Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone ever play Star Trek: Elite Force? I remember that getting rave reviews back in the day and now it seems to have disappeared.

I only remember trying to get Klingon Honor Guard working on my piece of poo poo computer, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Negrostrike posted:

Quake is bae

Mei is bae ™, © Blizzard

I liked Elite Force, and I still haven't even seen any Voyager. Pretty solid scripted high production value shooter game with the Borgs at the time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone ever play Star Trek: Elite Force? I remember that getting rave reviews back in the day and now it seems to have disappeared.

I tried the Mac version recently. It seemed pretty cool, though I have zero experience with Star Trek outside of knowing the base concepts and race names I guess.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Yeah it's another solid Raven fps. Can be a bit boring in bits but has lots of StarTrek lore stuff and you can disintegrate neelix.
It had the neat mechanic of borg guys you can shoot x number of times with a weapon before they become permanently invincible to it and you have to switch, it was interesting resource management until they dump it and give you a boring anti-borg gun.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

skasion posted:

Can they make some kind of upsampling algorithm for Hexens gameplay to make it suck less rear end

Play it with Wrath of Cronos :black101:

I'm doing a run through at the moment and it's loving great. You get a load of extra powers, there are extra weapons, special enemy types, everything is way more fun. You still have to play Seven Portals though which I always end up attempting before just noclipping through the last door to Shadow Wood

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Convex posted:

Play it with Wrath of Cronos :black101:

I'm doing a run through at the moment and it's loving great. You get a load of extra powers, there are extra weapons, special enemy types, everything is way more fun. You still have to play Seven Portals though which I always end up attempting before just noclipping through the last door to Shadow Wood

wrath of cronos rules, confirmed

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

kirbysuperstar posted:

I tried the Mac version recently. It seemed pretty cool, though I have zero experience with Star Trek outside of knowing the base concepts and race names I guess.

Wrath of Khan is a movie that I think you'll enjoy, hell, who doesn't? It's one of the all time great films, and I haven't seen Star Trek 1 either don't let the 2 fool you, everyone needs to see Wrath of Khan.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of Quake 2, I've currently got it installed with some port. Not sure which one, but it's a mostly vanilla game. Anywho, is there a way to get rawinput for the mouse? There is this weird acceleration curve where my mouse is slow slow slow and then my dude does 4 360s in a row because it ramps up too fast.

Edit: Also, I picked up Duke Nukem Forever on sale. Not even sure if/when i'll play it. How good is the game as a shooter? I don't care about plot/characterization/ethics or any of that poo poo. I've seen reviews on Youtube that go from "this game sucks because the jokes are bad and it's sexist" to "it's actually not a terrible shooter." I don't care about the former.

The only good bits in DNF are the parts where you get to shoot things in a battle arena and there's like 5 of those in the entire game. Even with the regenerating health most of the weapons feel fun to shoot even if it's nothing mind-blowing.

Everything else in the game is a thousand garbage gimmicks and I've never had any idea why people say the DLC is better when it's even more gimmicks and jumping puzzles.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Goes from yeah my imagination can fill in most of this to yep that's made of plastic.

I still think the upscaled one looks good, but then the whole Hexen aesthetic looks like terrible 70s/80s fantasy films to me, and that's well in line with those. :v:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

chaosapiant posted:

It's a pretty great shooter, well worth playing. Sadly, it's also in licensing hell because Activision lost the Star Trek license.

The multiplayer component was called "Holomatch", spent hours and hours on it. It was basically Quake 3 Arena meets Star Trek, letting you shoot phasers at other players in Voyager's cargo holds.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 4, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Youre also irritatingly fragile in DNF so enemies dont come in large waves very often which is just sad.

Theres a part fairly early on where duke makes fun of being offered halo armor and I was like, dude, a stiff breeze kills you put it on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Wrath of Khan is a movie that I think you'll enjoy, hell, who doesn't? It's one of the all time great films, and I haven't seen Star Trek 1 either don't let the 2 fool you, everyone needs to see Wrath of Khan.

Strictly speaking I have watched Generations and First Contact but I was in hospital and half-awake so it doesn't really count.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Flannelette posted:

These look pretty good but I don't like it, the low res pixelated graphics these old games had is covering up for a lot of missing detail and depth in the art. So even if you upscale it really well you end up with a sharp digitsed 90s 3d model look which always looked bad and would be better as a modern 3d model with depth and PBR. And it makes the flatness of the architecture really stand out when it was hidden sort of in the low res wall textures. Running a normal and occlusion map over the walls would probably help.

Goes from yeah my imagination can fill in most of this to yep that's made of plastic.

