Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

Yes. Gotta have that cliched Hollywood, storybook ending, I guess.

Pretty glad the final season of Series Of Unfortunate Events did not just give the 3 main characters an unambiguously happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The MSJ posted:

That sounds totally amazing.

It totally is amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Atlanta is finally on Hulu and it’s great.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
So there is a new series on Netflix that looks to be a modern day adaptation of Perfume. I watched the first episode and thought it was pretty good. If you are a fan of the book or movie you might want to give the first episode a watch.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
looks like the original movie is on Prime too

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was surprised they even made one attempt at adapting Perfume and now there's a second one? It's nearly impossible to capture the essence of the book because how do you film a story dominated by smell?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Ok im up to episode 5 and it turns out it is very very loosely based. It is more of a procedural deceive story investigating a murder revolving around a group of boarding school friends.

Light spoilers from four episodes in
It is revealed that as Kids they became obsessed with the book Perfume and start experimenting with creating their own. There is a Grenouille type character who makes perfumes but he only seems to be there to be the creepy guy who the police suspect is recreating the murders from the book to make his perfumes

It’s only six episodes and is holding my attention so I’m going to finish the last two but it isn’t the modern retelling it seemed to be after episode one.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I might be super late to this but looks like Hulu also added all of American Dad including the most recent seasons on TBS, which are still super funny.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of Seth MacFarlane on Hulu, I'm not really a fan but caught a bit of The Orville after a football game and thought it was decent. I'm about halfway through s1 now and am really enjoying this.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Enos Cabell posted:

Speaking of Seth MacFarlane on Hulu, I'm not really a fan but caught a bit of The Orville after a football game and thought it was decent. I'm about halfway through s1 now and am really enjoying this.
Yeah I started watching it too. It’s not nearly as jokey as I thought it would be. The setting is basically a perfectly straight Star Trek clone. The humor so far is just a few quips here and there.

If you really wanted a TNG Season 8, here you go. McFarlane really seems like a genuine fan.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

david_a posted:

Yeah I started watching it too. It’s not nearly as jokey as I thought it would be. The setting is basically a perfectly straight Star Trek clone. The humor so far is just a few quips here and there.

If you really wanted a TNG Season 8, here you go. McFarlane really seems like a genuine fan.

Yeah, I thought it was supposed to be more of a spoof of Star Trek but it's actually a loving homage with some light jokes.

was also really surprised to see LIAM NEESONS and Charlize Theron pop up in a few episodes

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The MSJ posted:

That sounds totally amazing.

I saw that movie when it came out and Luis Guzman is the only thing I remember from it, so I'm just going to go ahead and say he's good. Also, I just really like Luis Guzman.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Orville is pretty great, it's actually pretty funny and is just serious enough to be engaging despite the comedy.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

I might be super late to this but looks like Hulu also added all of American Dad including the most recent seasons on TBS, which are still super funny.

American Dad is so good, it keeps getting better and I honestly don’t know how, since similar animated shows saw a marked decline in quality by like season 14. I’m impressed by how creative they manage to be, Blood Crieth Unto Heaven was hilariously unique and I can’t think of anything like it, as an example.

Anyway I’m on season 2 of The Expanse after powering through the first parts which I felt were a little slow and I’m definitely into it now, though I’d still like a little more world building over Serious People Having Conversations that is mostly a testament to the quality of the setting they’ve created. I’ve heard the books aren’t really worth it if you’ve watched the show but I’m hungry for details. I hope it manages to finish its story arcs before getting canceled too, that would bum me out

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Of course neither The Orville or American Dad will ever be able to top Macfarlane's magnum opus.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Does Orville get better later on?
I've seen the first episode and it didn't quite grip me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Negotiating in terms of what? Existing series getting renewed and their revenue split?

Essentially, yes. Netflix is primarily a distribution company and still has a pretty small production apparatus (all the Marvel shows, for example, were fully produced by Marvel Television). Its business model for streaming has changed a lot over the years; they started off by paying studios a fee every time a movie or an episode of a show was streamed, then they threw their dick on the table and said, "We'll pay you a flat fee no matter how much your movie / show gets watched, and you won't get a penny more."

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I’ll give Orville a chance, I had skipped it entirely because I don’t like his cartoons and thought it’d be the same.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Monglo posted:

The first episode isn't my favorite but it is similar to the rest of the show. It might just not be your thing but it'd probably be worth sticking around for one or two more episodes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Orville has lovers in TVIV but it wasn't my thing either. It just bored me.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Crossposting:

Cam, 2018. A movie I put on to watch in the background while I worked on a business plan and ended up shutting my laptop after a few minutes when I realised I wasn't getting any work done. Weirdly gripping, and certainly something I'd recommend. In the vein of Upgrade, Coherence, Enemy, The Double, Compliance, Black Swan. If you're a fan of any of those I'd check it out. Solid B.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Thought I'd chime in and say that Hereditary is a drat good movie.

I also watched Gantz:O on Netflix, which is pretty much a CGI anime. I really enjoyed all the monster designs though, and the CGI is amazing to watch!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Timby posted:

Essentially, yes. Netflix is primarily a distribution company and still has a pretty small production apparatus (all the Marvel shows, for example, were fully produced by Marvel Television). Its business model for streaming has changed a lot over the years; they started off by paying studios a fee every time a movie or an episode of a show was streamed, then they threw their dick on the table and said, "We'll pay you a flat fee no matter how much your movie / show gets watched, and you won't get a penny more."

