Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Thread title delivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

YOU DON'T CAST KNIVES OR SWORDS OR ANY TOOLS LIKE THAT

tools of this type are forged! if you cast them, you end up with something super brittle and hardly suitable for its intended purpose of chopping and slashing and hitting! even back in ancient rome, when a good sword was some of the highest technology on the planet, they would only use casting for cheap disposable things like the bronze heads on the spears you'd give your slaves!

Casting bronze doesn't make it brittle it does the opposite, makes it too soft to be a weapon. You need to whack it with a hammer a bunch to work-harden it so it will take an edge.

(Also you don't give bronze to your slaves, that poo poo's expensive.)

Now iron, yes. Cast iron is brittle and useless for weapons or armour.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Burt Sexual posted:

That gave me an unreasonable amount of anxiety.

Any video worthy of this thread (and this one truly is) causes reasonable levels of anxiety.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7lgo1LbpCs&t=138s

I couldn’t not share this guy who is passionate about minerals (2:18).

OSHA content @ 9:30

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 4, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7lgo1LbpCs&t=138s

I couldn’t not share this guy who is passionate about minerals (2:18).

Dude even had a Boron shirt ready to go for the segment. Geologists are always fun to talk to because nobody gets into the field unless they have a blinding passion for rocks.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

Now iron, yes. Cast iron is brittle and useless for weapons or armour.

Tell that to the sixteen men and women I’ve killed by hitting them with my frying pan.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Skippy McPants posted:

Dude even had a Boron shirt ready to go for the segment. Geologists are always fun to talk to because nobody gets into the field unless they have a blinding passion for rocks.

:hai:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Platystemon posted:

He has an entire series of being bad at making things.

He almost killed his friends with pickles.

Can you link that one?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grem posted:

Can you link that one?

Making pickles salted water cucumbers
Eating the pickles
A professional explains how he hosed up

With newfound confidence, he fails again and again.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 4, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Australia survives another stupid day.

https://twitter.com/BOM_NT/status/1080626431036743680

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ I literally went into a store to buy some poo poo and it was 45°. Came out ten minutes later and it was about 20°.

Confused as gently caress.

Sagebrush posted:

tools of this type are forged! if you cast them, you end up with something super brittle and hardly suitable for its intended purpose of chopping and slashing and hitting! even back in ancient rome, when a good sword was some of the highest technology on the planet, they would only use casting for cheap disposable things like the bronze heads on the spears you'd give your slaves!

aaaaaaaaa

[spoiler]i know you cannot forge obsidian, i'm just ranting about this because every loving movie does it and it makes no sense[/spoiler]

The orc swords in Lord of the Rings.

Yep, just pour that metal into an open mold. That'll be fine.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think that was the point. They're churning out poo poo swords the same way they're churning out poo poo orcs. Just get enough of them out there, and if they can get one good whack in and kill a human, job done. They're only expecting the swords, and the orcs, to last minutes in a fight.

Orc Armies trained by Billy Bishops Flight School.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/lAGjY7i.mp4

My man here has clearly done this a few times.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
dnag dude lift w/ knees :(

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

TBF, another scene shows them whacking those blanks with hammers a few times.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

spaceblancmange posted:

How is stabby formed?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Skippy McPants posted:

They're usually pretty gneiss guys to boot

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

They're usually pretty gneiss guys to boot

Geology puns totally rock!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

aaaaaaaaa

i know you cannot forge obsidian, i'm just ranting about this because every loving movie does it and it makes no sense

in ancient rome cast bronze made better swords than iron; iron and the iron age are only a thing because there's a lot more iron laying around and it can be forged without complex metallurgy as soon as you figure out how to get a fire hot enough. this enabled you to quickly and inexpensively arm 1000 peasants to stand in front of your few dozen noble bros with your heirloom bronze weapons, even though their early iron weapons were dull, rusty and brittle in comparison.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
We've recently seen train driving, now discussing iron forging, who's taking up truckfuckling so we can do this title justice?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Sagebrush posted:

aaaaaaaaa

i know you cannot forge obsidian, i'm just ranting about this because every loving movie does it and it makes no sense

Oh hey Lindy, didn't know you were a goon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E6TzT0eCYs

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ixian posted:

