Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Motronic posted:

That is certainly NOT the reasoning I've heard. Try "poor people, especially in cities, are unlikely to have state issued ID because they don't drive/own a car and few have any reason to haul their rear end out to a DMV to get a non-driver's ID, so requiring state ID is a barrier to voting. Barriers to voting are bad. The stated reason for needing this barrier (in person voter fraud) is statistically invalid."

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. You have to have an ID to do pretty much anything in life. Poor people have ID. It's really projecting to say that lower class folks don't have ID. If you're so poor that you can't get to the DMV, how exactly are you identifying yourself for government assistance?

Now in fairness I definitely think IDs should be free from the state. It's insane that any states charge any amount of money for ID, but that's a separate issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

therobit posted:

Yes by all means let's call every person who disagrees with us a Nazi instead of realizing they don't have perfect information or understanding and working from there. This will surely not turn off middle of the road low information voters when you call them a nazi because they don't understand why voter ID is bad.

Edit: Look at your response and then look at Motronic's response. Which one is mone likely to change somebody's mind? Which one looks like an unhinged freak screaming at clouds?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

How did no one just reply :discourse: to this handsign chat?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If the Founding Fathers had wanted me to show somebody a little piece of plastic before exercising my Christ-given rights they'd have written it into the Constitution.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

How did no one just reply :discourse: to this handsign chat?

:discourse:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

revmoo posted:

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. You have to have an ID to do pretty much anything in life. Poor people have ID.
Yes, continue to ignore the evidence that says otherwise. Is it that hard to concede that a small portion of the population don't have photo IDs? For instance, nursing homes have a lot of people without current picture IDs.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

quote:

“The SNAP/Food Stamp caseworker is required to verify your identity. 7 CFR 273.2(f). There are many ways, however, that you may verify your identity. A photo ID is only one way. You should not be denied SNAP/Food Stamps simply because you do not have a photo ID. To prove who you are, you can use such things as a work or school ID, an ID for health benefits, an ID from another social services program such as TANF, wage stubs, a birth certificate, or a voter registration card. The SNAP/Food Stamp caseworker can also verify your identity by calling a “collateral contact” who can confirm you who are. Shelter workers and employers are examples of possible collateral contacts. If you have no paper documentation of who you are, you should ask the SNAP/Food Stamp caseworker to call a collateral contact.

“Homeless households are not required to verify where they live. If you are living in a shelter, however, it may be helpful to bring a letter to the SNAP/Food Stamp office which is written by a shelter employee and says that you are living in the shelter.”

a lot of folks in my neighborhood don't have ID. and it is a barrier to voting, especially if you live in a town with poo poo mass transit, and you don't have a car.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

someone should just resubmit :discourse: without changes as :whitepower:

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

If the Founding Fathers had wanted me to show somebody a little piece of plastic before exercising my Christ-given rights they'd have written it into the Constitution.

I'm not sure the Founding Fathers are the best people to consult on matters of voting rights.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't think the guy saying the left wing says black people are too dumb to get IDs is arguing from a place of ignorance.

now watch in amazement as he fails to reply to the post stating “actually many poor people find it very difficult to obtain one of the approved forms of ID”! it’s like magic!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Internetting! the Nazi Menace since July 2018!!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Boyfriend dumped me over my mother not letting us have alone time...advice?

Some backstory here....my boyfriend [44M] and I [27F] have been dating for about 5 months and we have known each other for almost a year. It is a great relationship, no arguing. We do things with our kids together. Everything is wonderful.

However, everytime we want a night or time to ourselves and I ask my mom to babysit (which she offers), she always blows up my phone with texts or phonecalls about my son. We have only been on 2 actual evening dates by ourselves, unless we both have the day off (which the kids are in school). I previously won NHL tickets, glass seats and 2 hours prior my mom calls and starts blowing up my phone how I choose hockey over my son and its not fair to him. I have only been on 2 dates with him otherwise, my son is with me.

