Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
got some serious flashbacks there. Early 90s were all about DA and nintendo power for me. Wish I still had this one so I could read about super weird dogs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder is Wayne was into Ursala.

And I meant that just the name sounded sinister, not the actual club.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ambitious Spider posted:

got some serious flashbacks there. Early 90s were all about DA and nintendo power for me. Wish I still had this one so I could read about super weird dogs:

Oh man, Disney Adventures were my jam when I was a kid :allears:. Come to think of it, I might still have mine in a box somewhere. I think might even have that specific issue.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Iron Crowned posted:

I often wonder what it was about translucent plastics that enthralled us so much in the 90's, there was tons of it everywhere.

Granted, it's likely not a MAJOR reason it was big in the 90s, but some prisons that allowed prisoners to have access to some things like personal TVs and radios required them to be see-thru plastic.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/prison-inmates-offer-captive-market-gadget-makers-n134191

You can even get a tablet in that fashion from some provider.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Disney adventures was okay but fox kids was way cooler

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

One interesting one is the soundtrack to The Last Action Hero because it's like the last gasp of 80s hard rock. The biggest hit single from it was a Def Leppard song.

Didn't that movie have "Big Gun" NUMBER ONE in it? I remember seeing that one in the theaters and it that song was EVERYWHERE. AC/DC got beat by Def Leppard?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hatelull posted:

Didn't that movie have "Big Gun" NUMBER ONE in it? I remember seeing that one in the theaters and it that song was EVERYWHERE. AC/DC got beat by Def Leppard?

It was a bigger hit on the rock charts; the Def Leppard song was the pop hit.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The soundtrack also has two of Alice In Chains' best songs, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFJ_AXv7UWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXIk45pL0o

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Laterite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFJ_AXv7UWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXIk45pL0o

Man, I loved Alice in Chains. :kiddo:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Laterite posted:

Agreeeeeed. I just got on a kick a while back. Nobody says 'YEAH' like Alice in Chains says 'YEAH.'

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

lord funk posted:

Agreeeeeed. I just got on a kick a while back. Nobody says 'YEAH' like Alice in Chains says 'YEAH.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAalL-zK2rQ

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Layne is the only person who can sing like that. Because that's just his voice. Everyone else who sings like that is trying to sound like him. It's harder to listen to their songs now knowing that the lyrics were deadly serious. Like listening to a recording of someone reading their suicide note.

Related but unrelated: "Low" by Cracker came up on the shuffle tonight and I thought about how the 90s led me to believe that avoiding heroin would be a much bigger problem for me than it turned out.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Jan 4, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Imagined posted:

Related but unrelated: "Low" by Cracker came up on the shuffle tonight and I thought about how the 90s led me to believe that avoiding heroin would be a much bigger problem for me than it turned out.

It was if you were in the Pacific Northwest grunge scene. It's impossible to overstate how much of a heroin epidemic infested those people in that area; a ton of celebrities got killed or nearly killed by it (most notably Layne Staley and Andrew Wood, but Kurt Cobain was probably the biggest name who was addicted at the time of his suicide). Duff McKagan of Guns n' Roses grew up there and one of the things driving him to move out in the 80s was just how much heroin was going around. Well into the 90s, a ton of his old friends back home died from it. He eventually got himself clean from his vice of alcohol, but still had to help Scott Weiland try and sober up when he was in Velvet Revolver.

Just assume that any grunge band or Pacific Northwest band from the late 80s into the 90s has at least one song about heroin.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
After watching the Todd in the Shadows video about the Divinyls, I am really sad that Chrissy Amphlett died of breast cancer at 53. I Touch Myself got me though a lot of pre internet days.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Jan 4, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I Touch Myself got me though a lot of pre internet days.

That kind of thing gets us through the Internet days too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

After watching the Todd in the Shadows video about the Divinyls, I am really sad that Chrissy Amphlett died of breast cancer at 53. I Touch Myself got me though a lot of pre internet days.

Yeah, that song came out when I was just entering puberty, so the video was a blessing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

It was if you were in the Pacific Northwest grunge scene. It's impossible to overstate how much of a heroin epidemic infested those people in that area; a ton of celebrities got killed or nearly killed by it (most notably Layne Staley and Andrew Wood, but Kurt Cobain was probably the biggest name who was addicted at the time of his suicide). Duff McKagan of Guns n' Roses grew up there and one of the things driving him to move out in the 80s was just how much heroin was going around. Well into the 90s, a ton of his old friends back home died from it. He eventually got himself clean from his vice of alcohol, but still had to help Scott Weiland try and sober up when he was in Velvet Revolver.

Just assume that any grunge band or Pacific Northwest band from the late 80s into the 90s has at least one song about heroin.

Isn't Violator entirely about heroin as well?

