Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

eke out posted:

truman wasn't allowed to seize steel plants during an Actual War but i'm sure trump will be totally allowed to initiate a massive program of emergency eminent domain costing untold billions without any trouble

what are the realistic checks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There was also legislation passed in the 70s that limited the President’s Emergency powers.

And that isn’t even factoring in Trump’s inability to take what he’s technically able to do and not completely gently caress it all up. Remember the Muslims Ban? It was shot down and had to go through multiple revisions over the course of a year before it was technically within his purview. DACA still remains on the books for largely the same reasons.

Whatever he theoretically can do he won’t do it in the right way to avoid being shot down.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

eke out posted:

truman wasn't allowed to seize steel plants during an Actual War but i'm sure trump will be totally allowed to initiate a massive program of emergency eminent domain costing untold billions without any trouble

The Atlantic says he can basically do almost anything

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/01/presidential-emergency-powers/576418/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And then the courts shut him down in a matter of hours again because that’s not how things actually work.

sure but its hell world, so who knows how he will gently caress everything up.

i mean like i am sure we will be in some kind of constitutional crisis if that happened. also i could see him get couped if he went full Mad King.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Half of that Atlantic article is literally a fanfic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

yeah. he isn't gonna do most of that stuff, because he isn't smart enough too. i could maybe see him putting more troops on the border or dumb poo poo though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That article is pretty laughable. It’s a bullet point list of literally the worst thing that could theoretically occur at every step, enacted all without interruption by someone who would have to know exactly what they are doing. It reads like how a Sovereign Citizen will examine the absolute literal written word of the law and then argue how they’re exempt from it under some asinine reasoning. It also does the whole “lol 5-4 ruling” meme to put a neat bow on it all because otherwise the whole fanfic falls apart.

If it was so easy for Trump to become a dictator in just 7 simple steps LIBERALS HATE IT then he would have done it 2 years ago. Or at any point between then and now as he’s constantly run into endless difficulties.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 6, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That article is pretty laughable. It’s a bullet point list of literally the worst thing that could theoretically occur at every step, enacted all without interruption by someone who would have to know exactly what they are doing. It reads like how a Sovereign Citizen will examine the absolute literal written word of the law and then argue how they’re exempt from it under some asinine reasoning. It also does the whole “lol 5-4 ruling” meme to put a neat bow on it all because otherwise the whole fanfic falls apart.

If it was so easy for Trump to become a dictator in just 7 simple steps LIBERALS HATE IT then he would have done it 2 years ago. Or at any point between then and now as he’s constantly run into endless difficulties.

well people still need to make him scary even though he still is scary, just not in the super brain genius way they want him to be.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well people still need to make him scary even though he still is scary, just not in the super brain genius way they want him to be.

"What if Trump is a puppet master instead of a turbo moron????" takes really need to loving die.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

"What if Trump is a puppet master instead of a turbo moron????" takes really need to loving die.

yeah. i am more afraid of him just doing stupid awful poo poo and then doubling down on it out of spite and bullheadedness.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sean10mm posted:

The pivot into basic competency is coming aaaannnny day now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The pivot into basic competency is coming aaaannnny day now.

i think that narrative is dying at least with trump.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lmao that article doesn't even mention a wall, it's all about Turning Off the Internet and Deploying Troops On Main Street

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

eke out posted:

Fun reminder, declaring martial law and seizing private citizen's land is literally the imaginary scenario that lead to Texas deploying it's national guard (with a bunch of milita guys "helping") to watch over a joint training exercise named Operation Jade Helm.

This has been your special "Oh Wait He Did" episode of "Can you imagine if Obama did that?"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Relentless posted:

Fun reminder, declaring martial law and seizing private citizen's land is literally the imaginary scenario that lead to Texas deploying it's national guard (with a bunch of milita guys "helping") to watch over a joint training exercise named Operation Jade Helm.

This has been your special "Oh Wait He Did" episode of "Can you imagine if Obama did that?"

i feel like he legit tried to go full dictator or tried to go full national emergency, it would be clumsy and awful and probably end in a ton of deaths, including probably his own at the end of all of it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 6, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

When I read this article a while back, my first thought was "Don't give him ideas!" (Trump doesn't read The Atlantic, of course, but some of his advisers might.) That said, most of these ideas are, as others have said, fanfic-y. The Internet censorship idea, for example, would never get through the courts; it would essentially require 5 Peter Thiel clones on the Supreme Court to work. Abuse of the Insurrection Act seems more plausible, though.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like he legit tried to go full dictator or tried to go full national emergency, it would be clumsy and awful and probably end in a ton of deaths, including probably his own at the end of all of it.

