Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Molentik posted:

Don't forget all the castor oil leaking from the engine acting as a laxative.
wait, castor oil? the engine was lubricated with laxatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yep.

I expect those pilots were smelling just as pungent as their trench bound comrades during their action.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

Caulk the tank and float it across!

Trade it to the depot for the last Tauchpanzer in existence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Molentik posted:

Don't forget all the castor oil leaking from the engine acting as a laxative.

“leaking”

Rotary engines had total‐loss lubrication by design.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Platystemon posted:

“leaking”

Rotary engines had total‐loss lubrication by design.

Same with the pilot's digestive system after getting a faceful of castor oil for a couple hours.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is that a yes?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did WW2 bombers at least have some kind of poop chute?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is that a yes?

Wikipedia posted:

An unfortunate side-effect was that World War I pilots inhaled and swallowed a considerable amount of the oil during flight, leading to persistent diarrhoea.

quote:

Arthur Gould Lee (2012). Open Cockpit: A Pilot of the Royal Flying Corps. Grub Street. ISBN 978-1-908117-25-0.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
World War II bombers had a copilot to hold the controls and a bucket off in a corner, with a lid.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So when you watch old footage of Allied airmen heroically return from their missions and climb down the ladder and celebrate with their comrades it’s more likely than not that they have a giant load in their pants.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did WW2 bombers at least have some kind of poop chute?

I don't know about anyone else but I wouldnt pass up the opportunity to literally poo poo on my enemies.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder if anyone got called "the brown baron"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Don Gato posted:

I don't know about anyone else but I wouldnt pass up the opportunity to literally poo poo on my enemies.

There were crew members who did exactly this, according to stories. Crap in a box, drop box along with bomb load when over target.

Bombers also had "relief tubes," which were more or less exactly what they sounded like, when crew needed to pee.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So at the end of Top Gun when Tom Cruise is emotionally celebrating on the carrier deck as the music triumphantly swells is he carrying around a load in his pants?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So at the end of Top Gun when Tom Cruise is emotionally celebrating on the carrier deck as the music triumphantly swells is he carrying around a load in his pants?

well yeah

why do you think he kept talking about the deuce he splattered all over the canopy

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

fishmech posted:

World War II bombers had a copilot to hold the controls and a bucket off in a corner, with a lid.

DO NOT POO IN THE CHEMICAL TOILET.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GotLag posted:

I believe I read in this very thread (or an earlier incarnation) that in WW2 the Afrika Korps were still making themselves sick by not digging proper latrines and just making GBS threads, like, wherever

Edit:
https://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwii/PM4/Ch17-3.htm

the British solution was to have a wooden box with a hole that could be covered by a leather flap, so that flies couldn't get inside the poop sites, land on the poop, then fly back to your food to spread poop on it

the Germans had uncovered poop piles

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The russians used a pencil

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Self-testing isn't unethical. After all, it's the only situation that guarantees truly informed consent(though making a pact for all the researchers to infect themselves, then skipping town the day before you get bitten is a dick move).

Now, it can be stupid as gently caress, but twelve Nobel prize winners won it because of self-experimentation (latest was in 2005, for proving that bacteria cause stomach ulcers by chugging a bunch of bacteria and getting ulcers.)

That's true, when I said ethics I was really thinking more broadly about how they basically had complete freedom to do crazy experiments without any oversight or care as to the consequences. Their real failing was being super lazy, most of the researchers just wanted to be done with these ridiculous tests on gnats before they could actually get down to the real work on fomite particles.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there actual evidence of anyone really using double-bitted axes for real as a weapon?

This is from a ways back but I just remembered it, and the answer is yes. They were common among Indo-Persian horsemen in the 18th century and probably in other periods as well.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

HEY GUNS posted:

wait, castor oil? the engine was lubricated with laxatives?

Yep, almost always castor oil. It was cheap, effective and used to lubricate EVERYTHING.

The Germans tried to use something called Voltol because of castor bean import bans to Germany during WW1. Which was bad because the benzine used in German aircraft fuel did bad things to it...

