Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

She's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ah, yes, the band that heavily uses nazi imagery in their logo and lyrics is okay, until they post a photo of the band with Trump, and that's just too much!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Paladinus posted:

Ah, yes, the band that heavily uses nazi imagery in their logo and lyrics is okay, until they post a photo of the band with Trump, and that's just too much!

Never noticed this because I don't like slayer but you're correct af. They've always been CHUDs apparently.

e: reading up on Tom Araya, I think you could call ICE on him and get him deported which would be the height of irony.

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Jan 3, 2019

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

especially funny because she died from getting hit by a sewage truck

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tetracube posted:

especially funny because she died from getting hit by a sewage truck

LMAO

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Paladinus posted:

They're always dead nazis, so I guess I just gave them undue credit

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Not a slayer fan, but I always assumed the nazi imagery was just edgy bullshit but the nazis were always dead and tortured and burning in hell so they could skirt accusations of being neo-nazis.

But they're loving lame so who cares.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Not a slayer fan, but I always assumed the nazi imagery was just edgy bullshit but the nazis were always dead and tortured and burning in hell so they could skirt accusations of being neo-nazis.

But they're loving lame so who cares.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

love this

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Wha? I mean, if you dislike Adventure Zone, cool, but neither of those things describe it at all. Unless you just mean that one scene where some characters reappeared?

The Stolen Century is about a group of friends who travel between different universes in a modular spaceship after a meteor shower heralds the walls between worlds breaking down and leaves them stranded from their home world. They fight an amorphous evil black force that spawns shadow monsters and is led by a charismatic scientist in a black suit who monologues about darkness and seeks to consume the hearts of all worlds, which the heroes fight by trying to get to the hearts before him. The worlds they visit and aventures they go on are explicitly based on extant works of fiction the DM likes with the serial numbers filed off and fit into a D&D setting: Pedal to the Metal is Fast and the Furious, the talking animal planet is Zootopia, the one campaign that was Groundhog Day in the wild wild west, etc. Also all the heroes have amnesia and have forgotten that they knew each other in past lives and carry incredible otherworldly power inside them, which they unlock and then channel into powerful totems based on common objects (no actual keys, though) to beat the darkness with the help of Summons of the friends they made along the way.

That thing you like is Kindgdom Hearts, my dude.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Guy Mann posted:

The Stolen Century is about a group of friends who travel between different universes in a modular spaceship after a meteor shower heralds the walls between worlds breaking down and leaves them stranded from their home world. They fight an amorphous evil black force that spawns shadow monsters and is led by a charismatic scientist in a black suit who monologues about darkness and seeks to consume the hearts of all worlds, which the heroes fight by trying to get to the hearts before him. The worlds they visit and aventures they go on are explicitly based on extant works of fiction the DM likes with the serial numbers filed off and fit into a D&D setting: Pedal to the Metal is Fast and the Furious, the talking animal planet is Zootopia, the one campaign that was Groundhog Day in the wild wild west, etc. Also all the heroes have amnesia and have forgotten that they knew each other in past lives and carry incredible otherworldly power inside them, which they unlock and then channel into powerful totems based on common objects (no actual keys, though) to beat the darkness with the help of Summons of the friends they made along the way.

That thing you like is Kindgdom Hearts, my dude.

Both are good, but in one the writer is very obviously making poo poo up as he goes along and the other is our sweet sweet baby brother Griffin McElroy.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Keep these New Vegas memes a'comin.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wait it's loving 2019.

God.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

NewFatMike posted:

Both are good, but in one the writer is very obviously making poo poo up as he goes along and the other is our sweet sweet baby brother Griffin McElroy.

He is certainly a luminary

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Adventure Zone was good right up until the Stolen Century stuff came up. When it didn't have a big metaplot smeared with fanservice and twee, AZ was one of the best things the McElroys ever did.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Adventure Zone was good right up until the Stolen Century stuff came up. When it didn't have a big metaplot smeared with fanservice and twee, AZ was one of the best things the McElroys ever did.
The derail made me realize how mcelroy heavy my podcast consumtion was last year. I haven't listened to any Mclroy poo poo (it's all chap now). Yea, the new AZ stuff is just too up it's own rear end or something. Never got into mbmbam. It was carboys, cool games inc and adventure zone. Mcelroy is better when he is weird, not when he is random monkey banana without any editing. Also, Nick's channel is back. And he is tooooo weird/experimental. They need each other to make good content - they balanced each other out.

