Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I realized recently that most of my friends and acquaintances, to the extent that they even care, are more or less partisan democrats who participate in politics in two ways: voting in presidential elections and feeling angry about things other people got that they didn't. the most animated people get is when they get mad about the dude they know who's totally just fat and gets disability and ugh why are people such lazy leeches, etc etc. since its a perceptible "injustice" (if you have liberal brain poisoning) its easier to get angry about than the actual injustice that characterizes our economic system at every level.

then I think about the people I know from grad school who actually do engage with politics, unlike my stoner tradespeople friends, and they're just a bunch of loving liberals who genuinely believe the system that served them well enough to become property owners before thirty is something that can be saved and are totally uncomfortable with the idea of disrupting that status quo and thus their research / activism / whatever pursuits that require inequality and bullshit to study and grouse about.

nothing will ever change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Frog Act posted:

nothing will ever change

Extinction it is!
:dehumanize:
:killing:
:votegop:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

There's a pretty good chance capitalism will just seize to be viable and die violently within a decade or two so change isn't off the table. It may not be very good change though.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Grevling posted:

There's a pretty good chance capitalism will just cease to be viable and die violently within a decade or two so change isn't off the table. It may not be very good change though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Platystemon posted:

State religion.

hell yeah pumped for the new cult of the supreme being

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Len posted:

Anyone use a Teladoc system? I don't know how but I imagine doctors that give you medicine over a 5 minute phone call are bad. My work insurance would rather I use the free Teladoc system than visit an actual primary care provider.

When our dumb hosed up health care system makes my insurance carrier decide that they won't be covering prescriptions from a given pharmacy, it'd be nice to be able to get my prescription sent to the insurance company's own pharmacy they desperately want me to use without trying to catch my normal doctor in between seeing patients and worrying about what stupid loving copay I'll have to pay.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Len posted:

Anyone use a Teladoc system? I don't know how but I imagine doctors that give you medicine over a 5 minute phone call are bad. My work insurance would rather I use the free Teladoc system than visit an actual primary care provider.

i use it to get a z pack when i know i have a sinus infection rather than wait the 2 weeks for an appointment with my pcp or pay the $150 to ready care

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Grevling posted:

There's a pretty good chance capitalism will just seize to be viable and die violently within a decade or two so change isn't off the table. It may not be very good change though.

Love 2 stand at crossroads

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Not exactly breaking news but lol that this store exists with this name all over America and nobody stops to think "this is bad"

I suddenly feel like playing Tropico.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

TIL that Sriracha's inventor doesn't give a gently caress about money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MICQb4QW448

He's 74 so we'll see if that changes when he retires/dies

they opened that sriracha factory and all the rich fuckers across the river or w/e tried to sue because they hated the spicy smells
e: lol it's in the same fuckin vid

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

hell yeah pumped for the new cult of the supreme being

i don't know what world war 3 will be fought with, but the world war 4 setting will have warhammer rulebooks

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'd be pretty pissed if the neighbours suddenly started pepperspraying my house.

However if they moved into the neighbourhood with the intention of suing them into closing down then gently caress em.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Grevling posted:

People have been saying this since Karl Marx finished his first bottle of booze and they're just as delusional as you. Capitalism will not allow itself to be replaced, even as it continues to fail.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

boar guy posted:

i use it to get a z pack when i know i have a sinus infection rather than wait the 2 weeks for an appointment with my pcp or pay the $150 to ready care

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a bad system because it was great to get antibiotics without trying to get a same day appointment.

Where the problem lies for me is that the bastards I work for sent out an email that they'd rather us use Teladoc than visit a PCP in the first place because we're using too much health insurance and it's costing the company money.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Len posted:

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a bad system because it was great to get antibiotics without trying to get a same day appointment.

Where the problem lies for me is that the bastards I work for sent out an email that they'd rather us use Teladoc than visit a PCP in the first place because we're using too much health insurance and it's costing the company money.

teladocsbusinessmodel.txt

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Most Americans would gladly buy the durable, long lasting goods they/their parents grew up with, but those goods aren't profitable enough so they're only sold with an obscene markup (if they're available at all)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

T-man posted:

People have been saying this since Karl Marx finished his first bottle of booze and they're just as delusional as you. Capitalism will not allow itself to be replaced, even as it continues to fail.

it would basically require a global cataclysm or replacemen with some other way imo

how bout that global warming. bet it gets pretty fuckin crazy. guess we'll see

e:

Tastykake posted:

Most Americans would gladly buy the durable, long lasting goods they/their parents grew up with, but those goods aren't profitable enough so they're only sold with an obscene markup (if they're available at all)

yeah you basically got to be able to make poo poo if you really want something like that. Chisel? ok. washing machine? uh...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I did a short research project on teledoc/telepharm last year and now that I'm an authority on the subject I think it's a really good idea to get vital healthcare to people who usually can't get it, and allows great time savings and convenience. This assumes insurance companies don't use it as a way to cut as many corners as possible and not overload the system with too many patients per doctor, and not insert badly trained doctors to begin with. Hahaha its gonna be poo poo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tastykake posted:

The durable goods peoples grandparents bought cost a month or twos wages, people get upset at spending more than $300 on an appliance now.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Commodities are cheaper because they contain less labor time, and they're made by the fuckload to compensate for it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

cakesmith handyman posted:

