Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
What about bombing coal power plants? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

elbkaida posted:

What about bombing coal power plants? :thunk:

Bring die Grünen mal auf keine bösen Ideen!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oliwan is right

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Oliwan is indeed right, but come on, I’ve already significantly reduced my meat intake. Plz don’t force me to do more.

Also, that question about real vacations didn’t come from a particularly bougie friend - reminder that on average, every Swiss person flies 9000 Km every year, so if you don’t fly at all you’re gonna stick out. Nothing bougie-bubbly about that.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Wengy posted:

reminder that on average, every Swiss person flies 9000 Km every year
I understand not everyone gets a full treatement on statistics in school, so uh, please consider that absent the actual data, it is wise to assume the graph looks MUCH more like the left one, instead of the right one here.

Also consider that the distance switzerland to USA or thailand is roughly 9000km each. No space for a return trip.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 6, 2019

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Label your axes.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Vulin posted:

Label your axes.

tbh i can't be arsed to look it up properly now, but i was thinking something like, left axis: distance travelled by individual, bottom axis: individuals sorted by distance travelled, and the lines really being a very dense scatter plot or something

in the end not really worth a lot of effort tho. either they groks how hilariously misleading "average" can be when applied to populations and that people who don't fly will in fact not stick out, or they don't

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
How does having children place on the environmental hypocrisy scale?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mithaldu posted:

tbh i can't be arsed to look it up properly now, but i was thinking something like, left axis: distance travelled by individual, bottom axis: individuals sorted by distance travelled, and the lines really being a very dense scatter plot or something

in the end not really worth a lot of effort tho. either they groks how hilariously misleading "average" can be when applied to populations and that people who don't fly will in fact not stick out, or they don't

You're looking for a skewed or non-normal distribution, where the average is not representative

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'm sitting in the Ruhebereich and despite that I have to put up with a bunch of olds having someone loudly explain the seat reservation situation to them over and over. Train travel is actually hell + I need to motorize myself and face to Autobahn.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Have you heard of headphones and/or laughing at the misfortune of others silently while also posting about it on the internet? (I'm sure the Germans have a word for that)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Haha working internet on a train, get a load of this guy

Ruhebereich is actually code for „you can make phone calls here because it’s so quiet when the kids sleep!“

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
a) I thought Ruhebereich was in the station
b) they ARE posting right now?!

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I stopped booking Ruhebereich because every single time there's some rear end in a top hat loudly talking on the phone or some idiot parents with their screaming offspring and the German in me wants to go full Blitzkrieg on them so better just book the regular area where it's the same but without the added annoyance

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

You're looking for a skewed or non-normal distribution, where the average is not representative
Ah, distributions was the relevant term. Thanks. :)

Vanadium posted:

I'm sitting in the Ruhebereich and despite that I have to put up with a bunch of olds having someone loudly explain the seat reservation situation to them over and over. Train travel is actually hell + I need to motorize myself and face to Autobahn.
As a seasoned train traveler: Get those earphones that go into the ears and have a little rubber-Regenschirm around the sound canal that somewhat closes your ears against outside sounds. Then put on some whitenoise, asmr or an audiobook. Presto, aural experience of being alone on the train.

Also, the best cars in a train are: The one next to the bicycle end car, most people overlook it; the bicycle car itself, usually it's quite empty, and if it's full you can snag a seat in the bike area and get more leg room than you'll ever need.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

oliwan posted:

Again, please remember: every 'environmentalist' who is not vegan is a hypocrite of the highest order.

The most significant reduction of your impact on the environment happens after you kill yourself, hth

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Ah, distributions was the relevant term. Thanks. :)
As a seasoned train traveler: Get those earphones that go into the ears and have a little rubber-Regenschirm around the sound canal that somewhat closes your ears against outside sounds. Then put on some whitenoise, asmr or an audiobook. Presto, aural experience of being alone on the train.

Also, the best cars in a train are: The one next to the bicycle end car, most people overlook it; the bicycle car itself, usually it's quite empty, and if it's full you can snag a seat in the bike area and get more leg room than you'll ever need.