Griffin shouldn't have left polygon, I barely watch it anymore which is sad because they were great when him and nick were doing most the steering. Even awful squad was funny.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

The gently caress is this German flag :thunk:

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

KoRMaK posted:

Griffin shouldn't have left polygon, I barely watch it anymore which is sad because they were great when him and nick were doing most the steering. Even awful squad was funny.

He's no Griffin, but Brian is pretty good. Probably the only thing I'll occasionally watch on Polygon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STFAzuCxAXE

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

KoRMaK posted:

The derail made me realize how mcelroy heavy my podcast consumtion was last year. I haven't listened to any Mclroy poo poo (it's all chap now). Yea, the new AZ stuff is just too up it's own rear end or something. Never got into mbmbam. It was carboys, cool games inc and adventure zone. Mcelroy is better when he is weird, not when he is random monkey banana without any editing. Also, Nick's channel is back. And he is tooooo weird/experimental. They need each other to make good content - they balanced each other out.

Nick was a sexpest that used his influence to creep on ladies.

MMBAM is all right, but the episodes drag on for too long and Travis is kinda irritating, which is sad because he was solid as Magnus Burnsides during most of TAZ. Clint McElroy is cool though, and even if I don't like a lot of the stuff his boys do they're all good people and he was a good dad for raising them. Griffin's the kind of guy who manages to be wholesome even when making dick jokes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

pro starcraft loser posted:

He's no Griffin, but Brian is pretty good. Probably the only thing I'll occasionally watch on Polygon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STFAzuCxAXE

They seemed to stop doing a whole fuckton of video projects lately, and BDG is the only one who's doing something on the reg.

Which loving sucks because I loved their stupid video poo poo. SEO Plays, Gill & Gilbert, Yellface, Game Ogre, Awful Squad, etc. gently caress, they even stopped doing Jackbox.

Edit: Really what I miss is Simone being so weird and adorable and making everyone else uncomfortable with her sexual comments.

Jamesman has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Jan 4, 2019

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah, it was fun when they first started and were actually trying to be funny. I was hoping that after finishing the first big game he would realize that he had become the podcasting equivalent of those joke-a-day webcomics that try and become serious ongoing serialized dramas with characters that were originally conceived as jokes and adjust accordingly but then the the new plot they went with was Gravity Falls only with them trying to out-woke each other with the characters they played as and I tapped out.

KoRMaK posted:

The good news is that Nick Robinson still makes a ton of good, funny content on his own and consistently gets higher views than Polygon's video output because it turns out most people don't think flirting with your fans when they approach you in DMs is an unpersonable offense, especially if you apologize and bear the consequences gracefully.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Whatever happened to Issue at hand? I liked that and i dont really even read comics.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Polygon thread in Games talks about it but basically the video metrics were that people unscribed more when they posted those videos so they all but stopped. Justin and Griffin leaving was bad but then them stopping Awful Squad put the nail in the coffin.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wait they even try outwoke Griffin dating his transgendered self?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm not complaining about wokeness (although I do think they were pandering to the fanbase pretty hard), but a lot of the fun of the podcast was them doing actual DnD stuff and working within the confines of a hard ruleset, while the later arcs were "let's play make-believe using this Tumblr bingo chart as a base."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Zero One posted:

The Polygon thread in Games talks about it but basically the video metrics were that people unscribed more when they posted those videos so they all but stopped. Justin and Griffin leaving was bad but then them stopping Awful Squad put the nail in the coffin.

That really sucks and is really dumb. What other reason would you go to Polygon's YouTube, if not for their crazy video game antics? I specifically subscribed FOR that poo poo.

Here have a Twitter account that will help you relive some of the good times.

https://twitter.com/PolyGIFs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Meeeeems.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

married but discreet posted:

The gently caress is this German flag :thunk:

That's the flag of fascist Spain too...

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

The good news is that Nick Robinson still makes a ton of good, funny content on his own and consistently gets higher views than Polygon's video output because it turns out most people don't think flirting with your fans when they approach you in DMs is an unpersonable offense, especially if you apologize and bear the consequences gracefully.

It also turns out most people are lovely assholes. He wasn't just sliding into random DMs and "flirting", he was targeting underage girls for explicit pictures and sexual contact. I loved Cool Games Inc and Car Boys as much as the next person, but gently caress that guy.

Also lol that it was late 2017 that this all went down. Feels like a million years ago.

Laterite has a new favorite as of 03:36 on Jan 4, 2019

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

pro starcraft loser posted:

Keep these New Vegas memes a'comin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames