Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Julet Esqu posted:

It is.

(I'm typing this from memory, so people feel free to correct me if I get details wrong.) Aaron, the kiddo Michael is based on turned out to be gay. And he is very much not gay in the strip, as we know. But to add an extra hurtful layer to the story is that at one time Aaron, a photographer for his local paper, was asked to take pictures of a car crash. He went and did his job, not knowing that a young woman he had known from school was dying inside that car.

Lynn wrote that car crash into the strip, including Michael taking pictures of the wreckage. But she made the young woman survive. (It's possible that Michael saved the woman's life, but I could be wrong about that.) That young woman was Deanna, a character that Michael knew in school, and who would go on to marry Michael and bear him multiple children.

Aaron and Lynn are now estranged.

I don't think he's the one that saves her from the wreck, but Lynn did write a series of comics where Michael agonizes about how immoral and selfish he had been to just do his job and take photos instead of rushing in to save her.

One suspects that is one of the several reasons Aaron doesn't talk to his mother anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
So it's still :justpost: right?

Sam's Strip is a short lived strip from the early 1960's. It's about comic strips. It was by Mort Walker (Beetle Bailey, Hi and Lois) and Jerry Dumas (Sam and Silo). The main characters in this were re-booted into Sam and Silo in 1977, without the meta-humor.

Foxtrot is a favorite of mine, though I managed to never live anywhere a paper carried it until it went Sunday only. Let's start back at the beginning.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

TofuDiva posted:

It's insane for me to be focused on this, but I've been waiting for them to show a window in this room-converted-from-a-closet (IIRC). If there isn't a window, it isn't safe or legal as anyone's bedroom.

That varies heavily by jurisdiction, and I think they only apply to initial homebuilders most of the time. The closet deathtrap's kosher! They just can't list it as a bedroom when they sell the house.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Hello friend and welcome to the (newspaper) comic strip thread! What's the name of this comic?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Is Kevin and Kell vore?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

You can pick a tasteful wall color and then let the kid help picking out like bedspreads and poo poo. You can even narrow the wall color down to several choices and let the kid pick her favorite. It's not an all or nothing deal.
Boy it's a good thing TJ is leaving the room. I hope they don't do too much damage to the room they're building when this mild disagreement over decorating escalates into the kind of violent confrontation this sort of disagreement inevitably becomes.

F Minus

What about Ted's needs?

Macanudo

Pretty good.

Mark Trail

"That...doesn't sound like good news, Joe."

Mary Worth

Jesus Toby how low an opinion do you have of your husband that the idea that someone would actually like him is that impossible to you?

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I'm sure they can reschedule Rex's three patients.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

manero posted:

Hello friend and welcome to the (newspaper) comic strip thread! What's the name of this comic?

All Quiet On the Homefront.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Andy Capp

November 22, 1957

Heathcliff

Found actual old Heathcliff from the 70s!

Ballard Street

October 9, 2002

Outbursts of Everett True

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i wasn't even aware toby and the professor got married, when did that happen?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

lol welp

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i wasn't even aware toby and the professor got married, when did that happen?

They might have been married when introduced as characters back in the day.
https://www.markcarlson-ghost.com/index.php/2017/04/10/mary-worth-history/

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

And as a special Retail supplement, let's look back at the history of the Annoying Blond Kid with the Glasses!

So long, Annoying Blond Kid! You were another seasonal worker whose name no one ever bothered to learn!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nice Gilchrist reference.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Heathcliff

Found actual old Heathcliff from the 70s!

That's the stuff. The bland, bland stuff.

Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (August 22, 1931)

Peanuts (January 6, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 12-13, 1931)

Thimble Theater (July 18-20, 1935)

And now, a thing I found...

The 1922 Seattle Times called this "Grimes", but come on, y'all, that's Swedish cartoon legend Adamson (a.k.a. Silent Sam). And yet, for several months in this paper, it's carrying a name that I've never seen in references before. It's always interesting to stumble across something familiar flying under the "wrong" name. (November 6, 1922)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

CannonFodder posted:

Is that a "The mom predicts Lottie and Sonny are gonna get married and ruin the mom's Christmas" thing? Lottie is married to Mystery!
Ruin every Christmas, presumably. Although Lottie only stated that mystery was her boyfriend, so who knows what the future holds?

howe_sam posted:

She's off doing Lord Bath's Excellence awards(was this Bobbins linked to already?).
I did link to it in the last thread, although I probably should have brought it up in this one. But hey, she's made an appearance at the climax of things! I'm sure shell prove a voice of moderation and rationality in this moment of cris-sorry, I couldn't finish that with a straight face.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (January 6, 1972)

Panel 3 really needs to be "Listen, Pattie, I hear what you're saying and all but, like, a decade ago I couldn't attend this school"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAXLCwJCugA

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah
https://joshreads.com/2007/04/metapost-when-ian-met-toby/

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

now i remember, i was thinking of the arc with dawn and her professor

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Glorified Scrivener posted:

So it's still :justpost: right?

