Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BrandorKP posted:

I have some bad news about military officers and PowerPoint charts for you.

Well, Pat Shanahan was never a military guy and his only "military" experience was procurement in Boeing's defense division.

I think he gave me my diploma at my UW graduation, which is wild to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Peachfart posted:

This is a terrible standard to go by, and the important figure is how much damage does it do to the environment compared to other methods of energy generation. Hydroelectric is far better than nearly every other method of energy generation.

That's not true. Pick a major dam and find its wiki page. This was in the article for the proposed Belo Monte dam in Brazil:

"A 1990 study of the Curuá-Una Dam, also in Brazil, found that it pollutes 3.5 times more in carbon dioxide equivalent than an oil power plant generating an equal amount of electricity would"

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Christoph posted:

That's not true. Pick a major dam and find its wiki page. This was in the article for the proposed Belo Monte dam in Brazil:

"A 1990 study of the Curuá-Una Dam, also in Brazil, found that it pollutes 3.5 times more in carbon dioxide equivalent than an oil power plant generating an equal amount of electricity would"

This was also in the same paragraph:

"Dams in Brazil emit high amounts of methane, due to the lush jungle covered by waters each year as the basin fills. [...] If the dam builders cleared the forest beforehand, they would remove the organic matter from the reservoir floor and the dam would produce less of the greenhouse gas methane. However, in the case of Tucuruí, only the economically necessary forest was cut (10%, near the opening to the spillway) and the rest was left intact to be flooded by the reservoir."

So clearly there are more variables that don't all have the same magnitude for every dam everywhere.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Christoph posted:

That seems to be specific to warmer areas?

From https://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/our-energy-choices/renewable-energy/environmental-impacts-hydroelectric-power.html#.XCPDBNJKiUk

quote:

Small run-of-the-river plants emit between 0.01 and 0.03 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilowatt-hour. Life-cycle emissions from large-scale hydroelectric plants built in semi-arid regions are also modest: approximately 0.06 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilowatt-hour. However, estimates for life-cycle global warming emissions from hydroelectric plants built in tropical areas or temperate peatlands are much higher. After the area is flooded, the vegetation and soil in these areas decomposes and releases both carbon dioxide and methane. The exact amount of emissions depends greatly on site-specific characteristics. However, current estimates suggest that life-cycle emissions can be over 0.5 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilowatt-hour

To put this into context, estimates of life-cycle global warming emissions for natural gas generated electricity are between 0.6 and 2 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilowatt-hour and estimates for coal-generated electricity are 1.4 and 3.6 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilowatt-hour

And this study: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0161947

On average hydro has less CO2/KWH generation than fossil fuels. There's a handful of them that are worse, but it's a case by case situation, not a hard and fast rule. Large lakes put out a fair amount of CO2/Methane by themselves. It's worse when there's a dam constantly raising or lowering the water level.

All the other renewables seem to blow hydro out of the water, but that shouldn't be a surprise as they're not transforming an entire ecosystem when they're put up. (Offhand, there appears to be a some type of quadratic relationship between the size of the dam and the CO2/KWH output. A series of small lakes has a lesser effect than a single giant lake) ((Also, none of this seems to take into account a baseline output, so putting a dam at the outlet of a natural lake has a lesser overall effect than just randomly plugging up a river and making a lake))

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

seiferguy posted:

Well, Pat Shanahan was never a military guy and his only "military" experience was procurement in Boeing's defense division.

I think he gave me my diploma at my UW graduation, which is wild to think about.

I'm not sure we need a military guy as Secretary of Defense.

This isn't to say Pat Shanahan will be competent in the position - just that his lack of experience with or in the military shouldn't be counted as a strike against him.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

MrBlandAverage posted:

So clearly there are more variables that don't all have the same magnitude for every dam everywhere.

I see. I read about Brazil's horrible dams in Fred Pearce's "When the Rivers Run Dry" and assumed they were equally bad elsewhere.

They're all equally bad from a water management perspective, but that's another subject.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Christoph posted:

I see. I read about Brazil's horrible dams in Fred Pearce's "When the Rivers Run Dry" and assumed they were equally bad elsewhere.

They're all equally bad from a water management perspective, but that's another subject.

There's always a cost for power, we're just shifting it around. You could theoretically make a dam even more efficient by treating it like a landfill, and covering it with plastic and siphoning off the methane so it produces natural gas AND hydro power.

You'll, ya know, kill a ton of fish doing that, but whatever.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not sure we need a military guy as Secretary of Defense.

This isn't to say Pat Shanahan will be competent in the position - just that his lack of experience with or in the military shouldn't be counted as a strike against him.

