Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

unseenlibrarian posted:

The Japanese writing team has literally said "We weren't expecting the Garlean Sympathizers so we're trying to make them more evil to make it clearer."
lol, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Captain Cappy posted:

I think at some point someone in Azim Steppe mentioned that it makes no sense how few people there are in each tribe. Does Varis's speech imply that everyone was split up across the different shards of Hyda-mom? Is that something we already knew?

I don't remember anybody saying there were too few tribespeople in the Steppe, but I do remember someone mentioning that living conditions in the Steppe are so harsh that not many people can even survive it (which is why the Garleans never bothered to try to conquer it).

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Splash Attack posted:

he's a teaser. at the end of the raid quest, he shows up at the lighthouse with a bunch of imperials in a cutscene to show that the empire is Up To Things and possibly hinting at more stuff in the future.

if this plot thread gets dropped or glossed over in the next expac, as has sometimes been the case with past plot threads that were actually important to people who aren't me, then i tell you i am going to be very extremely cross

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Solovey posted:

if this plot thread gets dropped or glossed over in the next expac, as has sometimes been the case with past plot threads that were actually important to people who aren't me, then i tell you i am going to be very extremely cross

Perhaps Shadowbringer will be the xpac where we finally give Cid his goggles.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, there's clearly something going on with Varis, insofar as he's clearly loyal to Garlemald-the-fascist-empire and not Garlemald-the-plan-to-throw-the-world-into-chaos-to-worship-an-evil-god.

I can see believing that he's not completely upfront about his motivations, given that his plan as told to the Alliance is "we have to be strong enough to get rid of the Ascians, so we should go along with their plans 100% in hopes that this will give us the power we need," which is... dumb.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
The problem with Garlemald (besides internet fascists aligning with them) is that even if their ethics are abominable, they are still the coolest dudes currently kicking around in the plot. They have the coolest tech, a cohesive style and currently they are getting the best voice actors. None of the scions have any real personality except Alisaie and Alphinaud. Kan-E and Raubahn are super boring. Merlwyb is cool, but almost doesn't exist. Nanamo and Aymeric are cool since they don't have trash ethics and a personality, but poofy pants'd lalafel and knight with sword don't really stand up to revolving katana holster and the level of insane ham we've seen from Solus. It also doesn't help that all of the defected Garleans we've run into are also all more interesting than most of their counterparts.

SE just needs to buckle down and write interesting good guys again, like they did during hw.

Fake Edit: Hien is so uncool I forgot he existed until I was just about to hit the post button.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Failboattootoot posted:

Kan-E and Raubahn are super boring.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Raubahn hasn't done anything cool since 2.55. :colbert:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
me and my friends are the coolest people in the story, actually.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There's plenty of interesting good guys

Nashu Mhakaracca
Umm.... F'lhaminn Qesh
Alpha?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

There's plenty of interesting good guys

Nashu Mhakaracca
Umm.... F'lhaminn Qesh
Alpha?

Hoary Boulder

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I don't remember anybody saying there were too few tribespeople in the Steppe, but I do remember someone mentioning that living conditions in the Steppe are so harsh that not many people can even survive it (which is why the Garleans never bothered to try to conquer it).

The Steppes we see is just a central gathering place for a larger region. There are many more trobes and parts of the steppes we do not see.

The other reflections of Hydaelyn are completely separate worlds, that is not why you see relatively few people in the Steppes. You see relatively few people because it is a videogame that relies on abstraction for larger populations.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Samael posted:

Hoary Boulder

the girl that wants to have a threesome with hoary and his brother

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
The other thing re:Garlemald sympathizes and people thinking they are right, is that to some extent they are right. Shadowbringers is literally about us throwing the balance between light and dark so far out of whack that the Warrior of Light has to embrace the darkness to save the world again.

Ideas of racial purity and literally being Hitler or whatever aside of course.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Except Garlemald doesn't actually give a poo poo about the balance of dark and light. They care about (aside from the upper echelons who are all hopped up on Ascian garbage) eikons and the threat of them, to the point they believe genocidal tyranny is the only somution that will stop eikon activity. And even this bit is partially a farce, because Garlemald's big "example" of eikons/primals being a danger to the world (The Burn) is almost definitely that way because of Allag fuckery and not Primals draining it.

That's not to say Primals can't do something like that, but the whole thing about hating the beastmen and their primals and people who worship has had a ton of holes poked into it to show its overexaggerated and hypocritcal at best.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Does anyone know what the supposed 1 time cutscene is for the new raid? Supposedly Yoship said it wasn’t going to be in the cutscene book, but this is 2nd hand info.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Phone posted:

Does anyone know what the supposed 1 time cutscene is for the new raid? Supposedly Yoship said it wasn’t going to be in the cutscene book, but this is 2nd hand info.

