Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yikes :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ah, the natural marriage of "robot alien invaders" and "vaguely wannabe-woke sweary teenage lolrandom." (But mostly the latter.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That Old Tree posted:

Ah, the natural marriage of "robot alien invaders" and "vaguely wannabe-woke sweary teenage lolrandom." (But mostly the latter.)

Given that the wild card shows all the different kinds of robot but is called "LGBTQIA+", I would wager money that the game was originally called "Queer Apocalypse" or some such and the players were competing to turn the most people gay.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Jedit posted:

Given that the wild card shows all the different kinds of robot but is called "LGBTQIA+", I would wager money that the game was originally called "Queer Apocalypse" or some such and the players were competing to turn the most people gay.
See I would actually hate that less because the people most likely to make that would be queer and nonbinary folks doing it as a joke (though honestly they wouldn't do that at all because they wouldn't want to make a product that people could then turn toxic or as an excuse to say hurtful things). As it stands like congrats on being inclusive from what you're showing but also uhhhhh your game is bad and "being vulgar" is a bad thing to make your product stand apart and you're still inviting lovely people to play.

That said "wicked spin move" being a negate and having a middle finger a la "sit and spin" made me laugh.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Lemon-Lime posted:

Technoir is genuinely one of the best RPGs ever so it's great that it's back in print.

It's a loving shame that the new owner is The Alexandrian.

Consider me out of the loop. What's wrong with The Alexandrian?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

CitizenKeen posted:

Consider me out of the loop. What's wrong with The Alexandrian?

The dumbass who came up with the whole Disassociated Mechanics argument against 4e.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Slimnoid posted:

The dumbass who came up with the whole Disassociated Mechanics argument against 4e.

Hmm. As a fan of the Alexandrian (though maybe without context), I'll have to look into critiques of the argument.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

To expand on this, he coined the term solely in order to stoke edition warring. It gets used as a dogwhistle to bash 4E, and unsurprisingly anyone using it earnestly just has to center it around hating that game. Even when I've tried to pin it down to something more general, by apparent coincidence no one can give examples about other games or why it's "wrong" without very clearly focusing on 4E hate.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Hmm. As a fan of the Alexandrian (though maybe without context), I'll have to look into critiques of the argument.

The critique of the "argument" is that it's insane garbage invented by a dumbass grognard who doesn't know what he's talking about.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

NGDBSS posted:

To expand on this, he coined the term solely in order to stoke edition warring. It gets used as a dogwhistle to bash 4E, and unsurprisingly anyone using it earnestly just has to center it around hating that game. Even when I've tried to pin it down to something more general, by apparent coincidence no one can give examples about other games or why it's "wrong" without very clearly focusing on 4E hate.

Hmm. I don't really care for any edition of D&D (though I don't actively dislike any edition either), so I wasn't aware of the argument in the context of the edition wars. I understand associative versus dissociative mechanics, though I wouldn't say I care one way or the other regarding my games.

I mostly like The Alexandrian because I think his musings on adventure structure and design are rather insightful.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Lemon-Lime posted:

The critique of the "argument" is that it's insane garbage invented by a dumbass grognard who doesn't know what he's talking about.

I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Counterpoint: Exalted 2nd ED embraced "associative" mechanics to the maximum, where game terms like "motes" and such were measurable within the setting. This resulted in such hot garbage that even the biggest fans of Exalted 2E thought you should use a different system to play in the setting of Exalted 2E.

You have to understand that 4e D&D is the only edition to embrace things like "formal game design" or "good technical writing" over the traditional D&D development process of smashing together house-rules until you get a new edition. The true purpose of associative vs dis-associative rules is to insult people who enjoy playing RAW. 4e D&D is functional RAW, and all the variants of 3e D&D mostly aren't.

Is The Final Flicktier kickstarter any good?

