Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

What are his strengths as an actor.

He’s charismatic as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did you see him in Django unchained.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah he was one of the few good things about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Sure, there's an established Sam Jackson persona, but he's perfectly capable of dialing that up or down depending on what's required(or crafting something totally new like in Django).

But yea the main thing he brings is effortless charisma, which is something that I imagine you always are happy to have as a filmmaker. Doesn't matter if a movie is well written or has a big budget, if the actors are charisma black holes then it's all for nothing. Probably nice to be able to tick that box immediately by just hiring Jackson and right there you know when he's on screen there will be a presence that commands attention.

Why do you think they decided to make him such an important part of Captain Marvel? It's because they really need that movie succeed and one good way to make sure that happens is to make Jackson one of the keystones. Which is what he's done since the start of the MCU, I mean very few people could pull off that outfit and the eyepatch.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

She wasn't

It was marketing that hyped her up as something other than a female Boba Fett

This doesn't really add up. The films themselves set her up to have some sort of arc but then whoops nope she's just possibly dead again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jedi are charisma black holes. They were idiotic, banal, detached (literally in an ivory tower!!!) office dwellers only interested in institutional survival.

Every time Anakin has charisma he gets admonished.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Sure, there's an established Sam Jackson persona, but he's perfectly capable of dialing that up or down depending on what's required(or crafting something totally new like in Django).

But yea the main thing he brings is effortless charisma, which is something that I imagine you always are happy to have as a filmmaker. Doesn't matter if a movie is well written or has a big budget, if the actors are charisma black holes then it's all for nothing. Probably nice to be able to tick that box immediately by just hiring Jackson and right there you know when he's on screen there will be a presence that commands attention.

Why do you think they decided to make him such an important part of Captain Marvel? It's because they really need that movie succeed and one good way to make sure that happens is to make Jackson one of the keystones. Which is what he's done since the start of the MCU, I mean very few people could pull off that outfit and the eyepatch.

Marvel has literally redesigned a character that's been around for decades to look like SLJ, he's that drat charismatic.

If you want to argue about his range as an actor, just watch Jackie Brown next to Django Unchained next to Jurassic Park. Unless you're just being willfully obtuse that an actor has to be a character actor like Daniel Day Lewis to have range.

Also, the dude got his start with Roger Corman and Troma flicks. He's very happy to show up in some goofy poo poo for the hell of it, like the amazing Deep Blue Sea.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Jesus posted:

People used to think they were poo poo until it was discovered they were actually good.

It happened in the previous incarnation of this thread some years ago. I watched it happen. People were shocked. They thought mr. Plinkett settled the question but then other people disagreed. Heresy! How can it be? I actually don’t know.

Some people still can’t get over the fact that the canon has changed and prequels are good now. Prequel haters are nothing but a shameful minority now.

And the thing is that this won't happen with the sequel movies, because with the prequels, what happened was that most people liked them when they came out (but one key point is that they always liked Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter a lot more; Star Wars was at best number-three behind those two and potentially fourth after the first two Spider-Man movies whereas now it is number two behind the Marvel movies) and then opinion turned against them over time, then shifted back in the other direction. The big difference is that people only liked the new movies for a few months on either side of Force Awakens, and now have turned against them.

(As I have said before, I like all the Star Wars movies to one degree or another, and I also liked Last Jedi a lot, so I am not personally biased in this regard.)

Franchescanado posted:

If you want to argue about his range as an actor, just watch Jackie Brown next to Django Unchained next to Jurassic Park. Unless you're just being willfully obtuse that an actor has to be a character actor like Daniel Day Lewis to have range.

I think he's very good in Coach Carter. It's not an outstanding movie but it was nice to see him playing a more understated role than he's usually given, not unlike Brian Blessed in those Kenneth Branagh Shakespeare movies.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 2, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

For the love of gently caress. Goddamn.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

phasma is a toy design in want of anyone behind the scenes who cared enough about her to have any kind of take or story to tell

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

multijoe posted:

-Bombastic
-Angry
-Says the word

So what you're saying is he should've been Jar Jar

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he's very good in Coach Carter. It's not an outstanding movie but it was nice to see him playing a more understated role than he's usually given, not unlike Brian Blessed in those Kenneth Branagh Hamlet movies.