I get what you're saying, but in motion/gameplay it would probably be just fine.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The thing I learned with the starcraft remaster is the low res graphics kinda just made us see something completely different from what was intended. Like honestly as a kid the Marines were just their shoulderpads most of the time.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Could someone fill me in on how the mouselook works when playing games that didn't have it, like Doom?

For example, say I see an imp up on the second story chilling with his bros, but then he gets all aggressive due to my sweet armor threads and starts throwing balls of death at me. If I use my mouse and look up at him and start shooting, is it the same as when you'd use your keyboard to look in the general direction of the baddie and it would "aim" up for you?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

crondaily posted:

Could someone fill me in on how the mouselook works when playing games that didn't have it, like Doom?

For example, say I see an imp up on the second story chilling with his bros, but then he gets all aggressive due to my sweet armor threads and starts throwing balls of death at me. If I use my mouse and look up at him and start shooting, is it the same as when you'd use your keyboard to look in the general direction of the baddie and it would "aim" up for you?

Doom just automatically points your gun bullets to the elevation of the enemy. Its why you can very comfortably play Doom without a mouse at all, its basically a twins stick shooter from first person view the only aiming you need to be responsible for is aiming towards the enemy in general.

Later games introduced elevation that mattered and didn't have mouselook and the results are... bad. TekWar bad.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

In doom all objects had infinite height so it used raycasting to check if youd hit or miss on a 2d plane. The z-axis only mattered for the renderer.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Great, thanks. Picked up doom/doom2/FD/half life/hexen/heretic/q1/q2/blood/ROTC during the steam/gog sales because I don't have any of my disks anymore and was curious about that when I was playing through Doom.

Man these games are great, Dusk is a good time but something about these classics once you get them running on some sort of source port just brings me back.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
To add to this: (some) modern source ports like GZDoom implement "true" Z-axis aiming, and also prevent your view from being completely distorted when you look up/down, making the game behave like a true 3D environment. I just can't play without a Z-axis, it really fucks with my hand-eye coordination. The first shooters I really played a lot were X-Wing and Descent, so I was used to being able to use all axes. I couldn't get into Doom when I was a kid thanks to that, and Duke 3D and Outlaws were the first 'classic' FPS games I played, and I always enabled full mouselook (even though it distorted the poo poo out of everything).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.pcgamer.com/metal-gear-doom-will-attempt-to-recreate-the-1987-stealth-classic-in-first-person/

Hrrngh, Colonel, there's demons here, hrrngh.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

crondaily posted:

Doom had mouse look from day one.

In engines that don't add in vertical mouse look, it uses the default vertical autoaim which is much more active than horizontal autoaim is - and if you're trying to use a projectile weapon like the rocket launcher it may get aimed in the wrong place to hit what you wanted. In engines that bring in vertical mouse look, the aiming will obey where you point it more so you can do things like a point a rocket up to the imp on the ledge instead of it aiming to the imp in front of the cliff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXTAkpnXpwA

and then venom snake was a demon

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hrrmmmgh demons?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

fishmech posted:

Doom had mouse look from day one.

In engines that don't add in vertical mouse look, it uses the default vertical autoaim which is much more active than horizontal autoaim is - and if you're trying to use a projectile weapon like the rocket launcher it may get aimed in the wrong place to hit what you wanted. In engines that bring in vertical mouse look, the aiming will obey where you point it more so you can do things like a point a rocket up to the imp on the ledge instead of it aiming to the imp in front of the cliff.

My bad, that makes more sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dying in OG Doom because a Cacodemon is floating above (but behind) another enemy and can shoot fireballs at you while you can not shoot it due to infinitely tall monsters is very very frustrating.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Finished the second episode of Dusk just now and did the first level of episode 3. It reminded me of Daikatana with that sword and crossbow combo and I'm not really sure how I feel about that so far!!!!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flannelette posted:

It's funny how the neral network inverted the scale pattern between both snakes.

0 rows returned posted:

In doom all objects had infinite height so it used raycasting to check if youd hit or miss on a 2d plane. The z-axis only mattered for the renderer.

Not entirely true; you do aim on a 2D horizontal plane, then if you hit something in 2D it computes the vertical slope to hit it, then it shoots. Now for hitscans it normally works*, but for projectiles it means that they can hit a ledge and never hit the enemy. Projectiles are also one of the rare things that are fully checked for collision in 3D, which means that you can pass under a fireball without getting hit, while you can't pass under the cacodemon that fired it.

