Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

Unironically yes. He wasn’t bad at all. Instead you have absolute shithouses like Lance Stroll kicking out Esteban who could take the fight to Perez. Lmao Sergio is going to absolutely crush him

Just lmao at your blind rage at Stroll making you insane. loving Rio Haryanto would outqualify Whereline, he was absolutely poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Brainwrong posted:

I get the impression that FE is not taken that seriously and that if you're in it, then you're sort of stuck there and that's your peak. I like FE, but even if you have success like JEV, where else are you going to go?

Yeah, that's how I see it. There were drivers going into endurance or GT racing again, beeing highly successfull, and there are the odd Lotterer, Rast or even Hartley (who didn't cut it in F1), but getting out of FE back into F1 seems really hard. It might change as soon as FE is seen as an option to F2 for some teams, but currently, it's where drivers go that didn't make it to/in F1, retired from F1 or didn't want to cross one of the ponds for the open-wheelers there.

It has a lot of talent in it, though, and brings up some internationally unknown talents that never really appeared on the open-wheeler radar ever, like Abt for example.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidpoocati posted:

Just lmao at your blind rage at Stroll making you insane. loving Rio Haryanto would outqualify Whereline, he was absolutely poo poo.

Apart from Haryanto not outqualifying Wehrlein in the races they both raced in (in average), and Wehrlein finishing nearly constantly in front of him, it showed one thing as soon as Ocon got the drive: Haryanto is a good driver.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Haryanto seemed to be a decent driver that just ran out of money. Shame really as he certainly would have been a decent enough replacement in a Toro Rosso when Hartley was called up.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just lmao at the revisionist history this thread is willing to go through to put down my boy Lance

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Stroll driver of the day

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Khablam posted:

Enjoy not posting for a season lmao

I’ll be fine.

In fact, iospace, given your concern about charities I’ll dump €100 into a charity of your choice if RBR makes top 2 end of season, even if I’m probed

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

geonetix posted:

I’ll be fine.

In fact, iospace, given your concern about charities I’ll dump €100 into a charity of your choice if RBR makes top 2 end of season, even if I’m probed

Noted!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i not remember pascal and in my mind he is ericcson? in what team he drove in 2018?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

DoctorGonzo posted:

i not remember pascal and in my mind he is ericcson? in what team he drove in 2018?

He didn't op. He was in dtm.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
He was Ericsson's teammate before Nostro Charles.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Wirth1000 posted:

Unironically yes. He wasn’t bad at all. Instead you have absolute shithouses like Lance Stroll kicking out Esteban who could take the fight to Perez. Lmao Sergio is going to absolutely crush him

Almost thought you meant Esteban Gutierrez and had completely gone insane

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Guiterrez was genuinely so loving awful

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Probably the least daring toxx on this page. Sad.

Also, this guy
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/arrivabene-man-few-friends-ferrari
says Arrivabene ran the team with a culture of intimidation and fear, by being dismissive aggressive and offensive using one-dimensional thinking. In Italian terms, "passion"

I’ll donate $10 to charity for every race that Lewis doesn’t win. Bring it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’ll donate $10 to charity for every race that Lewis doesn’t win. Bring it

:getin:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

:toxx: I will pick the charities if McLaren gets a podium

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I am proud to announce my new non profit charity: “The Tyre Foundation”

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

DoctorGonzo posted:

Pascal drove for Manor in 2016, then Sauber in 2017. I really miss Manor.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Kimoa Kid posted:

:toxx: I will pick the charities if McLaren gets a podium

Only if you also donate $10

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidpoocati posted:

I am proud to announce my new non profit charity: “The Tyre Foundation”

Not the "Corolla GearBox Fund"?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Red Bull already expecting engine penalties for 2019

Let the engine kick, baby!!!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I can't state enough just how funny it is that Red Bull is hosed already. Couldn't have happened to a nicer team ahahaha.

Cue 8 months of Horner whining and saying its everyone elses fault and Marko threatening to quit to the shock and horror of noone at all, followed by an ignominious exit from the sport in 2 years taking maxs career with it.

:byewhore:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

They picked up talks with DTM after saying they are no longer interested in it (I know, I know, I keep talking about DTM, but it's just something I follow closely), plus they are talking to Formula E.

With WEC introducing the Hypercar class, they already confirmed that they are planning to run the Valkyrie there.

