Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

cyberbug posted:

Gas wasn't always just a nice to have commodity when you have connection to a natural gas network, it was an important power distribution method before it was feasible to do everything with electricity.

And it still is in many areas, especially near city-centers. It's not uncommon to find older houses with only a 60 Amp electric service hookup, which is not nearly sufficient to support an electric clothes dryer, electric water heater, electric range, or any form of electric heating (e.g. heat pump backup strips), but if all (most) of those functions are performed by natural gas, the smaller electric service is plenty sufficient to run some light bulbs and miscellaneous household appliances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Electricity costs are so high around here I would absolutely go to battery+NG genset assuming such a thing actually exists.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

B-Nasty posted:

And it still is in many areas, especially near city-centers. It's not uncommon to find older houses with only a 60 Amp electric service hookup, which is not nearly sufficient to support an electric clothes dryer, electric water heater, electric range, or any form of electric heating (e.g. heat pump backup strips), but if all (most) of those functions are performed by natural gas, the smaller electric service is plenty sufficient to run some light bulbs and miscellaneous household appliances.
I’m guessing you’re not in the US? Because having a gas furnace, water heater, dryer, and stove is so common in a lot of areas here I wouldn’t think anyone would mention it.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m guessing you’re not in the US? Because having a gas furnace, water heater, dryer, and stove is so common in a lot of areas here I wouldn’t think anyone would mention it.

I'm talking about the US, where even given our natural gas surplus, we still don't have the infrastructure to use it everywhere. Natural gas is pretty common, but far from universally available. As a primary heating source, about 48% of the US uses NG, 37% electric, and 14% other (oil/propane/wood.)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Brute Squad posted:

GiP finds a treasure.
Is this like one of those demonstration houses that firefighters burn down for practice? I mean...
Gas cookstove (no hood of course)

Gas fireplace 1

Gas fireplace 2

This battery mess

Propane tank

Gas heat stove with burn/soot marks

And wooden debris surrounding the house, in semi-arid scrubland subject to high winds which have already damaged the roof. But hey, you'll probably die of carbon monoxide poisoning before it catches fire.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Youth Decay posted:

And wooden debris surrounding the house, in semi-arid scrubland subject to high winds which have already damaged the roof.

If the roof was built like everything else (and of course it was), I don't think those winds were all that high.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
How important is a hood for a gas stove?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unless it's an outdoor stove, very.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Unless you're only making tea you're going to want a vent on any kind of stove.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
We had flueless heaters for donkey's and only a few people died per year...
A stovestop is even less deadly (but more messy) than a heater.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't think I've ever had a gas stove that was actually vented outside, at best they have a hood that just filters grease/smoke and blows out the top.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I forget to turn the vent on sometimes and the carbon monoxide alarm has never gone off. :shobon:

Obviously it’s best to have a vent and use it, but it’s pretty far down my list of worries.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Youth Decay posted:

Is this like one of those demonstration houses that firefighters burn down for practice? I mean...
Gas cookstove (no hood of course)

Gas fireplace 1

Gas fireplace 2

This battery mess

Propane tank

Gas heat stove with burn/soot marks

And wooden debris surrounding the house, in semi-arid scrubland subject to high winds which have already damaged the roof. But hey, you'll probably die of carbon monoxide poisoning before it catches fire.

When did Grover move out west?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ashcans posted:

I don't think I've ever had a gas stove that was actually vented outside, at best they have a hood that just filters grease/smoke and blows out the top.

:same:

In fact that’s what I currently have right now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Is it just me, or are both of those bolts completely out of whack, not just the supposed bad one?
I mean, the head on both of them is not perpendicular to the shank.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Unless you're only making tea you're going to want a vent on any kind of stove.

That's what I was thinking. I don't cook much on the stove top though, so I suppose I can put off a vent hood for a little while if it's just about grease.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Darchangel posted:

Is it just me, or are both of those bolts completely out of whack, not just the supposed bad one?
I mean, the head on both of them is not perpendicular to the shank.

Pretty sure that's just lens distortion from the extreme close-up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ashcans posted:

The trick is this is fine in old houses, because they are nothing remotely approaching airtight. In a newer, more modernly wrapped and insulated home, it can be a problem indeed.

Plus, you know, no real hood means cooking coats the whole room in a fine layer of grease.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"foundations a few metres deep" into clay and soil.

Should have pulled them all down immediately. "Yes, let the next generation worry about it when all the buildings fall over and kill countless people."

I hope they evacuate the place and then use it as an experiment in building-scale dominos. And then make the people who built that poo poo pay for the cleanup

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Liquid Communism posted:

The trick is this is fine in old houses, because they are nothing remotely approaching airtight. In a newer, more modernly wrapped and insulated home, it can be a problem indeed.

Plus, you know, no real hood means cooking coats the whole room in a fine layer of grease.

God, that reminds me of working at a cabinet factory in 2007. We had this one specific low voc finish that nobody ever ordered because it was, in big red text, absolutely unsuitable for kitchens, due to any kind of oil instantly discoloring it on contact. So of course some sales shitbag lets a family order an entire kitchen in the stuff, and of course they immediately make a big Asian dinner with lots of oil everywhere, and of course sales spinelessly offers to warranty the utterly hosed doors on everything near the oven. It's morons all the way down.

I think the stuff was some wax based compound, it was like trying to brush honey onto a board it was so thick. They were the only people to ever purchase it on anything the entire time I worked there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I too have never lived anywhere with an actual proper working hood. Best I had was an apartment that had a hood that was nothing more than a filter. It's usually all gas ranges too. I can feel a breeze coming through my windows in the winter so I assume there's some nice passive ventilation going on here and I'm not dying from CO?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
W
Every house I've been in with a gas range, I always put a CO detector or two in the kitchen. One of them had a working hood, the other that drat filter setup.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our range hood (vents outside) isn't for poisonous gases it's so the living room doesn't smell like gyoza forever (and to humble brag to the neighbors about how good my cooking smells).

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I may just be a novice when it comes to properly routing water, but something tells me this isn’t terribly effective ...

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
When two people are working off the same plans, but using different scales.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

immoral_ posted:

When two people are working off the same plans, but using different scales.

Or rotated plans, which for some reason I find funnier.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
First off, yes that may be totally wrong, since I have no visual evidence of my theory. Usually we have regular drains and overflow scuppers. The regular drain ties in directly to the backside of the collector there and the overflow drain is totally clear so it’s difficult to clog.

The purpose of the overflow is if and when the regular drains fail, the water has somewhere to go rather than turning the roof into a pool, which is heavy and causes it to sag, increasing the capacity until it fails.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
^^You should listen to this guy. He knows a thing or two about the subject.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

StormDrain posted:

First off, yes that may be totally wrong, since I have no visual evidence of my theory. Usually we have regular drains and overflow scuppers. The regular drain ties in directly to the backside of the collector there and the overflow drain is totally clear so it’s difficult to clog.

The purpose of the overflow is if and when the regular drains fail, the water has somewhere to go rather than turning the roof into a pool, which is heavy and causes it to sag, increasing the capacity until it fails.
I appreciate a great concurrence between username and post. :golfclap:

Also, that makes sense. I can’t speak for building roof drains, but in designing dams and large retention ponds, a similar principle applies: You have the normal system to cover usual drainage and then a backup overflow system which exists to get water out ASAP in case of emergency (or crazy Biblical Ark level rains) to prevent a catastrophic failure.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

StormDrain posted:

I mean, yeah that's generally how it's done, but I haven't seen an outlet gutter flared like that on the buildings I've worked on.

Though that might just be me not paying attention at that point of the build, since I'm inside grilling out.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

I appreciate a great concurrence between username and post. :golfclap:

Also, that makes sense. I cant speak for building roof drains, but in designing dams and large retention ponds, a similar principle applies: You have the normal system to cover usual drainage and then a backup overflow system which exists to get water out ASAP in case of emergency (or crazy Biblical Ark level rains) to prevent a catastrophic failure.

Also the benefit of the one pictured is, if it does start pouring out the overflow, it's immediately obvious that your normal drains are probably clogged and/or underrated and you should probably do something about it before your roof caves in.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

immoral_ posted:

I mean, yeah that's generally how it's done, but I haven't seen an outlet gutter flared like that on the buildings I've worked on.

Though that might just be me not paying attention at that point of the build, since I'm inside grilling out.

Yeah that’s an odd detail and it really does make it look wrong. Some collector heads for gutters like that I’ve seen are larger than the gutters (almost like a funnel) they serve and I can’t say I’ve given much thought as to why. The open top is common though.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

The funnel is for collecting leaves easier of course!
I can imagine how many twigs and leaves get stuck in it. And perfect for bird nesting.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's more comfortable in winter, mainly. And when you're done with your shower, the bathmat gets hung back up. I'm a tile guy, myself, but the rabid hatred for carpeted bathrooms is really strange.

VVVVVVVVV
Then a lot of guys need to figure out how not to piss in the wrong place. That's not a carpeting issue.

you never had the stream come out sideways??? dicks aren't rifles they aren't accurate my dude. pull up your carpet

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

respect

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Wrong thread. This accomplishes the task literally just as well as the actual piece it replaces, and looks hilarious while doing it.

Wonderful Construction Tales: My downspout is a boot

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

FreshFeesh posted:

I may just be a novice when it comes to properly routing water, but something tells me this isn’t terribly effective ...

There is a drain behind the downspout funnel, the second, exposed drain is an emergency overflow in case the downspout gets clogged. It'll be several inches above the roof surface. It's so that you don't get too much water weight on the roof from water pooling due to clogged downspouts.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

n0tqu1tesane posted:

There is a drain behind the downspout funnel, the second, exposed drain is an emergency overflow in case the downspout gets clogged. It'll be several inches above the roof surface. It's so that you don't get too much water weight on the roof from water pooling due to clogged downspouts.

Which makes sense, but what makes it look as though that might not be the case is the flare at the top of the downspout and the fact that at first glance it's hard to see a defect in the brick behind it suggesting that something feeds directly into the downspout. (On closer inspection is does look like a chunk of the brick is chipped out.) I do wonder why that flare's there instead of a simple 90 degree bend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I do wonder why that flare's there instead of a simple 90 degree bend.

Probably because it's a lot easier to control the water flow that way rather than trying to seal up an elbow through the wall? I'm sure the roof is pitched that direction and there is probably a notch in the wall with a flashed spout directed at the flare.