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Milo and POTUS posted:

The russians used a pencil

wat ?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

I wonder if anyone got called "the brown baron"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s a joke about the myth of the Fisher Space Pen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQy1DH38E5g

In reality, both nations started with pencils, grease pens, and felt pens

Fisher developed the pen with private money. Both countries immediately placed orders because there are actually problems with pencils in space.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 1, 2019

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I know that WW2 aircraft were armoured, which prompted (almost) everyone to switch to cannons. Did they stop armouring planes after WW2? Or would regular rifle rounds still bounce off an F-16? What about an F-86?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

How did the constipated mathematician work it out?

with a pencil

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Splode posted:

I know that WW2 aircraft were armoured, which prompted (almost) everyone to switch to cannons. Did they stop armouring planes after WW2? Or would regular rifle rounds still bounce off an F-16? What about an F-86?
The majority of modern aircraft are unarmoured except from the front of the canopy, which is still made from bulletproof glass to protect the pilot from bird strikes. Not that WW2 planes were generally very heavily armoured, usually it was just splinter plates behind the pilot's seat and maybe in a couple of other critical areas and some bulletproof glass. Cannons weren't about penetrating armour so much as making it easier to kill bombers which are difficult to shoot down with rifle calibres due to their sheer volume.

I'm not actually sure how contemporary single-piece canopies solve the bird strike problem, presumably they're made entirely from bulletproof glass.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

FrangibleCover posted:

The majority of modern aircraft are unarmoured except from the front of the canopy, which is still made from bulletproof glass to protect the pilot from bird strikes. Not that WW2 planes were generally very heavily armoured, usually it was just splinter plates behind the pilot's seat and maybe in a couple of other critical areas and some bulletproof glass. Cannons weren't about penetrating armour so much as making it easier to kill bombers which are difficult to shoot down with rifle calibres due to their sheer volume.

I'm not actually sure how contemporary single-piece canopies solve the bird strike problem, presumably they're made entirely from bulletproof glass.

Cheers

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
WRT castor oil engines this was just posted in the OSHA thread:

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GI9gLFTC-s

It’s spraying out two cubic centimetres of castor oil every second.

Note the strip of oil getting exhausted onto the driveway pavement, also note that this is a rotary engine and not a radial so the entire engine spins with the prop instead of the engine remaining stationary and driving the prop which is mounted on a rotating shaft..

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

C.M. Kruger posted:

WRT castor oil engines this was just posted in the OSHA thread:

Note the strip of oil getting exhausted onto the driveway pavement, also note that this is a rotary engine and not a radial so the entire engine spins with the prop instead of the engine remaining stationary and driving the prop which is mounted on a rotating shaft..

it's so beautiful

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

the British solution was to have a wooden box with a hole that could be covered by a leather flap, so that flies couldn't get inside the poop sites, land on the poop, then fly back to your food to spread poop on it

the Germans had uncovered poop piles

It saddens me deeply that we missed the chance to develop and deploy a 42-ton M1940 Ausf N (trop.) Donnerbalken field toilet (with poorly sloped poop shelf).

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 1, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It'd be the most confusingly engineered field toilet the world would have ever seen.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Poop is rotated a full 720 degrees while falling using a beautifully chromium-plated mechanism.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The bowl is zimmerit coated to prevent magnetic poo poo from sticking

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A series of well positioned catches and cams ensures the most efficient flush handle mechanism to ensure pure procession.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The seat isn’t high enough because none of the top Nazis had anatomically typical testicles.

(to the tune of Colonel Bogey March)

♫ Hitler has only got one ball. ♫

♫ Göring has two, but very small. ♫

♫ Himmler’s are very similar. ♫

♫ But Goebbels has no balls at all. ♫

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SeanBeansShako posted:

A series of well positioned catches and cams ensures the most efficient flush handle mechanism to ensure pure procession.

Unfortunately, the handle tends to jam after only a few uses and the entire flush handle mechanism must be disassembled to fix the problem. This is due to Hitler’s insistence that the handle also operate the built-in bidet.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’ve had something on my mind for while and I’m just going to come right out and ask it. Do fighter pilots going back to WWI just routinely poo poo their flight suits? I mean you’re in the air for several hours and natures gonna call. Also all the evasive maneuvers can’t help the digestive system.

Nevermind the poo poo, you can go tens of hours without pooping, so barring unfortunate timing or digestive problems you should be fine even on a long flight.

What about the pee? Is it just a given that a glamourous fighter jockey is stepping out of that cockpit covered in piss after a long mission? Are they wearing diapers?

Inquiring minds have to know! :piss:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

FrangibleCover posted:

To add to this one of the main drivers for the switch from large caliber MGs to cannons was the increase in plane speeds. Cannons meant bigger holes and such in the target for the same number of hits and when you're looking at maybe a second at most firing window that can be critical.

Also more modern planes are bigger than WWII era ones, though not necessarily more durable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Aircraft in general always seem a lot bigger than I picture in my head. Especially modern military craft, but even with early WW2 designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Aircraft in general always seem a lot bigger than I picture in my head. Especially modern military craft, but even with early WW2 designs.

I’ve always felt the same way. Take a look at how massive the P-47 is. And it’s kind of weird that modern day fighter planes are larger than X-Wings.