There's an Emergency Broadcast System-themed video to that point on YouTube, with Trump going insane and chud militias fighting police in DC. And ending in nuclear launches. :ohdear:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Moktaro posted:

There's an Emergency Broadcast System-themed video to that point on YouTube, with Trump going insane and chud militias fighting police in DC. And ending in nuclear launches. :ohdear:

Link?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Silver2195 posted:

When I read this article a while back, my first thought was "Don't give him ideas!" (Trump doesn't read The Atlantic, of course, but some of his advisers might.) That said, most of these ideas are, as others have said, fanfic-y. The Internet censorship idea, for example, would never get through the courts; it would essentially require 5 Peter Thiel clones on the Supreme Court to work. Abuse of the Insurrection Act seems more plausible, though.

The author of the article appears to work for a think tank of some sort that focuses specifically on reining in executive power creep. That may be where its frame is coming from.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I wish Omorossa was still around to print out stuff like this and show Trump

https://twitter.com/Pappiness/status/1081751297303502849

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Charlz Guybon posted:

I wish Omorossa was still around to print out stuff like this and show Trump

https://twitter.com/Pappiness/status/1081751297303502849

This is a really remarkable turnaround given the absolute contempt Americans have for congress. Even more so because Pelosi has been a perennial target of republican smear campaigns for a couple decades.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

This is a really remarkable turnaround given the absolute contempt Americans have for congress. Even more so because Pelosi has been a perennial target of republican smear campaigns for a couple decades.

A man walked into my work in the day after the midterm election and really wanted Pelosi to die and California to sink into the ocean. She is definitely hated, but now Republicans are starting to hate Donny even more, he shames them if that's even possible.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Nonsense posted:

A man walked into my work in the day after the midterm election and really wanted Pelosi to die and California to sink into the ocean. She is definitely hated, but now Republicans are starting to hate Donny even more, he shames them if that's even possible.

According to gallup (scroll down) Trump's approval rating among Republicans was 89% as recently as the end of December. Given this, I am a tad sceptical of your claims.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

According to gallup (scroll down) Trump's approval rating among Republicans was 89% as recently as the end of December. Given this, I am a tad sceptical of your claims.

Trump's polling numbers are remaining consistent among people who continue to openly identify as Republican, but a rapidly growing number of conservatives refuse to admit it.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Rinkles posted:

what are the realistic checks?

The Posse Comitatus Act (maybe?)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

So if Republicans were fifty percent of the country (and they're not) that would mean his approval rating is 45%. 100-45=65, which is 7 higher than 58

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

So if Republicans were fifty percent of the country (and they're not) that would mean his approval rating is 45%. 100-45=65, which is 7 higher than 58

Republicans are not 50% of the country though.

Robot Jones
Nov 12, 2016

Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?

HootTheOwl posted:

100-45=55

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

yeah the actually correct pushback to this argument is that self-identified republicans are an increasingly small percentage of polls

like the most recent yougov poll on 538 has Trump at 89% approval among republicans, but those republicans are only 25.6% of the sample. even rasmussen puts them around 30-32 and their sampling is blatantly partisan and overrepresentative

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Right they're less, so even with that massive Republican support you can see how both can be true. But as someone pointed out my math was right, but even at 55 surely you can see it.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

SaTaMaS posted:

The Posse Comitatus Act (maybe?)

There are provisions for suspending it under the patriot act.

Good lord are we really at the point where we will have to SURPRISE remember the legislation we’ve passed almost 20 years ago?

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Peacoffee posted:

There are provisions for suspending it under the patriot act.

Good lord are we really at the point where we will have to SURPRISE remember the legislation we’ve passed almost 20 years ago?

Are you talking about the changes in the Insurrection Act that were part of the 2007 Defense Authorization Bill but were repealed in 2008, or something else?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Nice

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1081563638324969473

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

SaTaMaS posted:

Are you talking about the changes in the Insurrection Act that were part of the 2007 Defense Authorization Bill but were repealed in 2008, or something else?

I was mostly referring to the provisions under states of emergency, drug trafficking, and border security, which as far as I know still sweep a lot of decision making into the executive branch. Although it's less that I expect these laws would uphold how they are used in justifying actions, and more that there's a lot of arguments someone could make with the patriot act that have yet to materialize in all this time.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

AOC is starting to get Obama’s level like numbers.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

It's like watching an Olympic fencer beating up on an angry toddler with a stick.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
TSA collapsing is what's going to end this I think

https://twitter.com/votevets/status/1081938998799417346

Also, why are we still bombing Somalia?

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1082083996987723778

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
But wait, I was told Trunp is getting us out of the wars

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

AOC is starting to get Obama’s level like numbers.

Unfortunately she won't be old enough to run for president until 2025, so 2028 at the soonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

But wait, I was told Trunp is getting us out of the wars

Funny you should mention that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/06/world/middleeast/bolton-syria-pullout.html

New York Times posted:

Bolton Puts Conditions on Syria Withdrawal, Suggesting a Delay of Months or Years