While I haven't seen Coach Carter, that seems to be how it goes with SLJ. He shows up and sometimes he gets to explore the character with nuance and interest, and other times the director is telling him "I hired SLJ to play SLJ, so gimme some of that SLJ manic charm." Same thing happens with Nic Cage, for instance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Franchescanado posted:

While I haven't seen Coach Carter, that seems to be how it goes with SLJ. He shows up and sometimes he gets to explore the character with nuance and interest, and other times the director is telling him "I hired SLJ to play SLJ, so gimme some of that SLJ manic charm." Same thing happens with Nic Cage, for instance.

I remember reading that one of the film festivals or critics circles (I don't recall which, so take this with a pinch of salt) actually created a Best Supporting Actor award so they could give it to Jackson for his role in Jungle Fever. Of course, he wasn't even nominated for the corresponding Oscar or Golden Globe for that movie, but that goes without saying.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Franchescanado posted:

Marvel has literally redesigned a character that's been around for decades to look like SLJ, he's that drat charismatic.

Also, the dude got his start with Roger Corman and Troma flicks. He's very happy to show up in some goofy poo poo for the hell of it, like the amazing Deep Blue Sea.

He can definitely bring the drama, but when he's taking a role to have fun it's obvious he's having fun and that translates really well to the audience.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

euphronius posted:

Yeah I think everyone here agrees Star Wars is not popular with Star Wars fans.

Worst. Cosmic. Wars. Ever.

I will only see it three more times. Today.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

Jedi are charisma black holes.

Ever since the good movies (the first three) yeah

We now live in a world with 2:1 bad Star Wars to good Star Wars and it's sad

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

I said come in! posted:

It's cool that Jackson was in Star Wars, but disappointing that his strengths as an actor weren't utilized at all and he was barely in the three movies.

The role was to be an older, experienced Jedi leader who exudes an air of authority and intensity despite his outwardly measured demeanor, and who leaves no doubt in your mind that he could kick your rear end if he wanted to. He basically has to be a guy who fits the stereotypical mold of a serene Jedi Master but who can still subtly intimidate and serve as an authoritarian foil to Anakin without even saying anything definitely antagonistic. I can understand exactly why Lucas saw him in the role. It utilizes the qualities he was known for in other roles while also allowing him to stretch his abilities and do something different.

Mace Windu is the Jedi police chief who ends up becoming the exact kind of loose-cannon cop it used to be his job to rein in. He's the Jedi leader who has to go even farther down the rabbit-hole than Yoda and pay the ultimate price for it. His role is fairly two-dimensional but it's an important one to get right.

"You know, m'lady, that Count Dooku was once a Jedi. He couldn't assassinate anyone. It's not in his character."

(Note that this moment represents the culmination of the Jedi's moral degradation and failure, and so when the moment is replayed on the second Death Star in ROTJ only for Luke to refuse to give in to hate where Mace Windu succumbed, it represents the long-awaited redemption and thus, the return, of the Jedi. So for Rian Johnson to excavate this scene yet again for the express purpose of directly undermining this thematic arc in order to create a cheap, unearned, and artificial conflict is lazy and inexcusable. Hitting the reverse button on a character so you can retread the exact same ground all over again isn't psychologically realistic or compelling, it's just tedious.)

Anyway, how could you ever claim that Jackson's strengths as an actor weren't utilized when we have moments like this:

That's pure hatred and bloodlust for the Sith etched on the face of a senior Jedi Master.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

Worst. Cosmic. Wars. Ever.

If you don't shut up and like it we'll make you watch Valyrian instead

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Blazing Ownager posted:

If you don't shut up and like it we'll make you watch Valyrian instead

God drat that movie was so close to being awesome.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

Anyway, how could you ever claim that Jackson's strengths as an actor weren't utilized when we have moments like this:

Not SLJ's fault the movie sucked.

