Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Trump dementia can barely even be called an open secret at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Flavahbeast posted:

The USSR invaded Afghanistan to fight terrorism?

They invaded because nobody listened to Kosygin.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Flavahbeast posted:

The USSR invaded Afghanistan to fight terrorism?

yea those terrorists were trying to not get annexed by the USSR!

Russiagate Trump is broke, Tankie Trump is bespoke.

Frond posted:

They invaded because nobody listened to Kosygin.

That was the dude they literally locked out of the Politburo meeting where they decided to do it just so it would be unanimous, right?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Trump ad libbing on the Middle East right now is loving insane. He's talking about how Iran was on the verge of taking over the Middle East when he took office and had Saudi Arabia under siege. Then he took credit for weakening them so much that they're having bigger riots than they've ever had before, which is just as absurd--the protests last year were nowhere near as big as the failed Green Movement from 2009. He also said the words "they can do what they want there, frankly" about Iran in Syria, which I have to imagine Netanyahu isn't going to appreciate.

There was also this, lmao:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1080549357232025601

Like everything that comes out of this loving guy's mouth, the paint-strippingly insane view into what Trump thinks happened in history takes all the focus off the truly loving threatening part slipped in there nonchalantly like a sewing needle in a Halloween Snickers bar:

did he just loving imply that India should commit troops to Pakistan's northern border because they're "there"!?!?!?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sinteres posted:

Trump ad libbing on the Middle East right now is loving insane. He's talking about how Iran was on the verge of taking over the Middle East when he took office and had Saudi Arabia under siege. Then he took credit for weakening them so much that they're having bigger riots than they've ever had before, which is just as absurd--the protests last year were nowhere near as big as the failed Green Movement from 2009. He also said the words "they can do what they want there, frankly" about Iran in Syria, which I have to imagine Netanyahu isn't going to appreciate.

There was also this, lmao:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1080549357232025601

i love how dumb he is. like i don't expect him to know everything but christ.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
letting india and pakistan duke it out probably would be for the best.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wild Horses posted:

I don't think we need a "regional" scale nuclear war, to be honest.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

fishmech posted:

I don't think we need a "regional" scale nuclear war, to be honest.

Listen that part of the jetstream only passes over india, pakistan, nepal, afghanistan, china, and southeast asia. and their water supply.

There'll be like 4-5 billion people totally unaffected. bing bong. so simple.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Willie Tomg posted:

Listen that part of the jetstream only passes over india, pakistan, nepal, afghanistan, china, and southeast asia. and their water supply.

There'll be like 4-5 billion people totally unaffected. bing bong. so simple.

Sounds like 4-5 billion new customers for premium american non-[less-]radiation water

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

thy would just promise not to use nukes. easy peasy

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Sounds like 4-5 billion new customers for premium american Aqua-Cola

ftfy

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

Then he took credit for weakening them so much that they're having bigger riots than they've ever had before, which is just as absurd--the protests last year were nowhere near as big as the failed Green Movement from 2009.

If the word he used is riots, then he's right on a technicality. The more recent episodes have been a lot more confrontational than the green movement. But either way, at its height, they may well have been larger than the green movement due to it being a prominent thing all over the country whereas the green movement was largely urban kids. They've also got a lot more staying power since the various strikes and whatnot are ongoing even now. And I'd say there's no doubt that the government is much more afraid of internal instability now than they were during the green movement.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Idlib rebel infighting stepping up a notch. Ahrar Al Sham and Zinki declare war on HTS.

https://twitter.com/OmerOzkizilcik/status/1080460807480197121

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I hope all of those assholes kill each other.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/Waheed_Omer/status/1080817589293596674

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

Uh, no? Both countries have nukes, dude. Letting them “duke it out” is an astonishingly bad idea.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/Bosni94/status/1080850760190038016?s=19

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Uh, no? Both countries have nukes, dude. Letting them “duke it out” is an astonishingly bad idea.

Depends on your priorities, I guess. Some folks really aspire to being that couple in When the Wind Blows.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I suspect it was not meant seriously.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Count Roland posted:

I suspect it was not meant seriously.

i cant tell anymore, in this hellish timeline

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

its one of those conflicts that, like israel palestine is so retardedly hard to untangle its frustrating and also a waste of time. I can't care about pakistans and indias slapfight anymore and wish they'd just settle it in a blood bowl

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Wild Horses posted:

its one of those conflicts that, like israel palestine is so retardedly hard to untangle its frustrating and also a waste of time. I can't care about pakistans and indias slapfight anymore and wish they'd just settle it in a blood bowl

I'm not sure where they have the Edgy Stupid Opinion thread, but you should probably head over there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wild Horses posted:

I don't think the point of the conflict is to entertain you

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

i cant tell anymore, in this hellish timeline

Well apparently I can't tell either.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Wild Horses posted:

Lol it makes you feel stupid so you want to see them hurt

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think the point of the conflict is to entertain you
As a both a millennial and an American I find the idea that everything isn't about me incredibly insulting.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wild Horses posted:

Hope you enjoy dyng from a mass casulty nuclear release if that happens. Idiot

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1080955347131600900

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That is a good advertisement for the show.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/JaredSzuba/status/1080836658747097088

~regime change~

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Erdogan's either like the dog that catches a car and doesn't know what to do with it and is pleading for help, or he just figures Trump's a big enough idiot to give him a bunch of support either way:

https://twitter.com/JuliaArciga/status/1081276304870334470

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'm amazed they didn't immediately fold for once.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Erdogan's either like the dog that catches a car and doesn't know what to do with it and is pleading for help, or he just figures Trump's a big enough idiot to give him a bunch of support either way:

https://twitter.com/JuliaArciga/status/1081276304870334470

This is just the same bs Erdogan has been saying since 2014.

steinrokkan posted:

I'm amazed they didn't immediately fold for once.

