Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I actually had to make sure my roommate kept elective mode OFF because he'll just take, like, 6 movement skills and cause us to never, ever clear anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Snacksmaniac posted:

D3 fixes a lot of complaints you have but building characters is kind of easy and no risk aside from gear.
I like it for those reasons but I also got the whole thing with xpac for 23.

You lucky people who got to skip the Jay Wilson era.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Fuzz posted:

You can't use a controller on PC, which is a pity since the game is so much more fun with a controller.

Depends on your class I think. WW Barb is 100% controller-friendly. Wizard / WD is better with a mouse, as most of their builds have abilities where you want more control over where they're splashed on the screen. WoL SWK monk is somewhere in the middle... clicking where the nuke goes off is maybe a bit more efficient and tactical for maybe AoE'ing things around a corner you can't see, but it doesn't matter because everything dies regardless with gamepad button mashing.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

omg chael crash posted:

I actually had to make sure my roommate kept elective mode OFF because he'll just take, like, 6 movement skills and cause us to never, ever clear anything

I dont know how someone can think that is a good way of doing things. But it sounds funny regardless

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Mayveena posted:

I almost failed college because of D2 so I had to skip 3 for a while.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Mindblast posted:

I dont know how someone can think that is a good way of doing things. But it sounds funny regardless

He also never, EVER spends skill/attribute points in basically any game with them. Literally -- not figuratively. I'm not kidding. I love him to death but man I hate playing video games with him. He played through(all the way to level cap) DC Universe Online with the basic attack you start with. Didn't even know there were other skills?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Mayveena posted:

I ran through the story five years ago and barely touched it after. Was not impressed. Picked it up again recently after tossing WoW over the side and it felt like a completely different game. Now I've got my friends into it and we are having a shitload of fun just messing around like the idiots we are. D3 is good.

Dameius posted:

Hearing the sfx is pretty nostalgic inducing though.

I think Diablo, and by extension D2, may have the best sound design of any game I've ever played. Playing the anno event just makes me want that music in the game all the time. Too many anodyne horns & strings in the D3 score and not enough distortion pedals and bongos.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

omg chael crash posted:

He also never, EVER spends skill/attribute points in basically any game with them. Literally -- not figuratively. I'm not kidding. I love him to death but man I hate playing video games with him. He played through(all the way to level cap) DC Universe Online with the basic attack you start with. Didn't even know there were other skills?

Do you tie his shoes and pour his milk over the cereal so he doesn't spill any?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

omg chael crash posted:

This all sounds like stuff my sons did when they were five before I bothered explaining game mechanics to them. Except, they'd figure stuff out in a couple days and all the sudden I'm the one asking 'how the hell you do that'.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

5er posted:

This all sounds like stuff my sons did when they were five before I bothered explaining game mechanics to them. Except, they'd figure stuff out in a couple days and all the sudden I'm the one asking 'how the hell you do that'.

It's not that he doesn't understand these concepts -- that would be fine and teachable. He just doesn't care about spending points/learning new moves. He also never reads/watches/reviews in game tutorials.

My best friend is an idiot and a psychopath, AMA

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
I just reinstalled this and have completely forgotten everything about how this all works

here's my main
https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Adama-1649/hero/107601910

is there anything more I should be doing with the character? I was just going to start a seasonal and pick at this guy a bit, but not sure what's good anymore or worth doing at that level

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’d recommend fooling around on your dude for another week to refamiliarize yourself then jump in when the season rolls over next week and you will have people to play with.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Just a heads up, Wirt's leg still doesn't give you the map of the stars, so it's impossible to get the Golden Calf pet. Apparently Blizzard has been aware of the bug since last year and never fixed it, so WHELP.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
They hotfixed it last year then I guess never actually rolled that in to the base content and managed to roll back the hotfix during some other update in between so they need to hotfix it again :confuoot:

Don't forget to smash your mail or let it expire now that the season has ended.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Swilo posted:

They hotfixed it last year then I guess never actually rolled that in to the base content and managed to roll back the hotfix during some other update in between so they need to hotfix it again :confuoot:

Don't forget to smash your mail or let it expire now that the season has ended.

I've come to the conclusion the correct way to play is to pretend non-seasonal doesn't exist

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I don't even bother clearing characters before rebirths anymore, no point in playing non-seasonal really.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Tahirovic posted:

I don't even bother clearing characters before rebirths anymore, no point in playing non-seasonal really.

Only reason I'm doing it on the Switch is because it's probably going to be my go-to public transit game for a very indefinite amount of time.

I revisited the bliz forums to see if there was any update on the fix for the blue Wirt's Leg / no Map of Stars issue, and an employee responded yesterday that they've 'spotted the issue' and will roll out a hotfix that doesn't require a patch download 'soon, no promises lol'.

