Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Palace Cinema wasn't nearly as boring as I thought it would be. Now I might be motivated to finish the other 3 modulars I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The cinema is pretty great (I love the projector) although a bit sparse internally like most of the early modulars. The hard part for me was the sign, which I never want to have to make again!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Plastik posted:

Where'd you get a Wall-E? I missed it and I kind of want it so if they're available for a reasonable price I might be interested.

I got it through bol.com (basically Dutch amazon) from a reseller (Special Bricks) for 140 euros. I'm sure I overpaid but from googling around the next cheapest were nearing 200 euros. I had some money to splurge and I've always really, really wanted this little guy, also with some recent successes personally, professionally and financially I figured gently caress it, and bit the bullet.

I just finished building it and so far it's my favourite build, although the only other big build has ben the VW camper. Wall-E's body was as expected, the legs and arms were fun, but I really loved the eyes. It's the first time building a mirrored piece (second eye) that I actually looked at the first eye just to marvel a bit how cleverly it was shaped and how they filled up bits and stuff.

I'm afraid I did get the weak neck version. His head stays up fine when posed, but moving or tilting him a bit and it just drops. I'll see if I can get the fix from LEGO since it didn'tcome from their shop, if not, not big loss, since it's a display piece anyway.

Tomorrow I'll start on the ship in a bottle and the popup fairy tale book. It'll be a while until I make my next big purchase though. For the time being I'll stick to the 3in1 creator sets for the kids I work with.

E: speaking of the modulars, one of the kida I work with brought his Diner set to play with over the holidays. First time I saw one of the built up close and personal. drat neat builds, a shame it's too expensive for me since I know I won't be able to stick to just one.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 7, 2019

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I have a bunch of Orient Expedition, the Airjitzu Temple, Parisian Restaurant, 2 of the Star Wars republic gunships, and a whole bunch of those $25 spaceships (V-Wing, A-Wing, Vulture Droid etc) they were making set about in random places.

I also got the Ninjago City for Christmas, and I've been building that along with the City Docks the past couple of weeks...I have no clue where I'll put them though, but I know I'll have to find a space because poo poo these sets are absolutely gorgeous. I spent a few months gawking over the Airjitzu Temple before I bought it, and it's great but I felt like I wore out my appreciation for it by the time I got to finally put it together. For the city, I spent the past year and a half gawking at it and I'm still blown away. The effect of the water, how solid it feels and looks, how well the colors work together; it's not unique for its ridiculous amount of detail or its play features, but how it has all of that and then everything comes together so well visually, I think Lego's never made anything like it and I think it'll take a long time to follow up on too. If it didn't have stickers, I think it'd be basically the perfect set.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dogen posted:

Does it have instructions for combining ultra kitty and the escape buggy? I have the escape buggy and it kinda shows that in the back of the manual and on the box but there aren’t like instructions. Getting ultra kitty and the captain marvel set from shop@home soon.

Nope. Maybe @ https://www.lego.com/buildmoremovie2

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LEGO used to love putting "ideas" on their boxes and there were zero instructions anywhere. With no internet if you wanted to try it your dumb kid rear end was gonna figure it out on your own. :colbert:

Not that it was super hard as sets were so simple anyways.

https://goo.gl/images/SYZL3b

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Attach Ultrakitty onto the buggy. there you go.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Still had the falcon bug, so I used the microfighter to make my own micro scale version. I ripped off a couple of ideas from that really good one someone made a couple years back, like the wheels for the sides and the cockpit is sort of similar. The design is still mostly my own though. That micro fighter is pretty cool. It comes with a lot of good parts to get started on something a little more accurate looking.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/the-lego-movie-2/build-more-movie-2

veni veni veni posted:

Still had the falcon bug, so I used the microfighter to make my own micro scale version. I ripped off a couple of ideas from that really good one someone made a couple years back, like the wheels for the sides and the cockpit is sort of similar. The design is still mostly my own though. That micro fighter is pretty cool. It comes with a lot of good parts to get started on something a little more accurate looking.

Please tell me you have instructions for this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just finished making it from a pile of bricks so I don't, but it's a super easy build. I just picked up 75193, which will give you a lot of the most important parts, and made the shape of the falcon with plates from the set (I made it a bit bigger though) and built it up off of that, with more plates and brackets, then topped it off with some greebles and flats to smooth it out.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Had some lego stolen today, got them on video but I doubt the police care about $17 of lego, amazon is replacing them, but come on amazon, drop that poo poo off at the back door.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Start ordering boxes of spring loaded itching powder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm really surprised package theft isn't way more common given how many people order everything online.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xzzy posted:

I'm really surprised package theft isn't way more common given how many people order everything online.

You're not wrong, but part of it might be that way more houses have front facing security cams, and chances are what you steal is just gonna be a bag of dishwasher tabs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I had 4 Transformers ordered straight from Hasbro dropped off on my friend’s porch, and then stolen. Hasbro refunded me because they’re no longer in stock, but I’d rather have just waited for the toys. :sigh:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Package theft is worryingly common nowadays, and I'm honestly tempted to get a front-door cam.

In Work-In-Progress news, I've nearly finished a crab mecha:

Got a few pieces to order to finish this off I think, but got to wait til February now for Bricks and Pieces to re-open. There's a bunch of notes on the Flickr photos explaining what I'm planning to alter.

