Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Why remove RFTools though. Makes storage solutions too easy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
RFTools is still in, apparently, it's just RFTools Dimensions that was removed.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Okay, that's way more understandable.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah i think you're kind of missing the point of why it was removed

Wasn't really paying attention to the context; I just think RS is bad.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Wasn't really paying attention to the context; I just think RS is bad.

i was mainly aiming it at the person saying they took it out to make things 'harder'. game performance counts for a lot.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Syka posted:

RFTools is still in, apparently, it's just RFTools Dimensions that was removed.

Yeah, it looks like they added a Stoneblock-specific dimensions mod.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Fortis posted:

Did they replace RS with AE2? As far as I know, AE2 is still as server friendly as ever.

AE2 was already in there.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'll be honest - I'm just happy to have a chance to play around with the new quest mod some more.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Playing Stoneblock 2 for a bit and all I can really think is how much chickens suck when you don’t have an easy acceleration wand to speed up getting them all to 10/10/10.

There is also fluids cows now too and they have a cow stall to make “milking” them much easier, but unfortunately their breeding time pauses when in the stall.

Also with the ftb loot crate system being used is their anyway to see the full list of items each crate can drop? Plus 42 more items isn’t really all that helpful of a tooltip.

As always the quest rewards are a quick way to trivialize some things, as I ended up with like 16 of the tier 6 mystical agricultural essence as a reward and even a couple of the cruxes.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Maguoob posted:

As always the quest rewards are a quick way to trivialize some things, as I ended up with like 16 of the tier 6 mystical agricultural essence as a reward and even a couple of the cruxes.

Yeah I guess I've just been playing expert mode packs for so long that I kind of enjoy having a big bonus item early on that changes my playthrough.

edit: in Stoneblock 1 I got a supreme furnace and this time I got a Repair Talisman, both of those are kind of fun to have early.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Enigmatica 2 skyblock

How do i make titanium in the advanced mettaluiric fabricator?

Ive got liquid chlorine, the mag ore, the salt, the carbon plate.

Machine is at 8000/20000 energy so its working?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

So what is the general opinion on Forestry? From what I can tell it adds more trees/wood types, (something Biomes 'O Plenty already does in spades, and with better cross mod compatibility to boot) a tree farm, bee breeding, and tree breeding. There are already plenty of tree farm options that seem easier to setup and manage and both of the breeding things seem like a huge pile of grindy work for relatively little reward.

For some reason Forsetry makes me think of IC2 and its mandatory masochism, although not as bad. Or am I totally wrong here?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Antillie posted:

So what is the general opinion on Forestry? From what I can tell it adds more trees/wood types, (something Biomes 'O Plenty already does in spades, and with better cross mod compatibility to boot) a tree farm, bee breeding, and tree breeding. There are already plenty of tree farm options that seem easier to setup and manage and both of the breeding things seem like a huge pile of grindy work for relatively little reward.

For some reason Forsetry makes me think of IC2 and its mandatory masochism, although not as bad. Or am I totally wrong here?

You nailed it. Forestry trees are basically useless aside from cosmetic value and seed oil, while bees are a hell of a grind before you get to anything useful, and then it takes a lot of effort to get the useful stuff at any appreciable rate.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Antillie posted:

It's basically a relic of the old days of Minecraft. It persists for nostalgia factor only. Also, bees are hell.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it lets you create some pretty, natural spaces with the cool variety of trees and the butterflies and whatnot

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Forestry was the first* mod to focus on automating crops, and plant growth in general. Honestly, the early versions had a neat set of tools and a cool dependency 'web' where once you got enough stuff automated all the machines could start feeding into each other and you would have a fully self-sufficient crop growing setup. Bees were also there.

But at some point the author got his head planted firmly up his rear end, reworked the mod in the name of 'balance' and now it's grindy and not great. Also he added tree breeding, a tortuously slow 'endgame' that has an impressive amount of content no-one will ever see without cheating it in.

