Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Papa Emeritus III posted:

Yeah, that's possible. I was thinking that he has some fears and worries as he comes to grips of being a father. Then, you add in some manipulation from the roommate to bring on a full blown panic of cold feet...

...so, the roommate is bombarding him with that 'No Procreation' belief, which he tends to absorb in silence.

Roommate is probably a past fling with this dude and was knocked up. They abort the child because procreation is for suckers(or rather...they miscarried and got bitter enough to swear off babies forever?). Now, as simply roommates, he starts to date and woops! there's another baby. Roommate loses her marbles under the weight of all that jealousy and uses the "she is pregnant and that makes me uncomfortable enough to hate her and she'll never be a good mommy and goddammit she is forbidden to enter this apartment!" Meanwhile, the boyfriend is feeling guilty and now he is beginning to avoid his girlfriend to console the roommate. High chances of him hooking back up if he hasnt already(He has).

Or I'm way off base here. :v: I kinda hope I am because the hatred and the bitter judgment of motherhood from that roommate sounds incredibly disturbing.

now you're just making up fanfic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Midnight Voyager posted:

She is, but I think that is what 50% of this thread is.

Edit: and there's nothing wrong with that.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

therobit posted:

Your expectations would adjust and the definition of a comfortable life would probably change.

People really like to have romantic fantasies about how they would continue to be the grounded everyman in the face of millions and millions of dollars. like when people who win the lottery say "I'm going to keep working at the gas station, the money won't change me, I like to work!"... no way, the second you get a write-up for not sweeping the walk-in you're outta there, and that should be obvious but a lot of people won't admit it.

The broke brain stuff i can't understand is the billionaires who could use a single-digit portion of their money to own opulent properties in any city that they choose around the world, fly in the newest planes, have the biggest yachts, live life as a permanent 5-star vacation, eat the finest foods, and more, and also pass this lifestyle down to their kids. There is no possible shift in definition of comfortable that money could achieve. Why do they always need more?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

life is a joke posted:

People really like to have romantic fantasies about how they would continue to be the grounded everyman in the face of millions and millions of dollars. like when people who win the lottery say "I'm going to keep working at the gas station, the money won't change me, I like to work!"... no way, the second you get a write-up for not sweeping the walk-in you're outta there, and that should be obvious but a lot of people won't admit it.

The broke brain stuff i can't understand is the billionaires who could use a single-digit portion of their money to own opulent properties in any city that they choose around the world, fly in the newest planes, have the biggest yachts, live life as a permanent 5-star vacation, eat the finest foods, and more, and also pass this lifestyle down to their kids. There is no possible shift in definition of comfortable that money could achieve. Why do they always need more?

It's about keeping score. The point isn't having more, it's other equally rich and powerful people having less.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Husband (37m) of five years lied to me (27f) about his age.

quote:

I feel so stupid for even having to make a post like this but I want to hear what other people’s opinions are because I’m not sure if I’m overreacting or not.

I met my husband who I’ll call Charlie, we are not legally married but call each other husband and wife in social situations 5 years ago. I was 22 and he was supposedly 28. In retrospect, he always was a little squirrelly about it when I asked him his age, and would avoid talking about birthdays for the most part. I don’t know how I never noticed something was up, guess he was just super good at changing the subject whenever it drifted into that territory.

I saw his ID once or twice but never even thought to look at the birthday because I never suspected anything was amiss... On his 30th birthday I was confused about why he didn’t want to have a big party with friends but now I can see why (didn’t want a lot of people there who might mention his actual age) anyway I remember that year very clearly cause I went all out with the presents, I got 30 different things for him to open representing each year.

My sister was there and remembers him saying he was thirty as well. Honestly if it was not for that year and my sister remembering the same thing as me I would be doubting my sanity right now. So anyway that brings me to current events.

