Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Probably matters more which specific wheels it has on it, and the run flats compound that. The msport F10 wheels for example are somewhat notorious for bending if they still have the run flats on them from potholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

People talk about an “exploding” sound on the e9x over potholes, which, yeah, I imagined was the suspension bottoming out.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Man I literally just missed out on the perfect 328xi, was that you, you bastard, give me my car

God I wish. I'm still driving around in a lovely rental Impala that gets like 18mpg combined if I baby it and that is quite possibly the most soulless car I've ever driven. But the dash trim glows blue so there's that.

There's a 2013 335xi coupe that's like five states over that I'm probably going to check out next week, but the owner has a serious case of "I know what I have!" and his car that's been on craigslist for the better part of the year is several thousand dollars outside of the range of sanity.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Well good luck. I started looking at dealers in the South, because I love long drives and excruciating pain. They’re also all priced way out of proportion. No, your 109k mile BMW that hasn’t had any of the important work (HPFP...) done isn’t worth eleven thousand dollars, even - especially - in F150 land.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
What range should I expect to pay to respray my roof and trunk lid on my 98 540i? Clear coat has failed. Finally got my engine swap done and various other crap taken care of (no warning lights for now). Coming into the finish line after 2 years off the road and want her to look a little pretty.

Wild rear end guesses encouraged. I am about 60 miles south of Memphis.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

EvellSnoats posted:

Wild rear end guesses encouraged. I am about 60 miles south of Memphis.

Buy an M3

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Presented without comment.

https://www.motor1.com/news/299519/brand-new-bmws-found-bulgaria/

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Pilot Sport 4S forever and ever amen.

Amen. Brand new set put on the E46 today, replacing my old ragged Pilot Super Sports. Feels great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Well yesterday it was nice and warm so I messed around with the headlights on the M5 and Replaced the accessory belts and the fan and fan clutch as well. Then when I took it out for a test drive I hit a pothole and bent the gently caress out of the right front wheel. :suicide:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Time to upgrade to lightweight wheels!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nah I like the way the style 65s look

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Going to lightweight wheels after bending a factory wheel on a pothole is maybe a little counterproductive, don't you think? :thunk:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
No because you can now dodge potholes that much better

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

BraveUlysses posted:

No because you can now dodge potholes that much better

:hmmyes:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Dented my trunk in a parking lot incident FUN FACTS they didn’t make very many e46s in Light Gelb much less droptops, I may just end up going carbon fiber out of market availability

Also in addition to whatever this intake leak is my top no longer goes down, looks like I’m gonna do some continuity testing now and see if it’s a sensor or motor; I got it 95% closed and then it got tired and pooped out on me, so all I had to do was use a hex wrench to latch it shut.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

most body panels are sold body-in-white though?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

most body panels are sold body-in-white though?

Oh yeah, if you’re buying unsprayed (I think is what you mean?) I’m crossing my fingers for a lucky light gelb vert part-out though; I could just buy someone’s black m3 vert trunk off their wreck...

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Wow, now I know why every e46 partout thread has people asking for the driver’s side window switches

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Waffle House posted:

Wow, now I know why every e46 partout thread has people asking for the driver’s side window switches

They're only like $50 new?

I mean I know that's kinda :eyepop: for some dumb switches, but who is waiting around for a used part while their windows don't work over $50?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
well, when you are used to the window not working anyway...........

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Are the sedan windows more prone to issues than the coupes? I had one of my switches crap out, but other than that all my windows still work fine at 115k miles on my '04, including my moonroof even.

And now I've of course jinxed myself.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6zRNxhzvJM

lol at him legit thinking the quasi M version of the 2 series is a high-bred. Bodes well for the direction BMW’s going

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Guinness posted:

Are the sedan windows more prone to issues than the coupes? I had one of my switches crap out, but other than that all my windows still work fine at 115k miles on my '04, including my moonroof even.

And now I've of course jinxed myself.

