Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Entropy238 posted:

I'm still not quite sure what LUA is, how it makes all the new poo poo with the engine possible and why nobody thought to use it before now but it's great to see everything that's happening.

Lua (Portuguese for "Moon") is a scripting language. It's been used for a long time now and is included in a ton of games.

The big interest is that it makes it relatively simple to change how the game works; at least the parts of the game that are made accessible to Lua (that's where MGEXE enters play). When you have access to the original data and functions of the engine, you can override them to change how they work, add more stuff, or inversely remove stuff without leaving gaping holes. It considerably lowers the barrier to entry for code modifications; the kind of stuff that before the average person could only hope to get by begging hrnchmd to implement it in the MCP can now be done with moderate effort by anyone who has some basic knowledge of programming. No need for you to do all the reverse-engineering, disassembling, reassembling, patching, DLL-injecting, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Gonna be cool when morrowind is basically completely renewed into a whole new game before Todd "The Always Online Paid Mod Godd" Howard releases anything on tes6.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Openmw has been in limbo for going on a year now. Progress is slower than before and the new devs are slowly spooling up. Maybe in a few years theyll get up to speed but right now MWSE-Lua blows it out of the water in terms of QOL. Null also made my transferitem function i requested, so expect a fully featured fallout 4 style quickloot in a few days.

Did you ever release a beta version on discord? I got quickloot for MW and I don't remember where it came from.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Gonna be cool when morrowind is basically completely renewed into a whole new game before Todd "The Always Online Paid Mod Godd" Howard releases anything on tes6.

Sometimes I wonder if any designers at Bethesda are aware of the active community around Morrowind and all the work that's being done.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

Did you ever release a beta version on discord? I got quickloot for MW and I don't remember where it came from.

Yes. New version will be finally safe to use on custom items and maintain repair and enchant status as well as local variables.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Hey all. I finally threw all my mods up on Dropbox and linked them all in one handy place: http://stuporstar.sarahdimento.com/updates/downloads/

I'll figure out if I want to move to :nexus: or something else later.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Average Bear posted:

Valenwood + elswher fully integrated to tamriel rebuilt before they get their own "official" games

Someone's gonna fuckin do akivir before tamriel's games are done

Motherfuckers gonna be out exploring outer planes cause Pyandonea's been played out since 2029

This new stuff makes it sound possible to add in combat schools to complement spell schools, different fighting styles and stuff, that'd be cool

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So like, does Tamriel Rebuilt have actual content or is it just more landmass?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

yeah there are a bunch of quests and dungeons too

i got tangled up in the mainland thieves guild poo poo and there seems to be a lot to do

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Jay Rust posted:

So like, does Tamriel Rebuilt have actual content or is it just more landmass?

The northeast peninsula has content, while the whole of western Morrowind is still just landmass. They seem to be moving through the province clockwise. This is the map taken from their About the Project page:

TR_Mainland is the main polished-and-released Tamriel Rebuilt content, while TR_Preview is in-progress questless landmass.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vavrek posted:

The northeast peninsula has content, while the whole of western Morrowind is still just landmass. They seem to be moving through the province clockwise. This is the map taken from their About the Project page:

TR_Mainland is the main polished-and-released Tamriel Rebuilt content, while TR_Preview is in-progress questless landmass.

it has some quests believe it or not lol, theyre just pretty much entirely localized to the central river section and also a bit buggy

the WIP version has them more or less done, though. if you visit tamriel-rebuilt.org you can freely download the WIP files I'm pretty sure

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I think it's extremely weird you could seemingly casually walk from sheogorad or azura's to tr_mainland. Like the tamriel maps were always just bullshit nerds drawing D&D maps but I always felt like the distance between vvard & the mainland would have been substantially more than vvard - soltheim

also what I really wanna know is if they were originally going to do all morrowind what the gently caress would the main quest look like? What would the great house quests be like? The imperial factions would probably be mostly the same I guess. Temple would be weird.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I think it's extremely weird you could seemingly casually walk from sheogorad or azura's to tr_mainland. Like the tamriel maps were always just bullshit nerds drawing D&D maps but I always felt like the distance between vvard & the mainland would have been substantially more than vvard - soltheim

also what I really wanna know is if they were originally going to do all morrowind what the gently caress would the main quest look like? What would the great house quests be like? The imperial factions would probably be mostly the same I guess. Temple would be weird.

