Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I thought every 'flu vaccine since like 2011 had h1n1 in it as a matter of course.

Sure they do, but it still mutates each year. Just means you won't get the 2011 - 2017 H1N1. 2018? Grab a Quiznos and have a seat because I've got some bad news for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sure they do, but it still mutates each year. Just means you won't get the 2011 - 2017 H1N1. 2018? Grab a Quiznos and have a seat because I've got some bad news for you.

Was that the same tainted patch that caused brain damage (mostly narcolepsia) on people younger than 20 year olds? That fucker also kicked the anti-vaccine people into high gear.

Pandemrix, I think it was called here. And I am not even kidding with the brain damage; it was statistically proven and currently under the "permanent damage caused by medication"-insurance by our national healthcare administration.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There is a Youtube acount apparently dedicated to uploading ads of a cheap mobile game called Mafia City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLZkI0b9YOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQbrfj2qlus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJNhlGciwPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrPc3XJQgs

tl;dr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saxMqyo4TAc

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Phlegmish posted:

She didn't deserve to die and I realize you can't get lifelong vaccination against the flu, but I'm still glad this happened to an anti-vaxxer and not one of the vulnerable people whose lives they (would) willingly put at risk.

Nah, she argued against healthcare for people who need it. She would willingly watch people die so her corporate masters could continue to alchemize the lives of the poor into cash.

She deserved to die.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm noticing a trend where commercials are pointing out they're commercials, perhaps in an attempt to engage millenials.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Beachcomber posted:

I'm noticing a trend where commercials are pointing out they're commercials, perhaps in an attempt to engage millenials.

Not really a new idea, but you can only trot it out every so often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqEjnUkbB-Y

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Somehow I feel like being New Year drunk helps me understand this better.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

that's a lot of ads

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
They're really effective because they made me look up the game and become disappointed it's not great insanity

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tato posted:

They're really effective because they made me look up the game and become disappointed it's not great insanity

The real measure of their effectiveness is if we see a Mafia City ad during the Superbowl.

Beachcomber posted:

Millennials are on Instagram and famous Instagram acccounts tag themselves with #ad when they're shilling something. Make sense.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The MSJ posted:

Millennials are on Instagram and famous Instagram acccounts tag themselves with #ad when they're shilling something. Make sense.

people are actually required to disclose sponsored content now on most if not all social media sites

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm sitting here watching Netflix and don't know what thread to actually post this in.

How are things like Arrested Development, Gilmore Girls, and Black Mirror considered Netflix Original Series when they were somewhere else before Netflix revived them?

Church
Jul 1, 2005

Len posted:

I'm sitting here watching Netflix and don't know what thread to actually post this in.

How are things like Arrested Development, Gilmore Girls, and Black Mirror considered Netflix Original Series when they were somewhere else before Netflix revived them?

This is really two different concerns, with things like Arrested Development and Gilmore Girls, the "owners" of the shows brought them to netflix to continue working on the show/revive the show so while they didnt "create the show" the only place you can find these shows is on Netflix as Netflix directly made these shows exclusively. Black Mirror is slightly different as it was a channel 4 show (owned and produced) until 2016 when netflix picked up the show and started making it. So any episodes post 2016 are all directly made by netflix. However netflix will call anything it has "exclusive" rights to in region a "netflix" original" ie in Canada Riverdale has no air partner here so netflix gets to call it an "Netflix original" even tho its made by the CW.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah Netflix and even Amazon treats shows that are exclusive to them in that specific region as Original. It's why people in other countries have no idea shows like Parks and Rec or something was originally on NBC.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Church posted:

This is really two different concerns, with things like Arrested Development and Gilmore Girls, the "owners" of the shows brought them to netflix to continue working on the show/revive the show so while they didnt "create the show" the only place you can find these shows is on Netflix as Netflix directly made these shows exclusively. Black Mirror is slightly different as it was a channel 4 show (owned and produced) until 2016 when netflix picked up the show and started making it. So any episodes post 2016 are all directly made by netflix. However netflix will call anything it has "exclusive" rights to in region a "netflix" original" ie in Canada Riverdale has no air partner here so netflix gets to call it an "Netflix original" even tho its made by the CW.

Yea, Black Lighting, Good Place, Happy!, Twin Peaks S3 are all Netflix Originals here, with the big ad banner and everything.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Also it seems a lot cleaner than having multiple categories instead of having a single "Netflix Original" brand.

