Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

loving owned lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

interesting development at cuomo's speech to open his third term: heastie and stewart-cousins were both invited to attend but neither of them showed up. the start of the session should be fun to watch

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

he's a leftie but also a contrarian, basically like Anna from Red Scare. also he thinks NJ is so much better politically than NY. i've given up trying to convince him that it's a lateral move at best

Anna is just Fash dude

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yesssss another thread to argue about pod casts!!!!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

looks like Cuomo needed an approval boost, he just announced that the L train is no longer shutting down

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

looks like Cuomo needed an approval boost, he just announced that the L train is no longer shutting down

If that was his goal it seems to be a complete failure as everyone is now making GBS threads on him for trashing all the preparations they've been making.

haveblue has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Jan 3, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

no way! what a loving mess.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

this is a truly spectacular self-own there is no one who will be happy about this after extensive planning, real estate reevaluation, and community legal action has been taken in opposition lmao he might be the dumbest fucker alive

we all knew that but hey

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

update: republicans also told Felder to eat poo poo. karma usually doesn't happen but when it does, it's so sweet

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this is a truly spectacular self-own there is no one who will be happy about this after extensive planning, real estate reevaluation, and community legal action has been taken in opposition lmao he might be the dumbest fucker alive

we all knew that but hey
what cuomo deserves is for state- and NYC-based media to pounce on his every misstep just like they do with de blasio

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How long before local Board of Education officials get soiled diapers thrown at them for daring to try and inspect Yeshiva curricula?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The IDC getting destroyed was one of the few feel good moments of 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

etalian posted:

The IDC getting destroyed was one of the few feel good moments of 2018

Felder is somehow even more mercenary than the IDC (he turned his coat separately and kept the chamber Republican-controlled even when the IDC folks rejoined), so it's doubly cathartic.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How long before local Board of Education officials get soiled diapers thrown at them for daring to try and inspect Yeshiva curricula?
i was going to link this transcript of a Satmar rabbi's speech put up on Medium because i wasn't sure if i saw it here or somewhere else. not only was it linked here before, you were the one who posted the tweet that contained the Medium link :v:

since they're already making GBS threads their diapers about the prospect of this happening, it's going to be louder and more vicious when/if it actually comes to pass, and if the Legislature wants to get it done, the only Dem resistance will come from Joe Lentol, Felder, and possibly Dov Hikind's successor Simcha Eisenstein (he's far better politically than the guy he replaced, but he's still from the community). one line of attack to keep an eye out for: the pro-yeshiva crowd likes to crow about how their education better prepares students for a career than the public school system. i've seen numerous people say this in the comments on some of Flatbush Girl's instagram pics. it's probably cherry picked data

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

i was going to link this transcript of a Satmar rabbi's speech put up on Medium because i wasn't sure if i saw it here or somewhere else. not only was it linked here before, you were the one who posted the tweet that contained the Medium link :v:

Here, have some newer bullshit from a City Council rep:

https://twitter.com/KalmanYegerNYC/status/1078010563496759296

quote:

since they're already making GBS threads their diapers about the prospect of this happening, it's going to be louder and more vicious when/if it actually comes to pass, and if the Legislature wants to get it done, the only Dem resistance will come from Joe Lentol, Felder, and possibly Dov Hikind's successor Simcha Eisenstein (he's far better politically than the guy he replaced, but he's still from the community). one line of attack to keep an eye out for: the pro-yeshiva crowd likes to crow about how their education better prepares students for a career than the public school system. i've seen numerous people say this in the comments on some of Flatbush Girl's instagram pics. it's probably cherry picked data

The various ex-Satmars and ex-Frum folks better start getting noisy, then. I wasn't kidding about the soiled diapers, that's how the Frum communities in Israel react to the state attempting to enforce any kind of secular standards in their schools.

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Jan 5, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wasn't kidding about the soiled diapers, that's how the Frum communities in Israel react to the state attempting to enforce any kind of secular standards in their schools.
i'm so used to seeing metaphors about how people act like babies when they don't get their way that the thought of people literally doing that never crossed my mind. that's both pathetic and hilarious

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

i'm so used to seeing metaphors about how people act like babies when they don't get their way that the thought of people literally doing that never crossed my mind. that's both pathetic and hilarious

They're presumably soiled by literal babies, too.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I’m still thunderstruck that we somehow managed to pass (basically) $15 minimum wage

my hourly wage is going from $11 to $11.10 because of the new minimum (upstate obvs) and my god the whining from business owners. $4 a week!!!!!! owner spends more than that on his coffee every day.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

InediblePenguin posted:

my hourly wage is going from $11 to $11.10 because of the new minimum (upstate obvs) and my god the whining from business owners. $4 a week!!!!!! owner spends more than that on his coffee every day.

I like how they did the cheesy multi-year phase in plan to avoid offending the poor business owners.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

etalian posted:

I like how they did the cheesy multi-year phase in plan to avoid offending the poor business owners.

