Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

I don't think Obama would do it for decorum reasons. Past presidents are super shy about commenting on current presidents and that would be an amazingly enraging move. Would love to see it, but it is way more likely to be someone relatively minor with close ties to the debate over immigration policy as a kind of training run imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Priapus Unbound posted:

I don't think Obama would do it for decorum reasons. Past presidents are super shy about commenting on current presidents and that would be an amazingly enraging move. Would love to see it, but it is way more likely to be someone relatively minor with close ties to the debate over immigration policy as a kind of training run imo.

beto o'rourke? :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Priapus Unbound posted:

OTOH, Obama is easily our best orator. Maybe reminding people what having a normal president is like will help offset some of the outage fatigue.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

very normal

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1082500987317829632

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

It’s gonna be chuck schumer and it’s gonna be awful.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

theflyingorc posted:

The obvious answer is the surprisingly woke Axl Rose

This didn't get nearly enough love last page. Mods plz name change to "Surpsingly Woke Axl Rose" tia

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

There’s less than 24 hours before the rebuttal and anyone close to charismatic is running for POTUS in 2020 and it’ll be seen as “favoritism” to let a potential candidate up there.

The only way out of Schumer or Pelosi going up there and blowing it is to find a famous first or second generation Hispanic American who can speak to people about their family coming here for the American dream and connect with the audience like a human for 5 minutes.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Fart City posted:

at what point does this entire nation just flip over into Emergency State as a permanent status

USPOL Winter: The United States of Emergency

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Remember when we had a terror alert system and it was constantly at orange or whatever the setting was that told us we were supposed to be duct taping drop clothes across all our doors and windows because a chemical attack was incoming? And it just like stayed there for a year or two?

I just thought of that.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1082502207344463874?s=19
https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1082503623362383872?s=19

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Federal court is where you go to be chill about brief and memo deadlines

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Randbrick posted:

Federal court is where you go to be chill about brief and memo deadlines

it's where you quote animal house and when the judge calls you out you reply "that's like, your opinion, man"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Jedi425 posted:

USPOL Winter: The United States of Emergency

CUZ this is MY United States of EMERGENCY

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

STAC Goat posted:

Remember when we had a terror alert system and it was constantly at orange or whatever the setting was that told us we were supposed to be duct taping drop clothes across all our doors and windows because a chemical attack was incoming? And it just like stayed there for a year or two?
The fear that ANOTHER ATTACK IS COMING really made people irrational.

And then it was all spoofed on American Dad. I think the Terror Alert dial is still on their fridge in the newer episodes just sittin there.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

eke out posted:

it's where you quote animal house and when the judge calls you out you reply "that's like, your opinion, man"

This seems like something Don Jr. would do

Please god let him do this

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I just thought of that.

Although actually the "incoming, man the duct tape" level was red which it never went to because obviously if you do that and nothing happens you'll look incompetent and people will ignore it next time. It occasionally went down to yellow for variety but it never went lower (green or blue) for political reasons, if a terrorist attack happened at a calm level the government would look even more incompetent than they already did.

But mostly yeah it was at orange because that was the most politically safe color, and was totally useless.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 8, 2019

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Priapus Unbound posted:

Melania trump comes out and gives a speech about how wonderful it is that America's loose immigration laws allowed her and her parents to come to this wonderful country.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

This seems like something Don Jr. would do

Please god let him do this

sorry, to be clear, that was a literal description of what counsel for (russian troll farm) Concord Management actually did

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

eke out posted:

sorry, to be clear, that was a literal description of what counsel for (russian troll farm) Concord Management actually did

:lol:

I can't believe a lawyer actually tried that

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 8, 2019

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yeah, it's really weird how stable they are. They don't go up and down like most Presidents. The only time his approval has been above his disapproval is the month he was elected.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Hopefully this is a good sign for losing in 2020 if Democrats nominate someone more appealing than a potato.

I think this is part partisanship/fatigue and part decent economy. Pretty much everyone decided what they thought about the dumpster fire also known as the Donald J. Trump presidency inside the first month or so. The endless cycle of minor crises hasn't given people a real opportunity to re-evaluate. Then there's been a lack of things which are uncharacteristically bad so there hasn't been a crisis which is obvious to everyone and which causes people to re-evaluate their position.

I have a dim hope that it's kind of a nonlinear response. Most people will just stick with their party, but there is some crisis which has to be big enough to erode a lot of that support.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Although actually the "incoming, man the duct tape" level was red which it never went to because obviously if you do that and nothing happens you'll look incompetent and people will ignore it next time. It occasionally went down to yellow for variety but it never went lower (green or blue) for political reasons, if a terrorist attack happened at a calm level the government would look even more incompetent than they already did.

But mostly yeah it was at orange because that was the most politically safe color, and was totally useless.

"If it happens and it's low, we're incompetent and if it doesn't happen when it's high, we're incompetent. Therefore it will always be set to 'be really worried about this to justify our racism but not so worried you blame us for feeling unsafe.'"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Majorian posted:

To be fair, it doesn't help that it's so close to "Talib," which is a real name.

Uh...

Anyway, I hope the rebuttal is performed by a child from the ICE camps, one who has a moving story and vocabulary beyond his years, and he concludes with "Humanitarian crisis? That orange motherfucker is the humanitarian crisis."

