Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

They were just putting on a reenactment of the Station Night Club Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Re the littoral combat ship, congress wanted it to cost less so they looked at all the features and said “cut this, cut this, cut this” and one of the things they cut to reduce cost was the galvanic corrosion protection system. For reference, the lcs is made of steel and aluminium, and when you have two different metals in contact with eachother in an electrolyte (such as sea water) you get a voltage differential between the two that causes oxidation (and hence rusting) exceedingly quickly. As such, by removing the galvanic corrosion system to save 10 grands with of copper wire and a transformer, they instead made the hull rust through in barely a year. Designing things by committee strikes again!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

haveblue posted:

They literally entombed it in concrete which was sufficient to remove the immediate danger to the rest of the plant. The entombing was done hastily and was never meant to be a permanent solution, so it was eventually replaced with a more sound and long-lasting tomb that will allow the site to be gradually cleaned up inside it.

Properly decommissioning a nuclear reactor can take decades, you can't just flip the off switch and peace out even if it hasn't been damaged by a major accident.

Here's a German (sorry) documentary on the decommissioning and deconstruction of a German NPP, and it's so German, it actually hurts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpUjNayFJvM

Really soon, you start to comprehend the scale of the effort underway, despite looking fairly inconspicuous. Every single loving gram and scrap of debris has to be weighed and scanned for radiation countless times, same thing for every single tool for cutting / chiseling / deconstructing (which usually have to be scrapped themselves afterwards, because you cannot reuse even the most "mildly-hot" materials), and the monitoring, red-tape, and paperwork behind it all is absolutely staggering.

Man, I'm glad Germany bailed on nuclear power so expediently after Fukushima, what a great example to all the other nations that will surely follow suit in short order :downs:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baronjutter posted:

I declined the offer to scramble around on the various roofs of this massive cathedral with zero safety precautions.

That's no way to get OSHA famous.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Just lol at the people who think building that rusting ship was an exercise in anything but shifting tax dollars to mates. A ship falling apart that fast is great business because then you need a new ship.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The best bit is that one was built by Australians.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

:staredog:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Drone_Fragger posted:

Re the littoral combat ship, congress wanted it to cost less so they looked at all the features and said “cut this, cut this, cut this” and one of the things they cut to reduce cost was the galvanic corrosion protection system. For reference, the lcs is made of steel and aluminium, and when you have two different metals in contact with eachother in an electrolyte (such as sea water) you get a voltage differential between the two that causes oxidation (and hence rusting) exceedingly quickly. As such, by removing the galvanic corrosion system to save 10 grands with of copper wire and a transformer, they instead made the hull rust through in barely a year. Designing things by committee strikes again!

You forgot the best bit, the engineering report about the steel engine mounts and aluminium superstructure simply said “the ship is disintegrating at a molecular level”. That’s engineer for “gently caress you”.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Because tryhard caring about an, at this point, 10 year old videogame, is way less cool than being a train driving iron forging truckfuckling badass like most of the posters itt

Oy! Wut's goin' on oe'r 'ere?

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

edit- uhhh actually i mean hello my foremen and forewomen and forepeople, how is the laboring today? ah, arduous and physical as always? perfect. i love to exert myself, via my muscles, which are developed for this sort of thing.

Ah! Never moind! Jolly good mate!

*Hikes up truckfuckling pants and saunters off

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
OSHA friends I am off to my job at the steel liftingwerks. I hope you all have a safe day truckfuckling.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Hexyflexy posted:

You forgot the best bit, the engineering report about the steel engine mounts and aluminium superstructure simply said “the ship is disintegrating at a molecular level”. That’s engineer for “gently caress you”.

Aren't we all disintegrating on a molecular level

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would like to point out that galvanic corrosion was first observed in warships, in the eighteenth century.

Pre‐industrial people could have told Austal they were making a mistake.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Is truckfuckling when the (pink) mama truck suckles the baby trucks of a different manufacturer?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My new year's resolution is to get senior truckfuckler on my cv.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Platystemon posted:

I would like to point out that galvanic corrosion was first observed in warships, in the eighteenth century.

Pre‐industrial people could have told Austal they were making a mistake.

if the ship manufacturer is the one who has the repair contract they probably took all that poo poo out with a smile on their faces if it meant a larger repair bill later.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
It's not even just the hull, it's also mainly a critical component of the propulsion system, the aluminum water jet outlets.

I was reading that they fail in such a way that high-pressure seawater gets pumped directly into what's supposed to be a dry cavity between hulls, the same area the magnetic cloaking coils are, and coincidentally also the area the galvanic mitigation loops (?? on terminology) would be, had they been ordered :allears:

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 3, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
:australia:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Australian shipbuilders, American contractors, funding and labor.

I heard a story that the engines sat exposed on the dock for like 3 months because they were not ready to install them yet, that is how they rusted as they were supposed to be stored in a climate controlled warehouse.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Re the littoral combat ship, congress wanted it to cost less so they looked at all the features and said “cut this, cut this, cut this” and one of the things they cut to reduce cost was the galvanic corrosion protection system.

I really don't think you can blame this on Congress. The LCS procurement was seriously hosed up (and the class is pretty much useless), but Congress didn't go in and say "Oh, yeah, delete this subsystem that keeps the impeller housings from disintegrating."