It is self supporting and posable!

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

You’d make a billion selling front porch drop/lock boxes right now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

It's incredibly common and growing.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Here in :sweden: they're not allowed to leave parcels outside your door without prior explicit agreement.

If it doesn't fit in the mailbox and you're not home to receive it, you have to pick it up at a drop off point. Grocery store, gas station, etc.

It's so weird to me that they just leave the stuff sitting in the open where random passersby can just nab it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know porch theft is increasing, but the size of online shopping is unimaginably big these days. I would think the theft problem would be much bigger than it already is.

If Amazon is basically ignoring the problem (I know they got the lockers and they tried to get people to install door locks that would allow deliverers to place stuff inside but to me those are token efforts) it must not be that big a deal yet.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

They have insurance, they don't have to care.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Groetgaffel posted:

Here in :sweden: they're not allowed to leave parcels outside your door without prior explicit agreement.

If it doesn't fit in the mailbox and you're not home to receive it, you have to pick it up at a drop off point. Grocery store, gas station, etc.

It's so weird to me that they just leave the stuff sitting in the open where random passersby can just nab it.

Yeah it seems a weird anachronism to me, like not to take blame away from the people stealing the packages but it seems very stupid to have a system in place where there's stuff lying about for people to rob mostly consequence free (as they see it).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

duz posted:

They have insurance, they don't have to care.

Yeah there will be a point when those premiums get too high due to claims and they’ll start caring I guess. I’ve been surprised both times it’s happened to me that I’ve started with “I have video...” and they’re like “eh that’s ok we will just refund you.”

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Package delivery has kind of morphed over the years. It’s gone from ‘a doorbell ring and wait for a person, then, if nothing, leave a slip’ to ‘sometimes ring doorbell, nearly always leave package on doorstep’.

Good excuse or no, I have to assume it relates to sheer volume of online order stuff these days. It’f quadruple each stop’s time to sit and wait 1-3 minutes after a doorbell ring.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is precisely that

Take it from someone who's been at ups for 15 years, that poo poo has gone completely off the rails ever since amazon blew up into what it is(and others followed suit), probably a fifth of our volume is amazon alone

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Start ordering boxes of spring loaded itching powder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Most frustrating thing about the glitter bomb thing was learning how useless those front door cams are for package theft prevention. Yeah you have footage but the cops aren’t going to do anything. When I lived in Oakland we had to use a UPS box because our mailman couldn’t deliver inside building but it’s becoming more of a necessity even in smaller towns. We have a main thoroughfare running through our small city and thief’s just follow the vans as they turn into neighborhoods and scoop up right behind em.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

This video was very nice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yeah, it’s from a combination of laziness of courier employees + lack of basic morality.

I was at my friend’s home the other day when Fedex delivered 2 big packages to the front door, and left them just on the porch without knocking or anything. It was only because I was there that I saw them getting dropped off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Front door camera still useful because if you are habitually a victim of theft eventually they'll stop delivering to you or accuse you of stealing it yourself. Video evidence could help with that.

I know UPS tracks this stuff and if you cross some threshold you'll have to visit their local facility to pick up and sign for packages.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All the major carriers (except USPS as far as I can tell) also have an option for you to create an account and specify delivery notes, like leave at back/side door, neighbors house... Etc.

This was useful when I had a ~$200 fermentor swiped from my front porch. FedEx acknowledged that it was delivered to the front door instead of what the notes for my address had on file and moved the claim along quickly.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

xzzy posted:

I know UPS tracks this stuff and if you cross some threshold you'll have to visit their local facility to pick up and sign for packages.

Why is this not the standard automatically preferred procedure when no-one’s in

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Why is this not the standard automatically preferred procedure when no-one’s in

Because picking up a package at a regional distribution center loving SUCKS. You only go there as a last resort or as punishment.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
usps policy is no knock leave at door

also if you have a gate on your house and its closed, not like a community gate or whatever, policy is leave it at the gate. None of this has anything to do with morality or laziness. It has a lot more to do with Amazon's contract with USPS.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 7, 2019

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I guess I’m being dumb and forgetting the sheer sprawl of USA suburbia, having personally never lived more than 10 minutes drive from a package facility

That being said, you’d think the particular layout of American cities combined with opportunistic thievery would have led to more package drop off facilities like the kind I’ve seen all over Europe in petrol stations or local supermarkets

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Here they are allowed it to leave it at a willing neighbour (low value and non medical items), they come back the next day, or drop it at your closest pick-up point. Just dropping it on the curb is weird af. :stare:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I just have a few modulars and cool cars displayed. Lost a lot of display room when we downsized. Not in shot are a few randoms, like Imperial Flagship, Wall-E, and Benny's SSS!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
USPS once left a $500 package at my door without so much as a knock even though it was supposed to require a signature. My mailman also once crammed 7 bubble mailer packages into my mailbox, destroying the contents of three of them in the process, rather than walking them the extra 15 feet to my doorstep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Olpainless posted:

Package theft is worryingly common nowadays, and I'm honestly tempted to get a front-door cam.

In Work-In-Progress news, I've nearly finished a crab mecha:

Got a few pieces to order to finish this off I think, but got to wait til February now for Bricks and Pieces to re-open. There's a bunch of notes on the Flickr photos explaining what I'm planning to alter.

It is self supporting and posable!

This is awesome!