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 6, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

'Disassociated' mechanics are... kind of all mechanics, or nearly all. It's just abstraction. D&D has traditionally attempted to justify greater abstraction by associating it with magic, which can be made to look like realism. 'Vancian' spellcasting is wildly unlike most fictional magical systems precisely because it's a game mechanic justified into the supposed rules of the universe. Letting both spells and sword techniques be represented by powers with limited uses isn't really any less associated, except according to weirdly specific complaints.

e: yeah, Exalted 2e is a good example - I ran that game for years, and the intense 'associative mechanics' of motes and charms as in-universe concepts was something I had to basically try to quash in order to have any real buy-in by players.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 6, 2019

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Jedit posted:

None of the action cards shown are robot-related. Someone's got issues :staredog:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Slowboat posted:

'Disassociated' mechanics are... kind of all mechanics, or nearly all. It's just abstraction. D&D has traditionally attempted to justify greater abstraction by associating it with magic, which can be made to look like realism. 'Vancian' spellcasting is wildly unlike most fictional magical systems precisely because it's a game mechanic justified into the supposed rules of the universe. Letting both spells and sword techniques be represented by powers with limited uses isn't really any less associated, except according to weirdly specific complaints.

I've been trying to figure out what could possibly be meant by 'diassociated mechanics' - particularly in regards to 4E - ever since I read about it earlier aside from 'I think this term makes me sound smart so I can dunk on the game.'

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

I've been trying to figure out what could possibly be meant by 'diassociated mechanics' - particularly in regards to 4E - ever since I read about it earlier aside from 'I think this term makes me sound smart so I can dunk on the game.'

As I had someone on RPGnet explain it to me, 4E's powers were dissociated because they gave you an output ("knock this enemy prone") but didn't care about whether that enemy was a human or a slime or a 500-legged mega-ant or a dragon or a beholder or whatever, in other words the mechanic is "dissociated" from the fictional verisimiliwhatsits, and therefore etc. etc.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah the idea is that the players have a different layer of decision-making than the characters would. Like an in-game wizard will cast a spell called "fireball" and knows he loses it for the day, etc. But a 4e fighter presumably doesn't know he used "come and get it" and can't again for five minutes whereas the player does.

You might think to yourself, "Holy poo poo what about saving throws, hit points, classes, levels, and so on?" in which case you've forgotten that 4e baaaad.

You might also have noticed how games like Fate, DW, etc. gleefully use mechanics like fate points which are much less "associated" in which case - again - you're forgetting they are not D&D and 4e baaaad.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I don't hate the Alexandrian despite the dissociated mechanics crap, but this article will always be the one that most makes me question his bonafides.

Just a mess of cherry picking 3e for situations that seem vaguely realistic in support of this point:

quote:

One of the most impressive things about 3rd Edition is the casual realism of the system. You can plug real world values into it, process them through the system, and get back a result with remarkable fidelity to what would happen in the real world.

Rules as physics is a hopeless goal, but it is unfathomably hopeless with 3e.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

EverettLO posted:

lol I forgot about that one.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

golden bubble posted:

Is The Final Flicktier kickstarter any good?

Something something parsec is a measure of distance and not time. I already hate it.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The Alexandrian has some dopey opinions but to my knowledge he isn't a racist or a sex pest which puts him in like, the top half of RPG bloggers.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

EverettLO posted:

I don't hate the Alexandrian despite the dissociated mechanics crap, but this article will always be the one that most makes me question his bonafides.

Just a mess of cherry picking 3e for situations that seem vaguely realistic in support of this point:

Remember, all things happen in discrete six second increments and it is impossible to act in smaller units of time.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah the idea is that the players have a different layer of decision-making than the characters would. Like an in-game wizard will cast a spell called "fireball" and knows he loses it for the day, etc. But a 4e fighter presumably doesn't know he used "come and get it" and can't again for five minutes whereas the player does.

You might think to yourself, "Holy poo poo what about saving throws, hit points, classes, levels, and so on?" in which case you've forgotten that 4e baaaad.

You might also have noticed how games like Fate, DW, etc. gleefully use mechanics like fate points which are much less "associated" in which case - again - you're forgetting they are not D&D and 4e baaaad.
Yeah, I'd say there's a scope for a game where the mechanics are designed very much with an eye to aiding immersion by limiting or eliminating the extent to which the player has access to information that the character doesn't have - say, you have wound level descriptors instead of hit points so you're thinking in terms of "Oh gently caress, I'm badly hurt" instead of "I have X number of points left in my pool", for instance, and you have similar descriptors for skills, and any number-crunching is either done by the referee behind the screen or at the very least is presented in terms which a character could broadly think about (kind of how BRP skills give you a percentage chance of success; your character might not be able to pluck that percentage out of thin air, but they probably have a sense of "Eh, I'll probably succeed at this" or "Eh, I'll probably fail" or whatever, and your skill ratings themselves map to an actual level of training and competence your character possesses). Dissociated/associated mechanics as a concept is a good idea because it's definitely a thing and it does have an effect on immersion for some people; I quite dug how Wrath & Glory's rulebook provided a handy sidebar on dialling back on the more narrative mechanics if people find them annoying.