I assume its the cutscene after completing the end of the Monastery with OG Ramza and crew

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
I don't understand how crazy emperor guy is going to accomplish his goal of destroying the multi-verse and creating one universe with one master race and a world government.
Everyone refuses to help this madman due to all the genocide he's planning to do but I would think that it is fine to say you're going to work together with the understanding that both sides will betray each-other once we defeat the alien conspiracy trying to destroy the multi-verse.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Garleans look cool.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

macfam posted:

I don't understand how crazy emperor guy is going to accomplish his goal of destroying the multi-verse and creating one universe with one master race and a world government.
Everyone refuses to help this madman due to all the genocide he's planning to do but I would think that it is fine to say you're going to work together with the understanding that both sides will betray each-other once we defeat the alien conspiracy trying to destroy the multi-verse.

It's not super clear because he doesn't even get his master race until all the worlds are destroyed and the Ascians get their way.

sitcom bathysphere
Jun 7, 2017
I’m just now finishing the ARR MSQ. I’m very tired of being the Warrior of Light / Chosen One and hoping that aspect of my role gets seriously de-emphasized in Heavensward & beyond

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Raubahn hasn't done anything cool since 2.55. :colbert:

The fight during the GC mock battle was cool and that was 3.something :colbert:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If Varis is so cool how come he has a ittle bitty tusk coming out of his sternum. If his goofball son had to worry about getting his beautiful locks stuck in his gorget, at least he didn't risk trepanning himself if he nodded off during the work-day.

Anyway people cathecting onto the Garleans in a weird way is absolutely unsurprising. Nerd media and its fans have always had a vexed relationship with authoritarian bad guys, one which the creators of that media seem habitually unable to navigate safely. Dr. Doom from Marvel comics is a despot who's subjects live in a compelled but terrified pantomime of happiness, but writers and fans alike have wasted ink for 60 years trying to redeem him. The 90's Star Trek series Deep Space Nine had a totally vile and morally vile villain, the leader of an occupation government, but fan culture at the time jumped through every hoop possible to make him into a tragic hero, leading to a weird war of escalation in which the writers kept giving him more and more unhinged and depraved stuff to do in an attempt to combat this. Guess what! It didn't really work!

I think part of it is that authoritarian characters and groups tap into some of the ugliest ingrained parts of nerd or geek or fan culture-- a certain subset of those communities, especially going back into the 80s and 90s, after the last crumbs of 70s counterculture residue was flaking off, has always been envious and adoring of bare power, and people who use that power in an amoral, cod-Nietzschean way. It's certainly easier to say "I love Grand Moff Tarkin because he's strong" than "I hate myself because I'm weak." It's why photos of Proud Boys groups are full of guys who look like they'd be more at home having apoplectic fits on GameFAQs. It gives them a chance to feel like the strong, confident villains they've always sort of wanted to win.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
One thing that's slightly bugging me: Solus implies that Varis is responsible for the creation of Black Rose, but we know that it existed during Solus's reign, since Gaius ordered it destroyed during his time as a legatus. Unless Varis just invented it before his gramps popped his clogs? Come to think of it, what was Varis actually doing prior to becoming emperor, other than being a vocal opponent of dropping the moon on us?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Actually it's just because they have roto-golfbags full of katanas.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I liked the Empire a lot more when they weren't quite so transparently evil? Like, back in the ARR days they were interesting because they had an understandable goal (stop primal summoning everywhere) with good reasons behind it (sucks the life out of everything), but their method of going about reaching that goal was utterly abhorrent. I could understand where they were coming from, even if I didn't agree with their methods.

But now it turns out they're cartoonishly evil master-racers being masterminded by a spooky space ghost, and that's a bit of a letdown for me since they feel a bit more one-dimensional. I get that we're not supposed to sympathize with them since they're the Bad Guys Doing Bad Things, but I feel like there should be at least some depth there.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

macfam posted:

The Emperor himself... his goals are pretty clear (1. Get Master Race. 2. Kill Ascians with Master Race.) but his plans to actually pull off such seem to mostly be let the Ascians do their thing until 1. happens through natural course of the Ascian's Calamity-plots. Every Calamity supposedly also involves the end of one of the Worlds or something, and even the least informed of the Eorzian Alliance figured out that requiring half a dozen more world-altering disasters before starting their anti-Ascian offensive isn't in the best interests of anyone (while the smarter ones ever pointed out that it also involved the end of billions of lives for the worlds lost in each Calamity.)

Saigyouji posted:

One thing that's slightly bugging me: Solus implies that Varis is responsible for the creation of Black Rose, but we know that it existed during Solus's reign, since Gaius ordered it destroyed during his time as a legatus. Unless Varis just invented it before his gramps popped his clogs? Come to think of it, what was Varis actually doing prior to becoming emperor, other than being a vocal opponent of dropping the moon on us?

Spoiler probably not needed, but: Varis had to be doing something in the some forty-odd years of life he had before becoming Emperor. I remember back during the whole bit with him ascending to the throne that he was some kind of military leader, so it'd make sense he'd be in the weapon development business too.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The Invalice storyline is so bad it's the first time I've ever skipped a cutscene in this game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, there's clearly something going on with Varis, insofar as he's clearly loyal to Garlemald-the-fascist-empire and not Garlemald-the-plan-to-throw-the-world-into-chaos-to-worship-an-evil-god.

