Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Sagebrush posted:

I like it. I also think the original Insight is cool and pretty, though.

Also it's a VW diesel from 2013 :whitewater:

Thats a 2014 xl1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm the 12v battery thrown in the trunk as an afterthought.

Would, though. That thing owns.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Thats a 2014 xl1

:ok:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Previa_fun posted:

I'm the 12v battery thrown in the trunk as an afterthought.

Would, though. That thing owns.

They said the recharigingsystem worked poorly so we carry a spare battery in case it took a long interstate drive

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Thats ugly as gently caress.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
How is it on US plates though? Wikipedia says its European market only, and I would therefore guess its not been homologated for street use in the US. Its not on the show and display list either.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wesleywillis posted:

Thats ugly as gently caress.

I love it, but I loving loved the Aptera too.

And the impractical but gently caress it Loremo

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Humbug posted:

How is it on US plates though? Wikipedia says its European market only, and I would therefore guess its not been homologated for street use in the US. Its not on the show and display list either.

Looks like a dealer plate, which as far as I know can be slapped on anything

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The plates are TN, which makes me think it lives at the VW factory in Chattanooga?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah when I saw the VW, I thought it was the LoReMo at first. LoReMo made a splash in the early 2000s when the fuel prices where as high as they are today, but the economy was in stagnation and green energy was becoming mainstream. I'd argue that it's a relatively practical car even, if you're a commuter - driving on 1-2l fuel per 100km, parking spots everywhere. But the company drastically overestimated how much people were willing to step in what would have basically been a Y2k BMW Isetta. The company repeatedly tried to bring their car to the market under several investors IIRC, and folded in the early 2010s. I thought that was a tremendous shame. With customers getting ever bigger cars I think it's unlikely we'll see this kind of design make a comeback any time soon.

I want to believe that the people who made the LoReMo got bright futures ahead of them and were responsible for that VW car on the last page.

These days, a Hyundai Ioniq reliably gets 3.4l/100km without even resorting to Diesel. Maybe hybrid and electric compacts will gobble up the market segment that the LoReMo was targeting. Perhaps we'll be seeing an Aygo that drives on 2l or something like that.

Also that VW thing was sold as a low-volume series in the low hundreds. You can get them second hand online, they go for >= 100k.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 6, 2019

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It belongs to lane motor museum in Nashville. They have tons of weird cars and drive them regularly. They have brought a new s660 honda roadster in the past also.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Oh that makes sense too. I will have to see if they will let me drive it next time I’m there.

Previous wacky cars the Lane has let me drive: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/05/microcar-madness-at-the-lane-motor-museum/

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/05/group-b-rally-cars-are-awesome-and-we-just-drove-some/

It’s one of the very best car collections in the country and if you post in this forum you owe it to yourself to go visit at some point. You will certainly never see a finer collection of Tatras outside of the Czech Republic, and they’ve got enough Kei cars to make Radwood and Kakermix cry.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Also that VW thing was sold as a low-volume series in the low hundreds. You can get them second hand online, they go for >= 100k.

250 made, 200 available to the public, that's amazing I never thought it got beyond the concept car stage.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I owned a 2001 manual trans insight back when I was commuting from Orange County to North Hollywood every day. I’d snag 60mpg while rowing my own gears and ultimately sold it for 1.5x what I paid for it since gas was nearly $5/gal.

I got paid something like $0.55/mile for that commute by my company, and laughed all the way to the bank.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Guinness posted:

Adaptive headlights own. They sound like a gimmick but they really do make a big difference on dark winding roads where you can really see them working. The ones on my e46 work really well, and I’m glad they are becoming fairly common on new cars.

I can't wait for adaptive headlights to become common, especially the ones that adapt to other cars. They would have been so useful the last time I drove on a dark freeway. High beams were necessary and I can't really switch to lows for oncoming traffic, since their lights are no help for me. Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saukkis posted:

I can't wait for adaptive headlights to become common, especially the ones that adapt to other cars. They would have been so useful the last time I drove on a dark freeway. High beams were necessary and I can't really switch to lows for oncoming traffic, since their lights are no help for me. Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

You are the worst.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Saukkis posted:

Reported!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Saukkis posted:

Turn off your loving brights you rear end in a top hat.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Saukkis posted:

Instead of doing that you should just run your car off the side of the road and into a ditch.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

eyebeem posted:

Instead of doing that you should just run your car off the side of the road and into a ditch tree.

:colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Saukkis posted:

instead of blinding everyone else on the road, why don't you slow down and quit out-driving your lights, rear end in a top hat

i hope your car explodes

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Saukkis posted:

Mods?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Saukkis posted:

Congratulations on being a oval office! Not sure what made you think bragging about being a complete dickhead would be a great thing to do but here we are :shrug:

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
A lot of people turn them off too early though. Here in Norway, the police go out in the media every year telling people to not turn them off when oncoming traffic is miles away, and that they have and will give fines for switching too early to low beams. When the two light pictures overlap or about 200 yards is the rule drilled in at my driver ed, assuming no extra high beams.

Edit. This derail is decidedly not awesome. Lets have some stupid dumb fun. Summernats was on this weekend. Watch them try to set the word record for most burnouts at once with 140 cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aH7Z_aAugU

Humbug fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 6, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

xzzy posted:

You are the worst.

:emptyquote:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Takes a lot to outshine my posts!

Keep it up you crazy guy!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Don Lapre posted:

It belongs to lane motor museum in Nashville. They have tons of weird cars and drive them regularly. They have brought a new s660 honda roadster in the past also.

Which is basically the offspring of a S2000 and NSX, and everything I wished for when I drove it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

Which is basically the offspring of a S2000 and NSX, and everything I wished for when I drove it.

I never knew about them until I was driving around town one day and just parked out in front of someones house was a Evo VI Tommi Makinen just sitting like it was a nothing special.

Then at a restaurant by my house one day this was pulled up

Ive seen the turbo 2 driven around as well.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Saukkis posted:

You're the reason I loving hate driving these days. DIAF

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

what about videogames?

- bonus points if you can name the game.

That reminded me of Sega Super GT, aka SCUD Race. It was extremely fun to play at the arcade with the speakers built into the seat, the satisfying metal gear shift and in-car first person view. This song is cheesy, but I can't help loving it after spending so many hours palm slamming downshifts while power sliding a Gulf Mclaren F1 GTR around that airport at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO1c9NTdk6s

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Humbug posted:

A lot of people turn them off too early though. Here in Norway, the police go out in the media every year telling people to not turn them off when oncoming traffic is miles away, and that they have and will give fines for switching too early to low beams. When the two light pictures overlap or about 200 yards is the rule drilled in at my driver ed, assuming no extra high beams.

Edit. This derail is decidedly not awesome. Lets have some stupid dumb fun. Summernats was on this weekend. Watch them try to set the word record for most burnouts at once with 140 cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aH7Z_aAugU

Is it common in European countries to be legally required to use high beams?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is it common in European countries to be legally required to use high beams?

Its under the "failure to keep sufficient attention to surroundings" or "failure to adjust speed to conditions" catch all rules. I would expect to get pulled over if I had police behind me and didn't use high beams for no good reason at night yes. It seems to me that high beam use at night drops significantly further south in Europe. In Italy, hardly anyone uses them it feels like.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

eggyolk posted:

That reminded me of Sega Super GT, aka SCUD Race. It was extremely fun to play at the arcade with the speakers built into the seat, the satisfying metal gear shift and in-car first person view. This song is cheesy, but I can't help loving it after spending so many hours palm slamming downshifts while power sliding a Gulf Mclaren F1 GTR around that airport at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO1c9NTdk6s

I believe this is the only Sega racing game to never get an actual non-arcade release. :'(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I believe this is the only Sega racing game to never get an actual non-arcade release. :'(

You can play them all on PC. Initial d and Daytona also.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

You can play them all on PC. Initial d and Daytona also.

True, Scud Race never got an actual release though when it's one of the better racing games of the era.

Initial D is a poop game though, went to a huge arcade recently and they had the latest version. They also had Outrun 2 SP and my friends and I spent most of the evening twinning drifts round the courses having the most amount of fun it's possible to have on a driving game. Outrun 2 is a loving gem of a game.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Saukkis posted:

If this isn't grounds for a custom title showing how much of an rear end in a top hat this guy is, I don't know what is.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

MetaJew posted:

If this isn't grounds for a custom title showing how much of an rear end in a top hat this guy is, I don't know what is.

I guess you're not wrong?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NAME! THAT! CAR!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 8, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thundercougarfalconbird GT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Powershift posted:

NAME! THAT! CAR!

Looks like some kind of AMC. AMX?