Why would the distance be more? On a worldmap of Tamriel the mainland is not much farther from any point of the coast than Solstheim is.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah but I mean like the distances on this map don't really seem like they'd be anywhere near enough to enforce a quarantine and don't feel particularly like V is as isolated as all the NPCs seem to claim. I guess it's cause I've walked this red gap across to vas and stuff that's up there a couple times, it really feels like part of the same landmass. Depending on like politics or some poo poo that eastern peninsula could have ended up the same district I guess, but then again there's magic gods walkin around.

(yeah the markers are eye searing and show up like poo poo w/e)

Solstheim is a fuckin mess to get to on foot and not worth it without magic. It seems like the green paths, especially the northeast one would be like going to Sheogorad. I mean the northeast one is basically 4 feet of water and seems like once you can get to that island you're basically in the mainland. To get all goonsay the red path to Sheogorad is a minute swim at most with crap skills, that northeast one is literally half the size at this resolution. The southeast one would suck that's borderline too much work to get across. You might be able to island hop from the Gnisis area but that's even more iffy.

Not like a lore argument or anything it's just something that seems like it would feel weird. Isn't Vvard supposed to be mainly off limits because THE THREAT OF THE DEVIL SATAN DAGOTH UR~ NO BOATS MAY LAND EXCEPT CENSUS AND EXCISE I GUESS OR WHEN CAIUS GOES BACK OR SOMETHING VVARDENFEL IS A HOLY RESERVE SET ASIDE BY THE GODS WE JUST OPENED IT UP SOME RECENTLY FOR KICKS

I mean sure people would probably want to try to make that jump for smuggling or whatever Ur or no Ur but :shrug:

I guess I always expected the gap between Vvard and the mainland to be actually a little bigger than the gap between V and Sol, like an actual inner sea. Some of those outlying islands of what's supposedly Vvardenfel is actually closer to the mainland than not. Can you see the mainland from Ebonheart/Vivec/Branora?

I figure I should nuke my install and get TR and see what it's actually like. Those could be like sweet ocean cliffs, that's not really terrain that shows up too much in the game. If I'm gonna do that I might as well do skyrim too.

What's with that Taiwan kinda island in the mid-south east? It's not fully grey like outside Morrowind but it's not in line to show up any time soon?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

You had to become hortator of the five houses, not just the three on the island.
Ordinator armor probably wouldn't have been called "indoril armor" if House Indoril was part of the base game.
Ebonheart wouldn't have been moved.

I think that's it; the rest would have been largely the same, just more of it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Idk weren't most ordinators indoril or maybe not?

If not I guess they would end up with their native bonemold house set. Wonder what the dres house armor and shield would be like. Maybe chuezi would have gotten pauldrons and curiass too. On the other hand it's not like telvanni had their own curiass and shoulderpads but they did get like 4 helmets.

e; poo poo were there ashlanders in the mainland those guys would probably be hard asses

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 4, 2019

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

I guess I always expected the gap between Vvard and the mainland to be actually a little bigger than the gap between V and Sol, like an actual inner sea. Some of those outlying islands of what's supposedly Vvardenfel is actually closer to the mainland than not. Can you see the mainland from Ebonheart/Vivec/Branora?
Same, and also yes you can, depending I guess on what your extended view settings are. I always keep it down at like three cells, I think. Here's a pic taken from on top of the fort at Ebonheart:

I figure I should nuke my install and get TR and see what it's actually like. Those could be like sweet ocean cliffs, that's not really terrain that shows up too much in the game. If I'm gonna do that I might as well do skyrim too.
You absolutely should. Last time I played Morrowind extensively, I barely touched the mainland (it was more about reexploring a game I hadn't played in years), but it was always very cool to have the awareness that it was there. And, occasionally, visiting the Telvanni capital and going :aaaaa: a bunch as I tried to find my way around like the rural hick that my archmagister actually was.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm satisfied to keep the draw distance the max it can be in stock morrowind. So like 40' or whatever. I also walk & don't gently caress with modding movement speed or fatigue :getin:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Stock maximum, I think I couldn't see either Vivec's house or that dwemer ruin. (I took that picture just now, just for you.)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
:tipshat:

Lol that there's a giant goddamn ruin right outside of vivec. I mean I guess there already is in vanilla.