Meanwhile people are in the dominant thread about the issue, bitching for reparations for the "millions" they've lost on crafting & breaking down blue Wirt's Legs, and insipidly firing back at people saying 'a few million really isn't that much,' with, 'sorry that I have a job LOSER'. What an amazing time to be alive.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tahirovic posted:

Yeah, I went in and claimed all my seasonal crap, then was cleaning up my stash when I realized... why bother? Ended up salvaging everything but set crap just to play around with builds and then called it a day.

When does season 16 start?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I save spare Gifts and nice ancient rolls.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I've never played between seasons on the same system (3 separate seasons on Xbox, PC, PS4 like a dummy), do you have access to anything in your stash when a new season starts?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I've never played between seasons on the same system (3 separate seasons on Xbox, PC, PS4 like a dummy), do you have access to anything in your stash when a new season starts?

No

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Cleaning up after season finish got a shitload less tedious after they converted crafting materials into the hosed up version of currency they are now.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Next week, Friday the 18th, at 8pm ET.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never bother with inventory management at the end of each season anymore because I only play seasons.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This season none of my gear was all that great, I have max gems for all gem drops, and already have hubdreds of keys so I may just poach my gifts to stash in case I want to gently caress around with new builds and then mass salvage the rest. I used to try and mix/match end gear from other seasons to get perfect sets but :effort:.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, I went in and claimed all my seasonal crap, then was cleaning up my stash when I realized... why bother? Ended up salvaging everything but set crap just to play around with builds and then called it a day.

why bother?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
you better believe I'm saving my primal cluckeye

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I play around a bit once patch drops and before season starts so I keep full sets for each class and most supporting weapons, jewelry and offset items. I save every primal in a tab of shame (3 of them are items people use).

It takes very little time to do and if I feel like Diablo I’m off season I can log in, gear up and go kill things.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

It's like the video game equivalent of not leaving dirty laundry on the floor until laundry day. It's a chore I feel a little gratified for to knock out, in a way.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
i delete my characters after every season to hide my shame

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Rufio posted:

I go through and keep my coolest looking transmog character and trash the rest.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
That guy with the friend who doesn't use skill points reminds me of the old shitshow of starting a new game with my buddies in D2. Not as bad, but we'd run out with new characters and my buddies would head back to town after hitting level 3 or 4 and spend ages optimizing their gear and skills rather than just staying out and killing things.

I can understand that not waiting for other players can be lovely, but optimizing gear that early in D2 is a complete and utter waste of time.

I should mention that they are all the competitive type, and they were absolutely doing it so that they could always be the hardest hitter at any given time.

It backfired when other players just kept playing and outleveled them while also finding better gear.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mr Scumbag posted:

That guy with the friend who doesn't use skill points reminds me of the old shitshow of starting a new game with my buddies in D2. Not as bad, but we'd run out with new characters and my buddies would head back to town after hitting level 3 or 4 and spend ages optimizing their gear and skills rather than just staying out and killing things.

I can understand that not waiting for other players can be lovely, but optimizing gear that early in D2 is a complete and utter waste of time.

I should mention that they are all the competitive type, and they were absolutely doing it so that they could always be the hardest hitter at any given time.

It backfired when other players just kept playing and outleveled them while also finding better gear.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who always, always, ALWAYS had to be the hardest hitter and have the most optimized build in the game, no matter what we were playing. He even does it now, with Destiny 2--and he hasn't played that in a while, so I'm a couple hundred light levels ahead of him, and I can feel the pain in his voice whenever he sees the guns and armor and accessories I've earned.

He did it in Diablo III though, too--which was hilarious to me. I tried to explain that spending money at the vendors was a waste of time and he ignored me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rufio posted:

Every season for me.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm a weirdo and play mostly nonseason, chasing the impossible dream of decking someone out in full primals. I am looking forward to this season tho, IK is such a great starter set.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I play seasons then keep the items that are better than what I currently have in on season to slowly build that collection.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Reminds me of a friend of mine who always, always, ALWAYS had to be the hardest hitter and have the most optimized build in the game, no matter what we were playing. He even does it now, with Destiny 2--and he hasn't played that in a while, so I'm a couple hundred light levels ahead of him, and I can feel the pain in his voice whenever he sees the guns and armor and accessories I've earned.

He did it in Diablo III though, too--which was hilarious to me. I tried to explain that spending money at the vendors was a waste of time and he ignored me.

Friends like these are the natural extension of that kid on the playground who, when you were playing superheroes and deciding what your powers were going to be, said he had the powers of all the other superheroes combined and was faster and stronger and also had no weaknesses. I hated that kid back then, and I still hate them today.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Fellow team Gatto and Team Kassandra member here, you got good taste, bud.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Nothing will top the primal thorns armor I got when trying to gamble for chest armor for my thorns crusader.
Now give me a primal pig sticker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Pigsticker gets a lot less benefit for being primal since the damage is irrelevant right? Also is that still better than Hack? Was reading they redid how it worked so Hack was more competitive.