Last night, we wanted a quiet NYE night together, I was going to bring my son to sleep over at his house and my mom offers to take him. From 10pm to 5am I got 25 phone calls and 34 text messages about my son saying he is having trouble sleeping. I was sleeping myself so I didn't hear anything. This morning I hear the phone I get it, she demands I come home ASAP. I come home at 5:18am and she is fine and my son is fine.

I text my boyfriend and call him. no answer. I go to his house and he breaks up with me saying that he loves me but the situation is very hard. He doesn't want to be in the middle of my mom and I so based on that, he has to break it off with me. I'm heart broken. Even though we have only dated for 5 months, we have done everything with the kids together and spent so much time together. I don't know what to do. He says he loves me, but based on the situtation he can't be the reason why it causes tension in my mom's household

​**TL;DR;** My boyfriend who I see having a future with, dumped me because my mother makes it hard for him and I to spend any real alone time together. She blows up my phone everytime with concerns with my son, however when I come home nothing is wrong. Last night: 25 phone calls and 34 texts. The first time spending the night by myself at his place.
From OP's post history:

I'm the oldest he has ever dated....problem? (self.AskWomen)

submitted 1 month ago

The body of the post was removed, sadly.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

now watch in amazement as he fails to reply to the post stating “actually many poor people find it very difficult to obtain one of the approved forms of ID”! it’s like magic!

All this presupposes he's not allowed to have the opinion that "voter fraud and illegal voting is a bigger problem than people not being able to get a voter ID, who still want to vote."

I don't feel that way, and I don't think statistics would show that either one is actually much of an issue, but couldn't reasonable people disagree on which value should take precedence?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Am I The rear end in a top hat for forcing my Stepson(7) to finish a level in a video.

My stepson is a constant quitter. He wants to do everything until he realizes it takes effort..Today I was studying while he played the Xbox. He was playing the retro sonic game we got him for Christmas. When he plays as long as the game doesn’t require any effort he is cool. The moment there is a trick or something to figure out he goes and grabs his mom. So he is playing the game and this wall comes up. The trick is to grab a power up and blast through. He doesn’t realize it so he runs at the wall for 5 minutes. He doesn’t try to figure it out at all. So he goes to grab his mom. This time I called BS and told him to come back and finish the game. He said he was done and I said no you need to figure this out because I’m tired of watching you quit. He starts to argue and I cut him off. Eventually he finishes the part. I’m not trying to make him think that video games are a chore but I’m also not trying to raise someone who half asses everything.

TLDR my stepson try’s to quit all the time so I made home finish a level.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

blarzgh posted:

All this presupposes he's not allowed to have the opinion that "voter fraud and illegal voting is a bigger problem than people not being able to get a voter ID, who still want to vote."

I don't feel that way, and I don't think statistics would show that either one is actually much of an issue, but couldn't reasonable people disagree on which value should take precedence?

Wrong. Statistics very much show which one is more of an issue.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Am I The rear end in a top hat for getting my roommate's annoying friend arrested?

My roommate has this friend, let's call him Mike. Mike is a bit of a dick and a horrible guest. He's the type of person who will come to your home, ask for Coke, be offered Pepsi, accept it, and then spill it on your carpet just to be like "gently caress Pepsi am I right hahahahahahaha". He's the type of person who will delete your stuff on your Xbox One to make space for his poo poo. He's the type of person who eats everything with his hands and wipes his fingers on your couch. He's the type of person who will go to your bathroom, take a poo poo, and then drop a full loving roll of toilet paper into the toilet. (I don't mean he used a lot of toilet paper. I mean he literally took a fresh roll from under the sink and splashed it right in. Still have no clue why he did this.)

Mike thinks all of this is acceptable. My roommate enables him. They know I'll always be cleaning it up, as I seem to be the only person with maturity.

After the toilet paper incident I tried to talk to my roommate. I said it's fine if he wants to stay friends with Mike but please keep him out of our apartment. My roommate said no. Mike is "a great guy" and I cannot stop him from having whoever he wants in an apartment we share.

