Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hello thread. I know this is not a newspaper comic, but rather an ad comic, but I still want to bring this gay little man to your attention:

I feel like he has the makings for a thread mascot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Thought we had a mascot already,

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MariusLecter posted:

Thought we had a mascot already,

What have you done

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Buster wasn't always that terrifying. Or was he?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Molti

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ahhhh....yeah. Yeahhhhh.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pretty much how I quit my job at Target in college. I called them up and said "I'm not coming in....ever"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

:smith:

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Kids Say the Darnedest Things MD

Andertoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbQKSaYQD8

Apartment 3-G

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

this is how movie theaters have worked for over a century
this is, indeed, the purpose of movie theaters

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm a big fan of this! What's it called?

Interior, kitchen, day. Ed is reading the paper. Dustin and Megan are eating breakfast

Panel 1:
Ed: "Huh, according to this, they've changed the definition of 'Millennials'. It no longer includes people born after 1996!"

Panel 2:
Dusin: "Wow, I wonder what they'll call the next generation."

Panel 3:
[Megan and Ed share a poignant glance]

Panel 4:
Megan: "Successful!"
Ed: [Laughing]
Dustin: [Pained expression]

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alterian posted:

Pretty much how I quit my job at Target in college. I called them up and said "I'm not coming in....ever"

Don't ever quit in person.

They will ask you to fill out loving forms and poo poo.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Alterian posted:

I actually gave two weeks notice when I left Target for a better job, and my boss (sorry, Team Leader) seemed rather confused by the concept.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Selachian posted:

I actually gave two weeks notice when I left Target for a better job, and my boss (sorry, Team Leader) seemed rather confused by the concept.

Quitting Target or better jobs?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
If we're hopping on the Lynn Johnston hate train, don't forget to pack these goodies:

Why I Hate Anthony

Aaaaaaannnnd... a 21-part takedown of her biography by those that love to hate:

1. Part 1: Initial Impressions and The Information Age
  2. Part 2: The Business Evolves: Karen Matchette
  3. Part 3: The Business Evolves: The Staff After Karen Matchette
  4. Part 4: Quit While You’re Ahead: To Retire or Not to Retire?
  5. Part 5: Quit While You’re Ahead: A-Headed for Divorce
  6. Part 6: Quit While You’re Ahead: Or Don’t Quit in the Worst Way
  7. Part 7: Elly Jansen: The Most Shameless Story
  8. Part 8: Cecily Sell and Those Darn Husbands
  9. Part 9: One Open Door Leads to Another – The Move to Hamilton
  10. Part 10: Doug and Farley
  11. Part 11: Bernhard Thor
  12. Part 12: Aaron Arrives, Doug Leaves
  13. Part 13: The Negligees, No Alan, and the Death of Farley (the dog)
  14. Part 14: Things Are Looking Up: The Books
  15. Part 15: And Here Comes Rod
  16. Part 16: Behold the Contract Arrives, But When?
  17. Part 17: Who Created What and Why?
  18. Part 18: Life in a Northern Town (Not as bad as it used to be be)
  19. Part 19: Moving from Lynn Lake (and Some Brand New Lies)
  20. Part 20: Evil Ursula, the Woman Nobody But Lynn Hated (even Katie)
  21. Part 21: Ursula’s Sisters – Monica and Unity

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember, did these newspaper comics threads start up as FOOB-"appreciation" threads, or am I mixing their origins up with how the politoon threads started as some dummy's unironic appreciation thread for Mallard Fillmore?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't remember, did these newspaper comics threads start up as FOOB-"appreciation" threads, or am I mixing their origins up with how the politoon threads started as some dummy's unironic appreciation thread for Mallard Fillmore?

Yeah, these threads spawned from the GBS Foob thread. We realized with dread that we were the largest online Foob fan community.

:fireman:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

incredible

Thank you for these! Give all of this delicious terribleness right to me, yes, thank you

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Goon project: let's read a newspaper comic!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CommaToes posted:

Yeah, these threads spawned from the GBS Foob thread. We realized with dread that we were the largest online Foob fan community.

:fireman:
Thankfully, we were able to smile, and move on.

The Dinette Set stays informed.

Working Daze is incapable of change.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix hopes we die, it hopes we both die.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Okay, Safe Haven needs to be a bad movie so it can be differ properly.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Alterian posted:

I scribbled a note on a paper towel and left it in the manger office when I quit Walmart. I only came back there to get a paycheck re-validated that I forgot to cash.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

One day I'll leave. One day.

Also don't forget that April in Foob is A: the only family member not based on a real person from LJ's life and B: ironically the only one who gets away from it all with a happy ending because she's A Bad Daughter Who Dislikes Family And Love And Family And Togetherness And Destiny And Family

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hostile V posted:

Also don't forget that April in Foob is A: the only family member not based on a real person from LJ's life and B: ironically the only one who gets away from it all with a happy ending because she's A Bad Daughter Who Dislikes Family And Love And Family And Togetherness And Destiny And Family

April killed Farley through her own negligence. :colbert:

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And re-wrote her own son's life in-strip to fulfill her own fantasies of him 1) being straight and 2) marrying his (invented) high school sweet-heart.