I can see believing that he's not completely upfront about his motivations, given that his plan as told to the Alliance is "we have to be strong enough to get rid of the Ascians, so we should go along with their plans 100% in hopes that this will give us the power we need," which is... dumb.

No I think he's totally down with the chaos timeline if it results in empowering Emperor Dracula. He clearly wasn't expecting that was the plan all along (even though Solus chides him for somehow not putting 2 and 2 together all this time) but his speech in front of the alliance made it seem like he's now all for collapsing the shards into one now as long as he comes out on top, and wants to borrow the WoL to get rid of the Ascians for him as soon as he thinks he can get away with betraying them.

He's not angry at Solus for manipulating the empire, he's angry at Solus for belittling him personally. He's smart but vain as hell and the fact that he only showed up at the table in the hopes that they'd give him the chance to monolog kinda proves it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

No I think he's totally down with the chaos timeline if it results in empowering Emperor Dracula. He clearly wasn't expecting that was the plan all along (even though Solus chides him for somehow not putting 2 and 2 together all this time) but his speech in front of the alliance made it seem like he's now all for collapsing the shards into one now as long as he comes out on top, and wants to borrow the WoL to get rid of the Ascians for him as soon as he thinks he can get away with betraying them.

He's not angry at Solus for manipulating the empire, he's angry at Solus for belittling him personally. He's smart but vain as hell and the fact that he only showed up at the table in the hopes that they'd give him the chance to monolog kinda proves it.

Remember, he's the guy who, in his first appearance, spits on Solus' casket. Despite all pretensions to the contrary - and he carries those pretensions well - he's as power hungry and megalomaniacal as they come.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Anyway, my main takeaway from the 4.5 story, other than "those Nazis sure are Nazis", is that if anything more permanent happens to either Alisaie or Alphinaud, I'm entirely ready to personally throw down with Zodiark and/or any Ascians.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rainuwastaken posted:

I liked the Empire a lot more when they weren't quite so transparently evil? Like, back in the ARR days they were interesting because they had an understandable goal (stop primal summoning everywhere) with good reasons behind it (sucks the life out of everything), but their method of going about reaching that goal was utterly abhorrent. I could understand where they were coming from, even if I didn't agree with their methods.

But now it turns out they're cartoonishly evil master-racers being masterminded by a spooky space ghost, and that's a bit of a letdown for me since they feel a bit more one-dimensional. I get that we're not supposed to sympathize with them since they're the Bad Guys Doing Bad Things, but I feel like there should be at least some depth there.

Good news

They’re both. It just depends which Garleans you’re referring to. What the rank and file believe is not necessarily what the people at the top believe.

One key thing though, it’s important to remember the Garleans conquered their entire continent BEFORE Solus had the grand epiphany about Primals so uh

The Primal thing was always a fig leaf casus belli to justify the imperialism they already had in mind. It’s propaganda, a national myth. It deceives people both in and out of game.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 9, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m just gonna say that I take exception to the suggestion that a cat girl wizard with magic Daredevil eyes who’s living in borrowed time, says poignant cutting remarks that emasculate posturing meatheads like Magnai, is a less interesting character than a bunch of greasy looking Darth Vader and Palpatine clones, whose ranks don’t even Include Gaius anymore.

The Scions also have Krile, who is worth 10 Aymerics.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

People L O V E to support people who point out flaws while offering shaky solutions. People like the Emperor now because they point out that the good guys are pirates and the allies are also very, very violent. That part gets the attention, then the rest of it gets thrown under the rug.

It's typical pro-fascist poo poo. Maybe you are aware of the comment pertaining to Mussolini that goes something like "yes he was bad but for the first time ever the trains ran on time"?

Video games were a mistake.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've seen people speculate (MSQ) That Varis is hamming it up to get the alliance riled up in a way to spite Solus, or that it wasn't actually Varis at the table (since Solus comments right before that ascians can change form at will it's just tiring to do so or whatever). Dunno how plausible either of these are, but I could see one of them being true. Varis seemed very 'out of character' in how he acted and how emotive he was during the parlay that makes me think somethings up. Or maybe I'm just hopeful cuz him being played entirely straight is boring. I don't think he's a secret good guy or something but I could definitely buy him being mad enough at his empire being a little Ascian project that he'd do something just to get back at his grandpappy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Nodosaur posted:

The Scions also have Krile, who is worth 10 Aymerics.

Oh you mean Eureka Garbage Boy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Renegret posted:

The Invalice storyline is so bad it's the first time I've ever skipped a cutscene in this game.

:same:

i mean, i've skipped some before for reasons not related and then went back and watched them in the diary, here i was watching and ended up just skipping a couple because ughhhhh

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are there any pants similar to the Ivalician Samurai's Tsutsu-hakama. Aka big poofy samurai pants. Looking to make a glamour for my samurai and I'd like pants very similar to that but dyeable.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

Oh you mean Eureka Garbage Boy

Wha

Krile is a girl, and has existed since Heavensward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Lalas do not really have sexes anyways no matter how much the erps want them to.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 9, 2019