Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

welp, found our next banner ad

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

well at least it's reassuring to know that I've got my all life to live

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop is the latest comic to get a reboot. It's about a time travelling caveman. The new version starts today.
[url=https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/arts/design/alley-oop-comic-strip.html]

Are you sure we're still getting preteen Alley Oop? Because this just looks like regular old Alley Oop to me, and I'm not really sure how middle school drama is supposed to be worked into a comic with a premise as straightforward as just punching dinosaurs.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

And I learned a new word today.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Guy TT posted:

Are you sure we're still getting preteen Alley Oop? Because this just looks like regular old Alley Oop to me, and I'm not really sure how middle school drama is supposed to be worked into a comic with a premise as straightforward as just punching dinosaurs.
This is regular Alley Oop. Li'l Oop is basically a separate comic that runs on Sundays while the main, adult Alley Oop runs the others six days. We won't see the first Li'l Oop till next week.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Haifisch posted:

2011 Spiderman

Oooooooohhhh boy, this is going to rule :allears:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: This page banned from Tumblr for female-presenting nipples, or Pardon me, boys, but is that the trans-Siberian choo-choo?, or For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

:nws::nws:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm pretty excited for nu-Oop, I generally like Joey Allison Sayers and the new art looks nice as well.

BCN

BC with special guest and friend of the thread

The Original Title of the Strip

Wallace

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Sam's Strip

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/14/88

Tarzan: Beware All Humans with Friendly Vibrations

Glorified Scrivener fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 10, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I wish I could learn more about Mordock the man. Who is he? What does he look like? Does he have pets? These questions keep me up at night.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, the old-man face is a lot less dramatic with color dailies.

Also, after a million years it finally dawned on me that the American stereotype in pulps exists (at least in part) so there's at least one character willing to show up and just tell us the plot without a bunch of duplicity. It's like the author saying, "does this look like a guy smart enough to be playing 4D chess? No, you can trust him to be laying actual groundwork."

Big dumb yanks, punching guys too important to be punched and exposition dumping since forever, apparently.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

What is "desoit"?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Discendo Vox posted:

What is "desoit"?

"dessert"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

What is "desoit"?

AHA I figured it out while yelling at google

desoit = dessert. Try saying it

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thanks Ripley, William Buckland is a legitimately interesting guy I hadn't heard about before.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
hahahaha I was trying to find archaic french

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiggum posted:

Fred Basset

:wtc: did genteel old fred basset join a gang?

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can't loving do that! She's in college, he's an adult! They are your ROOMMATES at this point!

Meg is in high school and Ed can still ground Dustin since he's too lazy to get his own house

FrumpleOrz posted:

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CommonShore posted:

:wtc: did genteel old fred basset join a gang?

I think he's pretty much always been in a gang. He's a dog, and was created at a time when a pet dog would be allowed and expected to wander the streets at will, getting into (among other things) fights with other dogs.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

And because I decided I needed to post even more charmingly dumb comics, I'm going to start posting Locher era Tracy along with the modern ones. We're jumping in on April 08, 2001.

hell yes :getin:

Does anybody have a good source for like, the very beginning of Locher era Tracy? I kinda want to see if it was as baffling and had as many weird art things at the start.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

C’mon. Wishful Stinking is right there.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Tarzan: Beware All Humans with Friendly Vibrations

You know, it says something that the apes can express the concept of "Beware all humans!" in a single word.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

And Toni was concerned about what they would think of the paint color. These idiots.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Allow me to raise this concern at this, the least appropriate time possible

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

snack eater posted:

Meg is in high school and Ed can still ground Dustin since he's too lazy to get his own house

I could have sworn Meg was in college. My point stands with Dustin, though. He's a loving adult. He's a roommate, not a child, and Ed cannot ground him.*

*I mean technically he can, but that seems like gross misuse of power to me. If Ed's going to complain about his son being a lazy worthless bum, treating him like a child is not going to help!**

**I'm aware that Ed wants his son to suffer forever because he hates him, which leads me back around to: gently caress Dustin the comic strip. I hate it.

Full disclosure: I'm a college student living with my parents because it's cheaper than a dorm, and if they tried to ground me it'd pretty much destroy our relationship of mutual trust and respect. As their roommate I pay my rent and do my chores and work hard. If there's a problem, we talk it out and find a solution.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

StrixNebulosa posted:

*I mean technically he can, but that seems like gross misuse of power to me.
Can he really, though? How's he going to stop an adult from leaving the house?

Even without a relationship of mutual respect, being a douchey hardass doesn't work if your adult son knows your attempts at grounding him have no teeth.

(Normally the teeth would be the threat of evicting him, but if Ed was going to do that he'd have done it a long time ago, considering how much he hates Dustin.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Even without a relationship of mutual respect, being a douchey hardass doesn't work if your adult son knows your attempts at grounding him have no teeth.

(Normally the teeth would be the threat of evicting him, but if Ed was going to do that he'd have done it a long time ago, considering how much he hates Dustin.)

Hence the technically: technically Ed could evict him and take his keys and so on. We know he won't, but yeah. This is part of why you have to be really careful with the boundaries and respect in this kind of relationship. Parents as landlords is tricky...and it could be an interesting and relevant dynamic to explore in this comic strip, given that more and more people are moving back in with their parents due to economics, but Dustin? Actually look at that thoughtfully? Hahahaha.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

I mean I agree that it's stupid but the teeth is "or stop living rent-free in my house, adult failson"

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
How do you stop a teenager from leaving the house

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Don't forget, the real reason Ed wants Dustin to succeed is so that Dustin can buy him stuff to "make up" for all the money Ed has spent on him.

That was an actual comic.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

"That wouldn't be fair." I love this comic so much. :allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Simple perfection, Sonny, you beautiful idiot. :allears:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

The competition is just wonderful all around. The final part of the "theory" portion has one of my favorite jokes/character moments in the entire series.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop is the latest comic to get a reboot. It's about a time travelling caveman. The new version starts today.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/arts/design/alley-oop-comic-strip.html

Hey the writer is one of the Nib regulars! I look forward to seeing how this plays out!

F Minus

Macanudo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4IiGBwSBUE

Maybe I'm being too hard on the artist, but I find it hard to believe this kid is dancing around to some deep cut Talking Heads track.

Mark Trail

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

Not far from the reality.
Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Holy poo poo I'm not even sure you get that much leg room in first class.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

How does he know Tommie regularly kills terminally ill patients?

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 7, 2019

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

And Toni was concerned about what they would think of the paint color. These idiots.

I hope they pulled permits for that construction.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Holy poo poo I'm not even sure you get that much leg room in first class.

All of the Morgans are under 5'5" tall.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Who are those adults in the last panel? And where did the kids go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Samovar posted:

Corto Maltese

Top middle panel here is pretty great even in context.