Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
trophies do not have anywhere near the terrible power that Xbox achievements do, that point value exerts a sinister influence on the mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Relax Or DIE posted:

Here's a question for y'all - what's the closest you've been to 100%/platinum in a game before giving up?

For me, it was Dark Souls 2. All I had left was two or three achievements, both for having all spells of a specific type, and I was only missing one spell each. All of then required either a ton of PvP or playing deep into new game++, and with Bloodborne about to release I ended up bailing. I liked PvP in DS2 so I wouldn't have minded, but I believe one of the spells required you to get X number of points in a dueling arena, which you could lose if you lost, and I'm way not into big grinds that you can lose progress on.

Persona 4 Golden, all I need to do is max out every S-Link in a single run to get it, but it's so long. :effort:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It makes me madder when a game has a seemingly achievable trophy list only to discover that 1-2 achievements are absolute bullshit rather than just all being very obviously bullshit from the beginning.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I don't usually bother with plats either, but I got hit with the combo of loving ds2 and being super hype for bloodborne

I kept considering doing it for Doom 2016 but never got around to it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

trophies do not have anywhere near the terrible power that Xbox achievements do, that point value exerts a sinister influence on the mind

can you redeem the points for something? i know when ubisoft was trying to get their uplay thing off they ground you could like, get extra skins for characters and a desktop background and stuff like that

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Relax Or DIE posted:

I don't usually bother with plats either, but I got hit with the combo of loving ds2 and being super hype for bloodborne

I kept considering doing it for Doom 2016 but never got around to it

Doom 2016 has some of my least favorite flavor of cheeves which are ones that make you play the undercooked multiplayer that you would have otherwise never touched.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Since we're on the subject of Trophies/achievement I just want to say Nier: Automata was my favorite game to platinum.

because I bought all the trophies

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
^^^^^^^^^ I didn't bother doing that before I cleared ending E and uninstalled the game, so it'll be unfinished forever. Seems to fit the theme, really.

Cowcaster posted:

can you redeem the points for something? i know when ubisoft was trying to get their uplay thing off they ground you could like, get extra skins for characters and a desktop background and stuff like that

Not really. If you had a LOT of points maybe you could get a pitiful amount of store credit.

The point values also let devs troll the OCD with numbers that didn't end with 0 or 5. The only way to get back to a nice round score would be to 100% the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Electric Phantasm posted:

Poochy Ain't Stupid

:hai:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah I never really bother with plats either. Only got two. FF15 and HZD.

I'm close with p much all the Souls games but they all have one that is just too tedious/grindy/rng based.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

MMF Freeway posted:

Doom 2016 has some of my least favorite flavor of cheeves which are ones that make you play the undercooked multiplayer that you would have otherwise never touched.

Ugh, yeah. I have every single trophy from TR2013 except for the MP ones because gently caress that.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah I think that's part of why I never did it

Also I am lazy and shiftless

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

The point values also let devs troll the OCD with numbers that didn't end with 0 or 5. The only way to get back to a nice round score would be to 100% the game.

i wake every morning and whisper semper games to the god of gaming in thanks that while i have dozens of species of brain worms that live in my skull, this is not one of them. it wouldn't even register to me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yearly editions of sports games with multiplayer-required cheevos....

Platinums lost like tears in rain

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Usually it's a matter of me getting to the end of the game and realizing I only have to do these couple of things to get it so I may as well (or liking a game enough that I want to do the obscure stuff), I almost never go into a game thinking I'm going to get them all. Consequently most of my platinums are for ports of old games I already know super well and love.

exquisite tea posted:

It makes me madder when a game has a seemingly achievable trophy list only to discover that 1-2 achievements are absolute bullshit rather than just all being very obviously bullshit from the beginning.

In my case this was getting to the end of Tales of Xillia and realizing I was 1 sidequest short of getting a trophy, and I had done all the ones left that I hadn't missed so I'd have to play the game again (and then again after that for other trophies).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was going to try to Platinum Knack 1 until I saw that the game required anywhere from 2 to 4 full playthroughs depending on what you rolled when you opened chests.