*maybe minefactory was earlier but it wasn't in any of the early modpacks I played

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
It sucks that ATM3 depends on bees for the cool endgame stuff.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ok someone tell me an easier way to get ender pearls in Ultimate Alchemy. I am loving sick and tired of grinding up stacks of pistons and drying the soggy pearls. I tried making a loonium to get ender lilies but after spending an entire mana pool and getting mostly garbage a creeper blew up the flower and I am NOT MAKING ANOTHER loving LOONIUM. Why the gently caress did vanksii turn it into a mob spawner?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Just automate it? Send pistons into a pulverizer and output to a row of drying racks, then use TE pipes with whitelisted servos to pull the ender pearls once they dry?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Just automate it? Send pistons into a pulverizer and output to a row of drying racks, then use TE pipes with whitelisted servos to pull the ender pearls once they dry?

I didn't think drying racks could be automated, but I suppose that works yeah.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

McFrugal posted:

I didn't think drying racks could be automated, but I suppose that works yeah.

Yeah it looks stupid but they're affected by hoppers and whatnot.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I tried and was unable to get SevTech running on my laptop. Loaded up fine but framerate slowed to like 3 fpm. And after screwing around disabling mods cant even get it to run now.
Though I did come across Engineers Life which is pretty similar as far as I can tell from watching Iskalls SevTech lets play. And runs pretty good on my Laptop.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Meskhenet posted:

Enigmatica 2 skyblock

How do i make titanium in the advanced mettaluiric fabricator?

Ive got liquid chlorine, the mag ore, the salt, the carbon plate.

Machine is at 8000/20000 energy so its working?

You might need more RF input. IIRC it needs 100k RF/t, which means you'll need both an input pipe that can transfer that and an energy input block that can hold that much.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

OgNar posted:

I tried and was unable to get SevTech running on my laptop. Loaded up fine but framerate slowed to like 3 fpm. And after screwing around disabling mods cant even get it to run now.
Though I did come across Engineers Life which is pretty similar as far as I can tell from watching Iskalls SevTech lets play. And runs pretty good on my Laptop.

Look for a Mipmaps setting in options, turn it off if it's on.

OgNar posted:

I did that before even loading up the first world. And it has been automatically off the last few modpacks I have loaded up.

The Direwolf20 pack and Engineers life runs fine, and I am pretty adept at lowering settings in general since I do have an I-3 level laptop. Something about Sevtech just doesn't want to run decently.

Oh. Well, poo poo.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 9, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Black Pants posted:

Look for a Mipmaps setting in options, turn it off if it's on.

I did that before even loading up the first world. And it has been automatically off the last few modpacks I have loaded up.

The Direwolf20 pack and Engineers life runs fine, and I am pretty adept at lowering settings in general since I do have an I-3 level laptop. Something about Sevtech just doesn't want to run decently.

Anyone have suggestions on editing recipes? Engineers life is a pretty decent modpack but quantities are greatly reduced. i.e. 1 nugget instead of 1 ingot when smelted. I understand they want to give a sense of progression but that is just overly grindy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Sevtech is definitely an incredibly high-demand modpack and it runs really poorly on my machine as well, which is a bit of a shame for how much fun it was while I was able to stomach it.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

You might need more RF input. IIRC it needs 100k RF/t, which means you'll need both an input pipe that can transfer that and an energy input block that can hold that much.

Yeah, it still bullshit. I just built an observatory and sent a rocket into space for 2 minutes and it came back with 500+ titanium ore for me, so 1500 ingots as i can only be arsed 3x meking my ores.

But now.

ender io. (and the new crap it adds)

Im thinking i might just creative in a stack of the crap green dye. that is a huge step backwards.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah I'm really disappointed that enderIO people seemed to have developed the "useless busywork = fun" brain worms. Time to stand around some bedrock and light it on fire repeatedly to get anything done!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Xun posted:

Yeah I'm really disappointed that enderIO people seemed to have developed the "useless busywork = fun" brain worms. Time to stand around some bedrock and light it on fire repeatedly to get anything done!

