Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Its a few pages back, but I own a 2014 Pathfinder, I got it Dec 2013.

At the time, it was a reasonable 7 seater (the 2013/14 highlanders don't fit adults easily in the back row) that was $200 a month less on the lease than the highlander.
It was also rated at something like 7 l/100km (33 mpg)

Pros:
Back seats are nice, has a really nice tilt and slide that works with LATCH car seats
I have the platinum, the around view camera was amazing comparitively
CVT makes it really smooth driving
Can tow 5k lbs
$200 a month over 48 months paid for half of my buyout
Good in the snow

Cons:

Has had 3 transmission replacements under warranty, first one after 9k km.
- last one the day after I paid off the lease
- there was a class action lawsuit that extended the warranty which is why I bought the lease
- CVT had to be reprogrammed so now it drives rougher
Has had 2 Transfer Cases because it likes to leak oil onto the exhaust and smell burning. Seems like it is doing that again, and now its not under warranty
Gets 21 mpg. Has never gotten 30, not even crusing on the highway
Towing 5k lbs makes it poo poo out transmissions (see above)
On changing the brakes, I saw the suspension a-arms use a horizontal rubber bushing for motion instead of something that turns on the right axis, so the rubber is all cracked
Uses one off 20" tires so tires are expensive and for the longest time the only options were the ones that came on the car

Basically its a lifted altima wagon that they stuffed extra seats in the trunk. If the transmissions didn't fall apart, it would be a reasonable car.
I would get one for cheap (and I did, I bought mine for $22k after the 4 years, dealers wanted $30k cdn for the same car with more km) but not if you have a choice for something else. Plus the real answer is minivan if you need the third row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

On the upside, being blind, you don't have to look at it, because woof!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yo, new emotes, integrate these into your everyday posting

:haibrow:
:hydrated:
:jpmf:
:jail2:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My HD is a 10 minute walk away. I usually ride my skateboard and people look at me weird when i'm walking around the store with it

Because you should be riding your skateboard around the store presumably

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Finally got time to finish up the laptop/SSD thing, it's amazing, anyone on the fence just go buy one now, totally worth the media creation hassle.

Now to figure out connecting the printer to the router so I can print without kneeling Infront of the printer because I've no long cables.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift is checking out european hearses BESTATTUNGSWAGENS for some reason

These would make dope rear end little campers. some of them say they get like 45MPG with their massive 100hp diesels.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Finally got time to finish up the laptop/SSD thing, it's amazing, anyone on the fence just go buy one now, totally worth the media creation hassle.

Now to figure out connecting the printer to the router so I can print without kneeling Infront of the printer because I've no long cables.

my laptop only supports SATA 2, so i bought 2 cheap SSDs and run them in raid 0. Can't do TRIM but i leave it running so garbage collection should take care of it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My girlfriends dad would drive her to school (and park right outside) in a bright blue lovely Volvo hearse. Partly to embarrass with her, of course.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

These would make dope rear end little campers. some of them say they get like 45MPG with their massive 100hp diesels.

my laptop only supports SATA 2, so i bought 2 cheap SSDs and run them in raid 0. Can't do TRIM but i leave it running so garbage collection should take care of it.

Oh gently caress, I wanted a Grumman LLV as my "impossible car" but these are seriously about to overtake that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Queen Combat posted:

Oh gently caress, I wanted a Grumman LLV as my "impossible car" but these are seriously about to overtake that.

That benz is extremely doable.

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=267550248

diesel, man trans, legal to import into the US.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Powershift posted:

*ahem*

:allears:

Owned by this guy; https://www.instagram.com/jokimbele/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I never even consider DER KRANKENWAGEN as i figured they would all just be vans.

Ya'll europeans come up with the craziest poo poo

The volvo is AWD and has heated seats.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Those are cool as hell. I look forward to reading about your haunted camper project :ghost:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my high school chums is an air traffic controller at a large airport in the midwest. He posted on FB that less than half the TSA agents in his airport are still showing up to work and the NATCA (their union) is pondering telling members to also cease showing up for work. He is also clear that he does not speak for anyone or the union but this is what's being talked about.

So uh, better fly while you can.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

blindjoe posted:

Its a few pages back, but I own a 2014 Pathfinder, I got it Dec 2013.

At the time, it was a reasonable 7 seater (the 2013/14 highlanders don't fit adults easily in the back row) that was $200 a month less on the lease than the highlander.
It was also rated at something like 7 l/100km (33 mpg)

Pros:
Back seats are nice, has a really nice tilt and slide that works with LATCH car seats
I have the platinum, the around view camera was amazing comparitively
CVT makes it really smooth driving
Can tow 5k lbs
$200 a month over 48 months paid for half of my buyout
Good in the snow

Cons:

- there was a class action lawsuit that extended the warranty which is why I bought the lease
Has had 2 Transfer Cases because it likes to leak oil onto the exhaust and smell burning. Seems like it is doing that again, and now its not under warranty
Gets 21 mpg. Has never gotten 30, not even crusing on the highway
Towing 5k lbs makes it poo poo out transmissions (see above)
On changing the brakes, I saw the suspension a-arms use a horizontal rubber bushing for motion instead of something that turns on the right axis, so the rubber is all cracked
Uses one off 20" tires so tires are expensive and for the longest time the only options were the ones that came on the car

Basically its a lifted altima wagon that they stuffed extra seats in the trunk. If the transmissions didn't fall apart, it would be a reasonable car.
I would get one for cheap (and I did, I bought mine for $22k after the 4 years, dealers wanted $30k cdn for the same car with more km) but not if you have a choice for something else. Plus the real answer is minivan if you need the third row.