Wait what? This is the first time I've heard this. Is this true?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Transmodiar posted:

If we're hopping on the Lynn Johnston hate train, don't forget to pack these goodies:

Why I Hate Anthony

quote:

A woman on LiveJournal with the username ellcee writes elaborate anti-Anthony fanfics in which he appears as a murderer or the mustache-twirling villain of a Victorian romance.

:lol:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

April killed Farley through her own negligence. :colbert:
Neglectful parenting is lucky to have resulted in the death of a dog and not the death of a child. Also she was four and they never forgave her for it. :colbert:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

I hate Anthony. I hate him more than I’ve ever hated a cartoon character, and, yes, I’m including both Scrappy-Doo and Ted Rall.

:lol:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

quote:

For Better or For Worse has long been one of my favorite comic strips. It’s the last great newspaper comic, a holdover from a time when there was room for accomplished art, clever dialogue, and ambitious plotting in the funny pages. Creator Lynn Johnston is one of the most gifted female cartoonists in North America
Lol...?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
She's not wrong. I'm hard pressed to see any other newspaper comic pulling off the right mix of coherent, stupid, and pretentious necessary to inspire a good mock thread.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I have to force myself not to add timg tags out of sheer habit.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

OH NO I HATE IT

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Yvonmukluk posted:

'Diabolical creature' is pretty unflattering as well, to be honest.

I must admit when I first read that strip, way back when it was first published, the implication of 'I foresee her ruining our Christmas dinners for decades to come' completely flew over my head.
Is that a "The mom predicts Lottie and Sonny are gonna get married and ruin the mom's Christmas" thing? Lottie is married to Mystery!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

LvK posted:

OH NO I HATE IT
It is a bit heartbreaking to think that even before Williams Syndrome had a name you could be mocked for having it.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Sorry if I missed it, but where has Mildred gone?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I have to force myself not to add timg tags out of sheer habit.
I'm confused as to what order to read the panels?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PuddingKnight posted:

She's studying for tests.

fondue posted:

It's four consecutive pages, laid out as a vertical arrangement of horizontal spreads.

1 4
2 5
3 6
7 10
8 11
9 12

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

fondue posted:

Some Guy TT posted:

1-----4
2-----5
3-----6
--------
7----10
8----11
9----12
Took me a minute to understand what this part of Some Guy TT's earlier post was about too. Read down the left side for three panels, then back up to the right, then the same on the lower half.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

PuddingKnight posted:

She's off doing Lord Bath's Excellence awards(was this Bobbins linked to already?).

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Nyeehg posted:

Wait what? This is the first time I've heard this. Is this true?

It is.

(I'm typing this from memory, so people feel free to correct me if I get details wrong.) Aaron, the kiddo Michael is based on turned out to be gay. And he is very much not gay in the strip, as we know. But to add an extra hurtful layer to the story is that at one time Aaron, a photographer for his local paper, was asked to take pictures of a car crash. He went and did his job, not knowing that a young woman he had known from school was dying inside that car.

Lynn wrote that car crash into the strip, including Michael taking pictures of the wreckage. But she made the young woman survive. (It's possible that Michael saved the woman's life, but I could be wrong about that.) That young woman was Deanna, a character that Michael knew in school, and who would go on to marry Michael and bear him multiple children.

Aaron and Lynn are now estranged.

Haifisch posted:

Buster wasn't always that terrifying. Or was he?

I sympathize with the little dude. Novocaine wasn't quite invented yet at the time of this comic and though nitrous oxide was around, it clearly isn't being used here. (But also a great many dentists refused to use anesthetic on kids anyway until somewhat recently. Makes sense since reliable dental anesthesia is still a relatively new thing and it's generally frowned upon to just pump little kids faces full of things we aren't yet sure are safe. Ask your parents! The dental phobias we see in a lot of older people didn't just spring from nowhere!)

You can pick a tasteful wall color and then let the kid help picking out like bedspreads and poo poo. You can even narrow the wall color down to several choices and let the kid pick her favorite. It's not an all or nothing deal.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

You can pick a tasteful wall color and then let the kid help picking out like bedspreads and poo poo. You can even narrow the wall color down to several choices and let the kid pick her favorite. It's not an all or nothing deal.

We did the walls in nice, pastel neutrals as nurseries and have let them do whatever they want with the decor.

They can change the wall colors when they're old enough to do most of the work themselves and are interested. The plan is to tell them no just long enough for the yes to be special, maybe a 13th birthday present or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Huxley posted:

We did the walls in nice, pastel neutrals as nurseries and have let them do whatever they want with the decor.

They can change the wall colors when they're old enough to do most of the work themselves and are interested. The plan is to tell them no just long enough for the yes to be special, maybe a 13th birthday present or something.

I can't say anything about the execution but you have a terrific plan.