Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

First drop bears, now drop signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guess that's why almost all road signs are affixed at the top and bottom.

Wonder why that one was done that way, and who's gonna lose their job over it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

netwerk23 posted:

I think I saw them, or their twins, doing that oil change on the Veyron video, posted a few days ago. It looked like every bolt they removed they just piled up on the lift in various, unlabeled places. Have a little pride and professionalism, no matter the vehicle's value!

Yeah, that struck me too. Perhaps it is built like a tank.

But doing service on a Carrera GT requires special jigs for the lift.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

xzzy posted:

Guess that's why almost all road signs are affixed at the top and bottom.

Wonder why that one was done that way, and who's gonna lose their job over it.

The company that recently did the roadworks there is blaming their contractor who installed the signs who will probably blame the apprentice

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's both a failure (of the cutoff wheel) and a spectacular success (safety glasses!)
I recently got cataract surgery and LASIK, and I'm being paranoid about my eyes, now that I don't even have the at least marginal additional safety of my glasses.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I hope that had the optional brown interior. :stare:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Darchangel posted:

That's both a failure (of the cutoff wheel) and a spectacular success (safety glasses!)
I recently got cataract surgery and LASIK, and I'm being paranoid about my eyes, now that I don't even have the at least marginal additional safety of my glasses.
He is lucky and should have been wearing a shield instead of glasses. If that hit his face or worse, neck, he'd be hosed.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I bought a parts car. It is a bad car.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Is that the trunk lining mooning you?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
That is the fuel tank.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FatCow posted:

That is the fuel tank.

Terrific!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's a metal shield meant to protect the plastic fuel tank from being punctured by debris. To prevent it from chafing the tank, they line it with moisture-retaining materials :downs:

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

FatCow posted:

I bought a parts car. It is a bad car.

Nice Miata

(my shield came off in about 30 pieces)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Dagen H posted:

It's a metal shield meant to protect the plastic fuel tank from being punctured by debris. To prevent it from chafing the tank, they line it with moisture-retaining materials :downs:

Cool.

Story.

Bro.

I have no idea how a car so hosed ended up in the southeast.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 11, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FatCow posted:

Someone escaping the frozen north realised that this was as far as their car was going to take them and sold it for parts.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The front rails on mine are worse, though that's really only the bad spot. Such is life.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FatCow posted:

Cool.

Story.

Bro.

However did you get pictures of the '02 4Runner that my sister impulse-bought for $4200 without consulting me first

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FatCow posted:

Snowbirds. Or lots of driving on the beach.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Or it's a flood car.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

FatCow posted:

Cool.

Those front rails look crappy. Mine started life in Massachusetts and spent its first 4 years there, then moved to Houston for it's following 20. The worst I have is the monster holes in my rockers. I drive it all cut up, it's fine. :tif:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
My safety glasses saved my eye from a length of schedule 80 tube departing a bender today, and I'd like it known that I appreciate it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao my coworker who has a 2 year old 2016 jetta GLI with 66k goddamned miles on it already complained that she was having trouble getting it into reverse this morning.

i offered to take a look at it and i absolutely could not get it into gear with a reasonable amount of force. clutch pedal felt light but it simply didnt want to go into gear. my thought was that the clutch was done.

i watched her put her whole body weight into shifting (grinding the gears) and get it going into first and off to the dealer

dealer diagnosis for a new clutch assy and trans

3300+tax

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sooo is that a warranty thing or is that user error?

I'm inclined to think that "was throwing her body weight into the shifter, didn't think anything major was wrong" points to the latter

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nah powertrain warranty ends at 60k miles :v:

dont be a lyft driver even if you're unemployed, you're simply converting a warranty to cash.

she mentioned this problem starting just yesterday so i dont think it was caused by her doing that...it was just the only way to get it into gear at this point

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That'll hurt. Same clutch as the MK7 GTI?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

sharkytm posted:

Or it's a flood car.

I'm leaning towards this or beach car. If I cared more I'd pull up the VIN on Carfax, but it'll be a fridge in 6 months.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

That'll hurt. Same clutch as the MK7 GTI?

IDK but she told me she paid like 26-27k for it and I was like woaaaah

She left to take it to a friend's shop who would do the work for half that price? Not sure how you cut that bill in half unless labor is free

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think that is around what I paid for my GTI since it was before dieselgate came out, unfortunately.

I could see someone trying to just do a clutch disk slap job.... but that flywheel / pp is probably psychedelic looking :lol:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Didn't that quote include the transmission? $3300 for a new 'box for a ~2 year old car is actually pretty drat good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah she said new transmission but IDK that seems awfully cheap buuuut I would hope the only reason they are selling 5 speed manual transmissions in modern times is because they are cheap as hell

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah she said new transmission but IDK that seems awfully cheap buuuut I would hope the only reason they are selling 5 speed manual transmissions in modern times is because they are cheap as hell

I'd have thought a GLI would be a six speed?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
66k miles and the clutch went? God she must have always had it depressed

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That pedal on the left is for resting your foot, right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/Ld6qgp5.mp4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Well, at least they drove it till the wheels fell off.

˙ƃuᴉɥʇ dǝǝſ ɐ s,ʇI

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
"Nah dude, it'll stay on long enough to get onto the trailer, we'll fix it when we get home."

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I think the story there was there were no brakes on the car, or they weren't working at all. They of course knew this before driving it onto a rollback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I love how the wheel came off before it rolled.