Luckily they made the Knack 2 Platinum requirements less onerous

Edit: I just looked it up and general consensus for the Knack 1 platinum is 4 playthroughs minimum, apologies for the misinformation

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 3, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
On the topic of cheevos/trophies, what's the most bullshit cheevo you've ever seen?

Besides the obvious ones of high MP grinds for games with dead multiplayer the '7 Day Survivor' for Dead Rising comes to mind for me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

On the topic of cheevos/trophies, what's the most bullshit cheevo you've ever seen?

Besides the obvious ones of high MP grinds for games with dead multiplayer the '7 Day Survivor' for Dead Rising comes to mind for me.

Clearing All-Star mode with every character in Smash 4, thankfully you can hammer it and not worry about it, unfortunately I used all my hammers in something else.

Everyone misses the real All-Star mode, but there is way too many characters for that poo poo now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Insane in the Membrane achievement in WoW.

It requires you to raise your reputation to Exalted with a number of very specific minor factions, some of which you begin at Unfriendly or Hated, that typically only have one repeatable quest that award like 250 rep per turn-in out of the ~30,000 or so you need.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

same

also never broke all the training dummies in Horizon

usually i'm content just filling out 50% of a trophy list at the minimum, assuming none of them involve multiplayer

This is me, I am usually between 25% - 50% of achievements completed. The thing I realized a long time ago is that no one cares about other people's achievements unless you have an extremely impressive list. Such as the person with 2 million points on Xbox. Despite that super silly Xbox 360 ad from years and years ago.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the original assassin's creed with hundreds (thousands?) of collectible flags that aren't marked on your map and provide no benefits other than the achivements themselves for collecting them all comes to mind

May 8, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

The Insane in the Membrane achievement in WoW.

It requires you to raise your reputation to Exalted with a number of very specific minor factions, some of which you begin at Unfriendly or Hated, that typically only have one repeatable quest that award like 250 rep per turn-in out of the ~30,000 or so you need.

Mine is fat less actively hateful but the collect X mounts achievement, where it only counts the mounts that any given character can currentl ride. So you can hit the requirement but not get the unlock because no individual can ride all the mounts. It's minor but it's such petty bean-county bullshit to keep a reward out of your hands for just that much longer.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rarity posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, easily wins it for me. You have to beat the game on the highest difficulty, and the highest difficulty is a “one shot, you die” mode and there’s no saves.

It’s like I can feel the dev’s laughing at anybody even willing to attempt it. It struck me as weird because the first game was so much nicer about it’s plat requirements which actually made me play the different scenarios to see everything. Just another example of them dropping the ball on the sequel.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cowcaster posted:

the original assassin's creed with hundreds (thousands?) of collectible flags that aren't marked on your map and provide no benefits other than the achivements themselves for collecting them all comes to mind

I used a map to find all of those

Then it turned out I was missing one and I couldn't work which one it was :negative:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh yeah that reminds me of the mode in dead space 2 i think where you couldn't save and had to beat the game in one life on the hardest difficulty where a lot of enemies could just straight up instagib you with surprise attacks and a glut of quick time events you could fail. beating it got you a foam finger gun that isaac would point and make pew pew noises, that would instagib enemies and have unlimited ammo, but after you've done the thing to unlock it what's the loving point?

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 3, 2019

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Relax Or DIE posted:

Here's a question for y'all - what's the closest you've been to 100%/platinum in a game before giving up?

For me, it was Dark Souls 2. All I had left was two or three achievements, both for having all spells of a specific type, and I was only missing one spell each. All of then required either a ton of PvP or playing deep into new game++, and with Bloodborne about to release I ended up bailing. I liked PvP in DS2 so I wouldn't have minded, but I believe one of the spells required you to get X number of points in a dueling arena, which you could lose if you lost, and I'm way not into big grinds that you can lose progress on.

