Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

csammis posted:

I remember seeing this strip in the papers when it ran :corsair:

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

I read The Time-Traveler’s Wife too, Holbrook. Is this also going to end in tragedy for everyone involved? Please?

E:

But... ducks are a kind of bird? :whoptc:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think it's weird for someone in the 18th century to not know about birds, but what do I knowbelieve or not.

I appreciated this. :parrot:

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 6, 2019

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

csammis posted:

I remember seeing this strip in the papers when it ran :corsair:

I will admit, knowing that this was going on around the same time as foob's golden age, I'm a little confused why Johnson got a million plaudits for being a progressive thinker but I never heard of Arlo and Janis before I started reading this thread.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

How mean!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i like that he signed it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Savidudeosoo posted:

I'm really enjoying "A Problem Like Jamal", old man faces aside. Keep up the good work, Vargo!

Seconded, it's real good. The art isn't even that bad compared to some of the stuff that gets posted here.

(Why the hell do people want to touch other peoples' hair anyway? That poo poo's weird and creepy, don't do that.)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

(Why the hell do people want to touch other peoples' hair anyway? That poo poo's weird and creepy, don't do that.)

I am a white dude but what must short out in your brain to even think of asking to touch a black person's hair?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

doesn't cross-race hair touching come up a couple times in mother from another country?

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
I admit I sometimes find myself wondering what someone's hair (or jacket, or sweater, or whatever) would feel like to touch, but I don't ask to touch them because I'm a frigging adult.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Glorified Scrivener posted:

I wanted to pick up one more strip and I settled on Tarzan. I know it will have some problematic content, but I love the old adventure strips. The GoComics archives starts in media res with a 1971 story called "Cult of the Mahar" and I just can't get enough of these goofy looking evil psychic Pterosaurs from hollow earth. I mean, look at that face:

Anyway, I did find a source for the full story, so let's start at the beginning.

Tarzan

Russ Manning! :swoon:
The first comics I ever read were my cousin's Magnus Robot Fighter Collection, and I still love Russ' art.

no robots in Tarzan, I'm guessing...?

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

*ERROR*
*ERROR*

*DOUBLE POST DETECTED*

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 6, 2019

Palette swap
Mar 29, 2010

"There is a professional misconduct hearing over here with your name on it"

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (July 25-27, 1935)

I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
random Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

Rover? That you?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

So why don't they make the entire body out of the liver?

:rimshot:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You can't loving do that! She's in college, he's an adult! They are your ROOMMATES at this point!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 14, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 14, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 14, 1987)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: Corto makes friends with the local law as is his wont, or General Chang makes Corto break his motto re. numbers of partners, or When hanging people just isn't enough

So our second book ends! But in the next book, we'll finally see this damned train; along with the story's femme fatale in...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

drat :stonk:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set gets in a good one.

Working Daze resolves to be unfunny.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix has heard this one before.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Two thoughts:

1. I hate CinemaSins but they're right that characters who eat apples are assholes

2. ...hasn't there been a bunch of strips where Dilbert complains about his coworkers being loud and making him lose his concentration?

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ballard Street

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 6, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hey can anyone help me to identify this strip?

These were published in Finland in 1967-69 under the title "Viljami". So the best guess for the original name would be "William" or something similar.
'

VVVV Thanks!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 6, 2019

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Kennel posted:

Hey can anyone help me to identify this strip?

These were published in Finland in 1967-69 under the title "Viljami". So the best guess for the original name would be "William" or something similar.

Looks like Will-Yum by Dave Gerard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

I am a white dude but what must short out in your brain to even think of asking to touch a black person's hair?

Hahaha "asking"? My black friends constantly complain about white people just going for it. At best, it's extremely disrespectful, and at worst it's racist.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Strontium posted:

random Intelligent Life

Really loving weird to see an IL strip that has perspective changes and angles and...action and poo poo as opposed to two to three people from the waist up all B^U about their costume fetishes.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Sam's Strip

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/13/88

Tarzan

Glorified Scrivener fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 10, 2019

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Wow, I can hardly believe that claim about the most well-known thing that historical figure did.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

uhhh Baldo

Wallace

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am enjoying Ye Olde Foxtrot and can't wait to see more!

Thanks! I really dig Everett True and actually have a deep nostalgic affection for old Heathcliff mostly from the TV Show and the Marvel Comics adaptation, but I remember having a bunch of the paperback collections as a kid as well.