I went to the op to see how to install TR and my eyes liquified and I wasn't able to focus for more than 2 seconds, I assume it's some sort of spell. While I wait for this effect to wear off what's a good way to just start from scratch, add TR & Skyrim, add in like Madd leveler and some of the standard Bethesda mods and go from there?

Also I was thinking about that entertainer mod beth put out way back when. Would it be insanely difficult to make it so that all inns allow you to entertain? Add the keyword for entertain the patrons to all innkeepers and maybe clean up the rumors that can happen if you have musical instruments? That'd be interesting and make it worth lugging dumb poo poo like drums and lutes around. Might make a good second or third mod for a noob after like adding in tarhiel's pal guarhiel or whatever hello world mod.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can see the Temple canton in Vivec from the prison ship in Seyda Neen :frogbon:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Addamere posted:

You can see the Temple canton in Vivec from the prison ship in Seyda Neen :frogbon:

Seems thats canon, since you can do this when you go to Morrowind in Elder Scrolls Online

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Online's not the REAL cannon tho, only morrowind + expansions is
*sweetshares outta control*

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

When the game was first being made the map looked like this in an evolution of daggerfall, the boxed cells would be hand crafted, everything else would be randomly generated. They decided to go with all hand crafted, probably due to engine or scope limitations because one square is pretty drat big.

Pretty soon after this they scrapped the idea of the mainland and invented a reason you couldnt go there. The 'quarantine' is a fake game reason and doesnt really exist and isnt referenced more than once I think. In TR its reference might be removed entirely?

The distance to the mainland is unfortunate but based on the scale is accurate. Theres a mod to put solstheim farther in the north which is recommended. Also the peninsula in the east of TR is getting circumcised to add a bit of distance.

Also dres armor is in TR already, based on concept art I think, either way it looks sweet. And ordinator armor isnt Indoril bonemold, thats a separate thing.

The island in the southeast is one of the ancient akavir invasion port islands I think

mbt fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 4, 2019

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Pretty soon after this they scrapped the idea of the mainland and invented a reason you couldnt go there. The 'quarantine' is a fake game reason and doesnt really exist and isnt referenced more than once I think. In TR its reference might be removed entirely?

No wonder I couldn't find a reference to it. I started to wonder if I had just invented it, or if it was some 2003-era fan theory.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
interesting stuff.

I wonder what the different climate zones would actually have been like. Would ashlands been total blight zone? Seems like in general there would be somewhat more diversity although lol the whole bitter coast got shunted to the south.

is a "tile" a cell?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

is a "tile" a cell?
I don't see what else it could be.

Special shout-out to my homies Sadrith Forest, Stonewood, and Vivace.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Firewatch literally only exists so people can start yelling that red mountain erupted again gently caress look out!!

They really blew it by not putting marshes in the inner part of great valley. That'd be a cool area because the ecology rapidly changes based on altitude and it could be strongly vertical. Put mud flats on north Vvard.

I feel like if they totally just algorithm'd up that much space it would be essentially pointless to travel unless going somewhere interesting. You need to have some kinda something and a reason to go out to those big islands in the north or some of those interior zones off the road.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

is a "tile" a cell?

Squinting at the image, it says:

"Region [5x5 landscape tiles]"
"1 landscape tile = .82 km"
"region = 5 landscape tiles = 4.1 km"

So a tile's a half-mile on a side, four tiles makes a square mile. Each square on that grid, though, I think, is supposed to be 25 tiles. The pink outlines are for 8 tiles hand-crafted, while the red outlines indicate "all 25 tiles custom". Which means the plan was for 30 square miles of hand-crafted Red Mountain. :stare:

fake edit: I just noticed that Sadrith Forest is where Tel Uvirith ended up.

real edit: How many cells wide is Vvardenfell, anyway?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't see what else it could be.

