Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Huh. I think we all expected the baby to have some dumb superpower, but it seems like we leaned toward anti-gravity rather than time travel... and teleportation?

Tiggum posted:

I think Brad's parents own the place? So it's not like a normal renting situation. I could be wrong though.

They do, but even then it's a case of, "Let's put a whole new room on this house! But we better be careful what we paint the room because the landlords won't want us making any weird changes!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hostile V posted:

Well congrats, you introduced time travel so now Safe Havens is a comic strip about time travel and nothing else.

She's also the mother of Leonardo Da Vinci, right? So we'll inevitably get a comic where Sam is attributed with the genes that made him brilliant.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Replicants don't say beep beep.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

2. Letting a child pick her favorite out of a few paint swatches will definitely kick off her moral degradation

The real kicker for me is that repainting a small bedroom takes, what, half a day? And hard and soft furnishings are all replaceable.

What I'm saying is let the kid have some fun.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i have never lived in a place where the landlord cared how you painted it, as long as you gave it a neutral color when you moved out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

Spider-man...

Dick Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Kammat posted:

Didn't he beat the poo poo out of a guy over whipping an old horse once?
That he did.

TheMadMilkman posted:

The real kicker for me is that repainting a small bedroom takes, what, half a day? And hard and soft furnishings are all replaceable.

What I'm saying is let the kid have some fun.
That and the kid having order in her life doesn't mean she never gets to make a single decision for herself. I'm pretty sure switching between a chaotic home life and relatives who act like that would be worse than having a few adults in her life who act like reasonable, normal people who understand that children aren't miniature adults.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like you literally remodeled a house you don’t own to accommodate a child that stays with you a weekend every other month. Just go whole hog and let her personalize it the way she likes it you loving rear end in a top hat

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Like you literally remodeled a house you don’t own to accommodate a child that stays with you a weekend every other month. Just go whole hog and let her personalize it the way she likes it you loving rear end in a top hat

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

adults in luann are written like children, while actual children are expected to be mini-adults. it's hosed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

adults in luann are written like children, while actual children are expected to be mini-adults. it's hosed.

also, no one fucks

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Bloop posted:

also, no one fucks

Bad people like Toni's brother and Ann Eiffel do.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (August 24, 1931)

Peanuts (January 7, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 14-15, 1931)

And aw dammit, there we go again...like I said yesterday, it just happens sometimes.

Anyway, on to Thimble Theater in which OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE, POPEYE. (July 22-24, 1935)

Here's the random thing of the day: Dok's Dippy Duck. John "Dok" Hager was the house cartoonist for the Seattle Daily Times. This is a feature kept popping up for a decade and some change beginning in 1912, in addition to the lead duck being a sidekick in the front-page weather cartoon. (March 19-21, 1923)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bobulus posted:

She's also the mother of Leonardo Da Vinci, right? So we'll inevitably get a comic where Sam is attributed with the genes that made him brilliant.

No, she was Leonardo's nanny, not his mom. (At least currently. Who knows what other revelations Holbrook might have up his sleeve.)

RoboRodent posted:

Also, if this is really a nerdy geeky strip for nerds, you wouldn't have to throw in a goddamn footnote to make sure everyone got your movie reference.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

These are the kind of facial expressions you find in parodies of geek comics. This is so terrible in every way possible.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I don't know why it took me until now, but Holbrook really does love babies with super powers. Or maybe it's just weird babies in general like the human born to the rabbit (who was a human from human world originally that replaced her animal world version of herself) :negative:

Selachian posted:

Also, if this is really a nerdy geeky strip for nerds, you wouldn't have to throw in a goddamn footnote to make sure everyone got your movie reference.

I mentioned it before but it's so weirdly geek-adjacent. Like why is the author making a comic about geek stuff when they don't seem to be actually into it and also don't expect (or respect, maybe?) their audience to also be into it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RoboRodent posted:

They can if they want to!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

So is she somehow targeting the main cast family or is it just a side effect of market trends in the mass murder food industry?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Potsticker posted:

I mentioned it before but it's so weirdly geek-adjacent. Like why is the author making a comic about geek stuff when they don't seem to be actually into it and also don't expect (or respect, maybe?) their audience to also be into it?
I mean, the Big Bang Theory has an audience.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

RoboRodent posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MariusLecter posted:

So is she somehow targeting the main cast family or is it just a side effect of market trends in the mass murder food industry?