... and it still didn't work!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
when my pay went from 11 to 13, they slashed staffing from a ratio of 1 adult:6 kids to 1 adult:8 kids. My boss being awful I was ready for, but coworkers who advocated for it, I can never trust again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it could be worse, Minneapolis's minimum wage phase-in is a joke

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

... and it still didn't work!

It never does, it's so stupid to try to placate a side that won't ever agree with you anyway.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Longtime readers of this thread will not be shocked to hear that Cuomo loves to pepper his administration with former Republican functionaries.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/nyregion/de-blasio-health-care-plan.html

I haven't lived in NYC for a while now but is this going to be watered down diarrhea or what

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Glambags posted:

I haven't lived in NYC for a while now but is this going to be watered down diarrhea or what

DeBlasio knows that Dems have some majority going on in state politics, so I guess he's gonna try to milk that cow dry if his hands aren't too cold for the cow to tolerate it. :bernin:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

cuomo said that he wants to end the MTA and make it more accountable and less bureaucratic, which is a pretty bad faith argument considering who's making it

Glambags posted:

considering that this is city-only, seemingly not going to have any kind of city council approval, intended for low-earners and immigrants, and only increasing funding by a mere $100 million, it's safe to say this is watered down, yeah. still not bad at all on the surface but i wanna see more details

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It’s specifically looking to cover people without access to Medicaid - undocumented, etc.

That’s a substantial and highly vulnerable population, but covering them isn’t the most expensive thing in the world either. It’s not trying to be universal health care. It’s just trying to plug the most important gaps at the very bottom of the scale.

quote:

New York City already provides health care to the uninsured and the undocumented through its hospital system, a roughly $8 billion behemoth whose history of service to the poor, regardless of an ability to pay, can be traced to the founding of Bellevue Hospital in the 18th century. A person without medical insurance has long been able to go to a city emergency room and get care, free of charge, or to seek a primary-care physician.

But the financially challenged system did not work well to connect patients to doctors, Mr. de Blasio said. He promised a streamlined approach — complete with a hotline and dedicated membership card — and one that would be focused on the primary-care doctor, rather than the emergency room.

“We were only covering them in the sense that they could go to the emergency room,” the mayor said. “It was not a way to live.”

Tl;dr, it’s 100m to take a population that the city has always eaten the cost of treating via emergency rooms, and giving them a card they can use to schedule real normal doctors appointments and not strain the ER’s. A lot of the cost of that is just going to come around in savings as non emergency treatment is so much cheaper than all ER’s all the time.

Chevy Slyme has issued a correction as of 04:59 on Jan 9, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if anything, it's not so much about universal coverage as it is about bolstering the finances of the city hospital system and taking a stand on immigration

am i imagining things, or is the Cuomo Dick Sucking Factory known as "new york media" working harder than they ever have before? far from being shredded for his well-intentioned but completely impulsive L train shutdown aversion, they're being very "just the facts" when reporting it, when BdB would have been spitroasted if he did the same thing. last week, there was a horrific City & State article making Cuomo out to be more competent, better at politics, and therefore a better potential presidential candidate than de Blasio (even though they're both cartoonishly corrupt). today, there was a Times Union article saying that Cuomo is better qualified than most other candidates because he's ably handled the bureaucracy and the executive position (loving :lol: )

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
BDB is cartoonishly naiive, has been taken advantage of by corrupt assholes, and is not exactly the smartest political operator out there, but I don’t think that he himself is particularly corrupt at all.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

BDB is cartoonishly naiive, has been taken advantage of by corrupt assholes, and is not exactly the smartest political operator out there, but I don’t think that he himself is particularly corrupt at all.
either he's been duped by people like Reichnitz or that restauranteur, or he's actively corrupt and these guys help him out. either way, it's not good

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Lmao he and cuomo go way back. dude is corrupt as gently caress

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1083589371046047744

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i notice that there's no word about making the rules for changing parties not a joke. if that's not part of the package it's because it's still unpopular among the legislature's democrats. my assemblyman proposed changing this in the last session and his legislation got only one cosponsor and the ire of "every progressive group you can think of" (his words)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
State of the state?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the voting reforms are a good start and have been called a start by legislature leadership, which is good, because there's still work to be done

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I hope you like your new budget, COMRADES https://twitter.com/CBSNewYork/status/1085322103178645505

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i thought the sinclair media merger was dead and prevented their advance into the NYC media market

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

for those keeping track at home, here's a list of accomplishments for both the legislature and cuomo

Legislature:
  • passed a package of voting reforms that instantly makes the voting process better, though it's just a first step
  • passed GENDA
  • will be focused on codifying abortion protections into law and passing a state-level DREAM Act next week

Cuomo:
  • continues to pick a fight with the MTA, claiming he doesn't control it, even though he most certainly loving does

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cuomo thinks if we're high we might vote for him again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

wow it’s so weird to feel positive feelings about the state legislature