MST3K: An Underfunded Netflix Nerdbase Pander

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

MST3K: An Underfunded Netflix Nerdbase Pander

No.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rifftrax is infinitely better than what I tried to watch of the MST3K reboot.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

:agreed:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

S2 of the reboot seems better, I feel like they dialed in the humor.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

chitoryu12 posted:

Agreed. But then I've always been more a Mike fan than a Joel fan.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy the MST3K reboot, except for when Felicia Day is on screen because she is just not good. She is a vacuum of charisma and entertainment, and having her as the lead Mad over Patton Oswalt is actually criminal, even though I'm sure Patton loves being the second banana

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I liked MST3K when I was 14, I do not like MST3K now that I'm 38

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I caught their live show when they were touring a while back, and it was surprisingly good. I don't know if they used different writers, or it worked better when they were feeding off the energy of a live audience, but it was much, much better than the show. There was also a good amount of improv between the actors, which made it feel less stilted.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Hattie Masters posted:

I enjoy the MST3K reboot, except for when Felicia Day is on screen because she is just not good. She is a vacuum of charisma and entertainment, and having her as the lead Mad over Patton Oswalt is actually criminal, even though I'm sure Patton loves being the second banana

Felicia Day was great in The Guild and has been consistently not great in everything else.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Trig Discipline posted:

Felicia Day was great in The Guild and has been consistently not great in everything else.

I never watched the Guild, but I though she did decent as a VO for Fallout: New Vegas.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Trig Discipline posted:

Finally someone who agrees with me. I don't get the love for her

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

Finally someone who agrees with me. I don't get the love for her

Let's break out the list:
- Nerdy
- Big rear end titties

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The British army is falling behind in their recruitment levels. Let's see what they come up with the get a young new generation to enlist!

:britain:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It beats just stealing other countries’ sailors off their boats.

Or subjugating India.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Doggles posted:

The British army is falling behind in their recruitment levels. Let's see what they come up with the get a young new generation to enlist!

:britain:

Maybe I'm being a crabby millennial, but "snowflake" =/= too much compassion. Maybe if they'd gone with SJW since, you know, they're fighting for social justice?

I mean, it's still stupid, but it's annoying that they couldn't get their buzzterms right.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Not gonna knock them for that, because I’d be hard pressed to figure out what the British (or any other) army could want in the “snowflake” demographic. “We need your unshakable sense of entitlement” would have sounded even dumber so :shrug:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

All those gamers are great for drone piloting, is that what they mean?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The MSJ posted:

All those gamers are great for drone piloting, is that what they mean?

See the movie Toys for my thesis on the matter.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

BioEnchanted posted:

See the movie Toys for my thesis on the matter.

Seriously, watch Toys, it's loving fantastic.

Tomorrow, we start building the littlest armada known to mankind!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Let's break out the list:

- Big rear end titties

She doesn’t have that either. Nerdy and two X chromosomes is really all you need for that audience.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Why are gamers the most oppressed group? Because of ads like these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGuiZO00ePg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouNKlnr-uY0

Of course then this game went ahead and make an ad like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C78dCj9mktc

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Its even more more insidious;

To be offered to buy the poo poo you want you must build rapport with a specific rep by buying bizzare overpriced poo poo you dont want (example 800 dollar hermes brand rocking horse) until they like you enough to call you when they do get inventory you want, but the store nor reps get any control over inventory they sent so youre gambling on them even recieving the style of bag you want much less color, and from a corporate level there is a cap on how many of their bags youre allowed to buy in a year.

In review, you must bribe a salesperson so that theyll call you for a high-pressure buy-it-now-or-miss-out opportunity on a thing you may not 100% want because nobody cares what you actually want and the thing you want may never be sent to the store you decided to build rapport at.

This process can take weeks or months to go from "first time in a store" to "actually buying a bag" so Diehard Hermes shoppers recommend you take a vacation to paris and go to the flagship store and spend 5-7k over your short trip as that store has the most inventory so theyre more likely to call you back in a short window o buy more stuff.

Ask me about a friend who had over 100k in non-bag product from hermes just so she could get access to their top tier bag, which itself retails around 50k

Edit: Do you think you may have a counterfit Hermes? Well their process is you send it to their people who make them to take apart and confirm if it is. You do not get an assembled purse back, just confirmation if it was or wasnt an Hermes

I hate purses as the top-level fashion item instead of jewels because purses suck poo poo and I just want to throw them around. also they intentionally made it purses because it doesn't matter if you're fat, they can just make the same garbage with no tailoring or anything. fashion has become a crap.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

big dyke energy posted:

God my brain can not get around some parts of capitalism. That's loving insane.

I can understand a company having a completely bonkers business plan like that, I can not FATHOM how the people who buy this don't just...move on to other luxury brands that don't make you buy poo poo you don't want to get things you do want (maybe, if you're lucky). I guess it's just a sunk-cost thing? More money than sense? Goddamn.

Rich people are bored. It's a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

Mitt Romney somehow has over 100 million in his IRA. There are articles about how he could possibly do it and no one can figure it out since for most of his life you could only put in a couple grand a year into it. The system is rigged.

Were the articles written by morons? Because I can tell you.