Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

TVsVeryOwn posted:

lol, I forgot about that bit(coin)

i missed this one, did hans goober blow up nakamoto plaza?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sedge and Bee posted:

a cacomistle is a procyonid, the same family as raccoons, native to central america, but not brazil

ok but that coffee table definitely smells like it's from brazil

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
did the bitcoiner's plan of pulling all their coins out of exchanges ever happen?

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Boxturret posted:

did the bitcoiner's plan of pulling all their coins out of exchanges ever happen?

pretty sure it did. but participation was low because most people with bitcoins don't actually read the bitcoin subreddit and most of the ones who do don't give a poo poo. plus there was the completely foreseeable reaction from several of the less scrupulous exchanges of completely shutting off withdrawals for that day because of "maintenance"

for some reason a lot of bitcoiners were expecting this whole thing to jack up the price because... reasons? i honestly have no idea with these people

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
satoshi (craig s. :wrong:) is now posting twitter rants about andreas being a false prophet who doesn't know poo poo about poo poo. i'd post links to the tweets but his account is protected

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Soricidus posted:

someone with a twitter account pls send ross’s mom the rhymes I wrote specially for her. I’d do it myself but they banned my account for the unforgivable crime of not wanting to give them my phone number

i would but she blocked me for daring to suggest that her darling boy might not be as innocent as she thinks

however there are a couple of accounts that i highly suspect are goons (they post not long after i link her tweets here) who for some reason she hasn't blocked yet. perhaps they could post them?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mcafee blocked me on the bird site

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

ok but that coffee table definitely smells like it's from brazil

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

mcafee blocked me on the bird site

change your av to a whale

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

change your av to a whale

they said blocked

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

pretty sure it did. but participation was low because most people with bitcoins don't actually read the bitcoin subreddit and most of the ones who do don't give a poo poo. plus there was the completely foreseeable reaction from several of the less scrupulous exchanges of completely shutting off withdrawals for that day because of "maintenance"

for some reason a lot of bitcoiners were expecting this whole thing to jack up the price because... reasons? i honestly have no idea with these people

lol one day maybe they will accomplish something

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

fisting by many posted:

probably should have done without that "i'm too white to go to jail" letter too

I'm guessing it would probably have worked on the right judge

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Sedge and Bee posted:

im sorry i guess im the only person here who knows new world mammals

a cacomistle is a procyonid, the same family as raccoons, native to central america, but not brazil

these are the things you need to know to get ahead in the crypto antiques business. next thing you know you'll tell me you don't know how to distinguish between a civet cock coffee table and a binturong bellend coffee table.

I guess I missed that episode of Lovejoy

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Hammerite posted:

I guess I missed that episode of Lovejoy

are you british or just really old, because mentioning lovejoy makes me wonder

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Sedge and Bee posted:

are you british or just really old, because mentioning lovejoy makes me wonder

British. I would have substituted an American equivalent to Lovejoy but I don't know one.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

hatesadness

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Hammerite posted:

British. I would have substituted an American equivalent to Lovejoy but I don't know one.

in america, we watch insufferable assholes grift hoarders out of their valuable poo poo. that is the equivalent

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/alexkoppelman/status/1081586148575797250

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Yes, it is for babies.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sedge and Bee posted:

in america, we watch insufferable assholes grift hoarders out of their valuable poo poo. that is the equivalent

like i said, hatesadness

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

KnifeWrench posted:

so much to unpack here

- this plan hinges on number go down, which is not something butters usually predict
- controlling government is not a thing that happens as a result of this plan, but as a prerequisite (making them seize an asset at a specific time)
- not to mention timing the peak
- but you're timing the peak without selling, instead relying on the government to seize your assets for your debt as a roundabout way of selling (???)
- part of the plan is to spend money taking the government to court with the expectation you will lose
- and it's supposed to be repeatable??????