Man I guess Nissan really can't make a transmission to save their lives. And I thought the V6 accords were bad for going out around 80-100k! drat

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

One of my high school chums is an air traffic controller at a large airport in the midwest. He posted on FB that less than half the TSA agents in his airport are still showing up to work and the NATCA (their union) is pondering telling members to also cease showing up for work. He is also clear that he does not speak for anyone or the union but this is what's being talked about.

I do tech support for several airlines. Hoping they shut down tbh so I can just chill on call and get paid lol.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Wellp, after two years I'm probably selling my FR-S. Nine hundred a month (:canada:) including loan, insurance, parking, and gas isn't worth it when I can take a bus and a train and walk fifteen minutes for a grand total of half an hour extra and five dollars a day.

Sucks, but apparently car ownership costs in Vancouver got a lot worse since I was last here...

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Kazinsal posted:

Wellp, after two years I'm probably selling my FR-S. Nine hundred a month (:canada:) including loan, insurance, parking, and gas isn't worth it when I can take a bus and a train and walk fifteen minutes for a grand total of half an hour extra and five dollars a day.

Sucks, but apparently car ownership costs in Vancouver got a lot worse since I was last here...

I was looking into buying a used FR-S not long ago until I heard how bad on gas they are :(

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

I was looking into buying a used FR-S not long ago until I heard how bad on gas they are :(

Yeah. 9L/100km on the highway is about what you'll get out of one, and that's sucking down 91.

Thankfully I've only got 14k on the loan and the dealership I bought it from might be interested in buying it for the balance. Technically I'll lose money on it because I put a decent down payment when I bought it but on the other hand... Almost an extra thousand dollars a month? That's almost my rent.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I spent my weekend getting drunk and seeing two sold out Alkaline Trio shows in a row at the Metro, and hanging out in a swanky Downtown Chicago hotel. Also, I ran into Brendan Kelley of Lawrence Arms on the sidewalk and chatted with him, he's super rad.

But now I'm back in the office and everything got hosed up from my taking off for one whole day, which is par for the course.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Ha, my wife is getting ready to buy a 5.0 Genesis if you wanna talk about lovely mileage :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're still badass little cars. If I'd been in a better position financially I'd be driving one of those instead of the Miata.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah. 9L/100km on the highway is about what you'll get out of one, and that's sucking down 91.

Thankfully I've only got 14k on the loan and the dealership I bought it from might be interested in buying it for the balance. Technically I'll lose money on it because I put a decent down payment when I bought it but on the other hand... Almost an extra thousand dollars a month? That's almost my rent.

I'm making payments on a camry right now but the 86 might be my mid-life crisis car in a few years. Sucks to hear about the gas mileage

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't believe that turd has been around for 7 years now and the top model still makes 85ft/lbs at 3000RPM

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Rhyno posted:

Currently sitting at an airport leaving home. Good times! :v:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

They're still badass little cars. If I'd been in a better position financially I'd be driving one of those instead of the Miata.

I'm looking into getting a Miata myself.

A new/pre-owned brz/fr-s is first big boi job with no kids money.

A used Miata is a "first job above the poverty line" money.

Guess which one of those categories I fall into lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

A new/pre-owned brz/fr-s is first big boi job with no kids money.

Hahaha, yeah, that's exactly what led me to buy one. Oops.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meltie posted:

Have you lot seen the tite-reach?

https://i.imgur.com/lFdr93T.gifv

This looks flipping useful.

I saw them on a guy's YT channel. He shilled them for free (as I recall) since they actually worked for him in a difficult situation (Agingwheels, and while he was swapping the engine on his Saab 96)

doogle posted:

I bought one and immediately broke it. The housing is plastic which shattered in the cold.

They make a metal version for real men. The plastic one is the "hobbyist and home" version - clearly not for us.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ha, my wife is getting ready to buy a 5.0 Genesis if you wanna talk about lovely mileage :v:

Worse than the ls430? I average ~14mpg, granted that is 99% city driving in traffic. We drive so little tho it doesn't really matter. I have to fill the tank maybe every 2-3 weeks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

They make a metal version for real men. The plastic one is the "hobbyist and home" version - clearly not for us.