* Because of a bug that prevents hitscan traces from getting intercepted by floors and ceilings. It's why you can stand up right on the opening of the Icon of Sin's brain, but outside, shoot your pistol, and hit the Romero head that you don't actually have a straight line to. I think the deal is that if you get aimed down, then the trace will continue along the floor, and if you get aimed up, the trace will continue along the ceiling. This was fixed in ZDoom, though.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 4, 2019

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
did id, GT, activision or bethesda ever make prints of the original quake cover art? i want it in a frame

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The Quake shotgun was good when it released simply because of what it implied. Every FPS at that point had a standard pattern of weapon 1 being your melee or weak infinite ammo peashooter, weapon 2 being your starting pistol or equivalent, and 3 being your shotgun. Doom set that as a standard that pretty much every FPS I can think of at that point except Hexen followed.

Then you boot up Quake for the first time and the game went "This poo poo is going to be so serious you're going to need a shotgun right out of the loving gate." It's a fun little bit of one-upmanship from the originators to the imitators.

Also I really want to see that neural network redo the Heretic sprites. Iron Liches would look amazing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Wild T posted:

The Quake shotgun was good when it released simply because of what it implied. Every FPS at that point had a standard pattern of weapon 1 being your melee or weak infinite ammo peashooter, weapon 2 being your starting pistol or equivalent, and 3 being your shotgun. Doom set that as a standard that pretty much every FPS I can think of at that point except Hexen followed.

Then you boot up Quake for the first time and the game went "This poo poo is going to be so serious you're going to need a shotgun right out of the loving gate." It's a fun little bit of one-upmanship from the originators to the imitators.

Except that even shotgun wasn't any more powerful than the pistol - or at least didn't feel any more powerful. Even the basic enemies needed two close-range shots to take down.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Have they run the upscaling AI on Doom's splash screen yet? I wanna see what the AI would think the details should be.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

Have they run the upscaling AI on Doom's splash screen yet? I wanna see what the AI would think the details should be.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm with that guy in thinking that the game looks better as blurry sprites. The assets just weren't designed to be up-resed and look kind of silly when they are.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

I feel like the quake shotgun is functionally a pistol without the aiming requirements of hitting a single pixel shot in a game that many people played with a keyboard at the time, I definitely did before half-life introduced me to wasd. It works for what it is but it's not powerful.

I think Arcane Dimensions has some weapon tweaks that makes things like the shotgun feel better, but I haven't played much of that, which I should probably do since it's flat out gorgeous level design.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

There's a dirty rumor going around (accompanied with the usual easily-faked screenshot of an email from GabeN) claiming that Erik Wolpaw is back at Valve.

I guess his name is also in the Artifact credits, too.. so, maybe?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

To add to the 'Quake shotgun is pistol equivalent' chat: the weapon has very little spread. So little in fact that there's hardly any enemies found far enough away in the vanilla game to make it matter.

Super shotgun on the other hand sprays pellets like a hydrant.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

0 rows returned posted:

*presses mouth and lips directly against microphone* wrong

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

GuyonthecoucH posted:

I feel like the quake shotgun is functionally a pistol without the aiming requirements of hitting a single pixel shot in a game that many people played with a keyboard at the time, I definitely did before half-life introduced me to wasd. It works for what it is but it's not powerful.

That's pretty much what I think it is as well. Although I like the idea of Quake being the kind of game that just doesn't need Pistols... You're shooting a medieval knight in the face in some weird lovecraftian castle, don't bring a pistol here. You need a shotgun or something more powerful :flame:

I've not found a shooter since that quite has the same asthetic look & feel of Quake. The sequel went into the Sci-Fi world (which was great, but different), Quake 3 then made you take your PC to work so you could use their ADSL and we never quite returned to the Lovecraftian mess of the first game.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

To add to the 'Quake shotgun is pistol equivalent' chat: the weapon has very little spread. So little in fact that there's hardly any enemies found far enough away in the vanilla game to make it matter.

Super shotgun on the other hand sprays pellets like a hydrant.

I liked the base SG + Quad for taking out a bunch of zombies at once, if I was out of grenades/rockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

manero posted:

There's a dirty rumor going around (accompanied with the usual easily-faked screenshot of an email from GabeN) claiming that Erik Wolpaw is back at Valve.

I guess his name is also in the Artifact credits, too.. so, maybe?
Jay Pinkerton (Portal 2, TF2) came back sometime last year as well, so if all is true that's like half the Great Valve Writer Exodus Of 2017-ish reverted. (Marc Laidlaw's retired and Chet Faliszek is IIRC heading up a branch of Bossa Studios working on some weird AI-based storytelling thing.)