Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Alttp basically has you on rails for a good portion of it.

Every Zelda game has you on rails until you collect the requisite 10 to 15 items needed to advance.

I am curious as to the number of combat encounters you are actually forced into in that game. Whenever I didn't want to fight (or didn't have the equipment) I just skipped the encounter!

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

a new study bible! posted:

Every Zelda game has you on rails until you collect the requisite 10 to 15 items needed to advance.

Probably why people like Botw so much when it let you just do what you want.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Zelda's always been pretty rigid with the open world more a matter of whether you want to go collect more heart pieces, Rupees and ammunition capacity in between dungeons. It's a pretty consistent formula til BotW, to the point where there's a number of recognisable clones and variants. (mostly Okami comes to mind)

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

A Smoke Break posted:

Weapon degradation forces ingenuity. I found mysellf without a paddle in a lot of situations and were forced to think outside of the box to kill enemies.

Weapon degradation kicks rear end. Always makes me move a little quicker in System Shock 2.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

What you don't seem to be grasping is that the game has some really big flaws. They are not small nitpicks. And beyond that, the things that are so great often are a detriment to others. I've talked to many people who got bored while on the plateau. It has what amounts to a 3 hour tutorial. That's really long and it turns people off. But weapon durability being a joke is not a good thing. You may not have minded but most people did. It didn't make the game more fun, it got in the way of the game being more fun. On top of that there are very few monster types out and about so combat gets repetitive and annoying very fast.

It's a 7/10. Could have been much better with just a couple adjustments.

I can understand why some people don't like weapon degradation, in fact it was a pretty hard sell for me, and I hated it for 5 or 6 hours. But I think it's hard to finish the game, reflect on it, and not appreciate why they did it and why the game was better for it.

I agree the plateau was not the best introduction to the game and is sort of restrictive and boring. I also think the game needed more substantial dungeons, which they could have had like 20 of with the amount of effort they put into 120 shrines. I still liked the shrines a lot though.

It's not a perfect game but it's still easily one of the best games I have ever played in my life. There isn't really another game out there that has such a satisfying sense of exploration and discovery, and the gameplay facilitates true player choice that a lot of companies advertise but don't deliver on at all. It also has killer art direction, and attention to detail that has only maybe been matched by RDR2, which is way more surface level than BOTW.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I'm gonna be the a hole that says that botw ain't that special if you've played a handful of open world games/open world togs in the last ten years. Bad game? Nah but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people make it out to be some magical and fantastical experience

Edit. Meant to say open world rpg

ChazTurbo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 6, 2019

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm trying to remember the last open world game before BOTW that wasn't just a map dotted with 300 icons and I can't.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I liked the departure from the other Zelda games so much that I stopped my first playthrough of BotW shortly after beating my first divine beast to restart in master mode. The resource management forcing you to use the emergent systems to beat encounters efficiently feels great and it gives each encounter a stronger sense of satisfaction over just beating the poo poo out of everything I see. I also see people not liking that about it, but calling it a lovely game is ridiculous. If your weapons break so quickly in normal mode all I can assume is that you aren't using much of the tools the game offers you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

signalnoise posted:

If your weapons break so quickly in normal mode all I can assume is that you aren't using much of the tools the game offers you.

I've noticed that many people that rail on weapon degradation seem to have only played it for a few hours so they were probably still whacking things with sticks and rusty swords when they quit.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I did all 4 divine beasts and finished the game. I love Zelda games but BotW, on reflection, is at the bottom of my list w/ Phantom Hourglass and Skyward Stupidity.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I did all 4 divine beasts and finished the game. I love Zelda games but BotW, on reflection, is at the bottom of my list w/ Phantom Hourglass and Skyward Stupidity.

Well at least you have the totally reasonable position of telling other people the game they like is actually terrible and that they like an objectively bad game because the things they like about it are things you astutely recognize as moronic, frustrating, and bad game design

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

signalnoise posted:

Well at least you have the totally reasonable position of telling other people the game they like is actually terrible and that they like an objectively bad game because the things they like about it are things you astutely recognize as moronic, frustrating, and bad game design

Are you confused about the thread you’re in? A bunch of you seem to be.

It’s ok to have different thoughts on such critical poo poo as “video games.” It’s not a direct assault on your person whenever someone impugns on the sanctity of game x.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Here's an unpopular opinion for the thread:
Phantom hourglass was pretty dope and a smartphone port would work really nice.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

veni veni veni posted:

I've noticed that many people that rail on weapon degradation seem to have only played it for a few hours so they were probably still whacking things with sticks and rusty swords when they quit.

I played through the whole game and hate the weapon degradation because the best, most fun weapons all break as easily as a rusty sword but are hard or impossible to get again. Had they added the ability to repair equipment so you could keep your favorites, no one would have one complaint.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't see how a lead pipe should break after a few dozen hits in a zombie game.

I don't know if a weapon fatigue option with some things would work better or not. Weapons just becoming less useful/damaging unless you give them a cool-down period because your muscles and movements are becoming weak and sloppy from overdoing the same thing too often. Maintaining an optimum balance of use and rotation gradually leads into increased weapon power and usage time before requiring another cooldown.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*
That being said: Mario odyssey is the best game on the switch and it should have beaten out BotW in critic scores.

Sunshine is still the best in the series though.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

A Smoke Break posted:

That being said: Mario odyssey is the best game on the switch and it should have beaten out BotW in critic scores.