Special shout-out to my homies Sadrith Forest, Stonewood, and Vivace.

The Dunmer language is actually partially translated:

"Mora" means forest and "Bal" means stone. "Sadrith" means Mushroom. Ald (as in Ald'Ruhn) means "Old" and "Ruhn" means home.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Whorelord posted:

and "Ruhn" means home.

That's the only thing they didn't carry from TES1, where "Old Run" was just that, an Old Run, not an Old Home. They dunmerized it into Ald'ruhn and decided that ruhn meant home. They didn't do that for Whiterun in Skyrim, though.

The TES1 name generator was rather repetitive, especially for all the little towns. I can believe that most cities (each province had eight main cities, for Morrowind it was Blacklight, Ebonheart, Firewatch, Kragenmoor, Mournhold, Narsis, Necrom, and Tear) were "really" named while the random name generator filled in the blanks. Notably for Morrowind, Narsis and Necrom are definitely named by humans because they don't use phonemes that are seen regularly elsewhere. Blacklight, Ebonheart, Firewatch, Mournhold, and Tear are probably human-named as they do have some sort of thematic "dark elf land" thing going on, about being broody volcano goths. Kragenmoor is definitely random-generated garbage, though. Oh, and you'll notice that "Sadrith Forest" used to be "Markgran Forest". Also it was about where Ald'ruhn is, while Old Run was about were Molag Mar is.

Likewise for Skyrim. The main cities are Dawnstar, Falcreath, Riften, Solitude, Snowhawk, Whiterun, Windhelm, and Winterhold. There's definitely a thematic thing going on, at the same time you get some generic stuff like "Dawnstar".

Here's a game if you hate your liver: go to https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Arena:Maps and drink each time you spot a location with "Karth-" as a prefix or "-karth" as a suffix. Special mention for "Karththor Dale" and "Karththor Heights" being on opposite sides of Morrowind.

Now excuse me but I'm inspired to create the settlement of Karthkarth Moordale.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not that unusual, Washington State and Washington D.C. are on opposite sides of the country

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
There's also two Iberias on opposite sides of Europe.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Theres even two ebonhearts across the sea from each other :v:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

soscannonballs posted:

I have upgraded from having to cast fatigue damage spells. Now I cast a spell that turns me into Goku for 10 seconds by increasing my h2h skill by 100 points.

I actually beat Hircine by casting a spell that gave me 800pts H2H for 2 seconds. One punch to the nuts knocked him out cold, and then I just slapped him with an enchanted severed nord leg for a few minutes.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

fo4 quickloot beta (this time it's serious)

requires: mgexe (june update I think)

update the MWSE to this version:
https://nullcascade.com/mwse/mwse-dev.zip

install this like you would any other mod
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/381219559094616064/531025759687540737/QuickLoot_RC7.zip

configurable in the new menu when you press escape

the only thing I didnt add was in-game rebinding of the keys, edit those in data files\mwse\config\quick loot.json, should be straightforward

Z is loot x is loot all

mbt fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 5, 2019

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

requires: mgexe (june update I think)

update the MWSE to this version:
https://nullcascade.com/mwse/mwse-dev.zip

install this like you would any other mod
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/381219559094616064/531025759687540737/QuickLoot_RC7.zip

configurable in the new menu when you press escape

the only thing I didnt add was in-game rebinding of the keys, edit those in data files\mwse\config\quick loot.json, should be straightforward

it's lit

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

This is great, thank you - ten minutes with this and I dunno if I could go back

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

glad to hear its good

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46283/

full release out now, keybindings still WIP I just wanted to ship it :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Congrats on creating something that's likely to be a permanent fixture in just about everyone's install. What else have you got planned once you wrap up keybindings?

e: is it possible to add in plug n play controller support with lua? thatd be a dream come true for me personally tbh