Anakin: "I can't betray the Jedi! I must help them!"
Palpatine: YOU ALL DIIEEEEEEE
Anakin: "Oh gee, oh golly"
Palpatine: Go murder kids
Anakin: "Sure thing boss"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Franchescanado posted:

They cast him in a role originally that of a Clint Eastwood type white dude, and I don't remember anyone complaining, even.

Although the Ultimates version might have already been a black dude? But in my admittedly fuzzy memory, one based on... Samuel L. Jackson.

I do recall being surprised his filmography wasn't more impressive around the Snakes on a Plane era, but mostly because he had the image and presence of a Clooney by that point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

A stunningly accurate retelling.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Franchescanado posted:

What's great is they didn't do that because of the movies. Ultimate Nick Fury took his likeness before he ever signed on for anything, years before the MCU was a thing. So the fact that he signed on is just a case of literal perfect casting.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As I said earlier Lucas actually has great talent as director in action/motion/etc. His deficiencies come from how he does with actors, which mostly depends on if the actor themselves can do the legwork. Guys like Ian Mcdiarmid or Harrison Ford have the kind of natural gravitas to make it work. But some people need a lot of work. I think the real cornerstone of the Prequels negative qualities is Anakin and Padme. Lucas just could not get a good performance out of them. And since they are basically the centerpiece of the trilogy it really drags the whole thing down. The Prequels would be exponentially better if you could get some actors who worked better without directorial help (And had chemistry with each other} in those roles.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

galagazombie posted:

As I said earlier Lucas actually has great talent as director in action/motion/etc. His deficiencies come from how he does with actors, which mostly depends on if the actor themselves can do the legwork. Guys like Ian Mcdiarmid or Harrison Ford have the kind of natural gravitas to make it work. But some people need a lot of work. I think the real cornerstone of the Prequels negative qualities is Anakin and Padme. Lucas just could not get a good performance out of them. And since they are basically the centerpiece of the trilogy it really drags the whole thing down. The Prequels would be exponentially better if you could get some actors who worked better without directorial help (And had chemistry with each other} in those roles.

The romance plot is also really really bad though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

galagazombie posted:

You are assuming tho that the actors were flat because of bad direction and “good” because they ignored Lucas or whatever. That’s begging the question.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blazing Ownager posted:

Palp and Annie

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lucas was deliberately trying to get silent film or Golden Age Hollywood style acting for the prequels. How well he achieved it is up for debate but that's what he was aiming for.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/PrequelMemesBot/status/1080572399295156224

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Possible Homer sexual.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

Well yeah, it's obvious you didn't pay attention to the movie. Palpatine has been spending the entire film filling Anakin's head with the idea that good and evil are artificial constructs and the Jedi and Sith are both in it for the same reason: self-interest. Anakin doesn't want to believe this because in his heart he's a good person, but at the same time he can't help but suspect it's the truth. He also has long felt that the Jedi have been holding him back from becoming powerful enough to save people like his mother, not for good reasons like Obi-Wan claims, but simply because they fear that he may threaten their monopoly on power. So when the leader of the Jedi Order, the guy who represents all the forces that in Anakin's mind have been arbitrarily holding him back for all these years, seems to forget every single Jedi principle the instant his own attachments are threatened, it basically confirms to Anakin everything Palpatine has told him about the Jedi.

Since Anakin is now complicit in Mace's murder and thinks he can never go back to the Jedi, and because the Sith now represent his only possible chance to save Padme from certain death, Anakin desperately throws in with Palpatine. Since he thinks he has no choice at this point but to join the Sith, his powers of rationalization start to kick into overdrive. Since he's now committed to Palpatine's philosophy and actively opening himself to the influence of the dark side, it's a short leap to agreeing to the murder of the Jedi children, both on the grounds that it can be justified on a utilitarian basis (collateral damage in a mission to prevent future civil war), and because committing dark acts will increase his power in the dark side and directly aid him in his quest to save his wife. Your mistake is thinking that this is a shift that took place over the course of an instant, rather than recognizing that it's a gradual shift that has been taking place since as far back as Episode I, arising from such moments as Mace Windu denying him from becoming a Padawan because of fears about what he might do in the future (isn't that logic kind of similar to the way Palpatine justified the elimination of the Younglings?).

