Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Somebody in the trump thread linked reality winners Instagram and I was like holy hell she's got some big time definition and then I scrolled down and saw lentils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Reality Winner is a model for us all, both physical and praxis

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Eat a lentil be strong poo poo strong

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Did somebody say Lentils!?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

jarofpiss posted:

i wear wrist wraps when i squat or press

i wear an elbow sleeve sometimes when i pull (always pull with a thumbless grip unless im doing deadlifts) because it helps with the golfers elbow tendonitis

Yeah my trainer told me a while back to get wraps but I've been too lazy, maybe I'll buy myself a late Christmas present after vacation. Just wondering if there was a stretch or wrist exercise I could do to strengthen that area.

C-Euro has issued a correction as of 09:42 on Dec 24, 2018

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

C-Euro posted:

Yeah my trainer told me a while back to get straps but I've been too lazy, maybe I'll buy myself a late Christmas present after vacation. Just wondering if there was a stretch or wrist exercise I could do to strengthen that area.

Cliiiiiiimbing

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

having skimmed this thread i'm getting the impression that i have no idea what i'm doing in the gym

i mean. i have gotten by. i did cursory research, looked at the standard lifting routines, learned from ~*~my boyfriend~*~, but i probably shouldn't be left to my own devices when deciding what it is i'm gonna work on for any given day or moment

i now understand why it is that people employ trainers

e: "what's a floor press" -me reading this thread

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

juche avocado posted:

having skimmed this thread i'm getting the impression that i have no idea what i'm doing in the gym

i mean. i have gotten by. i did cursory research, looked at the standard lifting routines, learned from ~*~my boyfriend~*~, but i probably shouldn't be left to my own devices when deciding what it is i'm gonna work on for any given day or moment

i now understand why it is that people employ trainers

e: "what's a floor press" -me reading this thread

don't worry too much about your exercise plan if you're not super into lifting (yet). in my experience, new lifters tend to go way overboard with overtraining when trying to do everything by some super detailed 5-day split. i've always gotten the most overall gains from doing a really simple 3-day split of just push/legs/pull or something like that. focusing on individual muscle groups is most helpful once you've hit a plateau or are interested in actual bodybuilding. starting strength is a pretty good program for lifters that don't know what the hell they're doing, or you can try joe defranco's westside for skinny bastards if you want something with a little more meat to it. you can find both of these online for free.

if you need to know what a particular lift is or how to do it, exrx.net is a really useful resource.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
you gotta EAT to get gains though, and no weight training program is gonna do that for you, keep in mind

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Muscle Wizard posted:

you gotta EAT to get gains though, and no weight training program is gonna do that for you, keep in mind

gotta not be in weed withdrawal doldrums to have an appetite f*ck

been at this for just over a year and i now Have Muscles. it's pretty okay.

and then i realize that i completely ignored the muscles involved in.... um..... if you were to do jumping jacks but with weights in your hands? those muscles. so it leads me to believe i'm forgetting about others (do people actually do thigh extensions lmao)

edit: I'm probably not describing the muscle group i mean to describe. w/e.

juche avocado has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Dec 23, 2018

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

wow this is not the trump thread

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

juche avocado posted:

gotta not be in weed withdrawal doldrums to have an appetite f*ck

been at this for just over a year and i now Have Muscles. it's pretty okay.

and then i realize that i completely ignored the muscles involved in.... um..... if you were to do jumping jacks but with weights in your hands? those muscles. so it leads me to believe i'm forgetting about others (do people actually do thigh extensions lmao)

edit: I'm probably not describing the muscle group i mean to describe. w/e.

quad extensions are good if you want to build bigger quads

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Yeah my trainer told me a while back to get straps but I've been too lazy, maybe I'll buy myself a late Christmas present after vacation. Just wondering if there was a stretch or wrist exercise I could do to strengthen that area.

straps and wraps are different things. i think the wrist is mostly ligaments and tendons and doing grip work might help strengthen them? try opening and closing your fists in a bucket of sand

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

:wtf:

I just spent the last week at my parents, not going to the gym and eating complete garbage.

I just got home and before bed was like "well better see what the damage is"

Step on the scale... down 4.6 lbs from when I left

:psyduck: I have no idea

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

jarofpiss posted:

straps and wraps are different things. i think the wrist is mostly ligaments and tendons and doing grip work might help strengthen them? try opening and closing your fists in a bucket of sand

Oh whoops I meant to say wraps, I'm pretty sure that's what he said. He sent me some to buy but the link is back home so I'll have to check it out next week.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

TheDon01 posted:

:wtf:

I just spent the last week at my parents, not going to the gym and eating complete garbage.

I just got home and before bed was like "well better see what the damage is"

Step on the scale... down 4.6 lbs from when I left

:psyduck: I have no idea

maybe dehydrated. i always get dehydrated from traveling because i only drink booze and never get any water in me. dont worry you probably still got fatter even if you lost weight!