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a601555.pdf

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

quote:

How to deploy and employ the LCS is still to be determined...

The LCS was sold on the basis of needing only 40 personnel in the crew. The first operational LCS deployment and joint exercise (RIMPAC 2010) consisted of a crew approaching 100, and with two crews, that number is nearing 200 to operate one LCS.

The biggest problem facing the LCS program, however, is conceptual. Several years and billions of dollars into it, the Navy still hasn't figured out what the coastal combatant is really for. Today, they're no closer to an answer.
:newlol:

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 3, 2019

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

That's the beauty of it, it doesn't DO anything!

(except funnel megabucks into the right pockets)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

redgubbinz posted:

That's the beauty of it, it doesn't DO anything!

(except funnel megabucks into the right pockets)

Isn't every currently known US military project some form of disaster? Like, I can't even think of one that's supposed to be going well?

Because along with the F35, that could also be describing the Zumwalt-class, the Gerald Ford aircraft carrier, the next generation artillery projects, the laser projects, the rail guns, ballistic missile defense, etc. etc. etc.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Failson posted:

Isn't every currently known US military project some form of disaster? Like, I can't even think of one that's supposed to be going well?

Because along with the F35, that could also be describing the Zumwalt-class, the Gerald Ford aircraft carrier, the next generation artillery projects, the laser projects, the rail guns, ballistic missile defense, etc. etc. etc.

Stop being so negative. Despite all these issues, we somehow manage to keep killing people in third world countries just fine.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so do other 3rd world countries

:thunk:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Failson posted:

the gerald ford class is fine, the laser works as advertised and is deployed, the railgun was never really more than an experiment, etc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Ford also gave us this classic video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J48cfZxCOoQ

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

The Ford also gave us this classic video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J48cfZxCOoQ

What an awful presenter

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Thread title delivers

schmug
May 20, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Thread title delivers

ahahahaha

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i like the navy's laser because it's controlled with what looks like an xbox controller in front of some cut rate gaming setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyUh_xSjvXQ&t=37s

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

That reminds me of a work story from last year. I used to do theatre tech work at my university for beer money. We were doing a walkthrough with the fire marshal to show off the demos for the pyrotechnics for an upcoming show. Everything went great until we got to the spark curtain demo hanging in the air. The batten was set, the pyro guy hit the button, and the shower went off.

Straight up into the catwalks. The wrong direction. Turns out "this end up" was not the same as "direction of flames" on this particular pyro. Pyro guy was pissed at himself, fire marshal chuckled, and we fixed it for the show.

That's my funny pyro story.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

luxury handset posted:

i like the navy's laser because it's controlled with what looks like an xbox controller in front of some cut rate gaming setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyUh_xSjvXQ&t=37s

They actually DID replace some equipment with off the shelf xbox controllers. Periscope equipment on subs and the Army laser program:

https://gizmodo.com/why-the-navy-plans-to-use-12-year-old-xbox-360-controll-1818511278

They have enough buttons and the pullaway cords mean they're easy to hotswap if something happens. They're not milspec at all, but the custom controller boxes they were using to run periscopes in submarines ran 38k A PIECE. They can just stock up on a dozen spares. Or go steal them from somebody's bunk or the rec room.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Thread title delivers

We were due.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gang tag requested

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
truckfucklers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Relentless posted:

They actually DID replace some equipment with off the shelf xbox controllers. Periscope equipment on subs and the Army laser program:

https://gizmodo.com/why-the-navy-plans-to-use-12-year-old-xbox-360-controll-1818511278

They have enough buttons and the pullaway cords mean they're easy to hotswap if something happens. They're not milspec at all, but the custom controller boxes they were using to run periscopes in submarines ran 38k A PIECE. They can just stock up on a dozen spares. Or go steal them from somebody's bunk or the rec room.

Yeah, the game industry spent millions of dollars and years of time on UX and input device research, why not take advantage of that.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The Bloop posted:

gang tag requested

sneakyfrog posted:

truckfucklers

Seconded

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Relevant to the military spending talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

DiHK posted:

Is truckfuckling when the (pink) mama truck suckles the baby trucks of a different manufacturer?

It's this classic Brad Neely bit but with a monster truck instead.

Splicer posted:

My new year's resolution is to get senior truckfuckler on my cv.

incidentally i have a video for this as well. it sounds like the truck backfires a few times, are there any other risks associated with this kind of truckfuckery? like it's obviously not good i'm just curious why.

B) thanks friend. happy new threadtitlesmas day to all!

haveblue posted:

Also that video game is awesome.

This is 100% an accurate representation of the game. you will spend half your time trying to get trucks in places trucks should not go and half of the other time looking at explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

haveblue posted:

Yeah, the game industry spent millions of dollars and years of time on UX and input device research, why not take advantage of that.

The other side of that coin is that you can hand one to a new recruit and 99% of them will pick it up in seconds. Right stick controls the aiming, left stick controls movement, assign zoom buttons, use the triggers for sensitivity modifiers, DONE. A half sheet of paper detailing what each button does taped to the wall and that's an entire training manual that's sitting in the desk drawer collecting dust.