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lucas was deliberately trying to get silent film or Golden Age Hollywood style acting for the prequels. How well he achieved it is up for debate but that's what he was aiming for.

And I can see that on some actors, but Anakin and Padme I guess didn't "get it" and they spend the whole trilogy looking like they have no idea what they're doing. Compare to say Christopher Lee, who knows exactly that kind of role and pulls it off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RIP Christopher Lee, my favorite evil grandpa. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

galagazombie posted:

And I can see that on some actors, but Anakin and Padme I guess didn't "get it" and they spend the whole trilogy looking like they have no idea what they're doing. Compare to say Christopher Lee, who knows exactly that kind of role and pulls it off.

I guess Anakin's supposed to be a Rebel Without a Cause type but if there's a problem it's that Hayden Christensen (who's certainly not a bad actor) just isn't James Dean. :shrug:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

galagazombie posted:

Christensen totally got it. Far from being wooden in those scenes, he's pouring his soul into every cheesy line and he, along with Williams' score, basically carries the whole romance. Portman's the only one who's wooden in those scenes. You can almost see the contempt for the material on her face. And fair enough if that's what she thought, but it was her job to buy into it. Christensen was basically a no-name actor with no ego to make him think he was better than the movie, so he was willing to take it seriously even if he thought it was ridiculous.

If you read J.W. Rinzler's cease-and-desisted blog posts about his time at Lucasfilm, he mentions that Christensen was the only one of the three main actors who was enthusiastic about talking to him during the filming of Episode III. Portman and McGregor both treated him with contempt and completely blew him off, and it was Rinzler's impression that they were in a perpetual state of professional frustration due to the critical reception to Episodes I and II.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I guess Anakin's supposed to be a Rebel Without a Cause type but if there's a problem it's that Hayden Christensen (who's certainly not a bad actor) just isn't James Dean. :shrug:

Christensen is no James Dean but he's a perfectly good actor. Do what everyone says and watch Shattered Glass if you haven't. Christensen isn't remotely bad in Attack of the Clones. Everyone just says he is because they're transferring their intense dislike of the character and the writing onto the actor. He ironically only shows hints of woodenness in Revenge of the Sith, after an acting coach was brought in.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 2, 2019

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cnut the Great posted:

The role was to be an older, experienced Jedi leader who exudes an air of authority and intensity despite his outwardly measured demeanor, and who leaves no doubt in your mind that he could kick your rear end if he wanted to. He basically has to be a guy who fits the stereotypical mold of a serene Jedi Master but who can still subtly intimidate and serve as an authoritarian foil to Anakin without even saying anything definitely antagonistic. I can understand exactly why Lucas saw him in the role. It utilizes the qualities he was known for in other roles while also allowing him to stretch his abilities and do something different.

Mace Windu is the Jedi police chief who ends up becoming the exact kind of loose-cannon cop it used to be his job to rein in. He's the Jedi leader who has to go even farther down the rabbit-hole than Yoda and pay the ultimate price for it. His role is fairly two-dimensional but it's an important one to get right.

When I hear Mace described like that, I can only ever think how much better I would have liked Laurence Fishburne in the role. He can exude authority and quiet menace with the best of them and is much more of an asskicker than Jackson when he finally explodes. I guess he was busy at the time doing the Matrix movies but I often try to imagine how Fishburne would have delivered the "A Sith lord?!" line.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That discription is nice and all but we don't see that on screen from Jackson at any point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just don’t trust this account.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

I said come in! posted:

That discription is nice and all but we don't see that on screen from Jackson at any point.

You don't think Mace Windu is intimidating or intense? He's always sitting on the Council with a constant hint of a scowl on his face, and he's curt and dismissive to almost anything that's said to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I just don’t trust this account.

what's to have trust over? it's just a silly meme account, you aren't inviting it over for dinner