That's the background. Now the potential assholery:

They were having drinks and discussing guns. Mike mentions having his concealed carry handgun on him. I hear this conversation from another room and I realize, holy poo poo, he's drinking, I can get him arrested for that. So I excuse myself to "go out for a walk" and call 911 from my car.

Fast forward to now. My roommate is pissed at me for "snitching." I've explained how dangerous it is someone under the influence of alcohol to have a deadly weapon. He says none of that matters, I only called the cops out of irrational hate against Mike.

I'm thinking he might have a point. On that night, I was not really concerned about the gun. I only wanted Mike gone. I even ended up endangering the lives of some police officers.

AITA?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blarzgh posted:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Am I The rear end in a top hat for getting my roommate's annoying friend arrested?

quote:

He says none of that matters, I only called the cops out of irrational hate against Mike.

Correct him: You only called the cops out of a rational hate against Mike.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. You have to have an ID to do pretty much anything in life. Poor people have ID. It's really projecting to say that lower class folks don't have ID. If you're so poor that you can't get to the DMV, how exactly are you identifying yourself for government assistance?

Now in fairness I definitely think IDs should be free from the state. It's insane that any states charge any amount of money for ID, but that's a separate issue.

What in particular do you need a VALID STATE ID for that impacts a poor person's daily life? I'm talking poor poor. Like unbanked, no car certainly not taking trips on planes. A birth certificate/SS card and a utility bill is proof enough to get you on most state assistance, yet insufficient for voting.

blarzgh posted:

Reasonable people can have a reasonable disagreement in the way that you stated (your viewpoint still is not supported by the statistics and evidence I've seen). But arguing from a point of (willful?) ignorance, as once again pointed out above, is not reasonable.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My roommate has this friend, let's call him Mike. Mike is a bit of a dick and a horrible guest. He's the type of person who will come to your home, ask for Coke, be offered Pepsi, accept it, and then spill it on your carpet just to be like "gently caress Pepsi am I right hahahahahahaha". He's the type of person who will delete your stuff on your Xbox One to make space for his poo poo. He's the type of person who eats everything with his hands and wipes his fingers on your couch. He's the type of person who will go to your bathroom, take a poo poo, and then drop a full loving roll of toilet paper into the toilet. (I don't mean he used a lot of toilet paper. I mean he literally took a fresh roll from under the sink and splashed it right in. Still have no clue why he did this.)

Mike thinks all of this is acceptable. My roommate enables him. They know I'll always be cleaning it up, as I seem to be the only person with maturity.

After the toilet paper incident I tried to talk to my roommate. I said it's fine if he wants to stay friends with Mike but please keep him out of our apartment. My roommate said no. Mike is "a great guy" and I cannot stop him from having whoever he wants in an apartment we share.

They were having drinks and discussing guns. Mike mentions having his concealed carry handgun on him. I hear this conversation from another room and I realize, holy poo poo, he's drinking, I can get him arrested for that. So I excuse myself to "go out for a walk" and call 911 from my car.

Fast forward to now. My roommate is pissed at me for "snitching." I've explained how dangerous it is someone under the influence of alcohol to have a deadly weapon. He says none of that matters, I only called the cops out of irrational hate against Mike.

I'm thinking he might have a point. On that night, I was not really concerned about the gun. I only wanted Mike gone. I even ended up endangering the lives of some police officers.

AITA?

Ha ha ha this dude is a weenie but good for him for getting the cops to deal with his problem. Mile sounds loving obnoxious. He should just own being a snitch because that is what he is, but I bet Mike doesn't want to risk hanging out there anymore.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA?

No you are a moron for fessing up to it what the gently caress.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

therobit posted:

Yes by all means let's call every person who disagrees with us a Nazi instead of realizing they don't have perfect information or understanding and working from there. This will surely not turn off middle of the road low information voters when you call them a nazi because they don't understand why voter ID is bad.