So his birthday rolled around this year and we are with his family. I was standing in the kitchen talking to his brother and mentioned Charlie turning 32 and he just looked at me really funny and said “what? He’s definitely turning 37” and we started arguing about it with me insisting he was 32 and him insisting 37. In walks Charlie and we ask him how old he is and he takes a few seconds but eventually says 37 and acts like there’s something wrong with me for being confused about his age, and his brother is looking at me like I’m stupid or something. At this point I was thinking how could I have got this wrong, I didn’t want to argue in front of his family so I waited til we went up to the room and we had a big argument. He denied lying to me and insisted that I was just remembering wrong. I told him him that was bullshit because I clearly remembered his fake 30th bday and so did my sister (I texted her about it and she confirmed he def said he was 30). He gave a weak rear end apology and that’s been that.

Also, when we first met and I was asking about his family he claimed his mom was French (he is from Mexico) and that he grew up part of his childhood living on a sailboat. I’m pretty sure all of that is bs too since it’s obvious she is completely Mexican and I’ve heard no one else mention anything about a sailboat. I suspected that was a lie or exaggeration but didn’t press into it because I didn’t want to embarrass him. I figured he thought it would make him sound more exotic or something.

It’s been a few weeks since then and it’s still bothering me to the point I’m thinking about leaving him. This is not the only problem we have in our relationship though. He is terrible with money and deflects and ignores me when I try to help with the finances. I am a stay at home mom to our 1 child with special needs so I’m not bringing in any money and it bothers me to know that we are saving nothing for retirement and going deeper into debt.

I try to help by saving as much as possible on my end by being frugal on food and and buying clothes second hand. I’ve spent maybe $200 this year on clothes for myself and our son, for instance. When I realized that one of the credit cards we have had an almost 20% interest rate I freaked out and tried to get him to pay it down or negotiate a lower rate because he has good credit so there’s no reason to be paying so much. Despite nagging him on this issue multiple times he has not taken care of it and as he is the account holder it has to be him.

I’ve asked him to give me the passwords to the card accounts so I can monitor them and see what we are spending the money on but he says that he can’t figure the passwords out, something about using a password manager? Idk. I should have known he was terrible with saving when 4 months into our relationship he had to borrow a few thousand from me. For context, he makes about 3x the average salary for our area. He doesn’t consult me before making any big purchases. For instance when he was on a business trip he brought a 4K mountain bike and I found out when he brought it home. I would never in a million years do that but because it’s him no big deal.

He seems to think that he’s going to get a big inheritance when his dad dies and maybe that’s why he sees no need to save? His dad is rich but he also has a very gold digging long time girlfriend so I feel like it’s stupid to assume he will get anything.

I don’t want it to sound like it’s all bad though. He has plenty of good qualities, he does more than his share of parenting/helping around the house and has never so much as raised his voice to me, and we get along pretty good in all other aspects. We share a hobby that we are both very into and spend a lot of time together practicing it.

I don’t really have any girlfriends to talk about this with so I would appreciate any advice y’all can give me. I want to figure out how to get him to work with me on finances, but I’m not sure how to do that without giving him an ultimatum, even though that’s basically how I feel at this point. I have lost all trust in him due to the lie about his age. If he had just owned up to it after we got more serious that would be one thing, but to maintain a lie that big for 5 loving years is just.. idk it feels too big of a problem to let go and I don’t know if I can ever trust him again. Thanks for reading.

Tl;dr. Husband is actually 37 not 32 like I thought, also is terrible with money and refuses to let me help.

My husband is a pathological liar and overspends to the detriment of our family, but he never yells and we have the same hobby, so...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Here's one that's not served with a side of :stare: or :smith:. Just a dad gettin' mad.

My [50M] daughters [20F, 18F, 10F, 6F] make stupid hand gestures in photos and they will not stop

quote:

The hand gesture they frequently do is the "okay" symbol, or the "circle game" internet meme.

We recently came from a family holiday and as I was browsing through the photo album, the hand gestures were plastered all over the photographs or just sneakily hidden. Upon confronting the older ones (who have taught their younger siblings to do it) they did not see a problem with it and found the fact that I was furious about it very funny.

