Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's a stretch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thank you for probating this user. I'm not sure I could handle reading "That's a stretch" again and the forum is a lot better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

You're entitled to your opinion but I am also entitled to tell you to gently caress off with your bullshit. You're just here to antagonize.

And obviously the mod probation's aren't working since you don't stop. At least with SMG he can offer something that people can understand. Not you, yo're just a piece of poo poo.

Dismissing a 4 year old black childs views on a movie is disgusting and you're even more disgusting for posting that.

gently caress OFF FOREVER

More posts like this, please. "That's a stretch" had me feeling really bad and down on life, but reading this post had me nodding along and chuckling. Affirming stuff.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Augus posted:

How many subforums/threads does that make that botl is banned from now?
It’s a pretty big pile

All of the bad ones.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Given Spider-Verse May's technical acumen, it's not unreasonable to think they were once friends at some lab. It's also not unreasonable to assume there may be a more personal history, given that things tend to be similar between dimensions and there is, indeed, a romantic link between the two in mainline Spider-Man.

The other thought is Peter knew Liv and thus so did May by extension. They could have been colleagues in college and/or lovers before Peter settled down with Mary Jane. Miles' universe Peter seems to be around the same age as Liv, or Liv slightly older.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Once upon a time BotL would have been banned for that bullshit attack on a kid enjoying a hero that looks like him. Those days were great just like this movie was.

Just to be absolutely clear, this is the exchange you're talking about :

Timeless Appeal posted:

My wife nudged me during the movie, and I looked over to find next to us a four year old boy, who was black, in Brooklyn, leaned over the empty seat next to us, mouth agape at the film's finale. It was a pretty ideal way to watch the movie.

The movie is about a kid losing his individuality as his story is hijacked by others, and he turns into a consumer and then a product.

Strongly agreed. Absolutely banworthy, shocking stuff

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Young Freud posted:

The other thought is Peter knew Liv and thus so did May by extension. They could have been colleagues in college and/or lovers before Peter settled down with Mary Jane. Miles' universe Peter seems to be around the same age as Liv, or Liv slightly older.

I'm fairly sure she's meant to be middle aged dude. Way older than Peter. Hobo Peter treats her like she's older than he is (Peter is a goon but I kinda doubt he's a big enough one to think "Oh you look 35" is a good thing to say to anyone remotely near 35 or under it) and he's well into his 30s.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Saw someone remark that Mile's letter to his uncle just before the Prowler reveal sounded eerily like a suicide note and goddamn it does.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm fairly sure she's meant to be middle aged dude. Way older than Peter. Hobo Peter treats her like she's older than he is (Peter is a goon but I kinda doubt he's a big enough one to think "Oh you look 35" is a good thing to say to anyone remotely near 35 or under it) and he's well into his 30s.

Yeah, Peter B Parker is probably about 38 (Spider-man for 22 years, main universe Peter died after 10 years as Spider-man at 26) and he clearly treats her as older than him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think she's intended as mid-40s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a bit tricky given Otto Octavius is usually a schlubby middle-aged guy who tends to be short but heavyset, while Liv is in much better shape and more hyperactive and wiry. There's a good chance Liv was Peter's teacher at some point. (it's mentioned that he was a grad student. Which of course Peter Parker is)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Fart City posted:

ASM SINISTER SIX MOVIE BACK ON BAY-BAY

I vainly hope for an animated adaptation of “the Superior Foes of Spider-Man” now, thanks.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
I saw this movie twice and it was really good both times. The Stan Lee bit and Peter's funeral got some tears going. A movie hasn't done that for me since Toy Story 3. I also learned a little more about the greater Spider-Man mythos and it's all pretty cool. Miles and Gwen are fun characters, and the comic-relief spider-fellows were great too. I'm glad it's getting a sequel and I hope more movies like this happen.

It's a good time to be a Spider-Man fan.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Turns out the song is called "Want it Here" by Xenia Pax, but the full version isn't available for the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJKxwQ9b-g4

Thank you!! I asked about it a couple weeks ago but no one knew then.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Timeless Appeal posted:

My wife nudged me during the movie, and I looked over to find next to us a four year old boy, who was black, in Brooklyn, leaned over the empty seat next to us, mouth agape at the film's finale. It was a pretty ideal way to watch the movie.

I'm the four year old black boy in that post. My mouth was agape, but not about the film's finale, but about the smelly 30 years old fat adults who were there watching a children's cartoon but didn't have any children with them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A Sometimes Food posted:

To be fair, I think Peter only says that to tell Miles the end of the password.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a bit tricky given Otto Octavius is usually a schlubby middle-aged guy who tends to be short but heavyset, while Liv is in much better shape and more hyperactive and wiry. There's a good chance Liv was Peter's teacher at some point. (it's mentioned that he was a grad student. Which of course Peter Parker is)
I think Otto's been Peter's teacher/mentor in both the Raimi films and the PS4 game, so that seems a reasonable assumption.