:wtc:
Also the butter stupidly imagines that the irs would offset his tax with the FMV of the butts at time of seizure rather than with the money it receives at sale (26 usc 6342)

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
when the evil men with guns come for my wealth, i'll say "ah ha! you cannot steal my bits! for they are backed by math, not guns!"

"hey wait, where are you taking me? forced labor camp? PHYSICAL labor? but i make websites for a living! nooooo"

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hammerite posted:

people just watch lovejoy on pbs

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

AlbieQuirky posted:

people just watch lovejoy on pbs

That was the "really old" part of my question

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/jimmysong/status/1081687186683187200

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

okay cool, when does the stability and security start? because in all the years i've been watching it bitcoin has been massively unstable and the regular victim of million dollar hacks

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Bulldozer0/status/1081964176774451200

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i too worship a spreadsheet very slowly shared over the internet

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

so robust that about $10k in transactions killed it dead

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Sharding the Bitcoin blockchain across IoT devices in your house (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 8 hours ago by pjohnsilverredditor for 2 days

I recently experimented with running Bitcoin Core on Android, and I have always been interested in hosting bitcoin on low end hardware as I believe having that possibility is one of the things that makes bitcoin truly resilient.

Running it on Android with ABCore works fine in theory, although there are some issues with the app wrapper, but the storage aspect is a problem that I think most would face if they wanted to run their own node on their phone. Pruning allows you to do this, but still I wouldn't sleep as safe at night knowing that I couldn't bootstrap on my own.

From that I started to imagine a way of keeping the whole blockchain, but scattered across small devices that are around in my house. I know ethereum devs are working on sharding, and although I haven't gotten that deep into it I was thinking that if you had IoT devices in your house, a media server maybe, a fridge with a bit of space on it, your phone, etc, you could scatter parts of the blockchain across them, keep a hash or something as a reference, and then be able to fully validate from scratch without having to trust anyone, without having to have the space taken up on just one device.

Anyone ever heard of any project like that?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Boxturret posted:

okay cool, when does the stability and security start? because in all the years i've been watching it bitcoin has been massively unstable and the regular victim of million dollar hacks

Bitcoin is very secure. I’m pretty sure there has been less than 10 hacked exchanges so far in 2019.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

...! posted:

Sharding the Bitcoin blockchain across IoT devices in your house (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 8 hours ago by pjohnsilverredditor for 2 days

I recently experimented with running Bitcoin Core on Android, and I have always been interested in hosting bitcoin on low end hardware as I believe having that possibility is one of the things that makes bitcoin truly resilient.

Running it on Android with ABCore works fine in theory, although there are some issues with the app wrapper, but the storage aspect is a problem that I think most would face if they wanted to run their own node on their phone. Pruning allows you to do this, but still I wouldn't sleep as safe at night knowing that I couldn't bootstrap on my own.

From that I started to imagine a way of keeping the whole blockchain, but scattered across small devices that are around in my house. I know ethereum devs are working on sharding, and although I haven't gotten that deep into it I was thinking that if you had IoT devices in your house, a media server maybe, a fridge with a bit of space on it, your phone, etc, you could scatter parts of the blockchain across them, keep a hash or something as a reference, and then be able to fully validate from scratch without having to trust anyone, without having to have the space taken up on just one device.

Anyone ever heard of any project like that?

*sharting

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Suspicious posted:

i too worship a spreadsheet very slowly shared over the internet

i don't think they've ever actually seen bitcoin. i think this is some sort of waiting for godot situation

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Where's that internet of things hindu peace sign, that seems appropriate now

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

EorayMel posted:

what sort of sick mind would create something like that

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Boxturret posted:

what sort of sick mind would create something like that

*points to boxturret while asking boxturret:s urmom the same question*

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

=intercept(bitcoin,garbage)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Y
                    O
                U              I
                    A      B      R
        R              *              D
            O      G      R
                N              E
                            A
                        W

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

EorayMel posted:

Right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.