It's a blatant lack of respect and find it extremely rude that they won't stop the hand gestures. It makes the photos look ridiculous and at this point, I would rather not have them in photographs if they won't take them seriously.

My wife doesn't have a problem with it and is glad that they're finally participating in family photos, even if it is a dumb joke.

How can I make my children stop, especially since they won't listen to me, or at least convince my wife to tell them to knock it off.

TL;DR - daughters sneak in the "okay" hand symbol in photos and are disrespecting me by continuing after I asked them to stop. How can I make them stop it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LadyPictureShow posted:

Here's one that's not served with a side of :stare: or :smith:. Just a dad gettin' mad.

My [50M] daughters [20F, 18F, 10F, 6F] make stupid hand gestures in photos and they will not stop

Finally, the dad that probably hates dad jokes.

I'd love it if siblings 14 years apart were sharing an injoke.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

therobit posted:

There are studies showing that having money or feeling like you have money changes your behavior in games designed to measure your behavior wrt generosity, and that the wealth may drive the behavior rather than the other way around.

Additionally, if you're behavior and attitudes with money and life lead you to be poor, you are probably the one that is mal-adapted.

lol are you seriously trying to defend yourself by saying poor people deserve it

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the dad is mad because his kids are making nazi gang signs during family photos.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

LadyPictureShow posted:

quote:

they did not see a problem with it and found the fact that I was furious about it very funny.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Turtlicious posted:

the dad is mad because his kids are making nazi gang signs during family photos.

Yeah, Nazis / white supremacists are using is as a gang sign because it had the innocuous past.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I am! That's the fun purpose behind this thread. ...... right? ....guys?

therobit posted:

She is, but I think that is what 50% of this thread is.

Edit: and there's nothing wrong with that.

Of course. :unsmith:
I'm just loving around, really. If the posted story doesn't make me freeze with irritation(like the boomer bitch) or make me go :stare:, and it has some kind of missing or debatable information I make fun by speculating what the root of the issue is.

For the pregger lady, that was such an open book. I couldn't resist.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah I just wanted to believe it was innocent even though I know what the okay symbol has come to mean in white nationalist circles

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Meme Emulator posted:

People become wealthy because they have a certain mindset that allows them to flourish in our economy and/or they got the wealth passed down from them from others who staked out thier wealth who had a similar mindset. Its self selecting, which is why I said theyre irredeemable. They couldnt have gotten to that point without having an abusive mindset.

just to be clear here you're literally saying that anyone who makes good money has an abusive mindset and that's worse than people who literally beat their wives

gently caress off and gently caress you

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
I'm getting another :chloe: moment, realizing that the old man yelling at clouds has finely began to include the good ol fashioned medium of Reddit. A sign of the times. What will the next generation do? ....oh and that Dad needs to get clued in on the nazi stuff. It soared over my head too and I was assuming the girls were doing some kind if 'shocker' equivalent.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

just to be clear here you're literally saying that anyone who makes good money has an abusive mindset and that's worse than people who literally beat their wives

If you make a lot of money and beat your wife, it cancels out because she's a rich, too so you're good

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

tactlessbastard posted:

If you make a lot of money and beat your wife, it cancels out because she's a rich, too so you're good

Ah but you're still rich, so even though your wife beatery is cancelled out by your rich beatery, both of you get the guillotine.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Papa Emeritus III posted:

I'm getting another :chloe: moment, realizing that the old man yelling at clouds has finely began to include the good ol fashioned medium of Reddit. A sign of the times. What will the next generation do? ....oh and that Dad needs to get clued in on the nazi stuff. It soared over my head too and I was assuming the girls were doing some kind if 'shocker' equivalent.

Uhhh, okay, it's me, I'm the old woman yelling at clouds.

What does the "okay" symbol mean, if not that silly circle game? I have a co-worker that plays that game with me all the time, even though I never play back. What's the Nazi implication? I really don't want to google "nazi hand gestures".

