Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Quoting my opinion of New California from the Fo76 thread, where someone asked about it:

CommissarMega posted:

The first hour and change of the game is basically 'nerds rule and jocks drool'- the cool doctor wise man has a few cracks about how the science guys shape the future while sportspeople just gently caress, and the bad guy of the prologue is an Enclave infiltrator who of course has influenced most of the sports-inclined kids to become his willing ISIS members. One female character calls another a 'cum dumpster', and if you're harsh on the insulter then you can say goodbye to one of your harder-hitting companions. A somewhat interesting character concept, that of a cheerful tribal who likes comic books, gets discarded in favour of a gritty-voiced edgelord. There's a lot more stuff I'm missing probably, but just lol at the idea of having to put in more thought into NC than I have to.

That said, what really killed NC for me is the fact that it's just boring as gently caress. There's sodall to do (IIRC, the creator's even said he doesn't want to include sidequests because it's a small team and effort is haaard you guys), with you locked into a path very early on, whether you side with the Enclave in the prologue, or choose between the NCR and a survivalist group later, all without having any but the smallest amount of info on the sides you'll be taking to the endgame. And on that path there is, as I said, nothing much to do, just go from setpiece to setpiece with performance-chugging horde battles that would fit Call of Duty more than Fallout.

Honestly, I'd be able to somewhat forgive NC if it was an F3 or F4 mod, but coming after New Vegas it's a massive letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
that voice acting seemed alright for a mod

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Thank you for the write-up and for finding the link for me.

It's really interesting how different people's takes can be while talking about basically the same thing. I guess I learned my lesson and will take future articles on RPS with a (even bigger) grain of salt. I'm really disappointed the writer literally does not say anything about the actual content of the mod except praising the two early game decisions as "wildly altering" the subsequent story under the guise of the mod promoting "big choices" which paints extremely superficial, incomplete and probably inaccurate picture.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Sadly RPS seems to going down a weird generic spiral these last few months not even grouchy old man Jim can save it at this point.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Absolutely shocking that a woman would say the cum word

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's more that being a good programmer or level designer does not make you a good writer.

I mean come on, the big twist of New California is thst you were the courier all along! And you had a special healing factor like you're loving wolverine so you brought the codes to the divide and survived the nukes going off but they took away your wolverine-ness in the process and no mention is made of how you don't recognize the divide. I mean, there's the "prequel to New Vegas" in the sense that the game takes place before FNV, and there's the "prequel to New Vegas" where you're literally teenager Courier and the mod literally ends with the opening cinematic of Benny shooting you.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 8, 2019

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MariusLecter posted:

Yes. The mod gets WAY more red pill and misogynist also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pzIpkQDtcM&hd=1

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

hoo boy

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's more that being a good programmer or level designer does not make you a good writer.

I mean come on, the big twist of New California is thst you were the courier all along! And you had a special healing factor like you're loving wolverine so you brought the codes to the divide and survived the nukes going off but they took away your wolverine-ness in the process and no mention is made of how you don't recognize the divide. I mean, there's the "prequel to New Vegas" in the sense that the game takes place before FNV, and there's the "prequel to New Vegas" where you're literally teenager Courier and the mod literally ends with the opening cinematic of Benny shooting you.

Not only that, but you're also the clone of the original Vault Dweller from the first Fallout

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Jesus. That’s all the way up it’s own rear end. Autumn Leaves is a masterpiece comparatively.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's also the plot of the last two seasons of The Storyteller, and that series made it a point to comment on how stupid the whole thing was to begin with.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Anyone know a good mod for making nights look better? The blueberry nights for Nevada Skies is just a cateye effect and brighter night for Electro City doesn't really do it for me.

Starting up a new game after tweaking my load order and overwrites I'll get this going on which I really like for the few moments it exists.

but then it fades and darkens real fast

Any tips or mods?

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 8, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
BlueberrySkies and the tint fiddler mod with a name I don’t remember were the best I got.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Not only that, but you're also the clone of the original Vault Dweller from the first Fallout

In one of the updates, the creator essentially went 'You're stupid if you believed that, It's obvious that the super mutant telling you this is crazy and you were really just cloned off some goop in the Master's chamber' , as though it weren't in line with some of the other ridiculous stuff they were serious about, and how dumb mods can get in general.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When you're writing level is on that of a fifteen year old's scribbles, it can be hard to tell when an author intends for you to notice when a character is lying.

Given that the mod author probably wrote this when he was fifteen and never bothered to update it in the seven years it took to make the mod, that's probably closer to the truth than i realize.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Anyone know a good mod for making nights look better? The blueberry nights for Nevada Skies is just a cateye effect and brighter night for Electro City doesn't really do it for me.

Starting up a new game after tweaking my load order and overwrites I'll get this going on which I really like for the few moments it exists.

Any tips or mods?

i used simple street lights instead of electro city. it seems to work better in general but the lights are really yellow
i also used a mod that makes the pip boy light brighter and a mod that adds signal flares and also carried a lot of cateye at all times. i think i also had brighter nights with nevada skies but im not sure if that did anything

come to think of it a lot of my mods are just there to make the game playable with nevada skies installed

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

MariusLecter posted:

Any tips or mods?