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

quad extensions are good if you want to build bigger quads

that's where my body puts literally all my fat so idk why I'd want that tbf

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
get those thicc legs

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Been working out since about July with my GF using one of the old goon bodybuilding routines it's pretty great but I miss deadlifts. I'm now pretty good looking though apart from my belly. I'm basically shredded but with a pot belly lol

I used to be stronger back when I worked out for real but I got into running too ATM and can now run basically indefinitely at a slow speed so that owns

Get fit, goons

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Been working out since about July with my GF using one of the old goon bodybuilding routines it's pretty great but I miss deadlifts. I'm now pretty good looking though apart from my belly. I'm basically shredded but with a pot belly lol

I used to be stronger back when I worked out for real but I got into running too ATM and can now run basically indefinitely at a slow speed so that owns

Get fit, goons

ATM == rear end To Mouth?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Hentai Jihadist posted:

can now run basically indefinitely at a slow speed so that owns

As a lifelong cardio-ignorer, this sounds delightful.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Spent the last several days doing the holidays normal of eating a lot and not exercising beyond that required to haul in more wood from my parent's barn to keep the stoves burning, and now that I'm home I got a good twelve miler in this morning. I suspect my legs will have something to say about it tomorrow.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

ok new year time to get your poo poo together. no more cakes and pies and now only chicken, rice, and broccoli until june. also i expect everyone to do 2 a days 6 days a week, you all went to poo poo over the holidays and now it's time to live right/.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

ok new year time to get your poo poo together. no more cakes and pies and now only chicken, rice, and broccoli until june. also i expect everyone to do 2 a days 6 days a week, you all went to poo poo over the holidays and now it's time to live right/.

my current plan is Sunday thru Friday but with TW "off"* because my lifting buddy this semester can only make Sunday and Friday sessions with me

Still 5/3/1 obviously

My diet will be tracked carefully but not any kind of specific macro...IF unless it turns out to not work out in which case I'll do that one that varies by workout days and non-workout days whose name I forget

*off here means I do cardio or some dumb bullshit instead because if I don't go to the gym I'm just gonna get drunk and post TRTRUEMEEP in The Superior Thread

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i ate like poo poo and haven't gone to the gym all holiday season but i stayed the same weight from going to very cold mountains and walking around every week or so. first time back is still gonna be rough that's what i get

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i ate like poo poo and haven't gone to the gym all holiday season but i stayed the same weight from going to very cold mountains and walking around every week or so. first time back is still gonna be rough that's what i get

lifehack: when you walk around in the very cold mountains, do so totally naked to burn more calories

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Accretionist posted:

As a lifelong cardio-ignorer, this sounds delightful.

it doesn't take very long. both times iv got into running i've just done Couch to 5K and skipped through parts of the program as necessary. Seems to take about 5 weeks instead of 9 if you're a healthy non-old. theres a pretty good app now that just plays over the top of podcasts/music

its a pretty fun progression from not being able to run for 1 minute without running out of breath (seriously, I thought i was gonna die from the stitch) to running for 2 hours without losing your breath and it happens pretty much all of a sudden compared to the time you have to invest for major weightlifting milestones.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

lifehack: when you walk around in the very cold mountains, do so totally naked to burn more calories

back home where there was a big lake to run around, when it was snowing I'd take most of my clothes off and run around the lake at night so I would steam like a goku
as soon as i did that i ran into 2 old ladies walking their dogs and I lapped them again before I reached my clothes

my current fitness issue is me and the gf have been on keto for ages and made good but slow progress but I only just started calorie counting and Yeeeeep thats the problem... reckon I was feeding us 4000 calories a day easy. that we lost any weight at all is testament to how hard we were working out at least, hopefully now we can cut down to like 2000-2500 and the bellies will vanish almost immediately.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Thank christ my gym's holiday breaks are over. Back to squatting :tutbutt:

Epic High Five posted:

When I was still living in snowy places I used to go to the gym in workout shorts in 20-degree weather. It actually felt kinda nice.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
January crowds at the climbing gym. :negative:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pancakes posted:

Literally the only time I've seen the rowing machines (preciousssssss) fully taken wtf

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Pancakes posted:

go to a small bodybuilding or powerlifting gym

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Pancakes posted:

Stop walking under me ya dummies!!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
This is gonna be the year of the sub 40 10k I feel it

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

i put the snow in my rear end so my body has to work extra hard to not get internal frostbite

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

what are thesr units i dont do metric/cardio

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Sup 10k goals buddy. Ran 40:09 in a race last August on not my best day so I have a good feeling for this year (if I actually stay diligent in my training).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hentai Jihadist posted:

back home where there was a big lake to run around, when it was snowing I'd take most of my clothes off and run around the lake at night so I would steam like a goku
as soon as i did that i ran into 2 old ladies walking their dogs and I lapped them again before I reached my clothes

A few years ago I was part of a relay team for the Burlington City Marathon, which happen Memorial Day weekend. The weather is always a crap shoot, give that it's northern VT and that particular year it was a windy, rainy 50 degrees out. By happenstance my leg of the relay ended with a long-ish stretch uphill on battery st. and since I'd only run six miles or so and I was still riding the runners high like mad I did it in a dead sprint. After handing off the token to the next runner, I did the cool-down walk around battery park, and was literally steaming.

Pancakes posted:

This past week there were a bunch of bros I've never seen before, bro'ing it up at my gym and hogging the squat racks (while doing remarkably few actual squats or anything else). I suspect they'll be gone in a week or so, never to be seen again.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the only 10k I wanna see this year is the DJIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

That reminds me: anyone in/around the northeast who wants to do a fun as hell 15k set against a backdrop of industrial decay and urban abandonment would be well advised to sign up for the Utica Boilermaker, registration for which opens in early March. I've done it most years since 2010 and it's my favorite race to run (and not just because there's all-you-can-drink free Saranac beer for runners at the after party).