Considering the price of the things they should all be metal.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Is anyone else planning on going to Sandblast Rally in northern SC this year? I made a thread because there are several goons in the Carolinas who also like cars.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879186

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

blindjoe posted:

Cons:

Plus the real answer is minivan if you need the third row.
We did some digging trying to figure out why the Pathfinder was so much cheaper than the Highlander and the transmissions making GBS threads themselves after 15k or less was a common theme. Ultimately took them off the list of possible vehicles completely because of that. We're going to test drive a Ford Flex, even though they're ugly and Ford, and a Minivan or three when the Highlander arrives just to be sure we aren't missing anything.

Car shopping for her has made me start getting the new car itch. Just for fun I checked trade-in on my car $100-700, guess I can't count on that to help much.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slurry_curry posted:

Worse than the ls430? I average ~14mpg, granted that is 99% city driving in traffic. We drive so little tho it doesn't really matter. I have to fill the tank maybe every 2-3 weeks.

About the same really, but she drives about 50 miles a day to work and back so it ain’t cheap putting gas in these things lol. She likes her V8 sedans so what are you gonna do, she makes good money so she can have her gas guzzler :v:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

NitroSpazzz posted:

We did some digging trying to figure out why the Pathfinder was so much cheaper than the Highlander and the transmissions making GBS threads themselves after 15k or less was a common theme. Ultimately took them off the list of possible vehicles completely because of that. We're going to test drive a Ford Flex, even though they're ugly and Ford, and a Minivan or three when the Highlander arrives just to be sure we aren't missing anything.

Car shopping for her has made me start getting the new car itch. Just for fun I checked trade-in on my car $100-700, guess I can't count on that to help much.

That's just so embarrassing 15k miles?

No wonder Nissan is financing anyone with a credit score >100 lol

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

64bit_Dophins posted:

That's just so embarrassing 15k miles?

No wonder Nissan is financing anyone with a credit score >100 lol

It was either consumer reports or a forum where wife found several people who had it go out in the first 5k. So yeah, Nissan completely poo poo the bed on the trans. I didn't realize they were ALL cvt, that explains the weird acceleration I noticed. More noticeable on heavy acceleration but I found it to hang after you let off the gas for what seemed like a full 1-2 seconds. Merged onto the interstate at full throttle and thought the pedal was stuck when I lifted, not a good feeling.

Explains why you can find a 25k mile, three year old one for <$20k fairly easily. Stinks because otherwise it was a nice vehicle, pretty much on par with the Highlander.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Speaking of ambulances, I love POV stuff on YouTube and I follow this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAM-cN-N35LuEl-Z1zW5A_A

Being in Yurop (The Netherlands), he drives one of those Mercedes wagons, and it's interesting seeing what they have to do to calmly but quickly get through traffic. The frustrating thing is listening to the diesel chugging away, or hearing the sounds of a foot pressed to the floor and an automatic that refuses to downshift, but they still manage to get there in a hurry.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

sigtrap posted:

Speaking of ambulances, I love POV stuff on YouTube and I follow this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAM-cN-N35LuEl-Z1zW5A_A

Being in Yurop (The Netherlands), he drives one of those Mercedes wagons, and it's interesting seeing what they have to do to calmly but quickly get through traffic. The frustrating thing is listening to the diesel chugging away, or hearing the sounds of a foot pressed to the floor and an automatic that refuses to downshift, but they still manage to get there in a hurry.

I watch that channel all the time. This is weird.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Considering the price of the things they should all be metal.

Won't argue with you there. That's why I don't have at least the 3/8" one right now.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

NitroSpazzz posted:

It was either consumer reports or a forum where wife found several people who had it go out in the first 5k. So yeah, Nissan completely poo poo the bed on the trans. I didn't realize they were ALL cvt, that explains the weird acceleration I noticed. More noticeable on heavy acceleration but I found it to hang after you let off the gas for what seemed like a full 1-2 seconds. Merged onto the interstate at full throttle and thought the pedal was stuck when I lifted, not a good feeling.

Explains why you can find a 25k mile, three year old one for <$20k fairly easily. Stinks because otherwise it was a nice vehicle, pretty much on par with the Highlander.

I had the same experience with the "hanging" acceleration on my cousin's forester and I hated it so much I don't think I'll ever own a car with a CVT. That and I don't really trust them b/c I've heard they're pretty much impossible to rebuild and it really does just seem unreliable.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

doogle posted:

I bought one and immediately broke it. The housing is plastic which shattered in the cold.

Just looked on the website, and they will replace the DIY (plastic) one *once* under warranty. The metal ones have a lifetime warranty.

edit: wonder how long their patent is good for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We have a CVT in our 2011 Legacy and so far, it's been bulletproof. It did feel totally unnerving coming from a standard auto though as the "hanging" acceleration just doesn't sound/feel right, but even though the motor is sitting @ 5K (or whatever) the speed just keeps climbing, because the ratios keep changing in the transmission to keep the engine at it's best point on the power curve.

Unnerving, but works and now doesn't bother me in the least.

Obviously though, gently caress transmissions made of glass, whether they are a CVT or whatever.

RE: US Government shut-down news, anyone know if the land borders are being effected yet?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 8, 2019