If Honda finally gets them to leave F1, I think not many will miss their constant bickering. I'm often not sure what I dislike more...Ferrari's constant "we'll leave if we don't get what we want" or Red Bull's "we would win everything, but the concord agreement is holding us back, because we can't get a decent engine".

Red Bull is such a massive operation, they could have spent some money to get Mecachrome (who IIRC develops engines for Aston Martin now, or am I imagining things?) to get into engine development for 2021. IIRC, Aston Martin was present at the 2021 meetings (together with Porsche, VW etc.), and I haven't followed what came of this, so maybe they are developing an engine behind the scenes.

What I want to say, is: Red Bull should either shut up and drive in F1, piss off to all the other racing series they are contacting left and right currently, or bring in their own engine for 2021.

But starting to doubt the next engine partner even before the first winter tests is so loving awful....show some good manners, man....

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BTW: some people are talking about a big aero loophole in the 2019 regulations, similar to what led to the double diffusor (and that performance margin).

Then again, other people who might be ex-engineers or current engineers of F1 teams say that's bullshit, and what people are talking about is what we saw on the McLaren rear wing last year, where they used the regulations to create a tiny second wing where the rear wing support bulges over the tyres. With the new regulations and wider rear wings, this new wing area is increased, but apparently all of the teams picked up on that and thus all of them will bring "curled rear wing supports" to barcelona.

e: (another loophole might regard the new regulations for the front wing endplates, which might still allow to compensate the pressure inside the wing area to the outside, something the regulations wanted to permit)

What's gonna be interesting is if there is any truth to the magical new cooling system in the Ferrari. I can only assume it's an automatic function that empties the water bottle on Vettel when he runs into the barricade in Hockenheim, so he won't bash the 35.000 $ steering wheel again.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Why don't the FIA implement sensors to check for airflow in certain places instead of adding rules to the front wing that may or may not be circumvented?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Imo, it would take away the fun of F1 and teams finding the loopholes (like the double dif, which was superb)

If they want the same airflow on each team, bring on the same chassis for each time, like in Indycar etc., but then it wouldn't be F1.

Also: where do you check the airflow? The idea of the closed endplates was that the front wing is no longer able to fix the outwash of the front tyres, because as soon as the front wing runs into dirty air, it no longer fixes said outwash. If it can't fix it to begin with, the cars aero performance won't drop when it is in dirty air. So you'd have to stick a sensor somewhere around the wheel....nah.

FIA needs to get their poo poo together in regard to the regulations. See: barge boards in the pre-2015 season (because FIA never thought teams would increase the wheelbase so much that suddenly an area opened up which was not regulated in regard to aero pieces) or the T-wings 2017 and 2018 (because FIA can't count).

I actually enjoy this. FIA is like the bad bad physics god who says "you shall not do this" and the team engineers are humans who say "gently caress you, I found a workaround".

Kill this off, and it no longer is F1, imo.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I mean, like: "you shall not burn more than 100kg of fuel per hour"

"Yeah, let's burn some oil!!!! Let's PARTY!!!!"

FIA: "Oh....right....yeah......you shall not burn more than 7 litres of oil per hour"

"Yeah, yeah....let's burn some "DRS hydraulic fluid!!!! Let's PARTY!!!!"

FIA: "gently caress you all!!!!"

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the honda engine is good and gives them a party mode or it loving sucks and they will need 5 engines this season. Both scenerios are ok to me.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DoctorGonzo posted:

So the honda engine is good and gives them a party mode or it loving sucks and they will need 5 engines this season. Both scenerios are ok to me.

:same:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Aston Martin's engines are made by Cosworth, tuo

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Aston Martin's engines are made by Cosworth, tuo

Ah, thank you, I knew it was someone who used to be in F1.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

1500quidpoocati posted:

Just lmao at the revisionist history this thread is willing to go through to put down my boy Lance
Stroll is just a second rate Pasta Maldonado.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Pablo Bluth posted:

Stroll is just a second rate Pasta Maldonado.

Stroll combined with Palmer would be a first rate Maldonado. Decently fast, but rather crashy

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Which out of Palmer and Stroll is purportedly the decently fast one?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Stroll

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You Am I posted:

Not the "Corolla GearBox Fund"?

My Corolla gearbox is in superb condition thanks

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

There's a reason why Stroll contains lol and Palmer contains.......lame...... *padshisownshoulder

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Strowns

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

No need to be so bitter friend. Charles TheClerc is gonna win so much next year.