But the idea that any edition of D&D is particularly less "dissociated" than 4E is goofybananas, and it's a shame that an actually interesting concept in discussing how the design and presentation of game mechanic affects immersion got coined for the sake of being a stick to hit 4E with by partisans whose pet games could equally get hit with the same stick.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hellboy Kickstarter Unboxing:

https://youtu.be/cMuErCiJkuc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thomas-biskup/the-adom-ancient-domains-of-mystery-roleplaying-ga

Thomas Biskup is running a kickstarter to develop a tabletop RPG adaptation of his roguelike, ADOM.

Before you get excited, understand that this game touts itself as being "OSR-compatible": it uses 4d6-drop-lowest and the six classic D&D stats, plus Appearance. Characters start with 1dx HP, the game uses BAB, and all that.

What I don't really get is, who was clamoring for this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

What I don't really get is, who was clamoring for this?

Thomas Biskup.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hell, I think some people would back on the strength of that art alone. That's gonna be one good looking book.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Yeah I wasn’t clamoring for it, but I sure as poo poo am tempted to back it.

e: Er.. wait. The pledge levels don’t cover the printing costs and shipping. Ugh. That’s a spicy meatball.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 15, 2019

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I obviously have some thoughts based on the nature of pricing in the TRPG industry.

But right now I'm a little hung up on restricting access to the PoD?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It reads to me that they're not restricting PoD. They're restricting print-at-cost access to PoD, and regular PoD will be available after the KS ends.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ettin posted:

Hell, I think some people would back on the strength of that art alone. That's gonna be one good looking book.

If you spring at least $50 for the colour version. Below that even the POD you get is black and white.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Biskup got burned Pretty Hard by the logistics and all else with his prior KS for ADOM Resurrection when it comes to the physical side of things especially, so it isn't surprising that he's going the extremely conservative route this time around---especially given the sheer size and art heavy nature of this thing.

While being generally OSR compatible, he's also been pretty decent on outlining it the last little while being meant to be "pretty much" worked into the current D&D incarnation as well.

https://www.adom-rpg.com/category/general/

Doesn't stop the whole project from being a bit out there, let alone with him intending to do another KS for the new proper ADOM Roguelike right after this come the end of Feb---but the novelty of a Roguelike crossing over to P&P as opposed to the still all too much of a rarity in the form of the other way around is heartwarming.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Jordan Draper is running his latest Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jordandraper/tokyo-series-tabletop-games

Two main attractions this time: the next three Tokyo Series games and three games from Japanese developers that he's rethemed and translated to English.

The Tokyo Series games are following the same basic pattern as the first three; one framework of various little plastic bits and a rulebook full of guest designed games, one heavy economic game, and one wacky physical game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Was Tokyo Metro any good because I might grab that and the fish market one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Buck Wildman posted:

Was Tokyo Metro any good because I might grab that and the fish market one.

I really like Tokyo Metro. I've played solo and 2 player so far, would really like to put together a 3 or 4 player game at some point just to see how crazy the trains get with multiple people running lines at once.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

One last Orc Stabr thing. I put up the 300~ photos I took of various Really Good Orc Stabr's we made. I hope you all enjoy them.
https://imgur.com/a/sim0mh6

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Flying Circus Kickstarter Update!

With a progress report and previews of four of the playbooks, with art!

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 18, 2019

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
Dangit LatwPIAT I was just on my way here to do the self-promotion thing and actual put some effort into marketing for a change and you snake it from me!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'll say it again, I appreciate the insights into the ideas behind the playbooks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

open_sketchbook posted:

Dangit LatwPIAT I was just on my way here to do the self-promotion thing and actual put some effort into marketing for a change and you snake it from me!

Owned by your own fans.