Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

KickerOfMice posted:

I love the phrase "presidential harassment," as if no other president has ever faced any sort of criticism. Not only are you an incompetent, selfish, lying rear end in a top hat, you are the most public figure on the entire planet.

media plays into it, too. Cillizza had a take yesterday about "tomorrow, everything changes. the democrats can use their power to do real political damage to the president". as if using oversight power to ferret out his many crimes is just politics. the framing of every single thing about him is so insane. he's so corrupt it bends reality like a black hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

:allears:

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1080834215762108417

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Preemptive post: do not look at your 401k. Do not change your contribution to your 401k. DO NOT TAKE MONEY OUT OF YOUR 401K.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

exploded mummy posted:

that's a shelbyville idea

Probably got distracted by someone's attractive cousin.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/economics/status/1080846692889571328

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Putting my name in quotes to own myself.

It will be a relief once the lunatics are out and the country is no longer at the mercy of a handful of ghouls in the Senate.

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/1080812765714006016

ed whelan is the president of the ethics and public policy center.

and why the gently caress is wapo publishing this trash.

Is there a Donald Trump doppelganger, and does he have a goatee?

thegalagakid posted:

Rashida Tlaib on Channel 7 here in Detroit. Pretty cool about Jefferson's own Koran.

Interestingly, Jefferson's Bible is blasphemous (he removed all supernatural elements from the New Testament.)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Tibalt posted:

Preemptive post: do not look at your 401k. Do not change your contribution to your 401k. DO NOT TAKE MONEY OUT OF YOUR 401K.

I can't imagine anyone with any amount of money in a 401k would be stupid enough to try to pull out now and take the ridiculous hit, but I concur.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Tibalt posted:

Increase your contribution, everything is on sale!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I dunno about the first pic, but it looks like Kirk’s about to learn how to do Fus-Ro-Dah in the second one :v:

E: Oh, and Bill Shatner? Also hella racist and has been since the 80s.

Shatner was the only white male main cast member who didn't collectively bargain with the network to get Nichelle Nichols and George Takei pay raises iirc

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I can't imagine anyone with any amount of money in a 401k would be stupid enough to try to pull out now and take the ridiculous hit, but I concur.

You underestimate them

selec
Sep 6, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Look who is president and tell me what you can’t imagine

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Tibalt posted:

If anything, shouldn't one increase contributions if the market tanks? (Ideally at the low point)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

selec posted:

Look who is president and tell me what you can’t imagine

I can't imagine a worse president

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

Yeah, and in spite of what a soulless demon he is, I feel like his apparent solidarity with Trump is actually him giving Trump more rope with which to yang himself.

No one is blaming the GOP for the shutdown because Trump keeps blowing up deals and claiming credit for it, so it looks like Turtle is prepping to set up Trump to both take the blame for an extended shutdown OR folding on wall funding, so his chud base can’t point to a veto override as treason against their master.

This is my thought as well. McConnell isn't necessarily falling in line for Trump as much as he's letting Trump own the whole drat thing. If/When the House puts forward a clean CR and the polling supports it Turtle will put it to a vote in a heartbeat. The reality of it is that even his own party has no idea if Trump will actually veto. Trump could sign a clean CR the second it hits his desk OR he could veto a renegotiated deal just because after saying he would sign it.

Not to mention the real possibility his whole veto threat could ultimately be toothless with a possible veto-proof bill passing both houses(Clean CR could get quite a few R votes in the House, and Schumer will back whatever Pelosi's play is.).

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ummel posted:

If anything, shouldn't one increase contributions if the market tanks? (Ideally at the low point)

Could you call your financial advisior and change your plan to hopefully minimize losses? I know nothing about finance.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Your Taint posted:

Could you call your financial advisior and change your plan to hopefully minimize losses? I know nothing about finance.

What losses? No, that's not how this works

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Your Taint posted:

The problem is you are following the market that's already moving, and you are slower than the computers that are doing buy/sell in fractions of a second. You can't hope to take advantage of any real moves, and chances are that you will do more damage by moving it back and forth.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

when pressed in private Wednesday by Democrats asking why he wouldn’t end the shutdown, he responded at one point, “I would look foolish if I did that.” A White House official, one of two people who described that exchange only on condition of anonymity, said the president had been trying to explain that it would be foolish not to pay for border security.

I poo poo MYSELF ON PURPOSE.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Your Taint posted:

A lot of 401ks let you use a web interface, and you can allocate to more secure investments like bonds instead of stocks. Less returns, but less risk. I believe you'd be about a year too late at this point though. (I'm not smart at finance so grain of salt, etc)

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Your Taint posted:

If you KNEW that the market is going to bottom out even more you would sell your shares now, then buy the shares when you think they are cheapest.

But this is terrible advice because no one, not even the professionals, have any idea what the stock market is going to do in the short term. Even long-term trends are somewhat unreliable.

Basically the best advice is ride it out, keep buying more shares if you can afford to, and as you get older shift to more bonds so a cratering stock market doesn't affect your nest egg nearly as much.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/1080840246651219970

https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/1080848358862925824

Strongly agree with this.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Your Taint posted:

Like I said: trade wars are good and easy to win.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1080845553829888000

"WHY ARE YOU CHEERING FOR OUR COUNTRY'S FAILURE? ITS NOT TRUMP'S FAULT, APPLE JUST DOESN'T MAKE AN INNOVATIVE NEW CELLPHONE SINCE THE 5. NO TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY REALLY INNOVATES ON THE CELL PHONE BECAUSE HOW INNOVATIVE CAN YOU MAKE CALLING, TEXTING OR LOOKING AT EMAIL? CHARGING $1000s FOR A NEW UPGRADE EVERY YEAR IS JUST GREED."

