Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Colonel posted:

kuromukuro sure was a sort of fun show to watch until it stopped getting fansubbed halfway through and i completely forgot about it

Yeah its with Netflix so they did that lame thing where they waited for the first 13, released those, then waited for the back 13. I got through the first half but fell off in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Brain Powered any good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would never call Brain Powered good but it is an interesting watch if you like Tomino a his craziest, gives no fucks about actually explaining stuff to the audience, people acting like weird human shaped aliens-iest.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sakurazuka posted:

I would never call Brain Powered good but it is an interesting watch if you like Tomino a his craziest, gives no fucks about actually explaining stuff to the audience, people acting like weird human shaped aliens-iest.

Seconding this, also I love its opening and ending songs. Just watch those and you're set.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Brain Powered any good?

It has an amazing Yoko Kanno soundtrack. Other than that, not at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Brain Powered any good?

theres a scene where a giant mech spends five minutes trying to open a regular humansized door without breaking it

besides that, no

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there any anime similar to High School Of The Dead? Where the backdrop of the plot is serious but the rest of it is stupid as hell. Mayoiga is something similar which I enjoyed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ulio posted:

Is there any anime similar to High School Of The Dead? Where the backdrop of the plot is serious but the rest of it is stupid as hell. Mayoiga is something similar which I enjoyed.

School-Live! :unsmigghh:.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
School Live is very good but it's not really on the level of "stupid bullshit" as high school of the dead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

School Live is very good but it's not really on the level of "stupid bullshit" as high school of the dead.

It was a half-joking answer because it's only technically correct, hence the emote :ssh:.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ulio posted:

I mean, TTGL if you haven't seen it yet. Bunch of people attempting to reclaim a post apocalyptic world. They generally fight in the stupidest, yet most entertaining way possible.

Humanity has Declined is an anime about the slow extinction of mankind due to lack of breeding. Most of the episodes are the MC getting into increasingly stupid bullshit due to her desire to be as lazy and selfish as humanly possible.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I finally decided to make a list of what cyberpunk anime I might still want to watch.
I used this wikipedia page and this article as my basis for remembering what I've watched and considering new ones to watch. I used MAL to check the a score given for each series on the site, generally speaking if it dosn't reach 7.0 I didn't bother researching further

Watched:
Akira
Votoms (doesn't really qualify but has the "vibe")
Blame! (Anime honestly sucks but I like the mangaka's works)
Cyber City Oedo 808
Ergo Proxy
Every GITS ever released
Psycho Pass
Dimension W (stretches the definition a little I guess?)
Bubblegum Crisis
Serial Experiments Lain
Denno Coil (I don't consider this cyberpunk myself)
Most of Patlabor (kind of has the vibe)
Time of Eve (not really cyberpunk imo)
.Hack series (I don't really consider this cyberpunk, but the article lists this. I literally remember nothing about watching this. Probably not worth a rewatch?)
Battle Angel Alita
Armitage 3
Summer Wars (how is this cyberpunk at all?)

Considering:
Apleseed
Neo Tokyo
Metropolis (I started on it but it seemed boring)
Kamiyadori
Mardock Scramble
Texhnolyze
Aeon Flux (holy poo poo the animation might be a little too disturbing/uncanny for me for some reason).
Ai no Kusabi (subject matter might be too much for me, don't judge me).
Angel Cop
Casshern Sins (animation style looks really off-putting)
Dominion Tank Police (looks interesting enough, animation is inoffensive)
Gunslinger Girl (subject matter seems... uhh to me)
Kaiba (animation seems super off-putting)
Memories
Pale Cocoon
Genocidal Organ
Dirty Pair (I honestly don't know what to think of this)
RD Sennou/Real Drive (seems kinda generic 00's anime tbh)

Added due to recommendations on this thread:
Roujin Z (I thought I added this, weird)
Madox-01
Robot Carnival (avoided due it being bunch of mini films)
Short Peace

Am I missing something obvious? I can't imagine I'm missing any critically acclaimed cult pieces at least?