Sunshine is still the best in the series though.

I agree with everything in this post.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

I didn't finish Zelda (yet) only beat 2 of the bossmans but also didn't like the weapon degradation thing. Aside from that it was an awesome game just got distracted by Mario (which rules) and haven't gotten around to getting back to it yet. The last Zelda i played was Ocarina of time so i went into it without any kind of strong feelings either way so if you loved it cool if you hated it also cool who cares nerds it's just a dumb game.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I think whether or not you like BotW depends on the reaction you had to Zelda games as a kid. If you were the type to go "I should be able to solve this puzzle in this bizarre way I just thought up" and got constantly stonewalled, BotW will set your world on fire. If you just went "oh okay I can't do that, so let's try this" then you won't care that much or find it very interesting. That's the conclusion I've come to after talking to lots of my friends about it at least.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Mario Odyssey was good, but pretty much ever level after New Donk sucked.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

3D World is way better than Odyssey.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Zelda games suck, the only good one was Zelda 2

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Into The Breach is on Switch now, though. Best puzzle game ever made.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

Mario Odyssey was good, but pretty much ever level after New Donk sucked.

Yeah, once you start hitting stuff like the food land it just made me thing I was playing a new 3D Rayman game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Mario Odyssey is the best game ever made and if you disagree you're a bad person with terrible personal tastes, also I directly impugn whatever your favorite game is

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Literally the only substantial problem with BotW combat is that Lynels (especially the advanced ones) have too much HP. Any other complaints regarding weapon degradation or whatever stem solely from the need to git gud

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Jet Set Radio Future is significantly worse than Jet Set Radio

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

bradzilla posted:

3D World is way better than Odyssey.

This is true. 3D World is the best Mario.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I would really appreciate a 3D Mario Maker that is just making obstacle courses in the style of the no-fludd shines in Sunshine

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

jokes posted:

Into The Breach is on Switch now, though. Best puzzle game ever made.

It's only the best for about ten or twelve hours, then you realize it's all the same and that you're completely beholden to random 'upgrades' that are usually sidegrades at best and completely unusuable at worst.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The 100% map completion for Super Metroid at an GDQ last year was the lamest loving gimmick for a speed run I've ever heard of.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

inverted y-axis life. it's like tilting a camera irl

Do you also invert the x-axis then, you sick filth?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Star Man posted:

The 100% map completion for Super Metroid at an GDQ last year was the lamest loving gimmick for a speed run I've ever heard of.

Uhh, you know 100% speedruns are just as common as a "beat it as fast as possible" speedrun right

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Star Man posted:

GDQ is a hot mess of a charity stream now. They don't provide any compensation (that I've heard of) to any of the runners, so these people are on the hook for their travel and potentially almost a week of hotel rooms. So now there's a lot of bigger runners that don't participate in GDQ anymore. The twitch chat is usually filtered to subs only, so you can't comment without paying. Nevermind all the drama behind certain runners and certain emotes. I believe Twitch even shuts down hosted streams so you can't even chat on a different channel about the stream.

Oh and let's not forget about the time when someone made a snide comment about an airline and the GDQ twitter scrambled to apologize to a very confused social media manager that had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

Do you also invert the x-axis then, you sick filth?

depends. first person no, third person camera maybe. the higher the angle of the camera the more likely i am to invert x-axis

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

bradzilla posted:

Uhh, you know 100% speedruns are just as common as a "beat it as fast as possible" speedrun right

From the description I'm assuming it was an absurd bastard of a 100% run and a short one, with the goal being to fill out the map without caring about picking up the stuff in it or killing all the bosses or anything.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

bradzilla posted:

I am aware. At least you're getting stuff even if it is useless crap or increasing your weapons capacity beyond what you'll ever need for the speed run. The map completion run was just an any% with a dumb twist that made it longer.

At least the one they have lined up this time is interesting by doing bosses in reverse order instead of a drive-by shooting of the game's scenery for a few frames so Samus can mark that she was there on her Foursquare.

SpazmasterX posted:

GDQ is a hot mess of a charity stream now. They don't provide any compensation (that I've heard of) to any of the runners, so these people are on the hook for their travel and potentially almost a week of hotel rooms. So now there's a lot of bigger runners that don't participate in GDQ anymore. The twitch chat is usually filtered to subs only, so you can't comment without paying. Nevermind all the drama behind certain runners and certain emotes. I believe Twitch even shuts down hosted streams so you can't even chat on a different channel about the stream.

Oh and let's not forget about the time when someone made a snide comment about an airline and the GDQ twitter scrambled to apologize to a very confused social media manager that had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about.

I loving cringe at many of the donation messages. A lot of them are about the donor going through their own fight with cancer or their loved ones, but the messages that aren't are like an audition for Jeopardy!.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 6, 2019

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ah, I didn't know it was a 100% map run. That is indeed dumb as hell.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Star Man posted:

I loving cringe at many of the donation messages. A lot of them are about the donor going through their own fight with cancer or their loved ones, but the messages that aren't are like an audition for Jeopardy!.

Almost everything on stream that isn't gameplay is usually cringe as gently caress.

Guess what word will also get you banned from chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SpazmasterX posted:

Almost everything on stream that isn't gameplay is usually cringe as gently caress.

Guess what word will also get you banned from chat.

The donation messages specific to cancer are fine. I like a good pun or in-joke about a game from time to time, but god drat come up with something new instead of repeating the same loving joke we've heard for twenty loving years.