Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Surrounding Game on Netflix is a documentary about professional Go players and honestly it was super interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Netflix once recommended The Diary of Anne Frank because I watched Flowers in the Attic.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Netflix once recommended The Diary of Anne Frank because I watched Flowers in the Attic.

lmao

yikes

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm watching Sabrina on Netflix and it is good.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think Netflix algorithms work very well.

Netflix once recommended I watch Penguins of Madagascar because I had watched Cocaine Cowboys.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Did the Bandersnatch thing. Fun enough experiment though anybody looking for more than a mildly entertaining hour is going to be disappointed.

I did enjoy poorly explaining what netflix is to the protagonist. The only good outcome seems to be dying as a child to prevent another god awful gamer being unleashed on the world.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 2, 2019

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Lemony Snicket: I wonder if making Sunny understandable takes some of the comedy from her, but on the other hand, they couldn't make her go "goo goo ga ga" forever.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm a little late on this, but I started watching Forever on Amazon Prime, that show starring Maya Rudolph and Fred Armisen about a married couple.

Holy poo poo, how did I sleep on this brilliant, brilliant show.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Field Mousepad posted:

Happy! is fuckin great

Eh. It's got great moments, for sure, but was too uneven. It couldn't quite decide on a consistent tone.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H10VyAemotI&t=15s

AUDIENCE OF ONE is an amazing documentary from several years ago that was basically impossible to find but I just noticed was uploaded in full on youtube.

It's a documentary about a pastor who raises 50 million dollars to make a biblical science fiction movie. he has pretty much no film experience. Take a guess at how well that goes.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Eh. It's got great moments, for sure, but was too uneven. It couldn't quite decide on a consistent tone.

It was a pretty straight forward redemption arc I thought.

There was some great dark humor, flat out silly moments, a few good plot turns and well done bloody action sequences. It checked all my boxes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I wish Netflix would release a popularity list of their biggest series. I wonder where Castlevania ranks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Netflix never shares their numbers so they hold all the cards when it comes to negotiation

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've been having a hard time finding a really good show to watch properly after finishing Happy!, which is like in my top shows ever now and is a tough act to follow. I'm slowly watching The Expanse, which I'm supposed to like as a big fan of hardish sci-fi and cyberpunkish stuff in particular but for some reason it just doesn't grab me, it all moves so slow and is punctuated by super serious conversations and sometimes just feels to me like sort of generic modern TV drama stuff instead of actual innovative sci-fi, but I've been told it gets better in the second season and I'm almost done with the first.

So besides that, can anyone think of anything as good and with a similarly innovative tone as Happy! or a good sci fi show

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Thanks to those that recommended Killing Eve. Jodie Comer is a delightful psychopath.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Frog Act posted:

I've been having a hard time finding a really good show to watch properly after finishing Happy!, which is like in my top shows ever now and is a tough act to follow. I'm slowly watching The Expanse, which I'm supposed to like as a big fan of hardish sci-fi and cyberpunkish stuff in particular but for some reason it just doesn't grab me, it all moves so slow and is punctuated by super serious conversations and sometimes just feels to me like sort of generic modern TV drama stuff instead of actual innovative sci-fi, but I've been told it gets better in the second season and I'm almost done with the first.

Yeah, they dragged book one out across a season and a half, which doesn't really make sense. They begin to speed things up in season 2, and by season 3, the action is moving at breakneck speed.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Netflix never shares their numbers so they hold all the cards when it comes to negotiation

Negotiating in terms of what? Existing series getting renewed and their revenue split?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dredd is, stylistically, the complete opposite of The Crow, and yet owns for extremely similar reasons

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Frog Act posted:

So besides that, can anyone think of anything as good and with a similarly innovative tone as Happy! or a good sci fi show

For the pure mayhem of Happy!, the closest I can think of are Preacher (although I haven't seen Season 3), and for crazy, violent, badass action, BANSHEE. Preacher has fantastical elements, but neither are sci-fi.

My favorite sci-fi shows are Fringe and Person of Interest. They both start slow but become amazing. You won't believe it from the first handful of episodes, but Person of Interest becomes pretty drat cyberpunk by its finale. I only saw the first few episodes of Altered Carbon, but it's VERY cyberpunk as well. One of these days I'll finish it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
My first go on Bandersnatch I just poured coffee on the computer three times in a row until it dawned on me how beautiful it was that the makers made that an option when they clearly didn't have to. And it's a very particular choice: At least on my first run, there are two separate points within the narrative in which the filmmakers have, more or less, given you no choice. It's almost Funny Games-like. At one point the narrative resets itself, and in another case you are literally given one "choice," and forced to wait as this meta-textual clock ticks down.