Edit: Look at your response and then look at Motronic's response. Which one is mone likely to change somebody's mind? Which one looks like an unhinged freak screaming at clouds?

if, when pointed out to you that your view aligns with that of white supremacists and nazis, you don’t reflect on and analyze why you have that view and instead lash out like it’s someone else’s problem that you’re siding with nazis, don’t get butthurt when people call you a nazi

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Man, those black Nazis and their secret Nazi OK symbol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

therobit posted:

no marginalized people have ever aligned themselves with oppressors, therefore

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Popular Human posted:

He’s probably ghosting her, but this was literally me a year ago. Turned out I have sleep apnea.

If boyfriend isn’t a jerk, get him a CPAP and he’ll feel like a new man.

Or he's clinically depressed.

therobit posted:

Look at the reply to the response you like. That sure did a fat lot of good, didn't it? It's literally the one he picked to say "See, that's what I'm talking about!"

Wasn't worth the effort.

Like come on, I've seen actual information and understanding turn around exactly one person's beliefs in this entire presidency. Everyone else just yells ignorant talking points louder and louder until people with facts gives up. That poo poo is exhausting. You want to take on the benevolent mantle of educator of the ignorant, be my guest.

also did you even read the shirts on that last picture?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

therobit posted:

:discourse:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Edit: This is the wrong thread for this. My bad.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo, found a real winner:

My (F20) boyfriend (M 21) gets extremely angry when helping me at the gym/working out. Is this normal?

quote:

We've been together just under a year, and I very much love him. I tore my ACL playing soccer and am in physical therapy right now to get my full range of motion back. I'm at about 90% but I haven't done my normal gym routine in a long time and it's been hard getting back into it. For New Years, my resolution has been to get back into my normal routine and my plan was to hire a personal trainer because I know how difficult it's going to be on my own. BF graciously insisted he would be my personal trainer and help me through the process 100%. FYI we are both athletes for our school and BF has hopes to become professional, so the gym isn't new to us. However, we have almost never worked out together because A) I go to spa lady which is an all women gym, and B) we both prefer being alone at the gym. It's sort of our therapeutic "me time" if you will for both of us.

Today was our first "session" at his gym - and I'm pretty shaken up. It started off fine, we were both so excited and we fun plans to reward ourselves after. About 5 minutes into it however, he started yelling at me to motivate me and push me further, I guess. I kept telling him to be quiet and that there were people around, but that only made him angrier. He kept telling me how much of a loser I am and I look like a "loving monster" as efforts to push me harder. He said he feels repulsed to have sex with me and if I don't finish this set, he'll cheat. At that point, I couldn't take it anymore and burst into tears and he threw my water bottle because I gave up. I told him I only gave up because of the horrible things he said and he said he couldn't believe I was taking any of that seriously. I've never seen him like this and I'm not sure if maybe this is how he thinks trainers act or how his coach speaks to him or something, but in all my years of playing sports, I've never been treated nor seen someone being treated so degradingly.

And here's the real catch: no one in the entire gym said anything. Granted, there weren't many people at the time because it's the first day of the New Year and people were probably hungover (this is our university gym), but the people who were there didn't give a poo poo. Everyone just went about doing their own thing and yes, we got a few looks, but that's it. So is this normal?? If this were my gym, people would definitely step in I think, at least I know my friends and I would. I'm seriously considering breaking up with him over this, and that breaks my heart because I've never met someone who makes me as happy as he does. Is this an early sign that he may not be who I think he is and that the relationship is doomed? Any perspective would be amazing.

TL;DR: My boyfriend, who takes fitness very seriously, offered to help me get back into my normal regimen after not working out for a year. I think he took it too far as he said extremely hurtful things as a way to motivate me, and when called out on it, he said its no big deal and normal.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 2, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Important distinction: most, but not all, poor people have ID.

It's OK, we're only disenfranchising 10-20% of you, nbd

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [26m] girlfriend [26f] expects me to ask her parents for permission to propose, and it's causing problems.

The title pretty much sums up everything. My girlfriend and I were recently discussing the future and marriage, we're both very on board with the idea of it. However, she made it clear that she'd "need" me to ask her parents for permission before proposing. I'm entirely uncomfortable with that, and I told her it wouldn't be happening. This upset her and she started saying if I wouldn't ask them then obviously it doesn't mean much to me and I'm not serious about it.

I countered by essentially saying that I felt the exact opposite, that she's an adult and I don't need anyones permission to ask my partner to marry me, that if she cannot say yes on her own then it's indicative of her not being ready for marriage and that I wouldn't feel comfortable entering into a marriage by giving my in-laws that sort of power over my relationship as it sets a bad precedent.

I get along with her parents well enough, but regardless of how well we got along I think asking them permission to marry their daughter is an outdated concept that implies they have authority over her romantic life. I'm asking her to marry me, not them. I told her I'd be willing to talk to them, let them know our future plans and include them in that way but would stop short of asking for permission, but apparently that isn't good enough.

This whole thing is starting to change the way I looked at marriage with her and quite honestly her maturity level as a partner. We both come from the same culture/background so it isn't even a cultural difference. How do we bridge this gap? I understand parental approval is nice, but am I crazy for thinking at the end of the day you need to be comfortable saying yes on your own and the approval of others is secondary?

TL;DR Girlfriend and I cannot agree on the importance of parental approval regarding marriage proposals.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My brother stole gas in 4 states. What could happen?

My brother recently moved back to Florida. He turned in gas receipts to me (vice president of our company) for moving expense reimbursement.

While examining the receipts, I noticed that they were purchased with a fleet card (we have these but it is not our account). I believe he used a company fleet card with his previous employer (left without notice). Fuel was purchased in 4 different states. Total amount is about $100.00.

What kind of penalty would he be looking at if they decided to pursue this?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh poo poo, found a real winner:

My (F20) boyfriend (M 21) gets extremely angry when helping me at the gym/working out. Is this normal?

Yeah this kind of motivation is pretty common since it's extremely well known that guys lack the drive to achieve their goals, or even have goals, without an external negative force pressing on them. The way to get him to be nicer to you is to hire your own physical trainer and spend loads of time with him. Then, when you and your bf are out somewhere, start telling him how lovely he is as a person and how Hugo is a mass monster that cums cocaine and has a heart of gold. Also that you're breaking up with him and :sever:.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not racist, I just refuse to recognize institutional racism!

Get hosed, nazi.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

revmoo posted:

Voter ID is a great example of this. People on the American political left will say that anyone who supports voter ID is racist, because black people are too dumb to locate the DMV and thus won't get to vote. Like what the gently caress.

Lol gently caress off, its not because black people don't know how to find a dmv. It's because it creates ridiculous barriers for poor rural people in texas without cars who live a 100 mile round trip distance from their nearest ID center, natives in reservations with no permanent addresses who can't use a PO box as their ID address, and poo poo like that. The entire point is to make it enough of a hassle to vote that some people so would vote wind up not doing it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
As the great sage Goku preached, your motivation should always be to surpass your own limitations and maybe visit your family every few months

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That was in response to the gym story. I don’t recall how Goku felt about voter ID laws.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm not even here to discuss voter ID. I didn't mention it to derail the thread, I brought it up to draw attention to the point that literally just having differing views is enough to be labeled a nazi by folks on the American left, which some of you dutifully jumped in to help me underscore my point.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

I'm not even here to discuss voter ID. I didn't mention it to derail the thread, I brought it up to draw attention to the point that literally just having differing views is enough to be labeled a nazi by folks on the American left, which some of you dutifully jumped in to help me underscore my point.

You don't think that "maybe it would be a good thing if some of our people weren't able to participate in our democracy" isn't maybe a little bit fascist?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [26m] girlfriend [26f] expects me to ask her parents for permission to propose, and it's causing problems.

I told her I'd be willing to talk to them, let them know our future plans and include them in that way but would stop short of asking for permission, but apparently that isn't good enough.

Lol holy poo poo yeah :sever:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Straight White Shark posted:

You don't think that "maybe it would be a good thing if some of our people weren't able to participate in our democracy" isn't maybe a little bit fascist?

Wait, is it racist or facist?