Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Groovelord Neato posted:

so i read through all of bad blood yesterday and the funniest bit to me wasn't just that sunny was 20 something years older than holmes but he was also chubby dumb manlet.

I read it a few days ago. That whole story is amazing. A charismatic young white women duped a bunch of 60-70 year old men in to letting her con other people using their names and the only reason it didn't work is she couldn't stop at the first few billion dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Do they still make the regylar cuffs you use a stethascope with? Those are quick and easy to learn.

Hard to do those on yourself though unless you're good at reading tiny numbers upside down (unless you get one of the ones where the dial's on a hose), plus pumping the bulb can gently caress with your BP. In general they're super easy, yeah.

Media Bloodbath posted:

Home blood pressure monitors are not to be trusted. A study published a couple of years ago came to the conclusion that more than 50% of the readings of home devices were unacceptably inaccurate.

They're extraordinarily terrible. The only times I've had really high (150+) reads were with a home monitor and during an active panic attack. The home unit's BP actually went down after I worked out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MickeyFinn posted:

I read it a few days ago. That whole story is amazing. A charismatic young white women duped a bunch of 60-70 year old men in to letting her con other people using their names and the only reason it didn't work is she couldn't stop at the first few billion dollars.

yeah it was kinda sad and hilarious how dumb the masters of the universe are.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/felixsalmon/status/1082637320891887616

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

oh good their slide into a cult continues

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

So is this just like that Worry Free company from Sorry To Bother You?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

exploded mummy posted:

oh good their slide into a cult continues

Where the hell is Valleywag when we need it most?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how the gently caress are they burning through that much money.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Groovelord Neato posted:

how the gently caress are they burning through that much money.

They've been entering into a shitload of expensive leases for office space they'll never be able to rent out, in thousands of cities.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man i need to get in on this grift.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The hell do they even do?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The hell do they even do?

originally they sublet workspace for companies and handled the facilities overhead for the spaces

then they started subletting apartments

and are now about to start educating children based on the founder wife's philosophy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vice caught a company selling cell phone tracking data to basically anyone who wanted it

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1082685714066796544?s=21

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Neumann says he and his team thrive under pressure. “Do you know how long it takes a diamond to be created?” he asks me. “Half a million to 4 million years. I love that analogy: to make something very precious, you have to apply a lot of pressure.”

hey, my dental hygenist has the same quote on her desk

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Vice caught a company selling cell phone tracking data to basically anyone who wanted it

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1082685714066796544?s=21

I love the super weasely tweet from the CEO. "We don't sell customer location data to shady middlemen * **"

* 'shady' is determined solely by T-Mobile
** excludes non-shady middlemen selling data to other shady middlemen, beyond maybe a buried clause in contract which says "hey we're not going to enforce this but please don't sell to shady middlemen"

enki42 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 8, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Harik posted:

The cheap IoS gadget was off, or the clinic was off?

The clinic was off (compared to prior doctor visits, the machines at pharmacies and the IOT stuff) because they cuffed me wrong.

I don't blame them, it's kinda hard to do it right when you have a bleeding patient in front of you who needs 4 stitches because he tripped crossing an intersection.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Do they still make the regylar cuffs you use a stethascope with? Those are quick and easy to learn.

I have one of those too. Might make sense to do a compare.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

aware of dog posted:

So is this just like that Worry Free company from Sorry To Bother You?

It's getting there. They are doing some sort of nerd-dorm thing in SF and NY.

https://www.welive.com

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VideoGameVet posted:

The clinic was off (compared to prior doctor visits, the machines at pharmacies and the IOT stuff) because they cuffed me wrong.

I don't blame them, it's kinda hard to do it right when you have a bleeding patient in front of you who needs 4 stitches because he tripped crossing an intersection.

Taking your blood pressure while you are in the hospital and bleeding seems like it would just be actually different than taking it some random nice day at a pharmacy or something.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Best CES Headline:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a shame it won't live! But then again who does?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Taking your blood pressure while you are in the hospital and bleeding seems like it would just be actually different than taking it some random nice day at a pharmacy or something.

Yep. Better explanation than mine.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bezos getting divorced. She must be getting a hell of a payout. I wonder if he'll have trouble finding a new woman...

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

Bezos getting divorced. She must be getting a hell of a payout. I wonder if he'll have trouble finding a new woman...

https://twitter.com/RiverClegg/status/1083061045420281856

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Featured in this article: A looooong list of people who deserve a spot in the guillotine queue:

So You Automated Your Co-Workers Out of a Job

Yes, cry for the rear end in a top hat techs and soulless middle managers who sold out their fellow workers. :rolleyes:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

VideoGameVet posted:

Best CES Headline:

This machine kills fascists

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Featured in this article: A looooong list of people who deserve a spot in the guillotine queue:

Yes, cry for the rear end in a top hat techs and soulless middle managers who sold out their fellow workers. :rolleyes:

Actually, automating people out of jobs easily done by robots is cool and good. It's just the current lack of universal basic income that's an issue.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

suck my woke dick posted:

Actually, automating people out of jobs easily done by robots is cool and good. It's just the current lack of universal basic income that's an issue.