Yeah, bicycle car is usually the Geheimtipp, especially if you can get a corner seat so you've got a wall to lean against. Having actual leg room more than makes up for not having much of a backrest, and it tends to be among the emptiest. Of course the flip side is that it's double hell during rush hour with everybody rear end to ankles.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zwille posted:

You gotta do the calculation with a BahnCard 100 in mind, if you do 100 trips Berlin-Munich a year (like Wochenendpendeln) you quickly reach 30-40 euros per trip, basically the same as fuel cost for car travel in your calculation. No taxes, no need to buy a car, no maintenance etc. etc. basically you come ahead with a BC 100.

Flexipreis sans BC 25/50 is insane though for what you get, totally.

But common, who does 50 1200 km private trips per year? That's such an edge case and if I had to make up a statistic I'd say that >98.3% of all private Bahn travellers are below that mileage. And even at cost parity, you still have a car in the diesel scenario that you can use for everyday activities. What can you do with a Bahncard 100 except long distance travel and making cocaine lines?

All I'm saying is that Bahn travel is way too expensive due to Soziale Verantwortung of the Bahn, so the state should subsidize it more. Also, car travel is way too cheap and the costs do not reflect the externalities. It should be made much more expensive through fuel taxes(but lmao at that idea after watching what is happening in France)

oliwan posted:

This one is for Wengy and all the other non-vegans telling other people to reduce their flights:

From this article:

Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth

Biggest analysis to date reveals huge footprint of livestock - it provides just 18% of calories but takes up 83% of farmland

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/31/avoiding-meat-and-dairy-is-single-biggest-way-to-reduce-your-impact-on-earth

As much as I like eating meat once a week and hate agreeing with oliwan, this is actually true.

Although you get greatly diminishing returns after quitting beef and probably not that much of a gain going from vegetarian to vegan so there is no reason to go full fanatic about it(also, I could never quit avocado, the fruit of life).

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I have fancy noise canceling headphones somewhere in the depths of my overloaded backpack, but complaining is more fun.

Also I had no idea there's a bicycle car, I gotta look into that!

Edit: Can someone look up how environmentally dangerous eating chicken is, on a scale from veganism to cows? Is it like halfway in-between?

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 6, 2019

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vanadium posted:

I have fancy noise canceling headphones somewhere in the depths of my overloaded backpack, but complaining is more fun.

Also I had no idea there's a bicycle car, I gotta look into that!

Edit: Can someone look up how environmentally dangerous eating chicken is, on a scale from veganism to cows? Is it like halfway in-between?

Suppenhuhn or Hähnchen?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Döner with Hühnerfleisch?

Edit: some guy in this train car just complained to the Bahn guy about the children making noises in the Ruhebereich and now I'm down with being loud in here just to distance myself from him.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 6, 2019

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vanadium posted:

That's compacted sawdust& rat feet. Basically carbon neutral

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Vanadium posted:

Edit: some guy in this train car just complained to the Bahn guy about the children making noises in the Ruhebereich and now I'm down with being loud in here just to distance myself from him.

He's right though.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Yeah but he achieved nothing except make a few people uncomfortable. He's not wrong, he's just bad at being right.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No one gives a poo poo about the Ruhebereich, it's just a convenient sign to point to if you want a gaggle of middle-aged ladies to stop showing each other "funny" videos on their phones at high volume without coming right out and saying it's because their videos are garbage.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The smoking cars used to be the real quiet room in trains. But that was also when handys weren't as common as today.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Just noticed they actually do have the English term on the doors, too, and "quiet zone" sounds a lot more ominous than "Ruhebereich" imo.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Vanadium posted:

Yeah but he achieved nothing except make a few people uncomfortable. He's not wrong, he's just bad at being right.

Write up the name of the Zugbegleiter who refuses to eject the parent and its unruly trashbag accessory. There is always the chance somebody at headquarters will listen to such a complaint and gently caress over the dude who refuses to do his job.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

No one gives a poo poo about the Ruhebereich, it's just a convenient sign to point to if you want a gaggle of middle-aged ladies to stop showing each other "funny" videos on their phones at high volume without coming right out and saying it's because their videos are garbage.