Clarity with 50% darker nights option. It's a very simple mod compared to the ones that mess with weather. Then add vurt's night skies and EWIs moon and cloud textures.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

calusari posted:

Clarity with 50% darker nights option. It's a very simple mod compared to the ones that mess with weather. Then add vurt's night skies and EWIs moon and cloud textures.

Thanks, this is actually looking really great!

Also, does Mod Organizer not have a fnvedit plugin? I like to edit Thompson-Center Contender to fire signal and illuminating flares from Light My Flare.

Using Fnvedit on its own opens up the steam game directory and I can't find a way to get it to open the MO directory.
Am I gonna have to place the esp in the steam directory, edit it there and then move it over and over write the one in mod organizer?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh god DC Mutants and power armor are bullet sponges in TTW at the moment and is killing me, any solutions?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Thanks, this is actually looking really great!

Also, does Mod Organizer not have a fnvedit plugin? I like to edit Thompson-Center Contender to fire signal and illuminating flares from Light My Flare.

Using Fnvedit on its own opens up the steam game directory and I can't find a way to get it to open the MO directory.
Am I gonna have to place the esp in the steam directory, edit it there and then move it over and over write the one in mod organizer?

You need to add a shortcut to FNVEdit inside Mod Organizer and then run it through that so that it can work with MO's virtual filesystem.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh god DC Mutants and power armor are bullet sponges in TTW at the moment and is killing me, any solutions?

Assault carbine with AP ammo?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

SeanBeansShako posted:

Enter console, click the baddy, type kill.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Assault carbine with AP ammo?

Really the only stop gap solution available at the moment, I've pretty much been buying all the AP ammo but it is hilariously in limited supply compared too the explosives I have. I guess just like last time I have to snag the unique Missile Launcher from NV and use it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Get rid of bullet sponges quick and easy with this overpowered multiplas - https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46933

e;
I used this a while back to melt very unbalanced monsters from Monster Mod and A World of Pain.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SeanBeansShako posted:

Any interesting new stable player houses out there at the moment for FNV?

This just popped up - https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66311

A box.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6QZUcRJw-A&t=89s

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Search button for inventory/container/barter/recipe menus, for those of you who absolutely must carry everything all the time

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Fallout New Vegas with 1 extra month of dev time.

quote:

Professionally finishes some unfinished Legion territory on the eastern side of the river.

This mod is what it might've been like had Obsidian been given an extra month to develop the game. Included are a couple of locations added to the expanded world map. I have little interest in continuing this project. So what you see is what you get.

I do not know how this mod will fare during a playthrough, so use at your own risk. Please leave feedback to how it works for you in the comments. If you find a bug, please report it.

---

This mod finishes:

Malpais Legionnaire Camp
Fort Secondary Camp
Legate Camp Road

---

---

Permissions:

You are free to use this mod as a master file and do your own updates/expansions. Including anything from this mod however is strictly forbidden.

Special Thanks:

aarius for helping navmesh the embankment interior

Bold claim.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Crindee posted:

Search button for inventory/container/barter/recipe menus, for those of you who absolutely must carry everything all the time

neat how what's possible is constantly evolving a decade after the game came out

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

just one month huh

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fallout New Vegas Mod But I Immediately Show Off How Little I Know About The Development Process

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

think I remember playing this mod before back when it was called playing new Vegas one month after launch and a bunch of generic npcs got removed for the benefit of consoles

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Any mods for shutting up those loudspeakers in Old World Blues?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Who keeps screaming "Stop excreting on the blue grass" at me through loud speakers. Show yourself, coward.

I will never stop excreting!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Rinkles posted:

neat how what's possible is constantly evolving a decade after the game came out

Morrowind too. The latest advancements with MWSE LUA are hot.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

frankee posted:

Any mods for shutting up those loudspeakers in Old World Blues?

I'm sorry that you hate fun.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love Old World Blues. :kiddo:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

teh m0nkeh of do0m is sciencing the gently caress out of this fuckshitter!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So what are the best and most stable Freeside/The Strip overhauls available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

So what are the best and most stable Freeside/The Strip overhauls available?

There's a compilation version of the new Vegas uncut mods that adds in all of the missing freeside content without Freeside Open.

I've enjoyed New Vegas Freeside Restoration, which is mostly just a reskinned version of Freeside so it's compatible with most mods. There's a mod for the Strip that gives it actual walls instead of a billboard barricade, and it is compatible with The Strip Open. However I've had issues with The Strip Open regarding NPCs. Whole crowds will vanish and then pop back in at random areas. I think it's a memory issue.

And electro-city has a nice addition to Freeside if you shunt the power from Helios One there. It keeps the lights on at night and drastically lowers the amount of thugs spawning in.

I am still looking for a good replacement for repopulated wasteland. It's a memory hog but it is so good for Freeside crowds.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 17, 2019