My top 3 from short memory are GITS:SAC (multiple GITS shows could fit in top 3), Akira and Cyber City Oedo 808. Bubblegum Crisis is definitely right there after the rest because of the crazy good OST and 80's vibes it has. As for modern series Psycho Pass is... inoffensive but it's just that much worse compared to GITS:SAC and I feel they occupy a very similar space.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 4, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Angel Cop is trash, FYI. You might get some semi-ironic entertainment out of it, but don't expect much. (also has some anti semitic plot point iirc, but that might only be in the Japanese original)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
metropolis, casshern, kaiba and dirty pair are good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gunslinger girl isn't cyberpunk at all

real drive is great, and im not sure how you are getting generic anime from a shirow series

harmony from the same series as genocidal organ is pretty cyberpunk, i think the whole series is awful though

some other missing: key the metal idol, Kurau Phantom Memory (both meh), Roujin Z (great), various bubblegum crisis spinoffs, angel cop (meh) and the animatrix. after that you get into very obscure ova territory

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Angel Cop is trash, FYI. You might get some semi-ironic entertainment out of it, but don't expect much. (also has some anti semitic plot point iirc, but that might only be in the Japanese original)

Yeah honestly I'm not surprised one or two of these shows would be extremely offensive in one way or another. I'm not saying I'm fine with it, just kind of expecting it of the "edgy"/"gore"/era and, uh, sensibilities of the era in Japan.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the antisemitism in angel cop is like 3 lines, blink and you'll miss it. bigger problem is that its extremely boring

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I wouldn't call Dirty Pair cyberpunk but it's really good, watch the TV series then the OVA series.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Check out Madox-01. Not cyberpunk, but similar to some of the stuff you outlined as having that "vibe". Dumb plot, but cool action scenes and some great mech/tech close ups.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i forgot about it but also watch anything otomo, neo tokyo and short peace both have fitting segments, freedom is akira on the moon, robot carnival ofc. Only steamboy is steampunk instead and world apartment horror is well, not punk

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Metropolis is great. Casshern Sins is excellent as well but I wouldn't really call it cyberpunk

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh yeah check out Down Load: Namu Amida Butsu wa Ai no Uta

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I started watching Gash Bell and it rekindled my love for wacky kids' anime.
Are there any rec's for other offbeat, funny anime, not necessarily just for kids, that also has an interesting story? Not just gag series or slice-of-life type stuff but more akin to One Piece where there is a mix of humor and emotion. A unique art style is appealing as well, rather than standard "pretty" looking characters.
Stuff I have already seen: One Piece, Toriko, One Punch, Mob Psycho, Osomatsu, Cromartie, Naruto, TTGL, Kill la Kill, Dragonball, Digimon, Samurai Pizza Cats, Sailor Moon, Poptepipic, Black Jack

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should read gash bell, because the anime ends like two arcs before the end and it ends super strong

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

dracky posted:

Are there any rec's for other offbeat, funny anime, not necessarily just for kids, that also has an interesting story? Not just gag series or slice-of-life type stuff but more akin to One Piece where there is a mix of humor and emotion. A unique art style is appealing as well, rather than standard "pretty" looking characters.
Stuff I have already seen: One Piece, Toriko, One Punch, Mob Psycho, Osomatsu, Cromartie, Naruto, TTGL, Kill la Kill, Dragonball, Digimon, Samurai Pizza Cats, Sailor Moon, Poptepipic, Black Jack

Watch Flip Flappers!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the new gegege no kitaro series is great for this, lots of dealing with real-world japanese history and also modern perceptions of japan in a pretty darkly humorous way, and there's lots of weird monster designs. it starts out f airly episodic but the episodes are interesting, and it gets a running plot as it goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWTKaoi6UBE

you want the 2018 series since its been around since the 60s (not to say the 60s or any of the other series are bad, i just can't directly speak to their quality)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Check out Kyou Kara Ore Wa!! which is about two kids who move to a new town and decide they want to be delinquents

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the first thing that came to mind for a wacky kids adventure is Time Bokan 24. the basic premise is two kids have to travel time and reveal the true history, since everything we know from textbooks is actually false. pursuing them is a trio of incompetent and overworked adult "villains" who are motivated by the desire to...not have to rewrite history textbooks every time these "true histories" are revealed. it's a new entry in a franchise that has existed for a while, so it's aware of the sizable adult audience that watched different versions when they were kids, and plays to them just as much as it tries to sell toys to kids.

it's more episodic and comedic in tone (the true histories are all jokes that run opposite to real historical knowledge) but i thought the gags got progressively better and the villains are actually the heart of the show. the style is a bit exaggerated and has the trademark blinding colors of a kid's anime, but isn't terribly weird otherwise. i'd only add one caveat: the first episode is pretty bad and not a great indicator of the show's overall quality.

it's conveniently on crunchyroll https://www.crunchyroll.com/time-bokan-24

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

dracky posted:

i don't see hunter x hunter on your list?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Or Fullmetal alchemist, although they may just not be considering it among those shonen types even if it is.