And speaking of songs, I kind of wish the song that plays for Spider-Gwen's flashback was available on the soundtrack.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yvonmukluk posted:

And speaking of songs, I kind of wish the song that plays for Spider-Gwen's flashback was available on the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6RBTPMFATk

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Yeah there was a lot more music used in the movie. I wish a list was compiled in the order is appeared or something. That Black Sheep remix was bad rear end. The Soundtrack itself was super good. I come from an older Rap/Hip Hop listening audience I'm not as in tune with today's stuff but it looks like the artists chosen for some of these songs may be newer just like the animated team I read earlier in this thread. There are some more well known for sure but there were a lot of names I didn't recognize and had to wiki. (Old man problems)

We've been listening to the soundtrack at home since we saw it. (and in my truck.... and at my workplace)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hogge Wild posted:

I'm the four year old black boy in that post. My mouth was agape, but not about the film's finale, but about the smelly 30 years old fat adults who were there watching a children's cartoon but didn't have any children with them.

I don't know if the site has an official age restriction or not but regardless I think Hogge Wild should get a 100,000 hour probation to spare him from wasting his childhood on this site and further damaging a developing mind that already struggles with something as basic as paying attention to a movie in a theater.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Guy Mann posted:

I don't know if the site has an official age restriction or not but regardless I think Hogge Wild should get a 100,000 hour probation to spare him from wasting his childhood on this site and further damaging a developing mind that already struggles with something as basic as paying attention to a movie in a theater.

It would have to be 122,640 hours.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Amethyst posted:

Just to be absolutely clear, this is the exchange you're talking about :

Strongly agreed. Absolutely banworthy, shocking stuff

Just to be clear, the forums used to ban people for empty posting, and linking to offsite image hosting. All I'm saying is his response was super lovely and denigrating to the kid in the effort to make some "smart sounding" point about consumerism. The movie was enjoyable, we should celebrate the kids that enjoyed it, that saw the magic that we all should want to see in a good super hero film. Especially one with a POC who might be easier/exciting for them to engage with.

You were here when the forums were ban happy, I'm just saying that kind of schtick got your rear end banned back in the day because it makes the forums worse. I can't believe anyone is trying to defend that poo poo posting.

FWIW i avoided the Black Panther thread so I can't bring that baggage with me.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 7, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Comfortador posted:

Yeah there was a lot more music used in the movie. I wish a list was compiled in the order is appeared or something. That Black Sheep remix was bad rear end. The Soundtrack itself was super good. I come from an older Rap/Hip Hop listening audience I'm not as in tune with today's stuff but it looks like the artists chosen for some of these songs may be newer just like the animated team I read earlier in this thread. There are some more well known for sure but there were a lot of names I didn't recognize and had to wiki. (Old man problems)

We've been listening to the soundtrack at home since we saw it. (and in my truck.... and at my workplace)

I agree, the soundtrack is off the loving hook. "What's Up Danger?" is such a good loving song holy poo poo.

The saddest part is that Vince Staples' "Home" is like the third credits song, it's phenomenal.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The reason why the four-year-old black kid anecdote is getting singled out by myself and other people in the thread is because the presence of representation often overshadows how these people are represented. We’re all still a bit sore from discussions of the best example of this, Black Panther - Marvel fans and other neoliberals would often praise the film for its representation while ignoring or shutting out complaints from others that it’s extremely poor representation. Yes, the movie’s cast is 98% black people, but it’s also a movie about a monarchy that chooses its leaders through ritual combat crushing a globalist rebellion with the help of the American CIA - and in terms of the real-world consequences, Marvel themselves formed a partnership through the CIA themselves could advertise themselves on their Twitter (“we’re developing the future tech of Wakanda, today!”), etc.

Whether or not BotL’s arguments about Miles and his family being good representation in Spider-Verse are hostile or not, they’re certainly more conductive to discussion than an unverifiable story about one random child at a movie screening. The claim that people groaning at yet another singular anecdote used to heap praise on the movie are here to antagonize four-year-olds and/or black people is nothing short of ridiculous. Yes, everyone is aware that representation is good, we’re past that - it’s time to start talking about what that representation means and what kind of messages it carries for the people being represented. Again, I’m not defending BotL like some people are jumping to the conclusion of, but the thread has stopped at “having black people in movies is good” and refuses to have any discussion about how those black people are presented to the audience.