(Besides Enjoy The Silence, that's obviously about heroin)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Randaconda posted:

Isn't Violator entirely about heroin as well?

(Besides Enjoy The Silence, that's obviously about heroin)

It's maybe roughly 75% about heroin. Songs Of Faith And Devotion, about 85%. Then Ultra is 100%.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__biilMpnmw&t=142s

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

God, those things had to have been just 100% pure high-fructose corn syrup with food coloring, didn't they?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Moon Slayer posted:

God, those things had to have been just 100% pure high-fructose corn syrup with food coloring, didn't they?

They're clearly 100% fruit juice

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

I LOVED Lip Gear. I went through at least a couple of the sour apple gloss.

These, however, were where it was AT. There was a mint chocolate flavor in this line that I'd sell a loving kidney for a tube of.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I had a relative that worked for Hard Candy, the alt/candypop makeup brand from late 99.

Have a bunch of their silicone rings (used to come with a nailpolish bottle) and some of their old rear end glitter hair spray.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://twitter.com/ProducerBTW/status/1081404168911220737

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Phantasy Star II for $80 holy poo poo. And that's 1990 $80.

e: after inflation that's $150 today.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Jan 5, 2019

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Those big RPGs were insanely expensive back in the day. Anything that required a big memory chip in the cartridge and was expected to sell relatively lower numbers.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

I always confused Phantasy Star with Space Harrier somehow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwa4eaEnmMI

A Link to the Past wasn't chump change new either

Chrono Trigger too

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

e: after inflation that's $150 today.

Final Fantasy II/IV was seventy bucks brand new.

I got my money's worth, though, iffy translation and all. :yaycloud:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember saving my money from my afterschool job in high school to buy FFIII for 75bux.

That's 111 bux in todays money. That's like a collectors edition.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Computer games have always been too expensive.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
https://twitter.com/dinosaurdracula/status/1081714034615947265?s=21

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Here's something pretty 90s that I thought about the other day: Oddbodz

For those of you who have never heard of them, they were series of collectible trading cards you got from potato chip packets. Only available in New Zealand and Australia from 1996-1998 or so. There were a few different series and they were hot poo poo at primary (elementary) school.

Very 90s because of the art style and the gross-out humour.

Here's an example:

And a fansite:
http://oddbodz.yolasite.com/

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Can confirm, this was literally the funniest sentence of 1996

The fun bit was on the other side though, where you could mix and match them to create silly stories like so:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Oh yeah. I think I managed to get all 61 of them as the clerk at the servo knew us from regular trips after school then gave us a ton of packets when they were about to end it.

The holy grail was getting both glow and hot (heat sensitive parts that went clear when warmed up to show a hidden image.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jaguars! posted:

Can confirm, this was literally the funniest sentence of 1996

The fun bit was on the other side though, where you could mix and match them to create silly stories like so:

You know, I honestly did not remember those cards at all until your followup post with the stories on the back.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Those look like Garbage Pail Kids ripoffs IMHO.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That is something I won't miss about the 90s, everything was just about grossness for a while.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

More about, plus various chip-packet fads:

https://wayninginterests.wordpress.com/2012/03/27/1996-a-space-oddyssey/#comments

He's right about the glow in the dark stuff, they were really well done like that. Some of them virtually the whole card would light up.

Dillbag posted:

Those look like Garbage Pail Kids ripoffs IMHO.

Yeah possibly, there could be quite a lag before stuff made it down here back in those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The 1990s in NZ were a weird mix of "exactly the same" and "1/5/10 years behind" compared to the US/UK. I had to laugh a little at this from the 1970s thread:

Khazar-khum posted:

7. Most US cities had 3-4 TV stations, so that aspect of culture was pretty homogenous. Just about everyone watched Saturday morning cartoons and Jonny Carson late at night. You generally stuck with a particular network for all your TV needs, though that changed when "All in the Family" came out. Networks had big preview nights where they gave samplings of what was to come that season. Cable existed only where there was no other access to TV. It was a city utility with limited offering.

This more or less perfectly describes TV in NZ in the early 90s. The government run TV1 ran the News, Country Calendar, and UK programming. Government run TV2 for kids, soaps, and US sitcoms. Commercial TV3 trying to compete with both, and later on TV4, which was probably a couple of nerds in a TVNZ broomcloset stealing bandwidth to broadcast Sci-fi and ancient programs. All shut down about midnight. SKY TV was something only the keenest sports watchers in your neighbourhood would have but by the 2000s maybe 20% of houses had sky TV.

So in 1995, you could have 4 3 grainy channels (Some in mono outside Auckland or Wellington), possibly a dozen if you were a keen TV watcher, and yet have dial up internet - provided that you weren't so far out that you were still on a party line.

Jaguars! has a new favorite as of 10:45 on Jan 6, 2019