Wow that sounds really lovely. Though isn't that why they are making a profit now or were they making a profit before?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Monglo posted:

I think I’m like 6-7 episodes in and so far it’s fairly consistent but I think I remember hearing one of the later episodes is supposed to be a standout. I’ve been pretty lenient with it because it’s so shamelessly similar to TNG. If you want more of that type of show and you don’t just want to rewatch TNG again then I think you’ll end up liking it, but I certainly wouldn’t say this show is top-tier modern television.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Cooties is on HBO Go. It's that kids at school turn into zombies movie. It's got Elijah Wood, allison Pill, and Rainn Wilson, Jack McBrayer, and the fat dude from Lost.

It kind of rules. It's really funny at times.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
Didn't Netflix have a hand in producing Annihilation? It just popped up on Hulu for me (in the US).

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I watched Annihilation after reading everyone in this thread discuss it, having never heard of it before that, and I was pretty disappointed. It felt like an earnest attempt at making a good movie that just fell flat and was borderline nonsensical at time, and even though it was mostly explained, I still didn't find the explanations compelling and the twist at the end was obvious from a mile away, and felt tacked on but I do think the scenes where they encountered the crocodile and especially the bear were well done, and the part where they explored the abandoned base was spooky and had good ambiance . I know it isn't fair to compare it to STALKER but it really feels like they could have at least drawn some inspiration from its pacing and the way the characters had their motivations explained, the flashbacks sucked and felt really inelegant.

Overall I didn't hate it but I thought it was a major case of failed potential, back to watching the Expanse

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mr. Toodles posted:

Didn't Netflix have a hand in producing Annihilation? It just popped up on Hulu for me (in the US).

I assume it wouldn't be on Hulu if Netflix partially produced it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think Netflix released it internationally while America had its theatrical run

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Mr. Toodles posted:

It’s also on Amazon now for people without Hulu.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What’s good and relatively new on HBO? I just resubbed to watch Veep again but I might as well see what’s new in the past six months.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Orville honestly handles its serious topics with a good amount of tact. It also tackles some more iffy subjects that a Star Trek would have explored in a much more sanitized way.

I also like that despite a good chunk of the crew being pretty goofy, they're all quite competent at their jobs and they don't play them as bumbling fools for laughs.

Still amazed that this is the same man that did Family Guy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Annihilation is on Hulu in America now :woop:

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Frog Act posted:

I watched Annihilation after reading everyone in this thread discuss it, having never heard of it before that, and I was pretty disappointed. It felt like an earnest attempt at making a good movie that just fell flat and was borderline nonsensical at time, and even though it was mostly explained, I still didn't find the explanations compelling and the twist at the end was obvious from a mile away, and felt tacked on but I do think the scenes where they encountered the crocodile and especially the bear were well done, and the part where they explored the abandoned base was spooky and had good ambiance . I know it isn't fair to compare it to STALKER but it really feels like they could have at least drawn some inspiration from its pacing and the way the characters had their motivations explained, the flashbacks sucked and felt really inelegant.

Overall I didn't hate it but I thought it was a major case of failed potential, back to watching the Expanse

Pretty much agree, I enjoyed it while I was watching it, but it didn't add up to much for me. Ooh it's the same house as the one outside of the shimmer, because, um, that's one of the themes. That bit reminded me of Down By Law, where it was a gag and drawing parallels to the prison.

I've thought more about Cam and its take on identity and personas than Annihilation. BTW, I don't really buy what seems to be a common explanation for the strange happenings in Cam AI/CGI, I don't think it needs a neat explanation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What’s good and relatively new on HBO? I just resubbed to watch Veep again but I might as well see what’s new in the past six months.

New season of Room 104 is ok. It's kind of inconsistent but as far as anthology shows go it's not that bad. other than that I dunno. HBO hasn't really been knocking it out of the park lately. It's basically a small handful of middling shows and movies and final GOT season teasers. Yet it's the most expensive streaming service for some inexplicable reason.

maybe the new true detective will be good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d been meaning to watch it for years now, but Robot & Frank is up on Amazon Prime. Solid little flick with a great performance by Frank Langella.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d been meaning to watch it for years now, but Robot & Frank is up on Amazon Prime. Solid little flick with a great performance by Frank Langella.

I can't stop laughing at the self destruct scene.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The MSJ posted:

I can't stop laughing at the self destruct scene.

That one and the two robots trying small talk are probably my favorite scenes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

New season of Room 104 is ok. It's kind of inconsistent but as far as anthology shows go it's not that bad. other than that I dunno. HBO hasn't really been knocking it out of the park lately. It's basically a small handful of middling shows and movies and final GOT season teasers. Yet it's the most expensive streaming service for some inexplicable reason.

maybe the new true detective will be good.

They did this 10 years ago or so. They decided that they wanted to get out of the big TV production game, so they canceled their more expensive shows like Deadwood, Rome and Carnivale, and put out a bunch of much cheaper shows. We did get some good things out of it like Flight of the Conchords, Summer Heights High and Eastdown and Bound. But we also got Tell Me You Love Me, and John from Cincinnati. And none of these did all that well, regardless of quality. The only true hit they got out of this era was True Blood.

Once Game of Thrones ends in a few months and everybody cancels their HBO subscriptions, they're going to realize, "Oh, gently caress...", they're going to realize that they need more than one big hit at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
True Detective season 3 premiers next Sunday, which leads right into GoT, so HBO Now is a definite keep for the next six months.