I've always kind of suspected that sedans have it way worse for window problems than coupes. I put approximately 200k miles on two different 330Cis over the course of like 7 years and never had a single window regulator fail or switch go bad. I actually can't recall anything on the interior ever breaking, other than the liner failing on the pillars on both cars because of course.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Going back to something I asked here a few weeks back, I'm coming to the realization a 2 series/M2 is a bad idea if I need to fit a car seat. How are modernish (say, 2015ish) 3 series as daily drivers? I'm looking for something that has a stick, rwd, and at least Bluetooth, preferably car play. Are E90 335is getting a bit long in the tooth at this point?

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
today sucks. I hate today.

left it stored with a friend, who had permission to drive it. I am 12,000 miles away at the moment

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's poo poo. Sorry. :(

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

snugglz posted:

left it stored with a friend, who had permission to drive it. I am 12,000 miles away at the moment

Nice looking compact, that sucks! Plans to fix it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Going back to something I asked here a few weeks back, I'm coming to the realization a 2 series/M2 is a bad idea if I need to fit a car seat. How are modernish (say, 2015ish) 3 series as daily drivers? I'm looking for something that has a stick, rwd, and at least Bluetooth, preferably car play. Are E90 335is getting a bit long in the tooth at this point?

imo only e9x worth getting is an M3

f30s can be found in estoril blue so i think you know the answer on that :madmax:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Residency Evil posted:

My man, have you considered the E90 M3? Because you are describing the need for an E90 M3. I would say that the E90 335 models are pretty ragged out at this point. Cleaner ones won't really make sense to buy because the price will be high comparitively. I think the F30 3 series with the I6 turbo motors are supposed to be pretty robust. The 4 cyl turbos are grenading big time though. I don't remember the exact failures but it is not ideal.

I am 100 serious about finding an E90 M3 though. Go drive one and it is all you will think about.

snugglz posted:

That is a cool looking Ti (minus the damage). Is that thing swapped?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I've taken my m2 into the shop a few times now for rattling. First it was the child lock seat cover rattling in the back. Second was inside the passenger door, the cables were rattling against the door panel. Lastly there was something under the passenger seat that needed dampening foam added. The last one was tricky because it was so loud whenever I went over bumpy roads, but I couldn't pinpoint where it was, and when the tech road along with me we couldn't make it make the noise. I finally had him drive it without me and they were able to figure it out.

Luckily that was all of the fixes I needed. He showed me a bulletin in their system where I guess some customers have the passenger a pillar making a cracking noise where they literally have to snip some of the metal off because it overlaps. I really really didn't want to go down that route.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
And an e90 M3 can fit car-seats just fine:

Re rear-facing, IIRC, I had a chicco keyfit and had to inch the seat up very slightly. e: I'm 5'11"

gvibes fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 9, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

gvibes posted:

And an e90 M3 can fit car-seats just fine:

Re rear-facing, IIRC, I had a chicco keyfit and had to inch the seat up very slightly

He's about to have an infant in a rear-facing seat; you may have blocked this out, but try to think back to those terrible days.

Edit: I mean it's all well & good once they're big enough to turn around (and if you have 1 or 2 this is also massively simplified - I'm screwed for anything that's 2+2 now but I have made my own bed) but unless you're 5'2" and don't mind your knees in the dash you're gonna have a Bad Time with most anything that has a wheelbase under 110" or so.

This is a few years old but they learn to take up an incredible amount of space quickly:

Tremek fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 9, 2019

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Tremek posted:

He's about to have an infant in a rear-facing seat; you may have blocked this out, but try to think back to those terrible days.
That's why I added the Chicco Keyfit piece (it's a rear-facing infant seat).

And I have two month old twins, so I am not blocking out anything. Note: it is somewhat difficult to find a car that can fit five car seats in a useable way.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Tremek posted:

They work too. I have posted about it ITT. I have three small ones, I can't fit all three kids and car seats in the back but both rear and front facing seats fit easy and the LATCH works as needed.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

gvibes posted:

That's why I added the Chicco Keyfit piece (it's a rear-facing infant seat).

And I have two month old twins, so I am not blocking out anything. Note: it is somewhat difficult to find a car that can fit five car seats in a useable way.

You're at +5? Good god man. Good luck. Get a minivan.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

They work too. I have posted about it ITT. I have three small ones, I can't fit all three kids and car seats in the back but both rear and front facing seats fit easy and the LATCH works as needed.

Are you trying to say that you can safely fit 3 childrens' car seats of ANY kind across the rear bench of an E90, coupe or sedan? If so, I'm flat-out calling bullshit because there isn't enough physical space back there for this, period, and if you're doing this, you're doing this unsafely and I mean that not in a internet-hyperbole sort of way, but in a "you really shouldn't do this because you're putting your kids' lives at risk" sort of way.

PS: re: 3 across for those of you that must consider it - I maintain the diamond in the rough for any of you is a 2015-2017 Chevy SS. LS3, manual, 3 LATCH across the massive back seat, faster than an M235i at Willow Springs in the hands of Randy Pobst (both cars.)

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

How are modernish (say, 2015ish) 3 series as daily drivers? I'm looking for something that has a stick, rwd, and at least Bluetooth, preferably car play. Are E90 335is getting a bit long in the tooth at this point?

They're fine? A little bit bigger and a little bit softer than previous generations, but since you need the size it can't be a con. If you're worried about "softer" get one with the M sport or adaptive suspension.

e: Obviously, what I am really saying is just get the M3 :getin:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

SlapActionJackson posted:

They're fine? A little bit bigger and a little bit softer than previous generations, but since you need the size it can't be a con. If you're worried about "softer" get one with the M sport or adaptive suspension.

e: Obviously, what I am really saying is just get the M3 :getin:

I have an F30 335xi, with the m performance tune, and it has adaptive suspension. It's pretty nice, my only real complaint is the adaptive steering, but I think I've managed to come to terms with it (by forgetting any comparison).

Only have one kid, and the Peg Perego rear facing fits fine behind my seat, and I'm 5'11". Trunk space goes fast, but we make it work for week long trips to my parents.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Tremek posted:

Are you trying to say that you can safely fit 3 childrens' car seats of ANY kind across the rear bench of an E90, coupe or sedan? If so, I'm flat-out calling bullshit because there isn't enough physical space back there for this, period, and if you're doing this, you're doing this unsafely and I mean that not in a internet-hyperbole sort of way, but in a "you really shouldn't do this because you're putting your kids' lives at risk" sort of way.

PS: re: 3 across for those of you that must consider it - I maintain the diamond in the rough for any of you is a 2015-2017 Chevy SS. LS3, manual, 3 LATCH across the massive back seat, faster than an M235i at Willow Springs in the hands of Randy Pobst (both cars.)

No, if you read my post I make note that I can't fit three car seats in the back, but it works fine with rear and front facing seats.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

No, if you read my post I make note that I can't fit three car seats in the back, but it works fine with rear and front facing seats.

OK good. Re: rear facing it's also worth noting that the angle and profile of a rear-facing infant seat is going to be more-flat/less-upright (and therefore take up more horizontal space) versus the more-upright convertible seats we move kids into shortly thereafter. TLDR the infant seats take up an enormous amount of room. This link shows a '13 3 series sedan being fitted with a bunch of seats; stolen from that page, below you can see the very different horizontal profile of an infant seat:

Versus a convertible (more upright, but still large:)

PS if you do this in a coupe you'll hate your life regardless because you're either crawling into the back seat with the infant to sit beside them to buckle them in, or probably trying and failing to lift the removable infant seat in & out of the car because the front seats are in the way. No fun either way.

Bonus shots:

Rear-facing convertible in a Chevy SS (note it's not making contact with the passenger seat there...)

3 across:

So very few cars have 3 LATCH across or even just enough room (save quad-cab pickups) or a flat enough rear bench to put 3 across like this. If any of y'all have more than 2 kids... Food for thought.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hello fuckers.

I ordered a new mini. Now I have 2 BMW’s.

Tell me about Bimmercode on the iPhone have any of you used it??