Is some particular time CBS has folded under foreign pressure you're thinking of? Idgi

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Media outlets bow to Saudi pressure on a regular basis. This isn't a Saudi story per se, but Sisi is a key Saudi ally.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I’ll be in Turkey for the next 10 days. Very curious as to how the Turkish media is covering this whole thing.

Okay, so over the past few weeks I had many conversations with friends, relatives and acquaintances about the whole Syria situation. Some "stream of consciousness" formed by my unofficial and non-scientific polling of public opinion:

• According to polls, the vast majority of Turks today (about 80%) strongly dislike America vis a vis its foreign policy. The negative sentiment seems to have started around the Obama years, when Obama and his generals provided substantial support to Kurds in an effort to use them as pawns against ISIS. This was obviously against Turkey's interests. (I was generally surprised by the anti-American sentiment though because it was the opposite when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s).
  • Trump's recent decision to pull out of Syria is regarded with deep skepticism.
  • Several of my friends (from across the political spectrum, which is much wider in Turkey than it is in the US) described Turkey's goals in Syria as "give the arabs and syrians their lands back in northern syria". The consensus is that the Kurds kicked them out of the region during the fight with ISIS and settled their own people there (in an effort to improve their bid for an autonomous, independent Kurdistan), which Turkey will obviously have none of.
  • It is widely believed that Turkey has no interest in a permanent occupation (i.e. "land grab/capture") of any lands in Northern Syria, as there is almost nothing of value there.
  • Speaking of Kurdistan, the consensus is that it will basically never happen, and Turkey will - and should - do anything to make sure it doesn't. Makes sense to me: nobody wants a hostile nation-state forming right at its border.
  • About 20% of Turkey's population speaks Kurdish ("Kurds" as an ethnic group is actually quite fluid). About half of those live in big cities in the West, and they mostly vote for Erdogan's party (AKP).
  • The Western media blames Erdogan for re-kindling Turkey's conflict with PKK/YPG to consolidate his own power. It turns out this is not actually true (or at least only half-true).

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/ilham_ehmed/status/1081307941871980544

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

enraged_camel posted:

Okay, so over the past few weeks I had many conversations with friends, relatives and acquaintances about the whole Syria situation. Some "stream of consciousness" formed by my unofficial and non-scientific polling of public opinion:

• According to polls, the vast majority of Turks today (about 80%) strongly dislike America vis a vis its foreign policy. The negative sentiment seems to have started around the Obama years, when Obama and his generals provided substantial support to Kurds in an effort to use them as pawns against ISIS. This was obviously against Turkey's interests. (I was generally surprised by the anti-American sentiment though because it was the opposite when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s).
  • Trump's recent decision to pull out of Syria is regarded with deep skepticism.
  • Several of my friends (from across the political spectrum, which is much wider in Turkey than it is in the US) described Turkey's goals in Syria as "give the arabs and syrians their lands back in northern syria". The consensus is that the Kurds kicked them out of the region during the fight with ISIS and settled their own people there (in an effort to improve their bid for an autonomous, independent Kurdistan), which Turkey will obviously have none of.
  • It is widely believed that Turkey has no interest in a permanent occupation (i.e. "land grab/capture") of any lands in Northern Syria, as there is almost nothing of value there.
  • Speaking of Kurdistan, the consensus is that it will basically never happen, and Turkey will - and should - do anything to make sure it doesn't. Makes sense to me: nobody wants a hostile nation-state forming right at its border.
  • About 20% of Turkey's population speaks Kurdish ("Kurds" as an ethnic group is actually quite fluid). About half of those live in big cities in the West, and they mostly vote for Erdogan's party (AKP).
  • The Western media blames Erdogan for re-kindling Turkey's conflict with PKK/YPG to consolidate his own power. It turns out this is not actually true (or at least only half-true).

You seem to be taking a lot of nationalist and racist propaganda at face value in here, or I'm reading your wording wrong.
But I'm pretty confident that you're 100% supportive of the "this ethnic minority doesn't deserve a country because one of their oppressors would be scared" notion. So lmfao are you loving kidding. That's some Likudnik stuff.

Also:

quote:

The consensus is that the Kurds kicked them out of the region during the fight with ISIS and settled their own people there (in an effort to improve their bid for an autonomous, independent Kurdistan), which Turkey will obviously have none of.

:ironicat:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Speaking of Kurdistan, the consensus is that it will basically never happen, and Turkey will - and should - do anything to make sure it doesn't. Makes sense to me: nobody wants a hostile nation-state forming right at its border.

Isn't that exactly the argument made by Israel regarding Palestine?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Nationalistic shithead sentiments exist in every country and can be manipulated easily with propaganda (as evidenced by the fact that in the 80s and 90s they didn't have the 'us vs. the world' narrative yet'). News at 10.

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Isn't that exactly the argument made by Israel regarding Palestine?

You don't say? Except in this case it isn't even backed by the whole 'We're surrounded by Islamists that want to exterminate Jews, we gotta prevent it' narrative at all. Instead it's just 'rightful arab clay!' and evicting Kurds that did live there to fit their stupid goodfacts, totally unlike conquering anything at all!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Turkish politics are more broad than Americas, but much like Greek politics they're also kind of not because capital N Nationalism is extremely heavy duty and prevalent across the board even including some far leftists.

Like the secular Kemalist party that is the main opposition to Erdogan's Turkish GOP party. Both these parties are nationalist as gently caress.