If you have somehow missed FMA, give Brotherhood a watch. Or just read the original manga, both are totally valid options. I'm sure there's a "recommended watch guide" for the original anime and brotherhood to cover what brotherhood kinda skims early on (to get to the stuff the original anime didn't cover since it went off into its own original story after a certain point) but honestly you can probably just go for Brotherhood and be fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Or Fullmetal alchemist, although they may just not be considering it among those shonen types even if it is.

If you have somehow missed FMA, give Brotherhood a watch. Or just read the original manga, both are totally valid options. I'm sure there's a "recommended watch guide" for the original anime and brotherhood to cover what brotherhood kinda skims early on (to get to the stuff the original anime didn't cover since it went off into its own original story after a certain point) but honestly you can probably just go for Brotherhood and be fine.

While you're right about just watching Brotherhood, if you want to go the "watch a bit first" route you just need the first dozen or so episodes of the original anime. The big one you need is episode 9, because Yoki just kinda pops into existence already cursing the Elrics for what they did to him in Brotherhood and he's got a much more expanded role than Villain of the Week.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
As far as I remember Ergo Proxy was a fine example of a pretty good anime with a batshit insane tone whiplash ending out of nowhere presumably for budget or time restriction reasons

E:

And I totally missed that you already watched this, oh well :saddowns:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dracky posted:

Yakitate!! Japan and Gintama pop out to me, tho someone who's watched more Gintama then me can help guide you there cause there's so much of it. Yakitate is about funny bread baking competitions and while I eventually got tired of it it starts out really good.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

quote:

You should read gash bell, because the anime ends like two arcs before the end and it ends super strong
I really like the voice acting and the music, but I'll give it a read as well.
to go on a tangent, I'm still upset at how bad the One Piece anime got. The actors really made the characters come alive, and the music made the tear jerking moments so powerful, and the theme songs made you pumped up and excited. I like the manga as well, even if it's become awfully cluttered and unfocused lately, but the anime was really special to me.

quote:

i don't see hunter x hunter on your list?
HxH is one I never got around to, but it's on my to-watch list. I've heard lot of rec's so I'm looking forward to it.

quote:

I tried FMA way back when, from what I remember it didn't grab me, but I might give it another go.
I lose interest in shonen if it's too straight faced or takes too long to get going. I couldn't get past a few episodes/chapters of Naruto, I didn't like any of the main characters, overall I just found it boring. I gave up on TTGL as well, I really really wanted to like it, but it was creepy and lovely to the main female character, there was gay panic jokes, the macho attitude just rubbed me the wrong way. If there's a point I can skip to when it gets better I would, but I suspect it just isn't for me.

Thanks for the other recommendations!

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Yearly Twelve Kingdoms novel update for Nate and anyone else who cares:

The first draft of the new novel is finally finished, and it will be edited and published by Shinchosha in 2019. It is indeed a continuation of the Taiki storyline. The first draft is an absurd 2500 pages long (on vertically lined Japanese paper, but still). Given the length, a fan translation will likely take several additional years... but at least it will be started at some point this year.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's cool, I'd gladly pick that all back up assuming it gets TLed somewhere. I feel like I left off on some of the side stories because the TL for them was noticeably worse than some of the previous ones.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Ah, yeah, for a long time the only translation of the latest short story collection Hisho's Birds was by a Japanese guy with awful English. Fortunately Eugene Woodbury picked it up since then and later finished it. He also confirmed forever ago that he'll be tackling the new novel whenever it comes out, so there will for sure be a good translation eventually. Glad that guy is still around.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So, I watched Revolutionary Girl Utena recently. Are Ikuhara's newer shows in the same vein? Is there anything else remotley like it? Specifically, I am thinking of the characters, themes and clever visual allegories. If it helps, I liked the movie a lot.

Also, everyone should drop everything and watch Utena right now. I don't care if you've already seen it, just do it!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

So, I watched Revolutionary Girl Utena recently. Are Ikuhara's newer shows in the same vein? Is there anything else remotley like it? Specifically, I am thinking of the characters, themes and clever visual allegories. If it helps, I liked the movie a lot.

Also, everyone should drop everything and watch Utena right now. I don't care if you've already seen it, just do it!

None of his other work is as good as Utena, he pretty much caught lightning in a bottle there.

Penguin Drum is pretty solid (especially the first half) but it's like if Utena ended in the middle of the final arc.

His work on Sailor Moon is fine but it's nowhere near as weird or abstract, naturally.

I dropped Lesbian Bear Storm after like an episode because it just felt creepy and voyeuristic.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

You'll find similar visual themes in his other shows, but nothing I've seen has ever approached it.

Maybe Princess Tutu would be the closest?