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

JacquelineDempsey posted:

What does the "okay" symbol mean, if not that silly circle game? I have a co-worker that plays that game with me all the time, even though I never play back. What's the Nazi implication? I really don't want to google "nazi hand gestures".

Because it's an innocuous symbol, "high brow" white nationalists sometimes use it in pictures as a dog whistle. It's not so much an out and out signal as a result, unlike the Nazi salute, and so is mostly used to troll folks which makes determining a specific use harder to define as explicitly racist or just obstinate trickery.

There's a decent SPLC article on it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

4-chan nazis decided that they needed a new symbol to identify each other, so they're like, "hey let's just do the 'circle game' so that if the cucks and the libs see it and call us nazis we can just lol look at those snowflakes they think the circle game is a nazi thing, just like they think a cartoon frog is a nazi thing" so it's an actual nazi symbol just like Pepe now.

Also a similar hand gesture is historically a White Power hand sign, where you do the sign with both hands but one of them is upright to represent the W and one is upside down to represent the P.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

:corsair: I'm currently on the lawn with you because I am lost as well.

Honestly, apart from SA and a weather website, I am mostly not involved with the internet since it's all morphing into versions of social media and I do not participate in social media. ...not that I have any hang ups on it, I just dont find it interesting.

So, the latest fads don't make it to me. Which is all the better if it's got pro-nazi inflencers getting kids to share nazi butthole symbols.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The Iron Rose posted:

you literally said anyone who is poor probably deserves it so gently caress you too pal

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Yeeesh.
The whole idea of co-opting a popular thing like Pepe or the "ok" sign as a shibboleth is so drat stupid. The whole idea of a shibboleth is to have a signifier that only others in your group would know, so you can tell who's who. Like SA and "stairs". This, on the other hand, it'd be like if I came up with some crazy religion and we all decided, "hey, let's wear crosses so we can tell who's down with our cult, and for lulz!" Again, old woman yelling at clouds. I just don't get it.

Thanks for the info, though, guys. I should probably warn my coworker.

Edit: that SPLC article was very helpful, thanks!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 1, 2019

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

you literally said anyone who is poor probably deserves it so gently caress you too pal

I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm sure you'll enlighten me

Sorry, domestic abusers are shitheads. Anyone defending them to get some dig in on anyone richer than themselves is a shithead too hth

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's the fascist version of a smokeshop's "these glass novelties are only for use with legal tobacco" sign

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm sure you'll enlighten me

Sorry, domestic abusers are shitheads. Anyone defending them to get some dig in on anyone richer than themselves is a shithead too hth

whoops lol i guess a lot of people have that cat avatar. my bad!

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Yeeesh.
The whole idea of co-opting a popular thing like Pepe or the "ok" sign as a shibboleth is so drat stupid. The whole idea of a shibboleth is to have a signifier that only others in your group would know, so you can tell who's who. Like SA and "stairs". This, on the other hand, it'd be like if I came up with some crazy religion and we all decided, "hey, let's wear crosses so we can tell who's down with our cult, and for lulz!" Again, old woman yelling at clouds. I just don't get it.

Thanks for the info, though, guys. I should probably warn my coworker.

Edit: that SPLC article was very helpful, thanks!

It's not really meant to be a shibboleth though. It's meant to troll the libs.

"Look at them getting mad at someone doing the OK sign :smugdog:"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Anyone defending them to get some dig in on anyone richer than themselves is a shithead too hth

See that's the great thing about guillotines, they can be reused quite a lot and are very efficient. We can take down the rich AND the abusers.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Hellsau posted:

See that's the great thing about guillotines, they can be reused quite a lot and are very efficient. We can take down the rich AND the abusers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

jobson groeth posted:

It's not really meant to be a shibboleth though. It's meant to troll the libs.

"Look at them getting mad at someone doing the OK sign :smugdog:"

there's probably a lot of :o: types who'd gripe about the subtext of "letting them steal it" but idk it's a dumb awkward hand gesture that got co-opted as a nazi in-joke, they can have it for all I care. It skips the foreplay and goes right to "yeah they're a goddamn nazi" and I'm all for saving the effort in wondering.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

quote:

[Accident] Do you think I'll lose my boyfriend for this?