Ruhebereich technically just means you should not make phone calls. Because I guess demanding that children be silent is not allowed, and technically drunken shouting and playing music is not allowed anywhere on the train.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

haldolium posted:

The smoking cars used to be the real quiet room in trains.

Still are(although some people get really passive-agressive with all that caughing)

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Abteil im Ruhebereich ist das Beste, bei maximal 6 Leuten ist der soziale Druck die Klappe zu halten deutlich höher.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/Nilzenburger/status/1081890561991364609?s=19

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I laughed

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
german children are the most pampered and the most loud out of all the countries i have lived in. honestly, just tell them to shut up? why do german parents just let the kids do whatever the gently caress they want in social situations? Also, parents always seem to give me stink eye or actually start arguing when i tell children that they should leave me in ruhe here in germany.

my favourite anecdote about precious german children is this. i was walking down a gehweg, minding my own business, when a daddy with 4 kids comes walking toward me on the same gehweg. they take all the space available and i'm on my own walking on the right, so i wrongfully assumed that they would make some space. they didnt, so when were are about 2 meters apart and on collision course I just stop, so that the kids can walk past me. they don't pay attention and one walks squarely into me and looks at me like it saw a ghost. i look towards the daddy so that he can say sorry or something, or use the situation to teach the kid about watching out. instead he he yells at me: BIST DU BESCHEUERT??? DAS SIND KINDER!!!. i couldn't do anything but think wtf is wrong with these parents.

i also notice this in school btw. german kids are by far the least responsible and independent students i have taught. in the netherlands i could easily leave a grade 7 alone in a classroom, they would just work and do their thing. same goes for international classes. however, german kids in general will do gently caress all when not under supervision, or when they don't have a pen, or paper, etc. they have to be policed all the time, and the only thing that works with them is being a rules-horny policeman. its exhausting. learn some responsibility ffs, WITHOUT having to rely on rules.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Another quality oliwan post. Top!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

oliwan posted:

german children are the most pampered and the most loud out of all the countries i have lived in. honestly, just tell them to shut up? why do german parents just let the kids do whatever the gently caress they want in social situations? Also, parents always seem to give me stink eye or actually start arguing when i tell children that they should leave me in ruhe here in germany.

my favourite anecdote about precious german children is this. i was walking down a gehweg, minding my own business, when a daddy with 4 kids comes walking toward me on the same gehweg. they take all the space available and i'm on my own walking on the right, so i wrongfully assumed that they would make some space. they didnt, so when were are about 2 meters apart and on collision course I just stop, so that the kids can walk past me. they don't pay attention and one walks squarely into me and looks at me like it saw a ghost. i look towards the daddy so that he can say sorry or something, or use the situation to teach the kid about watching out. instead he he yells at me: BIST DU BESCHEUERT??? DAS SIND KINDER!!!. i couldn't do anything but think wtf is wrong with these parents.

i also notice this in school btw. german kids are by far the least responsible and independent students i have taught. in the netherlands i could easily leave a grade 7 alone in a classroom, they would just work and do their thing. same goes for international classes. however, german kids in general will do gently caress all when not under supervision, or when they don't have a pen, or paper, etc. they have to be policed all the time, and the only thing that works with them is being a rules-horny policeman. its exhausting. learn some responsibility ffs, WITHOUT having to rely on rules.

:cawg:

Personally I fully and completely agree with the unquestionable fact that a certain nationality comes along with special hardwired character traits that cannot be changed due to the essence of having that certain nationality.

Thanks for sharing your story.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

oliwan posted:

german [...] have to be policed all the time, and the only thing that works with them is being a rules-horny policeman.

Willkommen :hitler:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

oliwan posted:

This one is for Wengy and all the other non-vegans telling other people to reduce their flights:

From this article:

Biggest analysis to date reveals huge footprint of livestock - it provides just 18% of calories but takes up 83% of farmland

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/31/avoiding-meat-and-dairy-is-single-biggest-way-to-reduce-your-impact-on-earth
Beef in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Dutchman just standing still and waiting for the children to run into him, ca. 2017, colorized