No but don't you understand you can use a dispenser and a redstone clock and a vacuum chest and a bunch of flint and steels and you can get all the grains of infinity you want to build out dozens of simple machine frames to powdercoat to get to a point where :smithicide:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Been trying out Engineer's Life a bit and it's stuffed with way more mods than I was expecting given it's description, but I guess makes sense as a sort of SevTech light. But what I'm really looking for though is something that's basically just the first age of SevTech. The whole caveman experience is fantastic fun, but trying to run Sevtech itself causes my system to chug and it takes forever for Minecraft to even start up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I found my copy of Technodefirmacraft a while back, and decided to reinstall it and and have really been enjoying it. IIRC, a goon made it, so I just wanted to thank him, in case he's still reading this thread. Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I found my copy of Technodefirmacraft a while back, and decided to reinstall it and and have really been enjoying it. IIRC, a goon made it, so I just wanted to thank him, in case he's still reading this thread. Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun.
Heyo, that's me. Assuming you mean Technodefirmacraft EZ. The original Technodefirmacraft is what I built it off of.
But that's a good pack, too. Glad you're having fun either way. I was considering dipping back into it myself, now that I've forgotten most of putting it together maybe I can just focus on enjoying it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Heyo, that's me. Assuming you mean Technodefirmacraft EZ. The original Technodefirmacraft is what I built it off of.
But that's a good pack, too. Glad you're having fun either way. I was considering dipping back into it myself, now that I've forgotten most of putting it together maybe I can just focus on enjoying it.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant, the EZ version. I just made the Railcraft blast furnace and the vanilla furnace; now I just gotta track down some Nickel...

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Some mod packs are certainly insane. I'm fine with Madpack 4 making literally everything except dirt and stone have a chance to spawn mobs when you break them, but forced boss fights with minecraft combat are a big no from me.

So if you want to play a pack with a 100% chance of you dying and restarting (since you're supposed to play it in hardcore mod) than this is the pack for you. Also farting cows will chase you around and be generally annoying until you murder them.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Mmm, precious automation. Automating stuff in Ultimate Alchemy looks a bit weird but I am definitely not complaining. I like how mechanical crafters work. Very convenient.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Now get some mechanical users with acceleration wands hitting those drying racks.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Now get some mechanical users with acceleration wands hitting those drying racks.

Nah it's fast enough. The racks are almost always full, but the piston pulverizer and lever pulverizer are setting the pace, not the racks. It's pretty close though, even with the pulverizers going at 60 rf/t.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you liked Stoneblock, you might want to check out Breakout, which is a pretty interesting take on it.

The idea is that you start in a 3x3x3 room surrounded by wool, and outside the wool is a layer of wood and planks. Beyond that is a layer of stone, and beyond that is a layer of polished andesite, and so on. Pretty much every recipe has changed, as have gathering methods.

Trying to break the wool with your bare hand gives you a ton of string before it breaks, but trying to break planks with your bare hand breaks the planks, only gives you some sticks, and hurts you. But once you get past that, you can use the sticks to chip at the stone to get flint, which you can use to make a flint hatchet so you can actually harvest the wood. Most of your early resources are acquired via strainers near the one ice block you find in the stone layer.

The quests do a pretty good job guiding you through things, which is good because a lot of stuff has changed from defaults. It feels like an expert pack but at the same time it doesn't, if that makes any sense.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you liked Stoneblock, you might want to check out Breakout, which is a pretty interesting take on it.

The idea is that you start in a 3x3x3 room surrounded by wool, and outside the wool is a layer of wood and planks. Beyond that is a layer of stone, and beyond that is a layer of polished andesite, and so on. Pretty much every recipe has changed, as have gathering methods.

Trying to break the wool with your bare hand gives you a ton of string before it breaks, but trying to break planks with your bare hand breaks the planks, only gives you some sticks, and hurts you. But once you get past that, you can use the sticks to chip at the stone to get flint, which you can use to make a flint hatchet so you can actually harvest the wood. Most of your early resources are acquired via strainers near the one ice block you find in the stone layer.

The quests do a pretty good job guiding you through things, which is good because a lot of stuff has changed from defaults. It feels like an expert pack but at the same time it doesn't, if that makes any sense.

I gave this a shot and it's pretty fun. I did add Tree Growing Simulator to my version, though, because I hate waiting for trees to grow and trees + cramped quarters means it's really easy to waste a shitload of bonemeal and not have the tree grow due to something being in the way. I got to the iron pick before I called it quits for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im still plugging along in eningmatica2.

I just built my tier 5 solar (using still t4 panels, but im getting to it.)

Now this thing pumps out 650K rf. What am i meant to be using to store/buffer this?

If i put 2 ender/io cap's together will that be a 100k in/out like they used to do? Meaning i really want to have a bank of 8 of these right under the controller (for now).

And

What am i going to need to automate my wither farm?

Ive got the builder. I can set it to a timer. I know a mob grinder isnt going to work. Will a killer joe? or do i need to get the draconic mob grinder?