother repressing the story, a poor photoshop of him as a drug dealer is released within hours and the internet hate machine takes care of the rest.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They already kicked the poo poo out of one and he realised he might have made a mistake lol

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Jose posted:

They already kicked the poo poo out of one and he realised he might have made a mistake lol

I remember that one, didn’t his own mother blame him for looking suspicious lmao

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

bagual posted:

They wouldn't bother repressing the story, a poor photoshop of him as a drug dealer is released within hours and the internet hate machine takes care of the rest.

Or straight up admit what he is, say that Bolsonaro is "against populism of all kinds" and attempt to have SIC poo poo out a weepy "He just wants to be the Macron of the Southern Hemisphere, why are you lefties so ungrateful" piece so Older Brother Portugal can be pleased with such a rational and kind and unifying leader like Marcelo himself. As long as no Portuguese person is touched, the real danger to the freedom of speech and the press comes from heads of parties calling them imbeciles sometimes. Even less effort will be required.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Journalists covering Bolsonaro's inauguration are being humiliated by being forced to stay inside an empty room without chairs, water or access to bathrooms

On the outside, bolsonarists chants "Faceebook! Whatsapp!"

https://twitter.com/JotaInfo/status/1080111070516334593

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

God drat the next 1520 days are going to kick rear end

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also social media is probably the second worst thing to happen to humanity after urbanization

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Same, but capitalism and vuvuzelas.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Our lunatic Foreign Relations minister is meeting with Pompeo tomorrow

LET’S GET THIS WAR WITH VENEZUELA STARTED, BOYS

https://twitter.com/uolnoticias/status/1080153825388969984?s=21

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Elias_Maluco posted:

Journalists covering Bolsonaro's inauguration are being humiliated by being forced to stay inside an empty room without chairs, water or access to bathrooms

Emperor Zuck likes this

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
On the outside, bolsonarists chant "GIVE ME THE ZUCK!"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i really hope the facebook cops end up mowing them down, gently caress it, full dystopia

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
the new york times, shining bastion of liberal democracy

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/netanyahu/status/1080147626262233089?s=19

Awesome Interactions

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

I hope those subhumans get drafted and super Zika and malaria

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
https://twitter.com/gil_alessi/status/1080182466336432130?s=21

Bolsonaro’s speech ends with: “This is our flag and it shall never be red. It shall only be red if our blood becomes necessary to keep it green and yellow”

... Which is both fash as gently caress, and would mean the flag would end up being red.

Also someone literally made a political charge describing this a few months back.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hope their blood ends up on their stupid flag

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Which heads of state were there in the inauguration? Only Bibi?

:hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol:

Happy new year, fellow Brazilians. drat this people all the way to hell.

Negostrike has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Jan 1, 2019

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

fascists destroying ultimately much more easier to control establishment media, leaving only social media that might be on their side for now but is uncontrollable, will come back to bite them.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/VEJA/status/1080147536776695808

:hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol::hmbol:

2019 is gonna be the Year of HMBOL

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

fascists destroying ultimately much more easier to control establishment media, leaving only social media that might be on their side for now but is uncontrollable, will come back to bite them.

social media is easily controllable

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

social media is easily controllable

not as easily controllable as just directly taking over television and news media imo.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Finally a comprehensive article on how the guardian went full neoliberal once Greenwald left...

has he ever spoken up about it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What does that say

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

"You Better Get Used to It" , with Jair's name used there as a pun. So yeah that's a Pro-Bolso being hassled by Brazilian Police.

He can't even be bothered to bring up how Telesur (As one of their former employees) was censored in Brazil to avoid Pro-Lula coverage when he goes on his "Actually telling Milo/CHUDs to gently caress off gives precedent for leftist coverage to be censored" shitfits, so he sure as poo poo doesn't even bother with Guardian.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

What does that say

the bolso supporters got tear gassed and complained about it

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
going through brazilian twitter and idk if its a bunch of bots but if not it seems like brazilians are a bunch of *loud honking noise so i dont eat a probe*

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mila kunis posted:

going through brazilian twitter and idk if its a bunch of bots but if not it seems like brazilians are a bunch of *loud honking noise so i dont eat a probe*

It's a bunch of bots plus the loud minority that went 100% Full Fash. A lot of people voted for Bolsonaro but most of them just bought into the hard stance against crime and anti-corruption (which is also anti-PT/left) discourse.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Dias posted:

It's a bunch of bots plus the loud minority that went 100% Full Fash. A lot of people voted for Bolsonaro but most of them just bought into the hard stance against crime and anti-corruption (which is also anti-PT/left) discourse.

its cool how the We Need A Tough Guy poo poo still works even though all it produces is people who sell the country off and weaken it, over and over. wonder if we'll ever get a peron style genuine nationalist again

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

not as easily controllable as just directly taking over television and news media imo.

Convincing people that the press (and the scientists and the academics etc) is lying all the time as part of a global conspiracy and then feeding them the version of reality you want through social media has proved to be a lot more practical, and powerful. Specifically when said people want to believe those lies because it makes then feel good about their prejudices and hatreds

It's working all over the world

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Jan 1, 2019

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

Convincing people that the press (and the scientists and the academics etc) is lying all the time as part of a global conspiracy and then feeding them the version of reality you want through social media has proved to be a lot more practical, and powerful. Specifically when said people want to believe those lies because it makes than feel good about their prejudices and hatred

It's working all over the world

that works great when youre out of power and trying to seize it, but still would be more effective to just directly control all means of mass communication when in power directly. see: china

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

bagual posted:

~~~luso-tropicalismo~~~

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I've recently seen poo poo recently like people trying to claim Integralism as the 'woke' and 'chill' fascism too even though while Plinio Salgado didn't had any outward hostility to mixed race/black people, they had a lot of antisemitism mixed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

José Carioca posted:

Emboscada da polícia e pegue suas armas.

/
:parrot: