Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

NitroSpazzz posted:

It was either consumer reports or a forum where wife found several people who had it go out in the first 5k. So yeah, Nissan completely poo poo the bed on the trans. I didn't realize they were ALL cvt, that explains the weird acceleration I noticed. More noticeable on heavy acceleration but I found it to hang after you let off the gas for what seemed like a full 1-2 seconds. Merged onto the interstate at full throttle and thought the pedal was stuck when I lifted, not a good feeling.

Explains why you can find a 25k mile, three year old one for <$20k fairly easily. Stinks because otherwise it was a nice vehicle, pretty much on par with the Highlander.

Unless an rx350 is big enough(I assume its not), just get a highlander. The 2GR motors are bulletproof. I was looking at them, but they sit a bit too high for my wife to comfortable get the car seat in and out of, so we are going with a rx350.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

About the same really, but she drives about 50 miles a day to work and back so it ain’t cheap putting gas in these things lol. She likes her V8 sedans so what are you gonna do, she makes good money so she can have her gas guzzler :v:

I still love my ls430, but I have a feeling it might be going away soon. My wife wants a suv, so I am picking up a 2007-2009 rx350 which will be the primary kid hauler. We barely drive, so we really don't need 2 big comfy luxury cars, so I am probably going to swap it for something a bit more fun that will pretty much be my car.

It seems very un-AI, and young me would hate me for even considering it, but I kinda want a convertible e46 m3, and worse of all, with the SMG transmission. Since I got rid of my miata, I kinda miss having a convertible for the summer, and my wife loved the convertible part of it, but hated getting in and out of it. I don't plan on tracking it or anything like that, so it would stay pretty much stock. And its new/safe enough with a backseat, so I can haul the kid around if needed. Having the SMG would make it more pleasant to drive in the horrible traffic that is pretty much 24x7 in seattle now and still be enough fun on backroads. I need to do more research about the failure methods, but I feel like its something I can deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

slidebite posted:

RE: US Government shut-down news, anyone know if the land borders are being effected yet?

In what sense?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not showing up for work, horrendous lineups or outright closures... that kind of thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm looking into getting a Miata myself.

A new/pre-owned brz/fr-s is first big boi job with no kids money.

A used Miata is a "first job above the poverty line" money.

Guess which one of those categories I fall into lol

I got the NC for a great price (I think Leica linked the one I eventually bought) but I also had a small inheritance to put towards it. If everything pans out for 2019 I'm entertaining a new car after we remodel the kitchen.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

slidebite posted:

Not showing up for work, horrendous lineups or outright closures... that kind of thing.

All four in the lower mainland are still open and have the standard wait times heading into the US right now. I think they've funded Homeland Security enough to keep CBP open. No idea if they're getting paid though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I forgot you can check that online, looked at the one closest to me and it seems much slower than normal with only 1 lane open.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

thanks CenturyLink

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dagen H posted:

thanks CenturyLink

That's good for dialup. (And yes, I recognize that it's about 7x a good dialup d/l speed)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

That's good for dialup. (And yes, I recognize that it's about 7x a good dialup d/l speed)

Not so good for 6Mbps

Unfortunately this is just the regularly scheduled CenturyLink outage.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

T-Square posted:

I spent my weekend getting drunk and seeing two sold out Alkaline Trio shows in a row at the Metro, and hanging out in a swanky Downtown Chicago hotel. Also, I ran into Brendan Kelley of Lawrence Arms on the sidewalk and chatted with him, he's super rad.

This rules. Wearing my trio shirt today actually.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dagen H posted:

thanks CenturyLink

I had Frontier years ago and it was total poo poo. Nice to see that has changed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

I had Frontier years ago and it was total poo poo. Nice to see that has changed.

My takeaway: a 200 megabit pipe is faster than 99% of the US.

:ughh:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Dagen H posted:

thanks CenturyLink

Hey, welcome to my Cox plan for like the last two months, off-and-on.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Wait you're off and on the Cox again!!?! I'm so confused! :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I want to read the terms of service.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Dagen H posted:

I pledge allegiance to the flag...

Edit: I apologize for my crappy humor. Long day, I'm sitting in DTW waiting on a connection and just had a huge better with a fairly tasty burger. I'm feeling a little punchy, apparently

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 8, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

slurry_curry posted:

It seems very un-AI, and young me would hate me for even considering it, but I kinda want a convertible e46 m3, and worse of all, with the SMG transmission. Since I got rid of my miata, I kinda miss having a convertible for the summer, and my wife loved the convertible part of it, but hated getting in and out of it. I don't plan on tracking it or anything like that, so it would stay pretty much stock. And its new/safe enough with a backseat, so I can haul the kid around if needed. Having the SMG would make it more pleasant to drive in the horrible traffic that is pretty much 24x7 in seattle now and still be enough fun on backroads. I need to do more research about the failure methods, but I feel like its something I can deal with.

BMW thread is a better place to ask but I have heard anecdotally that the SMG is very unpleasant to drive in traffic in automatic mode.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Dagen H posted:

"Speed is not guaranteed, advertised speed is the upper limit"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, Cox loving sucks. But CenturyLink manages to be almost universally worse.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

It was either consumer reports or a forum where wife found several people who had it go out in the first 5k. So yeah, Nissan completely poo poo the bed on the trans. I didn't realize they were ALL cvt, that explains the weird acceleration I noticed. More noticeable on heavy acceleration but I found it to hang after you let off the gas for what seemed like a full 1-2 seconds. Merged onto the interstate at full throttle and thought the pedal was stuck when I lifted, not a good feeling.

Explains why you can find a 25k mile, three year old one for <$20k fairly easily. Stinks because otherwise it was a nice vehicle, pretty much on par with the Highlander.

The first iteration of the transmission had a divide by zero/over writing problem. If you were going under 40 km/hr, and had a throttle position of exactly 10%, it would jump back and forth between the two bands (there are two CVTs, a low range and a high) every scan. And if that happened once, that transmission was hosed. They said it would be fine, but it wasn't.

So my first one did the "judder", and 1k km later it stopped moving. The replacement juddered as soon as I got it back, and they said they forgot to update the programming. The third one eventually died even though they updated it.

If they actually reviewed their control code before shipping it, it would have been a good car. The hang and whatever didn't happen intially when I test drove the car, because it was on the old transmission programming. It acted really nice. Now it immediately kicks to lowest revs no matter what, and then needs to adjust the bands when you need to accelerate again.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slurry_curry posted:

I still love my ls430, but I have a feeling it might be going away soon. My wife wants a suv, so I am picking up a 2007-2009 rx350 which will be the primary kid hauler. We barely drive, so we really don't need 2 big comfy luxury cars, so I am probably going to swap it for something a bit more fun that will pretty much be my car.

She ended up getting an LS460 today, glad she decided on another Lexus :)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

64bit_Dophins posted:

I had the same experience with the "hanging" acceleration on my cousin's forester and I hated it so much I don't think I'll ever own a car with a CVT. That and I don't really trust them b/c I've heard they're pretty much impossible to rebuild and it really does just seem unreliable.
Haven't felt the same thing with the fiancee's Outback. It's a CVT, but it does fake gearing too.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

slurry_curry posted:

Dude just get one. If the weather where you live is conducive to a convertible get one and enjoy it. I would tell you to instead go for the E93 because as a convertible it’s better in every measurable way. You would also be shocked at the prices they are trading hands at these days.

The DCT makes the SMG look positively archaic and bad.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

Haven't felt the same thing with the fiancee's Outback. It's a CVT, but it does fake gearing too.

I'll presume a latter year model as the programming is better in latter versions. Subaru has curently three distinct CVT hardware versions and I think now 4 program versions for CVT control. Basically the more powerful the car is, the better Subaru CVT's behave.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

ilkhan posted:

IIRC the model my cousin has only does the fake gearing in sport mode. I tried it both ways but like so many other unexceptional daily driver cars it just made me wish I were driving my 01 Accord lol

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, you ever eat something and, like, 30 minutes later you're sitting there going, "It is a perfect 50/50 split as to whether this passes or I spend the next three days recovering from food poisioning?"

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
^^ incubation times for the common food borne illnesses start around 24 hours, so if it already feels a lil off, either the type of food disagrees with you or you are in for an absolute motherfucker of a week.

For everyone's future reference, if you take your dog to the vet and they say it has sarcoptic mange, it has Scabies. And so does your whole family, now.

Most expensive dumpster puppy on the drat planet.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 9, 2019

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I absolutely refuse to buy anything with a cvt specifically because they all either seem to be made of glass or do the fake gearing thing poorly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

Hey I didn't put that there.

Edit : you ever take such an epic dump that you regret not weighing yourself before and after?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 9, 2019

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

BMW thread is a better place to ask but I have heard anecdotally that the SMG is very unpleasant to drive in traffic in automatic mode.

I have heard that, tho having to manually shift it is still better in traffic than having to use a clutch. If I was going to commute in it I would be more concerned, but thankfully that's not the case. Either way, I probably shouldn't be buying myself a car until our remodel is finished, so I have another 4ish months till I should even really think about it.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

She ended up getting an LS460 today, glad she decided on another Lexus :)

Nice! I kinda wanted a ls460 when I got my ls430, but they were a bit out of my price range at the time. How is it to drive?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Dude just get one. If the weather where you live is conducive to a convertible get one and enjoy it. I would tell you to instead go for the E93 because as a convertible it’s better in every measurable way. You would also be shocked at the prices they are trading hands at these days.

The DCT makes the SMG look positively archaic and bad.

I live in Seattle, so it's conducive to having a convertible for about a month and a half a year. But that short window is amazing for it. I wish I liked the look of the e93 more, especially for the hardtop convertible instead of the cloth e46 one, but I am not a fan of it. At least it seems like there are a lot of e46s for sale with the removable hardtop around here, so that makes it much more useable in the winter. And the v8 is probably more power than I can be trusted with ...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Queen Combat posted:

Hey, you ever eat something and, like, 30 minutes later you're sitting there going, "It is a perfect 50/50 split as to whether this passes or I spend the next three days recovering from food poisioning?"

The last time (and hopefully last) I got food poisoning I ended up in the hospital severely dehydrated, and sucked down a couple bags of IV. The doctor told me the next time I feel like I might be getting it again to just start chugging water as much as you can until it passes. Not sure if it will prevent it from happening but it will help.

slurry_curry posted:

Nice! I kinda wanted a ls460 when I got my ls430, but they were a bit out of my price range at the time. How is it to drive?

Haven't driven it yet, but my wife said it blew away the Genesis she was considering so she nabbed it. There weren't many 460's in our price range so this one turned out to be a great deal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Geoj posted:

Hey, it takes 300/300 to be faster than 99% of Canada

Considering something shocking like 20% of the country is still on dialup, that's not surprising.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'll presume a latter year model as the programming is better in latter versions. Subaru has curently three distinct CVT hardware versions and I think now 4 program versions for CVT control. Basically the more powerful the car is, the better Subaru CVT's behave.
2018, but only the 4 banger.

Honestly, I don't have any complaints about the car... except the 4 banger is still a 4 banger. Coming from a Coyote V8 and a 3.5 Twin Turbo ecoboost, its loving slow. Stick a Tesla P series powertrain underneath and I'd love that thing though. Hope the Y is something similar to the Outback or the Crosstrek. It'd be great.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh god a NA 4 banger CVT Subaru. gently caress that nope

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

slurry_curry posted:

Get an e93 instead. You can get one with an N54 and a better automatic.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Looks like the Forte's washer fluid reservoir is cracked, it's located right where the front bumper was damaged and isn't holding fluid. Waiting to hear back from my insurance adjuster. :cripes:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sounds like the body shop did a bang-up job repairing your car.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

For everyone's future reference, if you take your dog to the vet and they say it has sarcoptic mange, it has Scabies. And so does your whole family, now.

Sounds fun... I had a dog that had demodectic mange, but that was easily controllable, she just smelled like a bag of death for the first month and a half because of 3 vet misdiagnosis and finally a proper one from a vet that was a bigger bag of assholes than what my dog smelled like. She wanted me to take her to a dermatologist and have all sorts of tests done and such, when I inquired about how much it would cost she said about 30k-40k over the lifetime of the animal when I asked her what her quality of life would be, she said terrible. So I said, okay, then I'll elect to have her put down since this is just going to be a poo poo show for her and would be the more humane thing to do. The vet then screamed in my face and berated me for 1 minute about how terrible a pet owner I was and how dare I think about putting my dog down, when I was walking out to take her to another vet to have her put down, because of the previous conversation she said quickly "Ivomec. Giver her Ivomec and that should take care of her." I found it at a local feed store for $25 and the bottle lasted the lifetime of the dog. Shittiest vet I've ever used in my life, fortunately, she's out of business, I can only guess why...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

keykey posted:

Sounds fun... I had a dog that had demodectic mange, but that was easily controllable, she just smelled like a bag of death for the first month and a half because of 3 vet misdiagnosis and finally a proper one from a vet that was a bigger bag of assholes than what my dog smelled like. She wanted me to take her to a dermatologist and have all sorts of tests done and such, when I inquired about how much it would cost she said about 30k-40k over the lifetime of the animal when I asked her what her quality of life would be, she said terrible. So I said, okay, then I'll elect to have her put down since this is just going to be a poo poo show for her and would be the more humane thing to do. The vet then screamed in my face and berated me for 1 minute about how terrible a pet owner I was and how dare I think about putting my dog down, when I was walking out to take her to another vet to have her put down, because of the previous conversation she said quickly "Ivomec. Giver her Ivomec and that should take care of her." I found it at a local feed store for $25 and the bottle lasted the lifetime of the dog. Shittiest vet I've ever used in my life, fortunately, she's out of business, I can only guess why...

Jesus Christ. My last vet experience (and bill) is the reason I don't have cats anymore. It's a racket and you don't know who to trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Wrar posted:

Get an e93 instead. You can get one with an N54 and a better automatic.

Its probably unfounded, but I am still kind of scared of turbo'd BMWs. I know the early 335i's had HPFP issues, is there a specific year that they 100% fixed that issue? I still think the e46 looks better than the e9x, but the hardtop convertible does make it tempting. Not to mention that I could probably find a e93 with less miles/cheaper than a e46 m3 vert. I wonder if the e93 328i is decent enough, or if its just underpowered. Either way, I have plenty of time to do research.