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

STAC Goat posted:

I just thought of that.

I remember being like 9? and having nightmares we were going to get Vx gassed by the Iraqi's with their SCUDS.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hunh I didn't realize before but the color system was officially done away with in 2011, and replaced with two levels "elevated" and "imminent" (it's never been at imminent). Which at least makes some sense, since it was always at orange anyway might as well just have two levels "fine" and "oh poo poo we gonna die".

Another thing I didn't know before from that article, but when Tom Ridge, Bush's Homeland Security Secretary, resigned he openly slammed Bush for using the terror alert system to gin up fear for political purposes. Like no surprise there, but jfc I didn't realize it was so blatant that he made his own advisers uncomfortable with it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Another thing I didn't know before from that article, but when Tom Ridge, Bush's Homeland Security Secretary, resigned he openly slammed Bush for using the terror alert system to gin up fear for political purposes. Like no surprise there, but jfc I didn't realize it was so blatant that he made his own advisers uncomfortable with it.

I bet at the time, they were perfectly happy with it, and this is revisionist clean up. How many books from the Trump admin are going to profess to have been uncomfortable with him so blatantly couching his own racism in the term "humanitarian crisis" when they were probably one of the architects of the messaging?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Shifty Pony posted:

Might I suggest foster John's kitten cam? No ads and they have a very good crop of tuxedo and cowcats right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efH-53Wx73Q

My work output today just dropped off the chart

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

VitalSigns posted:

Why do you hate the Dutch?

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

i have been checkmated ya'll

https://twitter.com/BrianKarem/status/1082488838486777856

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I bet at the time, they were perfectly happy with it, and this is revisionist clean up. How many books from the Trump admin are going to profess to have been uncomfortable with him so blatantly couching his own racism in the term "humanitarian crisis" when they were probably one of the architects of the messaging?

Sure he'd have to be a piece of poo poo or he wouldn't have worked for Bush, but I'm still surprised that someone from the administration came out and said "yeah we did that", and it's just a known fact that it happened rather than a conspiratorial thing that we think Bush would do but was never proved.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"So much for the tolerant left," as posited by the Sphinx from Mystery Men.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Obama is definitely the best option. I know that he's not the most popular with a lot of the lefties here but you'd have to be brain dead to not recognize that he is one of the best orators in well ever.

He's very popular, insanely charismatic and blindingly cool and he reminds people of a more sane world simply by existing.

Additionally since he is a former President there won't be any questions about whether it's about pushing any particular Democrat's presidential aspirations diffusing any potential inter-party anger on that.

I can't think of anything that would trigger Trump more, that would send a stronger signal that business as usual is done. That this is a normal political problem. That there is a national emergency and it's sitting in the Oval Office.

Unfortunately it'll probably be Schumer.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

A take so old, it's probably heritage listed.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

I know that people in this thread (mostly) don't need this explained but.

quote:

Karl Popper first described it in 1945—expressing the seemingly paradoxical idea that, "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance."

It's almost as if something had happened recently in 1945 to make this painfully clear to Popper.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1082492441020661761

quote:

After the delegation noticed that the EU's Washington ambassador had not been invited to certain events late last year, officials organizing the state funeral for President George H.W. Bush provided final confirmation to EU diplomats that the status of the representation had in fact been downgraded. Diplomats believe the downgrade must have been implemented in late October or early November.

At the high-profile event on December 5, as diplomats gathered in Washington to pay their respects, the EU's ambassador to Washington, David O'Sullivan, was not called up in the usual chronological order from the longest-serving to the newest ambassador, said the EU official. "But he was called up as the last person."

Prior to the demotion, O'Sullivan — who has served as the EU's ambassador to Washington since 2014 — would have been ranked among the first 20 or 30 ambassadors of the more than 150 foreign representatives dispatched to the US capital.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I don't know how much experience any of the freshmen have on the sort of sustained, extremely short notice, live, zero feedback speech style that a response calls for. It's an incredibly difficult thing to pull off, even for good speakers, and the person who gets it for the SOTU is usually basically putting themselves on the altar. Without getting into the weeds, there are a bunch of reasons it may be easier this time, but still.

ahahhahahahahaahAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Thanks.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Baron Zephyrus posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

I know that people in this thread (mostly) don't need this explained but.

It's almost as if something had happened recently in 1945 to make this painfully clear to Popper.

The Paradox of Tolerance is a neat thought experiment, but it's bankrupt in a practical sense because it frames tolerance as some kind of one-sided vow. It isn't. Tolerance is a mutual exchange and nobody is under any obligation to put up with a person who is being actively intolerant.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Skippy McPants posted:

The Paradox of Tolerance is a neat thought experiment, but it's bankrupt in a practical sense because it frames tolerance as some kind of one-sided vow. It isn't. Tolerance is a mutual exchange and nobody is under any obligation to put up with a person who is being actively intolerant.

"Be nice to the Nazi's lest ye become them!!"
"No"
"You're stooping to their level!"
"No."
"RADICAL LEFTIST!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

eke out posted:

I genuinely believe that's a tactic designed to get him off the case to stall for a new counsel continuance