Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

legit would have wanted a switch like that for quake lan parties

My friends and I did this in high school by "borrowing" one of the Cisco switched from our networking class.

Awesome but we still had issues with some people not being able to see local servers which always led to an hour or two of trouble shooting.

But once everything worked, 16-20 player local battlefield, medal of Honor, age of empires and call of duty matches...oh my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I can’t stop playing Red Dead 2. Bounced off of it hard for a while up until now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
We recently got a console, and I've been playing Spiderman, which is a blast, and pointedly haven't fired up RDR2 just because I don't yet want to fall into the RDR2 hole.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im finishing zelda botw before i start rdr2

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im finishing zelda botw before i start rdr2

gently caress I need to just quit running around and finish all the dungeons and game already so I can donate or sell this wii-u

Would be so amazing if I could transfer my save to the Switch but ces’t la vie

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Late to the game but got Odyssey for Christmas.

Kassandra is best girl :allears:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Odyssey is basically Be Gay Do Crimes - the game.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I hear that there's an ending to that game that sounds like the dumbest thing ever.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I skipped every “story” cutscene that didn’t involve Kassandra being a badass, and I regret nothing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The ending to the game is kinda lackluster only because there's three different plotlines that are largely unrelated to each other that can be completed in any order, and some of which will depend on DLC to flesh out.

I'm waiting for NG+ before I play it again, but it was an absolutely fantastic game that took me by complete surprise because most AAA games these days are fuckin' turds.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Lol if you give a gently caress about the story in an Assassin’s Creed game.

Edit: I’m basically using RDR2 as “Hunting Simulator 2018: now with poker”

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Obra Dinn and Frostpunk are easily my two favorite games of 2018, and I played them both in the last week. Nice way to finish the year.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I finished RDR2 tonight... actually I just finished the main story and I found out I now have a six hour epilogue to play through.

God damnit, I still have Spiderman, Assassin's Creed and God of War to play through. And various steam games.

Also echoing that Frostpunk is a good game.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It’s closer to 9 hours. Starts off pretty slow, so take that as a warning.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I haven’t been impressed with rdr2 like I was with GTA V

I’m only in chapter 3 hoping it picks up.

If anything it will keep me occupied until Cyberpunk drops

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I will say the ending of Chapter 3 ends on a really high note. Chapters 4-6 are also quite good.

The epilogue I'm just a little like, I get it John Marston is the main character now and he cannot live a life free from crime. I don't need nine hour expositions to discover that. RDR did the epilogue thing right.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It picks up and closes out well.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

beat the master sword trials in botw

took 3 days for me to beat the final section. now im just farting around and getting OP as gently caress before i set foot in hyrule castle

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

beat the master sword trials in botw

took 3 days for me to beat the final section. now im just farting around and getting OP as gently caress before i set foot in hyrule castle

I wish I could erase that game from my memory and do it over again

Except the stealth mission in the forest, gently caress that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I wish I could erase that game from my memory and do it over again

Except the stealth mission in the forest, gently caress that

That mission was pure evil. What the gently caress were they thinking?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Fallom posted:

That mission was pure evil. What the gently caress were they thinking?

I mean how are kids supposed to even figure it out? I had to watch a YouTube video and do a play-by-play, and even that took me forever.

Seriously you’d be at the end and only then figure out this one specific thing you had to do, then have to do it all over again. The loving worst

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ive got 85 hours in, all the beasts are dead and im just roaming the countryside doing shrines and finding koroks, doing the dlc poo poo and working on my ancient gear

zeldas been there 100 years now, she can wait a little longer while i play dressup and bullet time every monster in the face after I backflip from my horse

honestly jfc buy a goddamn nintendo switch

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I don't have any of the DLC but even the stealth mission in the original game (Yiga Clan Hideout) was terrible

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yiga clan hideout took me a good two days to beat

i mean, its zelda. im shocked that i figured out the water temple in oot when i was a youngin

master sword dlc was actually fun imo, the worst part of the final segment were the first two segments and after that it was ancient arrow funtime

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Ancient arrows are badass

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

links awakening is still my favorite zelda but botw is insane

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also my daughter and i have been playing a crapload of smash and mario kart

isabelle is the best and i will wreck anyones poo poo with her in either game

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I've been playing as villager a lot
Powerful grab

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I like Mr. Game & Watch

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Kirby is your one true God.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Incineroar and Little Mac are loving monsters and I love them

Also would y'all recommend BOTW to someone who's never been too wild about Zelda games, but enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn and the Witcher games? I see those two comparisons a lot and it's got my attention.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

my coworker who grew up being a hardcore pc nerd in the commodore days bought the switch as his first console and is loving zelda

also king dedede is my smash main. hammer fools all day errday

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i would be down for online gip smash if anyone wants to get their poo poo wrecked

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Incineroar and Little Mac are loving monsters and I love them

Also would y'all recommend BOTW to someone who's never been too wild about Zelda games, but enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn and the Witcher games? I see those two comparisons a lot and it's got my attention.

Botw is more HZD and Witcher than Zelda. It's not handholdy, and you can definitely gently caress yourself over quite badly by not paying attention to weapon durability and not packing the right food for going to an area. It's an epic game and worth the cash. It is a lot harder than your usual Zelda roflstomp game though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah after about an hour the game just says "ok, go kill ganon".

like, it flashes across the screen as your mission. then off you go.

it fuckin owns

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

I don’t understand all the love for botw. I’m gonna dissent here and say that it felt empty and shallow. I still finished it out of obligation but it felt like a chore. I did however lol when I killed some food animal in the volcano area and it immediately turned into the cooked version.

The misso got me a Switch for Christmas. What’s good on that?

She bought Pokémon so we play that together and I’ve bought Mario Kart and Octopath so far.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Frostpunk is 33% off, think I'm gonna pull the trigger on that one since it looks intriguing and is goon-approved (tm)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Dude McAwesome posted:

I don’t understand all the love for botw. I’m gonna dissent here and say that it felt empty and shallow. I still finished it out of obligation but it felt like a chore. I did however lol when I killed some food animal in the volcano area and it immediately turned into the cooked version.

She bought Pokémon so we play that together and I’ve bought Mario Kart and Octopath so far.

Agreed. I love the idea of Zelda and appreciate the risks Nintendo took with making the game such a huge departure from what the previous titles had morphed into, but I was ultimately disappointed with how little actual variety there was in the game mechanics.

Also I think I am getting too old or maybe I am just lazy, because I prefer my games to either have more narrative and direction or be a complete sandbox where I am not distracted by a storyline.

BOTW for me is like most of the Elder Scrolls games where I know there is a story but despite playing dozens of hours, all I've done is clear some dungeons and kill a bunch of poo poo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Dude McAwesome posted:

diablo 3 is really fun on switch

smash bros, mario aces, and the new mario are all good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Well, Frostpunk certainly looks amazing as hell, but Jesus Christ, it's depressing

On the first day, I lost 9 people in the first night because I didn't realize I needed to absolutely prioritize coal immediately, so the generator was off and they all froze...including 4 children. :(
On the second day, several people fell ill because of the temperature during the night and I had to choose between a law that slowly lets them vegetate but not get well until I build some higher tech building later, or just go with radical treatment and turn them into amputees :( :(
On the third day, I realized I was was producing way too little food on account of not being able to staff my hunter's hut fully (because of the deaths in the first night), but I still needed to expedite wood gathering, because several people were still homeless, so I had to sign a law adding saw-dust to their food to extend rations :( :( :(

I don't think I'm in the right mindset for this at the moment.

Probably gonna fire up Stardew Valley tomorrow morning or something.