I think she's specifically told her staff to kill rabbits because she hates Kevin, but if she kills him (or tells anyone to directly) then that would be murder because she knows him.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

Here's the random thing of the day: Dok's Dippy Duck. John "Dok" Hager was the house cartoonist for the Seattle Daily Times. This is a feature kept popping up for a decade and some change beginning in 1912, in addition to the lead duck being a sidekick in the front-page weather cartoon. (March 19-21, 1923)

Please provide more of this wonderful dippy duck.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

I mean, the Big Bang Theory has an audience.

I thought the Big Bang Theory was making fun of how terrible nerds are? I've only seen snippets, but isn't the main character a completely insufferable douche? That seems really different to how Skip is portrayed as a great guy with a girlfriend and is generally happy and so on.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Bad people like Toni's brother and Ann Eiffel do.

Tiff doesn't because she's so popular that no one likes her and Les doesn't because nobody can live with Gunther and obtain an erection at the same time, but they both really really want to, maybe even with each other, and that's gross and bad.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Potsticker posted:

I thought the Big Bang Theory was making fun of how terrible nerds are? I've only seen snippets, but isn't the main character a completely insufferable douche? That seems really different to how Skip is portrayed as a great guy with a girlfriend and is generally happy and so on.
The Big Bang theory has "jokes" like "Mom mailed me my old Nintendo 64!" "*audience loving loses it*"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

If they have advanced technology why don't the predators in Kevin and Kell just clone cuts of meat, no murder involved? I mean, if Holbrook is trying to present the murder as not the motive for most of them. If everyone is sapient prey species have the awareness to control their own populations with, like... birth control, anyway. There's nothing natural about the set-up so might as well go full sci-fi.

EDIT: Like if Dewclaw Meats or w/e was selling cloned meat then I could buy them as an ethical business. As it is, no, not even if people have to eat.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Lady, you just yelled at the kids for turning the heat up too high like, five minutes ago.

1. It's only occurred to you now, AFTER you did all this construction, that you don't own this house and can't just do what you want willy-nilly?

2. Letting a child pick her favorite out of a few paint swatches will definitely kick off her moral degradation

3. Thank you, colorist, from the bottom of my heart, for picking a background wall color strikingly similar to one of those puce examples posted above.
I am not sure their marriage survive this conflict.

F Minus

In my day you had to at least go through high school!

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

:lol:

Now the pure, uncut, Mary Worth

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Isn't she literally the daughter of the ambassador for their country?
It appears she is not an ambassador, but she works at the UN, in what capacity I cannot say. She also has an Olympic medal and a black belt in karate.

I'm sure Heloise could call her and get some help, but why would she when...

The Phantom

...she can name-drop the freaking president of Bangalla instead.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Andertoons is seriously one of the most consistently funny comics I post. I love this poo poo.

Apartment 3-G

Bryan is a drat saint.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Potsticker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGR5HP3KSBk

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

...she can name-drop the freaking president of Bangalla instead.
Guard: you're not a US citizen, get out of the embassy
Me: if you insist, what a shame though, now you'll never get commended by... Donald Trump
Guard: (thinking) holy poo poo this guy knows who our president is why don't you take a seat, sir, I do apologize

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That laugh track is incessant, the jokes are poorly delivered, but like-- they are actual jokes I guess. "Tesla, Space-X, I love all your companies" was really awkward, but like there was an actual joke there where bowl haircut lays it on thick about his professional achievements and Elon delivers the gravy line set up from earlier.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Maybe put this in the OP

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I think she's specifically told her staff to kill rabbits because she hates Kevin, but if she kills him (or tells anyone to directly) then that would be murder because she knows him.

Since apparently we are supposed to care about the market price of rabbit meat, a less stupid plot would be for Evil Company stop hunting rabbits, and start buying a lot of rabbit meat. That way the price goes up and all the other Evil Corporations start gunning for Our Heroes for monetary reasons.

Like not only is holbrook writing a fetishy nightmare world but he is doing a halfassed job of it.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Why's their rabbit daughter the apex predator?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Because capitalist dystopia

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Okay, this has been bugging me ever since the first time I read this page lo all those many years ago. Does that sink actually have running water?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

PuddingKnight posted:

Why's their rabbit daughter the apex predator?

Because thanks to Holbrook's flawless understanding of genetics, when a wolf and a rabbit cross-breed it results in a voracious obligate carnivore that just looks like a harmless rabbit.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I hope he brings back a snow globe with a little model of the world famous skyline of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

How exactly does one trip on something approximately 1.5x their height

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

howe_sam posted:

Okay, this has been bugging me ever since the first time I read this page lo all those many years ago. Does that sink actually have running water?
Oh probably not but it's all part of the misdirection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kidcoelacanth posted:

How exactly does one trip on something approximately 1.5x their height

i suspect that the reader is not intended to take literally the apparent immensity of the footwear in the final panel