We've recently seen train driving, now discussing iron forging, who's taking up truckfuckling so we can do this title justice?
Tracking my delivery now...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hm, that explains why the shipping was so expensive for my new custom made-to-fit fleshlight.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Time to level up your weather map.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ixian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isjQgTuUnwU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sagebrush posted:

Only if you try to use the sword to pay for a 5 dollar footlong. Defacing money isn't illegal, but altering it and trying to spend it is.
If I was working at sbubby's and someone offered me a sword in trade for a sandwich I'd do it and add bacon for free.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

Re the littoral combat ship, congress wanted it to cost less so they looked at all the features and said “cut this, cut this, cut this” and one of the things they cut to reduce cost was the galvanic corrosion protection system. For reference, the lcs is made of steel and aluminium, and when you have two different metals in contact with eachother in an electrolyte (such as sea water) you get a voltage differential between the two that causes oxidation (and hence rusting) exceedingly quickly. As such, by removing the galvanic corrosion system to save 10 grands with of copper wire and a transformer, they instead made the hull rust through in barely a year. Designing things by committee strikes again!

lol active galvanic corrosion systems aren't even needed

just a couple hundred pounds of anodes bolted to the hull

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Pounded in the anode by a next generation warfighter

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

you don't even need zinc any more, just cheap, light aluminum anodes

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

How do you gently caress up making pickles that badly??? Oh. That's how. It's actually amazing.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

What the actual gently caress :catstare:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

What the actual gently caress :catstare:

I can't bring myself to click this but I assume some truckfuckler did this because it makes a weird sounding exhaust note and not, please dear baby jesus, for other reasons...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Let me tell you about dragons

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dagen H posted:

Let me tell you about dragons

a car isn't a truck

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

a car isn't a truck

What about utes

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Jet Jaguar posted:

After the posts about signaling in the UK I am not sure this genius or terrifying.

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1080761345157541888

My take on this is that the reasons it looks scary are the engineering aspects of it. The layout looks pretty standard.

It's a flyover. That inherently reduces risk. The lines down the middle appear to go straight on, and the ones on the outside go eventually off to the left. So it's a left hand turn, and from the other direction a right hand merge.

If you had to design a road layout with a left hand turn and two way traffic you could just slap the roads together. But that means to change direction you always have to cross lanes of traffic. So you've got conflict points. A manageable risk at low speed and with low traffic numbers. But if you had high speeds and high traffic numbers the risks are too great. You don't get many straight junctions on motorways here. I don't know how it is in the us on freeways.

That's why the lines here cross over the top. Otherwise stuff going straight on from our perspective (on the left hand track) would have to cross over the lines of the stuff coming from the left. In the setup in this video there are fewer conflicting moves.

What is interesting to me is there are no lineside signals, so it's either in cab signalling or automatic train operation. Judging by the speed the train is approaching the junction when the points aren't set I'm guessing it's ATO of some description.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

What about utes

That's a weird way to spell El Camino.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

OrthoTrot posted:

My take on this is that the reasons it looks scary are the engineering aspects of it. The layout looks pretty standard.

It's a flyover. That inherently reduces risk. The lines down the middle appear to go straight on, and the ones on the outside go eventually off to the left. So it's a left hand turn, and from the other direction a right hand merge.

If you had to design a road layout with a left hand turn and two way traffic you could just slap the roads together. But that means to change direction you always have to cross lanes of traffic. So you've got conflict points. A manageable risk at low speed and with low traffic numbers. But if you had high speeds and high traffic numbers the risks are too great. You don't get many straight junctions on motorways here. I don't know how it is in the us on freeways.

That's why the lines here cross over the top. Otherwise stuff going straight on from our perspective (on the left hand track) would have to cross over the lines of the stuff coming from the left. In the setup in this video there are fewer conflicting moves.

What is interesting to me is there are no lineside signals, so it's either in cab signalling or automatic train operation. Judging by the speed the train is approaching the junction when the points aren't set I'm guessing it's ATO of some description.

I think it's significantly sped up - watch the road.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

a car isn't a truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ixian posted:

I can't bring myself to click this but I assume some truckfuckler did this because it makes a weird sounding exhaust note and not, please dear baby jesus, for other reasons...

You should watch it, that Fleshlight really gets taken beyond design specifications.