Turning on Capitalism at the drop of the hat if it means this is either the market or trump's fault.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Your Taint posted:

That would generally involve selling (which is when losses or gains are realized), because you’d need to liquidate assets to purchase others. You could alter what you’re buying, but seriously unless you don’t need to save for retirement just keep buying a Vanguard target fund and ignore it.

If one of those target funds literally fails, having money for retirement will be the least of your worries as society would probably be collapsing.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Right now is a perfect time to buy appl stocks :smug: Everything’s fine

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
When we’re saying “take your money out”, we mean “cashing the 401(k) into a normal banking account and no longer in the IRA or 401(k), resulting in a taxable income impact”, right? Because why the gently caress would anyone do that if you can store your investments in a money market account in the IRA or 401(k) in the first place?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

tecnocrat posted:

The problem is you are following the market that's already moving, and you are slower than the computers that are doing buy/sell in fractions of a second. You can't hope to take advantage of any real moves, and chances are that you will do more damage by moving it back and forth.

Yeah I get that, but I'm not talking just *today* but long-term. If the market is going to tank, and by all indications there's a fair chance, wouldn't you want to move things around to minimize losses and keep them there for a while?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ripoff posted:

When we’re saying “take your money out”, we mean “cashing the 401(k) into a normal banking account and no longer in the IRA or 401(k), resulting in a taxable income impact”, right? Because why the gently caress would anyone do that if you can store your investments in a money market account in the IRA or 401(k) in the first place?

People dumb. If their investment balance is down 30% they better cash it out before it drops to 50% right?

They don’t take the next logical step and ask when they would buy back in that would be better than just leaving it.

Your Taint posted:

Yeah I get that, but I'm not talking just *today* but long-term. If the market is going to tank, and by all indications there's a fair chance, wouldn't you want to move things around to minimize losses and keep them there for a while?

There are no losses until you sell. If you believe your investments will rebound before you need the money, it would be stupid to take those losses by selling.

If you are imminently retiring, your cost basis should be low enough that recent market declines shouldn’t really hurt you. If you’re far away from retirement but don’t believe the market will rebound and expand by your retirement, and you don’t think you’ll be able to make additional contributions, I guess knock yourself out because you’ve lost all hope anyway! Take that money and go buy a bitchin’ IROC Z Camaro and some Bulgari watches from Macy’s.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 3, 2019

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1080784843590516736

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

I can't imagine a worse president

I have such things to show you.

FWIW, GW Bush is still a worse President in my book.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

I do as well, but how does a senator/rep "bypass corporate media?" The 24-hour networks , and the big three broadcast ones will be all over you like white on rice, no matter if you declare war on white Christian grandmothers, or unintentionally utter a swear word in from of a camera.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I’m sure this time the republicans will do more than crush the Democrat’s hands for reaching across the aisle

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MikeDorning/status/1080850171418816513

Dow down 650 points as of this post.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
:siren:Don't try to time the market. You can't.:siren:

This includes things like buying/selling stocks, changing your portfolio distribution, etc.

Just let it sit there. You'll most likely be fine in the long run.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It would have been so, so much better for McCaskill, Heitkamp, and Donnelly to have won but no one's sad to see those wall-lovers go. If that makes sense. Nelson was okay I guess.

Orrin Hatch, Bob Corker, Jeff Flake, Dean Heller, and Jon Kyl :getout:

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 3, 2019

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
Deleted tweet. Never mind.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

enraged_camel posted:

This includes things like buying/selling stocks, changing your portfolio distribution, etc.

Yeah, you're probably right. lol I'm never gonna be able to retire anyway.

Work til you die woo!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Crabtree posted:

"WHY ARE YOU CHEERING FOR OUR COUNTRY'S FAILURE? ITS NOT TRUMP'S FAULT, APPLE JUST DOESN'T MAKE AN INNOVATIVE NEW CELLPHONE SINCE THE 5. NO TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY REALLY INNOVATES ON THE CELL PHONE BECAUSE HOW INNOVATIVE CAN YOU MAKE CALLING, TEXTING OR LOOKING AT EMAIL? CHARGING $1000s FOR A NEW UPGRADE EVERY YEAR IS JUST GREED."

Turning on Capitalism at the drop of the hat if it means this is either the market or trump's fault.

This is something I love (hate) watching: people so fixated on hero worship and/or their own selfish fetishes that any lip service they've ever paid to any particular political philosophy goes right out the window.

Chud guy I know is a huge gearhead and constantly shouts at other drivers on the road as he blasts past them at 120 mph. WHY CAN'T ANYONE ELSE DRIVE. WHY DOES NOBODY BUY INTERESTING CARS AND LEARN HOW THEY WORK. WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE A PRIUS???!!

Me: That's what the market wants.

Him: gently caress THE MARKET

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

swampface posted:

Increase your contribution, everything is on sale!

Is this true of my Roth IRA too, help I know literally nothing about investment

Pelosi gonna spout whatever platitudes she will spout but who cares until legislation starts

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, either you'll be fine or we'll all be eating our shoes next year, so sit tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you acknowledge you know nothing about finance do not make financial decisions without the advice of those who do and who are familiar with your personal situation