I... respect the artistry in Andy Capp more often than it makes me laugh? The older single panel comics have great draftsmanship, and I admire the economy of the new ones.

Selachian posted:

Definitely looks better than the movie version.

Oh jeez, that's At the Earth's Core? Great McClure/Cushing Film. Thanks for posting Retail by the way, I've been enjoying it.

catlord posted:

Oh, interesting! I have to admit, I've never read the original Tarzan stories, so when I picked up Tarzan vs Predator I was surprised when these guys showed up. I'm looking forward to it! Also glad to see Foxtrot, I know there's a lot I've never seen.

Huh, I'll have to check those out. The Mahars are from another Burroughs series, and he did a crossover between Tarzan and Pellucidar, so it makes sense they'd show up in newer crossovers.

Esplanade posted:

Russ Manning! :swoon:
The first comics I ever read were my cousin's Magnus Robot Fighter Collection, and I still love Russ' art.

Yep, he drew the daily from 67-72, I like his art too, so I might go back and start from the beginning of his run after this story line.

And nope, I don't think there are any robots in his Tarzan run, but he did do the Star Wars Comic Strip for a while.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Rahonavis posted:

But... ducks are a kind of bird? :whoptc:

You ever see a sparrow smoking an unfiltered cigarette? Didn't think so. :colbert:

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 9, 1972)

BoyLisa and Mopey Pete's Rainy Day Fun Page

Crankshaft

And now, as promised on New Year's Day, Life Presents Skippy.

Before the name was bolted to the legacy of the Time-Warner media megalith, there was a whole other Life Magazine, a weekly that was effectively the American answer to Punch. While there were written pieces, the founder was a professional illustrator and it was one of the first periodicals to use a new high quality printing process, so the big draw was the art. Life v.1.0 was the launching point for Charles Dana Gibson, who eventually became a big enough deal that he bought the magazine, and his Gibson girls. Over the years, its pages hosted Robert Ripley, Norman Rockwell, Palmer Cox, H.T. Webster...and, eventually, some dude (and (no fooling) future Olympic medalist in drawing and watercolors) named Percy Crosby.

(Proto-Skippy from February 1, 1923)

While Crosby was churning out newspaper features at a pretty good clip in the teens and twenties, magazines were the prestige gig, especially in one that cost you 15 whole cents at the newsstand. As subject matter goes, he'd been gravitating towards kids, particularly urban and slum kids, in his frequent Life contributions, so when he pitched a regular feature to his editors, that's what he brought to the table. "I drew up three pages and thought of forty-four names (among them Beanie and Jumper)—Skippy last on the list. A minor editor put his oar in and suggested Tiny Tim. I bristled with [sic] such uncalled-for interference, and... the thought flashed through my mind: '[The title] had to be Skippy and nothing else!'"

The editors were high enough on Skippy that they introduced the new feature with a full-page ad. And if all of the above is kind of a long-winded introduction for a single cartoon page every Sunday, obviously I picked a title that needs an explanation. Also, I like making words. It's a great way to remember your alphabet.

(March 23, 1923)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

She might be doing that old Sesame Street bit. Best pick up a container of milk, too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Glorified Scrivener posted:

And nope, I don't think there are any robots in his Tarzan run, but he did do the Star Wars Comic Strip for a while.

That early licensed Star Wars stuff is so wild to read.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"HOW DOES SHE KNOW HOW WIDE THE DOORS ARE" got a chuckle from me

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EasyEW posted:

You ever see a sparrow smoking an unfiltered cigarette? Didn't think so. :colbert:
A sparrow, no, but I once saw a puffin

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Left myself wide open for that, didn't I...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is supposedly a MIDDLE SCHOOL child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Ha ha! It's funny because that child lives in constant fear of being kidnapped and eaten!

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can't loving do that! She's in college, he's an adult! They are your ROOMMATES at this point!

I think she's in high school. But the point totally stands on Dustin.

You know, Lynn, you won't lose status in the family if you just say, "he's keeping my feet warm."

Hostile V posted:

Really loving weird to see an IL strip that has perspective changes and angles and...action and poo poo as opposed to two to three people from the waist up all B^U about their costume fetishes.

It's like there's this really clear timeline from "My comic is new and I need to make an effort to get into papers," to "I just looked at the comics page and obviously I don't have to make an effort after all," to "Aw, poo poo, I should have made an effort."