It’s good that the movie presents Miles and his multi-ethnic family sympathetically and as a normal part of American culture, and it’s good that these stories are being told in movies as mass-market as this one, but that doesn’t mean it’s worth shutting down all discussion of how accurate the representation is, or replacing it with something about some random kid.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

I agree, the soundtrack is off the loving hook. "What's Up Danger?" is such a good loving song holy poo poo.

The saddest part is that Vince Staples' "Home" is like the third credits song, it's phenomenal.

My favorite thing about What's Up Danger? is that it has Prowler's siren/roar mixed in with it including right at the opening of the track.

The original score is really good too, the motif of using distortion and record-scratching not just to mix the music but as their own elements (like the earlier Twitter posts from the composer showing that a lot of the dimensional instability sound effects were just them scratching the record so hard that it turns into noise) makes the clash of the more traditional epic orchestral superhero music and the more modern hip-hop and electronic stuff harmonized really well. Which makes sense since, well, it's a movie about different worlds clashing. The different Spider-Man themes are great because the classic Peter Parker one sounds very much like a take on Danny Elfman's more traditional 2002 movie theme and then at the very end of the movie when Miles finally gets his own version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azmkm4lOZK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTgyINRHZOE

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sEpm0vK2Po

I've played Familia pretty much every day after seeing the movie. I don't really care about Nicki Minaj's part, but the hook is really loving catchy.

Plus, it's the second song in the movie! :D

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Pirate Jet posted:

The reason why the four-year-old black kid anecdote is getting singled out by myself and other people in the thread is because the presence of representation often overshadows how these people are represented. We’re all still a bit sore from discussions of the best example of this, Black Panther - Marvel fans and other neoliberals would often praise the film for its representation while ignoring or shutting out complaints from others that it’s extremely poor representation. Yes, the movie’s cast is 98% black people, but it’s also a movie about a monarchy that chooses its leaders through ritual combat crushing a globalist rebellion with the help of the American CIA - and in terms of the real-world consequences, Marvel themselves formed a partnership through the CIA themselves could advertise themselves on their Twitter (“we’re developing the future tech of Wakanda, today!”), etc.

Whether or not BotL’s arguments about Miles and his family being good representation in Spider-Verse are hostile or not, they’re certainly more conductive to discussion than an unverifiable story about one random child at a movie screening. The claim that people groaning at yet another singular anecdote used to heap praise on the movie are here to antagonize four-year-olds and/or black people is nothing short of ridiculous. Yes, everyone is aware that representation is good, we’re past that - it’s time to start talking about what that representation means and what kind of messages it carries for the people being represented. Again, I’m not defending BotL like some people are jumping to the conclusion of, but the thread has stopped at “having black people in movies is good” and refuses to have any discussion about how those black people are presented to the audience.

It’s good that the movie presents Miles and his multi-ethnic family sympathetically and as a normal part of American culture, and it’s good that these stories are being told in movies as mass-market as this one, but that doesn’t mean it’s worth shutting down all discussion of how accurate the representation is, or replacing it with something about some random kid.

I completely agree with you, but goddamn is this an abuse of the term "neoliberal."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Man, there's a loooooot of b.s. to unpack in that post, PJ.

Like how hostile it feels for PoC to watch a bunch of people apply laser focus on the narrative dissonance in BP, or how kramering into a conversation with "hah, it's all a mass media marketing ploy :smug:" is an elementary observation in a Marvel property.

But what really takes the cake is the "We're just asking the Hard Questions" defense when folks are put off by someone dismissing a possible minority POV.

There's other things to discuss about the film -- how it's a Wounded King take with Peter B., Gwen being butt-kickass Empowered Woman, Liv being a perversion of the applications of science or Kingpin being a dark mirror to the Spiderclan's familial Loss narrative -- which can be done without coming across as a huge dismissive dick.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

it’s time to start talking about what that representation means and what kind of messages it carries for the people being represented.

you’re free to start anytime you want

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Representation is fine but it's not that cool.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This was dumb. Let me re-evaluate.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 8, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

Do you wanna talk about it or just sit self-congratulating yourself in your computer chair over your epic burn?

I’m more than willing to hear what’s wrong with my views on representation and have outright asked what’s wrong with them. I know it’s not everyone’s job to educate the unknowing all the time but the least you could do is not be a smug worthless rear end in a top hat to someone who is literally asking what’s wrong with their arguments.

but you have barely actually said anything constructive about representation you’ve just been talking about how everyone else is doing it wrong.
what is there for me to say in disagreement besides “people posting simple and uplifting anecdotes is fine”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Man, there's a loooooot of b.s. to unpack in that post, PJ.