The durable goods peoples grandparents bought cost a month or twos wages, people get upset at spending more than $300 on an appliance now.

yeah, exactly. i wouldn't want to spend $2000 on an appliance either if it broke down as soon as the 1 year warranty expired.

what i'm saying is, all consumer products should have a required 20 year warranty and let the free market sort them out :v:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tastykake posted:

also we have to move every year because wages dont keep up with rent increases so its a hassle to have big heavy furniture

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Truga posted:

yeah, exactly. i wouldn't want to spend $2000 on an appliance either if it broke down as soon as the 1 year warranty expired.

what i'm saying is, all consumer products should have a required 20 year warranty and let the free market sort them out :v:

*muffled gunting under my lovely always breaking down truck* Oh yes please!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah you basically got to be able to make poo poo if you really want something like that. Chisel? ok. washing machine? uh...

You can absolutely buy washing machines that are built to last and to be serviced. They are marketed to farms and other professional uses, where the machines have to run basically all day every day for years, while being tolerant of uneven loads and really dirty laundry, and sometimes various noxious chemicals that you wouldn't/shouldn't run through a consumer machine. Obviously this also means the machines are significantly more expensive and less efficient than consumer-marketed machines. They also tend to be rather bulky for their maximum load size, due to the heavier duty construction.

There are companies who specialize in refurbing and reselling these machines, but they don't advertise like the big appliance chains do.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
how are you gonna post all that good info, and then not a link to buy an actual washing machine instead of Actual poo poo

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I grew up on a farm and the washing machine everyone uses came out of a WWII aircraft carrier and is still working with no maintenance to this day. Apparently it was bought back in the 50's for like $3 because the government was surplussing it out for scrap value after taking apart the ship it was in. It's a massive loving contraption of steel and various dangerous looking whirly bits, though, so probably not the kind of thing you can fit in your apartment.

So I guess the moral of the story is, as always, if you want good things in life just be a Boomer who got to enjoy the fruits of the 50's-70's and if you're not then get hosed.

Crazycryodude has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Jan 6, 2019

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

how are you gonna post all that good info, and then not a link to buy an actual washing machine instead of Actual poo poo

I'm not sure you'd want to import one from Denmark, what with the shipping and 400V power and all.

I don't have any specific US recommendations, but I would be highly surprised if it's a Denmark-only thing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Somewhere in all this there's a sexist joke about washing machines not lasting as long and divorce rates going up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember there being some sort of weird thing in mens-versus-women fashion where men's clothing is more durable than women's because men are cheaper and value durability more than women and their fashion choices don't change as often or something.

Anyway, men's fashion designers are slowly getting crappier in terms of durability and longevity, so whatever.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Speed Queen is the brand you want if you want a reliable washer with repairable parts and not WiFi computer bullshit.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

I grew up on a farm and the washing machine everyone uses came out of a WWII aircraft carrier and is still working with no maintenance to this day. Apparently it was bought back in the 50's for like $3 because the government was surplussing it out for scrap value after taking apart the ship it was in. It's a massive loving contraption of steel and various dangerous looking whirly bits, though, so probably not the kind of thing you can fit in your apartment.

So I guess the moral of the story is, as always, if you want good things in life just be a Boomer who got to enjoy the fruits of the 50's-70's and if you're not then get hosed.

I would very much like to see a picture of this washing machine

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

crazydryodude post the washing pmachine

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

T-man posted:

I really wish I didn't agree with you on this point.

But of course I do because it's true.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Mushika posted:

yeah I don’t think we’re gonna do a revolution but I don’t think we’ll be dead fast in 20 years probably either, the corps will do just enough to keep their underclass of workers alive as things slowly get worse. like a lamer cyberpunk or that first ep of black mirror or somethign

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mushika posted:

I mean, that post makes me sound a lot more nihilistic than I actually am. Capitalism, without action, will not fail until there's nobody left. Capitalism, with direct, revolutionary action, however, may very well fall while there's still enough people to care.

The revolution isn't inevitable, but more people are getting (intersectional) class consciousness.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
feudalism still exists, it just doesnt matter

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
we’re going to get a super lame dystopia I bet, all the bad living conditions of cyberpunk without any of the cool atmosphere and adventure

I guess we already have good music though

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Just want to point out that with youtube, ebay, and a few tools I've been keeping my ancient car (and appliances) running.

It sucks that stuff is built so shittily (designed to fail in many instances), but you can usually buy a metal replacement for the little plastic stuff that inevitably breaks.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pirate Radar posted:

we’re going to get a super lame dystopia I bet, all the bad living conditions of cyberpunk without any of the cool atmosphere and adventure

I guess we already have good music though

I've been reading William Gibsons' Bridge Trilogy and that's probably the closest future we'll get (without organized opposition to capitalism)

All the poor scrape out an existance in the abandoned fringes of the world while the rich live in armor plated, reinforced towers. There is no middle class ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Greatbacon posted:

I've been reading William Gibsons' Bridge Trilogy and that's probably the closest future we'll get (without organized opposition to capitalism)

All the poor scrape out an existance in the abandoned fringes of the world while the rich live in armor plated, reinforced towers. There is no middle class ground.

Pretty much. There are a ton of articles on building a real elysium in orbit.