I was sitting on my boyfriend's face, and I had to fart. I thought it would be a silent one...you know...you can just feel it when it is. But it wasn't. It wasn't even a fart. It was a shart. A little diarrhea-like poop got on my boyfriend's nose. It didn't go into his mouth. He THREW ME OFF screaming. He wiped his face on MY shirt on the floor and ran out in his boxers. This just happened so I haven't talked to him since. HELP

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Yes, and the lawyers too! Guillotines for everyone!

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

There is no way that was typed with two hands.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moon Atari posted:

It makes me sad that children are sort of briefly alluded to in a lot of these stories but are so obviously not a priority in their parents lives. Particularly when it is poly or cheating drama and they have multiple young kids. You shouldn't have time for that poo poo. If you have them they should be a priority that far far outweighs your commitment to experiencing all the varieties of sex you would like to or playing the latest videogame or whatever.

I want to caveat this by saying that it's good and healthy for parents to have their own lives and hobbies beyond child rearing, the flip side of that is basically an estrangedparents post. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a new book or whatever after the kids go to bed, so long as it's not significantly interfering with your role as a parent

But I know that you're talking about the people who put the baby in its crib and then plays Red Dead Redemption for 12 hours, and they're lovely trash people

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

lol are you seriously trying to defend yourself by saying poor people deserve it

not all poor people but zaurg definitely deserves it

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Am I The rear end in a top hat for asking boyfriend why he packed condoms for a trip he's taking without me?

Sadly this is a serious question.

In an exclusive (not open) relationship for 8 months. BF [30s] is leaving abroad for 3 weeks and invited me [also 30s] over last night since it was the last time we'd see each other for a while. He wasn't done packing for the trip, so there was stuff everywhere.

I saw the condoms in his clear Ziploc bag (NOTE: plainly visible, I did not open or snoop through anything) of toiletries so of course I asked about them. His response was that he always keeps them in there and didn't bother taking them out for the trip.

Reddit, I watched him combine OTC meds from two bottles into one bottle to save space on this trip. I don't think anything in his bag is in there by "accident." But now he's giving me the silent treatment and acting like I ruined New Year's for asking this.

AITA for being (and remaining) suspicious of this?

EDIT: He has never cheated previously, doesn't know anyone in this country and is going there for a fairly intensive field research project. I don't believe he has an active plan to cheat. I am, however, upset, because to me the act of bringing condoms is an active refusal to close the door on the possibility of intimacy with someone else if the opportunity happens to arise.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
It's going to be pretty surreal when you have a generation of children neglected due to their parents video game addiction. I guess in a way it's not much different than neglect via other addictions, though I do wonder how these kids will turn out.

Will they be so put off by vidya games that they choose to be luddites themselves? Will they inherent their parents horrible habits? We live in an Era where toddlers can use touchscreen tablets before they can even talk. What the hell are these people going to be like as adults?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

LadyPictureShow posted:

Husband (37m) of five years lied to me (27f) about his age.

My husband is a pathological liar and overspends to the detriment of our family, but he never yells and we have the same hobby, so...

This one gets better and better the farther you read.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think millenials are doing a fair bit better at that than the boomers, for whom child neglect seemed to be a competitive sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Panfilo posted:

It's going to be pretty surreal when you have a generation of children neglected due to their parents video game addiction. I guess in a way it's not much different than neglect via other addictions, though I do wonder how these kids will turn out.

Will they be so put off by vidya games that they choose to be luddites themselves? Will they inherent their parents horrible habits? We live in an Era where toddlers can use touchscreen tablets before they can even talk. What the hell are these people going to be like as adults?

We're probably already seeing it, with younger kids and their parents at least - folks being completely bewildered at their kids acting out in public like they've never gotten any attention, because they've never gotten any attention from the parents and the only time they recognize as an opportunity is when they're out in public and the parents aren't able to get sucked into candy crush or what have you.