Like how hostile it feels for PoC to watch a bunch of people apply laser focus on the narrative dissonance in BP, or how kramering into a conversation with "hah, it's all a mass media marketing ploy :smug:" is an elementary observation in a Marvel property.

But what really takes the cake is the "We're just asking the Hard Questions" defense when folks are put off by someone dismissing a possible minority POV.

There's other things to discuss about the film -- how it's a Wounded King take with Peter B., Gwen being butt-kickass Empowered Woman, Liv being a perversion of the applications of science or Kingpin being a dark mirror to the Spiderclan's familial Loss narrative -- which can be done without coming across as a huge dismissive dick.

I can understand how it can be disheartening to see that kind of thing criticized, but how is it any different than criticizing a movie like The Help or Green Book? Those movies are certainly “representative” but the representation is absurdly poor. It’s not “laser focusing” to simply summarize the main story points of the movie. Wakanda is indeed a monarchy, you have to win a fight if someone challenges you for kingship, etcetera. These things inform a reading, there’s no use in denying that they’re true.

I’m not defending BotL, as I already said - if anything I’m defending ungulateman, who correctly pointed out that while there is, in fact, nothing wrong with a small fun anecdote, it’s being used in some kind of bizarre defense where people go overboard in the other direction of BotL’s word salad and are now saying the movie is good because of a small fun anecdote. BotL was not “asking the hard questions” and I never claimed that they were, but I am uncomfortable with the idea that representation shouldn’t be criticized just because it’s there.

I apologize for getting so heated earlier in the thread and if there’s more to hear on the subject, I would like to.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Augus posted:

but you have barely actually said anything constructive about representation you’ve just been talking about how everyone else is doing it wrong.
what is there for me to say in disagreement besides “people posting simple and uplifting anecdotes is fine”

He isn't free to start talking about representation because botl did that and it made people so angry he was banned for a month. Meanwhile posting angry invective using words like "shitstain" is totally fine and cool apparently.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

That’s all fine and well and good, but when 99% of these points are made by white dudes on the internet who in real life sure come off as “well actually” dudes who Probably voted for Bernie,. it comes off as gross. We can discuss the finer points in what? A dozen years or more of these kick rear end characters audiences have been begging for?

As for the guy who honestly asked me earlier why his comments came off as almost racist , it’s very simple. (I’m going to generalize the points so no spoilers) He pointed out that he thought miles journey (and sacrifice) comes off as less a whole story than Parker’s origin. The thing though, the systemic racism of that is that we’ve had Parker’s origin story for 50+ years. Having the origin for this spider man be different doesn’t make it any less valid, even if his battles or reasons why he puts on the mask are (slightly) different. There is still a tragedy involved. It still builds toward him feeling utterly alone. The implication that it has to be the same, or otherwise it doesn’t have the same weight is where the problem lies.
Furthermore, the movie smartly knows this. There’s a reason they bring up
The famous line of “with great power”, and by the end turn it into a joke. The essence Of spider man isn’t just that, it’s also “a leap of faith” which is where the message more lies with this story.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

LionArcher posted:

That’s all fine and well and good, but when 99% of these points are made by white dudes on the internet who in real life sure come off as “well actually” dudes who Probably voted for Bernie,. it comes off as gross.
This is pure conjecture. Apparently this counts as constructive though, and not talking about the text.

quote:

We can discuss the finer points in what? A dozen years or more of these kick rear end characters audiences have been begging for?
Ah yes, the finer points, how kickass the characters are.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The Notorious ZSB posted:

All I'm saying is his response was super lovely and denigrating to the kid in the effort to make some "smart sounding" point about consumerism.

Was it? Was is really? Here's the post again:

The movie is about a kid losing his individuality as his story is hijacked by others, and he turns into a consumer and then a product.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I've posted a thread to qcs about why I disagree with the ban so I can stop this derail: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879112

Enjoy your spiderman chat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Amethyst posted:

Was it? Was is really? Here's the post again:
Lol. That's not even the post at issue and you know it. That's exactly the behavior that raises hackles in these threads.

And what you quoted is not even that novel of a critique -- Miles explicitly uses Poplar Artist: Category Hip Hop music to relax in a callback to a previous joke. He's already a consumer.

Plus, again, the fact that a bunch of you strip any agency away from Miles and his journey is loving gross as hell

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Lol. That's not even the post at issue and you know it. That's exactly the behavior that raises hackles in these threads.

That's the only post I could find of his that responded to the kid. Feel free to find whatever super-offensive thing he said and show me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if only we all could be so lucky to have a fanclub that seek out threads to drop into and stan for our terrible posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Amethyst posted:

I've posted a thread to qcs about why I disagree with the ban so I can stop this derail: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879112

Enjoy your spiderman chat.

Goddamn shut the hell up.