Sam's Strip is a short lived strip from the early 1960's. It's about comic strips. It was by Mort Walker (Beetle Bailey, Hi and Lois) and Jerry Dumas (Sam and Silo). The main characters in this were re-booted into Sam and Silo in 1977, without the meta-humor.

Foxtrot is a favorite of mine, though I managed to never live anywhere a paper carried it until it went Sunday only. Let's start back at the beginning.

This is a good post! I am definitely looking forward to Ye Olde Foxtrot!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm impressed and a little jealous that, through some means or another (he only cites some storylines as being collected and reprinted), this fellow has read a long-running drama strip from the beginning.

This is a neat article. I've had a suspicion I'd like, or at least appreciate, comics like Mary Worth more if I could read great big chunks of them at once, especially those that introduce major or currently-relevant characters (even if they're laaaaaaaame)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The base joke is funny, but the execution is, uuuuh...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set unwinds.

Working Daze is fooling itself.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix will have its people call your people.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set unwinds.

are they in the hospital?

someone rex and rover this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It's not actually a spa that's just what they're calling a normal hotel.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Crab meat is considered upscale cuisine in South Korea today. The context of the conversation implies that Dharma is buying but I didn't have enough space to make that explicit. I've heard that eating at a crab restaurant here is only about half as much here compared to, say, Finland, but it's important to remember that eating at restaurants in South Korea in general is very cheap.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9f94S5FLMk

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

God I love that series.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Hey, I just wanna make sure this little guy doesn't get left behind in the last thread:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Discendo Vox posted:

That varies heavily by jurisdiction, and I think they only apply to initial homebuilders most of the time. The closet deathtrap's kosher! They just can't list it as a bedroom when they sell the house.

Interesting, thanks! It's been the rule everywhere I've lived, so I thought it was a thing. :tipshat:

Still, I'd think that two firefighters would want a second egress for any room where someone sleeps, but apparently not in the Luanniverse.

Tunicate posted:

are they in the hospital?

someone rex and rover this

American Standard and Kohler are both companies that make bathroom fixtures, including the jetted tubs that are sometimes called spas (in the US; not sure about elsewhere), so I think its just that in the Dinette Setters' world the two meanings of the word "spa" are conflated.

Fake edit: turns out that the same Kohler who started the bathtub company did start a resort-spa, so I'm not sure where that leaves the joke.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I should mention that for years, since first hearing of its history, I have long sought an available archive of Apple Mary, Mary Worth's original incarnation. If any of you have any idea of where I might find one, please let me know!

Darthemed posted:

Nice Gilchrist reference.

idgi

JethroMcB posted:

Panel 3 really needs to be "Listen, Pattie, I hear what you're saying and all but, like, a decade ago I couldn't attend this school"

That's pretty close to what the point of the comic is, if I'm interpreting it correctly.

Vargo posted:

Hey, I just wanna make sure this little guy doesn't get left behind in the last thread:

Ohhh, thanks, I remember when I pulled him out!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 4, 2019

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

Honestly, I agree and it's what kept me from posting it when I discovered it six months ago, but there's a storyline coming up that I think is worth getting into, if nothing else but as a good contrast to some other strips in this thread. So maybe I'll just get through that and see what the consensus is.

I like it so far. But even if I didn't, there are plenty of comics in this thread that are way worse and the assholes who post them don't appear to give a poo poo who gets hurt.

For example,

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

PetraCore posted:

The base joke is funny, but the execution is, uuuuh...

Um yeaaaaaah, that's one of those things about strips from the 20s and 30s. This poo poo turns up with depressing regularity.

For those of you just joining us: When I first started posting OOW, and we first started running into problematic stereotype humor, I put it to an informal vote in the thread. Presenting pop culture history warts and all won out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

I like it so far. But even if I didn't, there are plenty of comics in this thread that are way worse and the assholes who post them don't appear to give a poo poo who gets hurt.

For example,

It's a kid's room! It's not going to be low-key by default! Your precious low-key wall colors are going to be offset by cartoon bedding and toys everywhere and :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TofuDiva posted:

If there isn't a window, it isn't safe or legal as anyone's bedroom.
I've never heard of this rule before. What's the rationale behind it? My bedroom doesn't have a window.

Discendo Vox posted:

I should mention that for years, since first hearing of its history, I have long sought an available archive of Apple Mary, Mary Worth's original incarnation. If any of you have any idea of where I might find one, please let me know!
I'm guessing it's not going to be easy to find given that King Features continues to insist that Apple Mary has absolutely nothing to do with Mary Worth despite seemingly owning the rights to both comics anyway. :iiam:

I don't think Evans knows what colour puce actually is. It sounds awful but it's just a sort of pale purplish pink.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
"DUMPSTER GREASE"

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think Evans knows what colour puce actually is. It sounds awful but it's just a sort of pale purplish pink.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

I've never heard of this rule before. What's the rationale behind it? My bedroom doesn't have a window.
It's a second way out in case of a fire. A door heading outside would work too, but most homes aren't built that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Technically I think you could get away with having just a door leading outside, with no connection to the rest of the house (ala that lovely roommate storytime).