So why here? Why, in this instance, have the filmmakers decided that your commitment to a deliberate self-sabotage, one that can perhaps repeat as many times as you wish, is an acceptable move? On one hand, the film/game work necessarily, in this instance, puts into even more stark terms the frustrating and even abusive relationship between the consumer and commodity. You may feel an uncommon anxiety watching the film (not likely, since it's not particularly scary, tense or convincingly dramatic), but the point is that the creators are hammering home the illusion of your choice, in a cruel and mocking fashion. On the other hand, the fact that the choice keeps being represented, while not 'freeing' the consumer, nonetheless allows for them to be as snide and antagonistic as possible. You're stabbing at a windmill, but in this sense Bandersnatch is such a perfectly constructed metaphor for how deleterious our relationships are with the modern world, such that the only logical response seems to be to either not play, or self-sabotage for the lawls.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Lycus posted:

Lemony Snicket: I wonder if making Sunny understandable takes some of the comedy from her, but on the other hand, they couldn't make her go "goo goo ga ga" forever.

Sunny was always translated for the reader in the books, though. I was surprised that they actually explicitly kept in the Scalia joke though, subtitling it as such and letting Violet interpret it instead of the subs.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
Annihilation is great and easily in my top sci fi films of all time. One of the most interesting and well executed allegories I've seen. If someone can't/won't engage with it or pick up on it just a little bit they'll probably hate it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The 2002 Count of Monte Cristo is on HBO and it's basically the perfect movie for a hungover afternoon.

It's got one of my favorite scenes out of all cinema where Luis Guzman's character points out how dumb the whole plot is.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite decent movies. It's not the best movie I've ever seen but I'm always happy enough to rewatch it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I love Count of Monte Cristo soooo much. Dagmara Dominczyk is just incredibly beautiful in it too

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Agreed it's not the greatest movie, but I love it to pieces and have a great time every time I rewatch it.

My only real complaint is that Guzmán is wildly miscast.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

tweet my meat posted:

Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite decent movies. It's not the best movie I've ever seen but I'm always happy enough to rewatch it.

Guy Pierce plays such a good villain

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

feedmyleg posted:

Agreed it's not the greatest movie, but I love it to pieces and have a great time every time I rewatch it.

My only real complaint is that Guzmán is wildly miscast.

How is he miscast?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah 2002 Count of Monte Cristo is not going to change your life or destroy you mentally or get you really riled up in any way shape or form, it's just a very enjoyable movie with good actors and pretty scenery that is an absolutely wonderful way to pass the time. You won't be amazed, you won't be disappointed, you won't feel like your time has been wasted, and you can totally watch it in mixed company. It also doesn't take itself too seriously and has a few funny bits.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fans of Patriot, Steven Conrad's excellent film The Weather Man with Nick Cage is on Hulu and it's still really great

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Fans of Patriot, Steven Conrad's excellent film The Weather Man with Nick Cage is on Hulu and it's still really great

I love The Weather Man so much and I don't know why.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Henry Cavill as Dante's son is amazing, Guy Pearce is great, it's just a delight.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Monte Cristo 2002 also has what's probably one of the only cases ever of a focus screening suggestion actually improving a movie, where they said it would be even nastier if Villefort's courtesy pistol wasn't loaded

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Guy Pierce plays such a good villain

Guy Pierce plays such a good everything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
isn't Monte Cristo 2002 the one where Edmond Dantes lives happily ever after with Mercedes at the end and Albert is really his son

like could you possibly miss the point of the story any harder

gently caress that movie

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Can anyone tell me about DC or Marvel animated superhero movies or even tv shows on amazon prime / hulu / netflix? I found a batman movie on netflix which I'm watching "batman: bad blood". Amazon prime's "animated movies" section is represented by a photo of superheroes from DC, but the entire section seems to be anime. What is there, that is good?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How is he miscast?

Well, maybe miscast is the wrong word as he's got a decent enough range in other works, but Guzmán plays him as a 21st century gangbanger rather than a 19th century pirate. It's at odds with the rest of the film.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Well, maybe miscast is the wrong word as he's got a decent enough range in other works, but Guzmán plays him as a 21st century gangbanger rather than a 19th century pirate. It's at odds with the rest of the film.

That sounds totally amazing.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

isn't Monte Cristo 2002 the one where Edmond Dantes lives happily ever after with Mercedes at the end and Albert is really his son

Yes. Gotta have that cliched Hollywood, storybook ending, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The MSJ posted:

That sounds totally amazing.

If the rest of the film were going for a Julie Taymor kind of a thing I'd agree, but as it is it just sticks out like a sore thumb to me.