Read between the lines - a bunch of us worked under him (or several levels under him) or otherwise have significant experience with Boeing management.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
While in Washington County an emergency alert broadcast went out.

quote:

911 are down, please call 360-693-3111

A Clark County (Washington) number

:buddy:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Same for King County

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Just got it in Snohomish County as well.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Got the alert not long ago as well. So I assume The Purge is real now?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Got the alert not long ago as well. So I assume The Purge is real now?

If they directing people to call a Vancouver number? Undoubtedly. :killing:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
After a long horrible stressful day at work and falling asleep to a horror movie the last thing I want to wake up to is an "EXTREME THREAT ALERT" on my phone.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
What the hell was the alert for? I live there, but I'm out of the state currently. :stonk:

Oh. CenturyLink hosed up (surprising no one)

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2018/12/did-you-receive-a-startling-911-alert-on-your-phone-last-night-heres-why.html

Dirt Road Junglist fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 28, 2018

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Century Link is making GBS threads itself lately to the point of disrupting 911 services.

That's it.

My VOIP team had fun explaining that to senior staff yesterday.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Suffice to say this is going to make all the emergency managers question if Century Link should be trusted, just like the Verizon wild fires thing did.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

Suffice to say this is going to make all the emergency managers question if Century Link should be trusted, just like the Verizon wild fires thing did.

Pretty sure the correct answer to that is "Hahahaha gently caress no, of course they can't be trusted."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Relentless posted:

Pretty sure the correct answer to that is "Hahahaha gently caress no, of course they can't be trusted."

Traditionally, copper phone companies are highly reliable in government estimation, but the fact that this happened under a no stress condition colors things a bit differently.

"What happens when peoples lives depend on this and you were more worried about if you're turning a profit this quarter?"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Literally just called and cancelled my CenturyLink internet service yesterday afternoon. :tinfoil: this was my fault

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

DrNutt posted:

Literally just called and cancelled my CenturyLink internet service yesterday afternoon. :tinfoil: this was my fault

Don't worry, it was a problem all day

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I got the alert in Gladstone OR.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The 911 alert went out right around when CenturyLink was done fixing the clusterfuck that was their service yesterday. I think the fix took it down.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Ajit Pai has threatened to launch an investigation into the outage. It's nice to have such a consumer focused chai-ahahahahahahahahaha

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Fiber service was flawless though :stoked:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I have Centurylink for my home internet and phone and the service has always been flawless including yesterday and while I know it's not as easy as pushing a button I'd rather they kill my netflix for a bit to keep emergency services running.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

1glitch0 posted:

I have Centurylink for my home internet and phone and the service has always been flawless including yesterday and while I know it's not as easy as pushing a button I'd rather they kill my netflix for a bit to keep emergency services running.

Ah, that’s their premium package add-on, only another $27.99 per month

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

1glitch0 posted:

If they kill Netflix it puts undue strain on the system from people calling 911.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Shifty Nipples posted:

I got the alert in Gladstone OR.

I got two alerts in Portland. Nothing better than waking up, twice, to an emergency alert for the next state over while trying to drug yourself through the end of a terrible cold.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Jay Inslee wants to run for president.

I don't think he'll get much traction, his main platform will be fighting climate change.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't think he'll get much traction, his main platform will be fighting climate change.

My main issue is climate change and Inslee hasn't done much to upset me but he's literally a politician "that exists". There is nothing notable about him at all.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

1glitch0 posted:

My main issue is climate change and Inslee hasn't done much to upset me but he's literally a politician "that exists". There is nothing notable about him at all.

In a world where people like Cory Booker and Elizabeth Warren think they have a shot at the white house merely existing might be an upgrade.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

1glitch0 posted:

At least his priorities are in the right place.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Matching the unrestrained charisma of Lincoln Chaffee with the unstoppable platform of Al Gore will surely win over the rust belt.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Pander posted:

Matching the unrestrained charisma of Lincoln Chaffee with the unstoppable platform of Al Gore will surely win over the rust belt.

Never underestimate the power of a mediocre white guy.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Relentless posted:

Better than Biden.

Not that he excites me but if I'm choosing between it's Inslee by a long shot.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Relentless posted:

This is what I’ve told every woman I’ve been with.

I don’t know why they all laughed.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

1glitch0 posted:

Seriously, he's so goddamn boring. I have more charisma than he does and I'm one hell of a goon.

I watched his interview on MSNBC last night, and then Elizabeth Warren's interview in the following hour. She's going to inspire a whole bunch of people. Who is Inslee gonna inspire? He's not wrong to use the climate as his primary campaign point, but that's absolutely not going to be enough to get people excited. How loving sad is that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Inslee isn't bad. Hes just not exciting. Personally think he would be good as a cabinet member or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

How about head of the EPA?