If you help put your fellow workers out of a job knowing there is currently no safety net for them nor will there be for the foreseeable future, that makes you an accessory to possible manslaughter, hth.

gently caress those people, I don't give a poo poo how hand-wringy they say they felt about it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

If you help put your fellow workers out of a job knowing there is currently no safety net for them nor will there be for the foreseeable future, that makes you an accessory to possible manslaughter, hth.

gently caress those people, I don't give a poo poo how hand-wringy they say they felt about it.

Counter-point: If you can lose your job to automation, you should lose your job to automation. You’re doing the equivalent of busy work and being a drag on those around you. Jobs are not a zero-sum game, we’re past full employment right now. and the faster you get dropped from a position where you are a drag the faster you’ll get a job where you’re actually contributing something worthwhile.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

LanceHunter posted:

Counter-point: If you can lose your job to automation, you should lose your job to automation. You’re doing the equivalent of busy work and being a drag on those around you. Jobs are not a zero-sum game, we’re past full employment right now. and the faster you get dropped from a position where you are a drag the faster you’ll get a job where you’re actually contributing something worthwhile.

Good thing I can pay rent with my feeling of fulfilment

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

counter counter point - nobody owes society anything and stealing wages from your boss to survive is better than stealing money from your neighbors. at least half of white collar work is pointless busywork for a professional class who collectively agree their time is better spent passing around emails than digging ditches

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

Good thing I can pay rent with my feeling of fulfilment

I pay my landlord in exposure.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Sundae posted:

Is there a market for pudgy Italians with receding hairlines? Asking for a friend.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

Is there a market for pudgy Italians with receding hairlines? Asking for a friend.

Absolutely. You've just described me! :haw:

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade, the enemy is never your fellow worker, but the owner of production who is extracting wealth from the value we create!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sundae posted:

Me too, but every time I catch their cigarette ember behind my closet door I feel a little dirty. :(

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

LanceHunter posted:

Counter-point: Invisible Hand Rational Actor utilitarian bullshit Randian philosophy has long been realized to be some of the most laughable poo poo to preach this side of Nazi Trumpism or anti-vax bullshit. Which is to say, it is completely and utterly in the realm of fiction, and not something that exists in the actual world. Back in the 1950s, all the great thinkers were musing about how rich our culture would be and how vastly accentuated things like music, the arts and other things that help it grow would be once we weren't slaving doing "busywork" because we had to. We were supposed to be able to work less and still have the means to survive, and thrive. Instead we're in Late Stage Capitalism with everyone forced by the upper .01% to clamber over each other to grab at whatever scraps we can get our hands on as the oceans rise to drown us all, and we also have "Well, ACTUALLY..." smug-rear end Randian fuckface nerds like you saying it's the proletariat's fault this has happened. Well, gently caress you. I hope you get automated out of a job very soon.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
People still use the term "late stage capitalism" unironically? In 2019?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

qkkl posted:

Comrade, the enemy is never your fellow worker, but the owner of production who is extracting wealth from the value we create!

Collaborators are traitors to their comrades, and as such must be counted among their dark masters when the blood begins to flow freely.

For what could be more abhorrent than denying your fellow laborer the only currency she still has with the system: her labor itself!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

VH4Ever posted:

Counter-point: Invisible Hand Rational Actor utilitarian bullshit Randian philosophy has long been realized to be some of the most laughable poo poo to preach this side of Nazi Trumpism or anti-vax bullshit. Which is to say, it is completely and utterly in the realm of fiction, and not something that exists in the actual world. Back in the 1950s, all the great thinkers were musing about how rich our culture would be and how vastly accentuated things like music, the arts and other things that help it grow would be once we weren't slaving doing "busywork" because we had to. We were supposed to be able to work less and still have the means to survive, and thrive. Instead we're in Late Stage Capitalism with everyone forced by the upper .01% to clamber over each other to grab at whatever scraps we can get our hands on as the oceans rise to drown us all, and we also have "Well, ACTUALLY..." smug-rear end Randian fuckface nerds like you saying it's the proletariat's fault this has happened. Well, gently caress you. I hope you get automated out of a job very soon.

A bunch of ridiculous utopian fantasies from the 50s not coming true (because apparently the great thinkers of the time didn't comprehend the hedonic treadmill) doesn't wipe away the fact that extreme poverty is literally the lowest it has been in all human history. That people around the world have access to more information, art, and opportunity than ever before in history. Or that violence is the lowest it has been for as far back as we can measure.

fishmech posted:

People still use the term "late stage capitalism" unironically? In 2019?

Millennials, as a generation, are still collectively going through the phase where they are establishing their lives, recognizing that they aren't going to live up to the dreams they had for themselves, and trying to find something to blame other than themselves.

It's pretty insufferable (as a whole generation basically turns into college-sophomore Marxists), but isn't nearly as bad as it'll be three decades from now, when they're basically gonna be baby boomers 2, electric boogaloo.