Right now it's asscreed Odyssey. Went into it planning to do everything.. 80 hours in and it feels like I still have a third of the game left and I'm exhausted and want to do something else. I may still finish it because I'm playing it through project stream and I lose all my progress on the 15th when the beta ends, but it's stopped being white as fun as it was too start.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if you guys would just not decide to 100% everything you'd probably have a lot more fun with things...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Odyssey has a pretty easy trophy list for a game of its size, I got almost everything just by finishing the story and only had to go back for a couple underwater locations.

I think all Project Stream beta users can get the game for free now, too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

if you guys would just not decide to 100% everything you'd probably have a lot more fun with things...

Odyssey has a wonky leveling system that pretty much forces you to. :/ I just want to do the story campaign and then go back for the side content.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The only game I Platted was Spider-Man because it was a joy to play and also extremely easy to get.

Rarity posted:

90% of the trophies in The Last Guardian, its like they wanted people who tried it to hate the game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's funny to think that when Last Guardian started development, trophies didn't even exist yet on PlayStation 3.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

One of the reasons I still love Wii (and GC) games is the lack of dumb achievements, XP meters, patches and DLC. Buy a game, stick it in the disc drive and it's ready to go, also over 3/4 of my games have local multiplayer.

Recently picked up a bunch of lightgun games pretty cheap and having a blast. Ghost Squad in particular is loving great

Side note: I love how you would expect a SWAT game called Ghost Squad to be about stealth and silent takedowns, but in reality it's because they literally kill everybody in sight with enormous guns leaving no witnesses :black101:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was talking about something similar to that in the last thread. Game design now is all about shoe horning in carrots on a stick to keep people playing. The thing is that none of these mechanics actually add any value to games, and certainly don't make them enjoyable. I really want to see games get away from progress bars, stat tracking, and achievements. Maybe next gen. :/ Just play your games for the sake of playing them!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yearly editions of sports games with multiplayer-required cheevos....

Platinums lost like tears in rain

I'm reminded of I think an NBA game that required you to be online at the same time with 1 million concurrent players. It was something ridiculous. No one has it, I believe.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pvp ones have been brought up and even dark souls 2's pvp ones in particular, but i just refreshed my memory on how bullshit it was: in order to get the all pyromancies trophy you need to get one from the pvp covenant. this pyromancy is received when you max out the covenants rank by earning points:

-Winning an arena battle (+1 point).
-Killing a blue phantom while invading (+2 points). Please note that this is not "kill a host while invading", or "kill host's summoned co-op phantoms". This is kill a phantom who may or may not be automatically called in to help the the person you are invading.

Losing an arena battle loses you 1 point. You need 500 points to get the pyromancy, and nowhere in the game can you look up what your current score is, you'll have to keep track of it yourself. Good luck!

(you can also beat the entire game twice, and then run through a 3rd time all the way up to where you find the pvp covenant and buy the spell, but it's the principle of the thing).

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 3, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I have like three cheeves left in Assassin's Creed Origins, but the one for clearing every giant scorpion lair failed to pop so I can't 100% it without starting over.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I said come in! posted:

It's funny to think that when Last Guardian started development, trophies didn't even exist yet on PlayStation 3.

Last Guardian is interesting in how obtuse its trophies are. I don't think there are any auto-unlocks and I may have gotten two total by the end of the game. They actually feel like achievements, like someone working on the game didn't get the memo that cheevos are supposed to stupid and easy to trick people into playing longer to measure their epeen.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Messenger was fantastic right up until the metroidvania swap, still great for a while after that, but as of finishing the new green river area with the french? name and getting to 4 of 9 notes I think I'm done

The dialogue and other writing fell entirely off a cliff and vanished at the same time as the metroidvania transition, which IMO is a major loss; there are nothing like enough quick travel points; and combat/platforming evolution, controlled at the pace of a linear platformer before, has slowed to nothing, and the gameplay has stagnated as a result

The game kinda stopped being interesting in other words. I might still finish it but god drat my "want-to-play" list is still long

I don't regret buying it but drat what a disappointment to run out of gas there :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm really enjoying Earthbound and I recommend it to everyone.