Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Powered Descent posted:

The headline is unreadable even in the online comic, which means in newsprint it must be hopeless. We're left with nothing to make fun of but the Yahoo! product placement.
GROOM MISSING DURING ISLAND HONEYMOON, BRIDE HELD FOR QUESTIONING for anyone who doesn't want to squint at the screen. Can't even imagine trying to read that in print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hate to dump on a strip only two days in, but this doesn't seem very good

Also the mother of all cold opens. These are really the first two strips? Do they come right off a previous run where we actually, like, could have seen the time travel bit?

Yes, actually. From 1939 until last September, Alley Oop went on time-travel adventures courtesy of a modern-day scientist who had pulled him to the present.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Huh, fair enough! I thought it was one of those strips that had been lying dormant for a while. Making 80 years of time travel into "it was just a dream" seems bold but new authors can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

...What did he write on the calendar?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
random Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

...What did he write on the calendar?

...Huh, I forgot we don't have that in English language culture. Which is funny, since as you can see, it's in English, and is based on an English language reference. Specifically, D-Day. When making long-term plans South Korean people will often designate D-# to mean number of days until the plan is executed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

...Huh, I forgot we don't have that in English language culture. Which is funny, since as you can see, it's in English, and is based on an English language reference. Specifically, D-Day. When making long-term plans South Korean people will often designate D-# to mean number of days until the plan is executed.

Oh, that's cool! :rip: Taku

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

:siren:GOON DERAIL INCOMING:siren:

Tina's Groove Classic (June 16, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 16, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 16, 1987)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Haifisch posted:

2011 Spiderman

Hells yeah this is a goodie

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis

rose-is-rose-adding-spices-is-tampering-with-food.txt

e:

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 8, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ps the secret ingredient is beans

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: Setting the scene with the good Duchess Seminova, or Remind me never to fall in love with a Russian, then, or Will our heroes survive?! Write in YOUR answer on the back of an envelop to this address:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Powered Descent posted:

rose-is-rose-adding-spices-is-tampering-with-food.txt

e:

As someone who's on a post-surgical diet for two goddamn months, I am infuriated. I can't have pepper, garlic, any vegetables other than cooked carrots and canned beans - I'd kill someone for a spicy garlic pickle right now. These fuckin' people...

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Sam's Strip

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/15/88

Tarzan: Admirable Pawchak

Glorified Scrivener fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 10, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh hey it's modern Hagar's playbook

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
in a way, i get where they're coming from. some stuff is punishingly spicy and basically pure capsaicin, and i'm a guy who generally can't eat anything savory without hot sauce poured all over it

but no way in hell should a wendy's burger max your tastebuds out

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qj0KlHqo58

[sigh]...ONIONS...

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jonathan "Linda" K. here believing that a single drop of Frank's Red Hot diffused throughout a 9" x 13" casserole is some sort of insane breach of trust, like Aunt Karen just chucking an entire fugu into the cream of mushroom

ETA:

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 8, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

From a very long way back, but the more boss Dharma I see, the more I think that this partial panel from the haircut strip would make a great av:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop

That sure is a coconut tree, yessir

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 16, 1997)

This is adorable

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Haifisch posted:

2011 Spiderman

is this the odin sleep storyline

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i also find that a lot of discussions about spicy food online tend to turn into a weird dick-measuring, "i'm not white because i like heat" contest

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Strontium posted:

guestboob by Tedd Rall

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Strontium posted:

Puzzled by this lady's coat.

E: post above mine said it better.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hah, good catch. Tod Rool is the worst.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

hey, so today I learned something awful and you need to learn it too

I couldn't figure out why the heck Gwen liked the round cardboard costume best until I remembered her frosty the snowman fetish

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Mars, You Say?

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is this the odin sleep storyline

I think so.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

StrixNebulosa posted:

hey, so today I learned something awful and you need to learn it too

I couldn't figure out why the heck Gwen liked the round cardboard costume best until I remembered her frosty the snowman fetish

Look at it from a different angle. She seems to prefer the costumes that do a better job of covering up his flabby body that's never seen exercise, since that's a thing for jocks and nerds should be happy being corpulent masses that don't conform to your stupid jock beauty standard.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Strong potential with that panel 4. I can't isolate nancy, but here's what I can do in Paint 3D.

Really, I think the comic has a lot of manipulation potential in general.

...do we have a Bushmiller font?

The Arlo and Janis with the chili secret ingredient could also use some love. And by love, I mean dog semen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 8, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

inevitable:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Arlo and Janis

Nuclear take:

Put whatever ingredients you like into your chili. It's a stew, the whole point is being able to vary the ingredients based on what you have on hand.

Unless you're this guy, then bash your head into the wall because you're a fuckwit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Heck with it here are the other two:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I hope it's alright that I'm attaching these files to posts. This is a function I almost never use, but imgur would convert these files to jpgs or something.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Mildred :allears:

That Newspaper Spider-Man storyline looks like it's going places. I can't wait to see how MJ-as-Sif works out. Although I seem to recall that in 616 continuity, it was hinted that MJ was actually the modern-day incarnation of Red Sonja. Wonder if that will come back into canon now Marvel's got the Conan rights back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Mildred :allears:

"Swit swoo" is another all time moment, though how did she get down from the bridge so quickly? I was going to say I didn't remember a lot of that page, but the middle three panels are completely new!